2016 Dodge Charger engine NHTSA complaints: Engine

NHTSA — Engine Problems

2016 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Dodge Charger:

2016 Dodge Charger Owner Comments

Sep 142018

Charger

My wife bought me a 2016 Dodge hellcat labor day weekend sale, this was a present 9/1/2018 I bought the Lincoln 9/2/2018 she bought me the hellcat. When my wife went back to the dealership, they never took my wife out to test drive the car or gave her the car fax report or pointed out any defects. The dealer also told my wife that we were the second owners. I had to buy a carfax report to find out and argue with the dealership that I was the 3rd owner. My wife bought the hellcat 9/2/2018 and I had it back at the dealership 9/14/2018 for multiple issues 1. rattling in the front every time drive over a bump 2. the vehicle would pull to the right. 3. a piece of paint on the back bumper where the trunk met the bumper had damage. 4. tires where balled on the inside tire and less than 1/32 on the outside tire. All these issues were a fight and should've never been questioned, the dealership knew about these problems and I still had to fight, I ended up paying for 2 tires the dealership had my car for 49 days at the crown motors of redding. The only issues resolved was the tires and paint chip. Then 11/12/18 to 12/3/2018 the car was back in the shop a second time for the same problem at the Dodge roseville auto mall to fix the rattling problems in the front. In between the dates from 11/12 ¿ 12/3 the dealership called me up and said my vehicle was ready. Myself and the service manager test drove it and discovered that the noise was still not fixed. 12/3/2018 we drove it again and the noise was finally fixed but the pulling to the right still appeared to still be happening. I was told that's common after a wheel alignment I wanted to disagree, but I had no more fight left in me especially after finding out about my wife's medical problems. I¿M just disgusted with the whole situation especially with the owner of crown motors and I had a case with the BBB that I won.

- Redding, CA, USA

Jun 152018

Charger

SE apagÓ mientras manejaba por lo que SE remplazo de bomba de gasolina en agosto 2017 Y de nuevo en junio de 2018 encendiÓ la luz del motor en el panel, ruido fuerte en el motor. Remplazo de tapa de bloque septiembre 2017 Y de nuevo en junio de 2018

- Ponce, PR, USA

Jun 092018

Charger

After driving on a highway at normal highway speeds, I parked my car in a motel parking lot, got out, and noticed oil sprayed onto the passenger side front and back doors including part of the rear bumper, saw oil sprayed on the passenger front tire, and noticed a puddle of oil on the ground under the passenger front door. After checking the oil dipstick, it registered zero oil. No warning lights or sound alerted me that the oil level was low. I towed my car to the dealer and they found that an oil cooler hose ruptured and resulted in complete oil loss. It is still in the shop waiting for a replacement hose. This defective hose problem was found on 2017 Charger models that could result in engine seizure or fire and they will be recalled in September 2018. Apparently some 2016 models have the same problem. I want to make sure the replacement hose the dealer ordered is a new type designed not to fail like the original equipment to avoid a potential disaster in the future while I'm driving the car.

- Trinidad, CO, USA

Oct 192017

17V097 recall TO3

- Maryesther, FL, USA

Mar 242017

• 1,600,000 miles
I was driving on the highway. Pulled off highway into gas station and gassed up. When trying to start engine it made a heavy, thunking sound while trying to turn over. Got it towed to a garage where they said the engine dropped a valve and needed to be replaced. Then had it towed to another garage and got the same exact diagnosis - dropped a valve, cylinder destroyed, engine a total loss and needs to be replaced. The owner of the second garage said dropping a valve is a problem with the V8 2006 Charger.

- Largo, FL, USA

Apr 042017

Charger

After filling my Charger up with premium fuel, it immediately stalls without warning while I am driving, I lose the power steering and I am unable restart it right away. It happens every time I fill up, and I have paid over $500 dollars to the dealership to trouble shoot it, and they do not have a clue. Very dangerous feeling. Someone will be killed from this issue, it comes at varying times.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Feb 032017

Car stalls while driving

- Crown Point, IN, USA

Jan 102017

Charger

I bought a car Dodge Charger 2016 srt from saudi arabia alkhobar umc (united motors company) Dodge dealer show room I received the car on 23rd March 2016. All regular maintenance are done in umc center since then. - in April 2016: Heard strange sound from the front wheels: First time I gave the car umc service center and they changed the right wheel bearing heard same sound again from front wheels the second day: Second time I gave the car to umc service center and they changed the left wheel bearing in December 2016 after 37000 km I started seeing the following: 1- message in the dashboard "transmission temperature too high" 2- strange sound coming from the gearbox 3- strange sound and vibration coming from the engine third time: I gave the car to umc service center and it stayed for three days then they said nothing is wrong with the car, so I asked them to have an engineer to test it, the engineer drove the car and speed up to 200 km/hr and he heard strange sound from the car and acknowledged the car problem forth time: I gave the car to umc service center, they acknowledged the problems with gearbox and engine, and they kept the car now for almost one week. They informed me two days ago that they have to replace the gearbox and also they have to disassemble the engine and change the 16 hydraulic valves of the engine, due to my complaint they told me today that no gearbox repalcement will be done I am not accepting to buy top end car srt from Dodge then I have all of these problems in the car. The dealer in saudi is refusing to do the above and refusing to help or support by even raising it to usa head quarters so I took the following actions: 1- sent multiple emails to Dodge fca group management 2- contacted the usa customer service hot line to file a complaint 3- I filed a complaint in the saudi consumer product safety against umc

- Alkhobar, CA, USA

Jan 162017

Charger 8-cyl

Smell coming out blower from coming under hood. Dealer can not find a problem is burnt smell when have blower going when driving the car. I had three different times this happen.I do not I know what to do. I reach to Dodge and it is now has records of it. I found oil under engine cover which they have said enough about!!!!!!!! so if this car catch fire or blow up do to dealer was aware of issues.

- Spanaway, WA, USA

May 042016

Charger

The contact owned a 2016 Dodge Charger. While the vehicle was parked, the contact noticed that the front of the vehicle was on fire. The fire department extinguished the fire. A police and a fire report were filed. No injuries were reported. The fire department determined the engine was the result of the fire. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 4,200.

- Jupiter, FL, USA