6.9

$90

2. remove & reinsert the 20 amp iod fuse (53 reports)
  3. disconnected battery for 1 minute (11 reports)
  4. remove and reinsert BCM #1 fuse (7 reports)
  5. update firmware in body control module (BCM) (7 reports)
  6. dealer charged me to reflash the computer (4 reports)
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Oct 272011

Grand Caravan XT V6

I cannot lock or unlock the doors with the key fab, but the unlock and lock noise works and it lock and unlocks my gate still.

- Brandy S., Knoxville, IA, USA

Apr 012013

Grand Caravan SXT

Not hard to fix, just annoying and caused some stuff to get stolen from the car.

- Kevin H., Pensacola, USA

Sep 012014

Grand Caravan LX 3

The electrical door locks stop working randomly. Not sure why. If I pull the IOD fuse out for a few minutes, the locks reset, but recurs randomly (may be 3 days or 3 months, but ALWAYS recurs. Dodge Service DOES NOT HAVE A CLUE! They suggest maybe a bad switch (altho both switches fail at same time and are separate systems?) They want $99 to run a diagnostic test and insist that there are no recalls listed although there are many complaints on web about this specific problem on multiple models of the Grand Caravan.

Anyone have a suggestion of where I should go to fix this irritating problem?

- Lee R., Millbrook, AL, US

Nov 032015

Grand Caravan

After years of fighting the driver side electric window working intermittently (replaced the switch and it quit totally, haha), now the door locks have quit working. I see there's no point in paying money to fix this - I'm just stuck with a worthless vehicle that will PO me every day of the week. The 2005 is a lemon - never again, Dodge. Recall this road apple.

- mudfish, Moncks Corner, SC, USA

Jul 152014

Grand Caravan SXT 3.9sxt

One rear passenger door just would not open one day. We had no problems before that. It LOCKED, can not be opend manually or electronically, so we have 3 door van!!! That is bad for a family of 4!!!

Called the Dealer and they wanted us to "bring it and leave it"--they would not even ballpark the amount it would cost. Guess we will live with it until we get rid of it!!!!!!!

- Fawn D., Amarillo, TX, USA

Feb 102015

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L V6

Can't believe I'm adding another complaint !!! Thank goodness for Youtube posting to "temporarily ' resolve the issue .

- larry_seattle, Seattle, WA, US

Jul 032013

Grand Caravan SXT 3.2L V6

Some time this happens 10 times per day and you never know when, so you have to constantly verifying that the door locks are closed, otherwise you will leave your truck opened.

Can you imagine this, everywhere lifting the hood to take off the IOD fuse then put on again? and at the next stop the same and the same?

And some seasons doesn't fail in a week or a month. It's really annoying and you can't trust it. I went to many places and everybody say there is no solution for this

- Jesus A., laredo, USA

Oct 022014

Grand Caravan LX 3.3L V6

I've noticed some odd electrical issues, like when I turn off the engine and then turn off the lights, once in a while everything flickers and the headlights don't stay on like they're supposed to. Then my driver side window wouldn't go back up intermittently, but today, the power locks stopped working completely. The key fob works to make the horn beep as if they are locking, and flash the lights as if they are unlocking, but the locks do not engage or disengage. They also do not engage once I'm riding at the appropriate speed at which they would normally lock. The only entry is via my key, and only on my driver's side, and the locks have to be manually engaged and disengaged. With three young kids in the van, