Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have already caught on fire.

2005 Dodge Durango drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Durango:

2005 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Feb 282018

About 2 weeks ago, my 4lo light would blink and then go off, and then my svc 4WD light would go on for about 4min. I took it into my mechanic, he could not find anything. Today, as I was backing out of my driveway - with my 3 kids, all my wheels locked up and I could not drive it. Mind you, I am in the middle of the street now. When I got out of my car I could hear my car trying to shift from 4lo/4hi/AWD. I had to call my husband to come home to get my car off the street. In looking up this matter online, there seems to be alot of issues with this and seems to be a huge safety issue when you're talking about your car shifting from AWD to 4lo or 4hi - thankfully, I was not on the highway going 55. We were able to get it to the mechanic and you can hear it trying to shift when the vehicle is off - no key or anything - wow! mechanic said I was very lucky. I would highly suggest someone looking into this issue, it seems to be a pretty widely known issue.

- Cologne, MN, USA

Nov 292017

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. On multiple occasions, while driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle attempted to stall. The contact heard a clicking noise underneath the vehicle and the 4 low warning indicator illuminated. The dealer (larry H. miller Dodge peoria at (480) 865-3986 (8665 w bell rd, peoria, AZ 85382) stated that there were no recalls on the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000.

- Cave Creek, AZ, USA

Oct 062017

While driving the 4 wheel drive kicks in and out without moving switch to 4 wheel drive

- Daniels, WV, USA

Jun 082017

When turning and driving at slow speeds, wheels lock up like brakes are on, not letting car move. Has on occasion when driving at speeds of 40 to 55, transmission does not go into overdrive. Of all the complaints I've read, I wish Dodge would admit they have a problem. I don't want this to lock up at highway speeds. Thank you

- Wausau, WI, USA

Oct 012017

Was driving at a low rate of speed making a left turn into a parking spot and heard a huge clunk as if I hit a pot hole then the car became very sluggish as if something was slowing it down. I thought maybe I blew a tire so I got out and looked but the tires were fine. I then backed into the parking spot then drove forward a little and it seemed fine. I put it in park and turned off the ignition, then heard like an air compressor noise letting out air. It stopped after a few seconds. When I came out of the store it drove fine but the svc 4WD light came on, then back off. When I am travelling at lower rates of speed the light intermittently comes on and off and I haven't heard the clunk again but just now as I was making a left again at a slow speed the car came almost completely to a stop.

- Highland Falls, NY, USA

Mar 152017

My Dodge Durango limited started shifting from and to 4WD and the service 4WD light came on. The vehicle began shifting randomly wile driving down the hwy. It will shift into 4wl wile driving 60 miles per hour down the road. This is going to get someone killed!

- Pagosa Springs, CO, USA

May 312017

I bought this Durango used. I looked up recalls before I bought it to make sure nothing really bad was an issue. 2 days after I bought it it started shifting into 4 high and 4 low by itself, while I was driving. Fortunately it did not shift into 4 low while I was at high speeds, but it did it once while I was pulling out of a parking lot at about 10 mph and could have caused an accident very easily since I came to a complete stop, had to put it in neutral, play with the shift knob to get it back into AWD. After that I went home. When it is parked and off, you can hear the tranfer case actuator shifting into 4 wheel drive in and out on its own. I did some research and unplugged the actuator until I can get this resolved so that I can safely drive this vehicle. This needs to be a recall, I have read hundreds of reports just like mine. It is a very common problem with this vehicle, and it is very dangerous unless the actuator is unplugged so that it cannot shift. The dealerships don't know how to fix it. Some of the reports I read, the owner has spent thousands, and still the problem persists! that is why I have not attempted to fix the problem on my own by replacing any parts.

- Gentry, AR, USA

Aug 292017

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While driving 50 mph, the service 4 wheel drive warning indicator illuminated and the vehicle went in and out of 4 wheel drive automatically. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The approximate failure mileage was 113,000.

- Barnhart, MO, USA

May 012017

Vehicle switches into 4X4 with vehicle turned off Chrysler says they don't know what's wrong but if you go to car lots and lots of people have this problem and no one will help us cause is transfer case motor engages on its own causing our car to lock 4X4 and yes vehicle will skid around corners and is dangerus

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jul 032017

Started with the ser 4 wheel drive light coming on intermitly..then passenger side window intermitly stops the transfer case motor switches all by its self into 4 wheel lock and 4 wheel lo with no lights on the dash..when its in 4 wheel lock its very hard to drive and turning almost imposable this creates a very unsafe condition when your driving when its in lock you can barely get out of a parking spot or get turned around even more scary on the road when it shifts all by its self..many times no lights on the dash to tell you it has changed...other time while driving at highway speeds the 4 lock of 4 lo lights come on..very dangerous...sometime the key fob also makes the transfer case motor change when the truck is not even running

- Georgetown, AA, USA

Jul 132017

"takata recall" I took the Durango to orange coast Dodge in costa mesa to fix the recall. They inserted a diagnostic device that showed that the air bag system was off line. No warning light was showing on the dash. When starting the vehicle the airbag light and the restraint system indicators on the dash light up for a few seconds then go off. The dealer ran a diagnostics and found that the airbag system was not initialized and that the warning light does not come on because the vehicle computer cannot connect to the system. He said its as if the system is not installed. The service associate said that he's seen this before and doesn't know for sure how it happens - maybe a voltage spike or battery issue. They performed the recall, initialized the system, tested and say everything works. Cost me $155. How will I know for sure that my airbags are online if the indicators don't show me? I had a front end collision in the vehicle in 2015 and the airbags did not deploy - see attached photo. After the collision the transfer case motor was stuck in 4 wheel drive mode even though the switch is in AWD position. At no time have I seen any indicator on the dash that shows the air bags or restraint system not working.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Jun 012017

I vehicle likes to turn its 4 wheel drive on while I am making turns. Also when it is parked you can hear the 4 wheel drive system making clicking noises. This happens when the vehicle is turned off and the key is not in the ignition. I have read thousands of complaints about this same problem. I see that some people have spent thousands of dollars to fix this problem and it does not. Some people have stated while driving on a highway or road it has kicked in and caused traffic accidents, some serious and some minors. When will this problem be addresses" will it take someone dying to get an investigation started" I have had this problem for a couple of years and thank god, nothing has happen to me or my family when this issues happens.

- Pueblo, CO, USA

May 012015

The transfer case shifts by its self.the vehicle shifts into lock all on it's own, then the svc 4WD light comes on. Sometimes when the vehicle is turned off you can hear the transfer shift back and forth from AWD to 4 lock now its stuck in 4lo this happens stationary and in motion.

- Blackwood, NJ, USA

Mar 252017

The transfer case puts itself into 4 wheel drive while driving. It also seems to be affected by the door locking mechanism as you can hear the transfer case moving. When it's in 4 wheel drive it makes turning very difficult and dangerous because it just won't turn. I am grounding this vehicle and will have it towed to Dodge but after reading all the posts about these vehicles it appears Dodge doesn't know how to fix it either.

- Arroyo Grande, CA, USA

Jan 152017

The vehicle doesn't want to drive like the brake is on this happens even worse when trying to turn.the service 4 wheel drive light is on.I got on a forum and was blown away by all the people having the same problem.some say electrical some say transfer case.they was 2005 or all in this area.the vehicle only has 69000 miles on it.

- Grove City, OH, USA

Mar 092017

While traveling on I-90 eastbound at 70 mph my 05 Dodge Durango suddenly lost momentum and the engine RPM went up. I managed to get to the shoulder safely. The engine was still running and the vehicle still in gear but the vehicle failed to move. The vehicle was towed to a repair facility just off the next closest exit. Examination showed the transmission fluid was okay, the repair facility found the torque converter had been stripped out. This vehicle had been displaying problems with the transfer case shifting without touching the selector switch. Also you could hear the transfer case motor activating while unlocking the doors "?" research has shown that there are many such incidences of problems with this vehicle. Repair costs me $1403. But the vehicle is still doing the same thing. There are reports of people changing out parts with no fix. I feel this vehicle is unsafe and the dealer should recall before someone gets killed. Repair facility said my torque converter had been totally stripped out as a result of whatever caused the problem. I am disheartened as I like this vehicle but can't afford to spend thousands of dollars chasing a fix that many including dealers have been unable to resolve. Whatever assistance would be greatly appreciated. See

- Spokane, WA, USA

Dec 152016

4lo light blinks or stays on for short periods and the 44 locks for no apparent reason causing the vehicle to jerk and become hard to control in turning and nearly impossible to make a sharp turn until it disengages. This happens in city driving or stopping and starting or on back road driving. It can be fine when I park it and when I unlock get in and start out it may or may not lock into 44 but when it does it becomes extremely difficult to maneuver in tight parking spaces. I feels like the power train is going to fall completely appart.

- Shinnston, WV, USA

Jan 012016

My vehicle will kick into 4X4 lo with no warning or notice. Happens on tight turns. Seems this is a huge problem on 2004-2005 Dodge druango.

- Pueblo, CO, USA

Jan 252017

My Durango shift into 4WD lo while driving and turning. The motor also engages when the the car is locked and unlocked. The motor also engages and disengages for unknown reasons when it is parked and the key is off. This has happened multiple times. I have had it in the shop on multiple occasions to fix this problem

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Feb 142016

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While driving at any speed, the vehicle lost power without warning. The vehicle was pulled over and restarted. The dealer was unable to diagnose the failure. The failure recurred several times. The manufacturer was made aware of the complaint, but did not assist. The failure was not remedied. The failure mileage was approximately 86,000.

- Kingsland, GA, USA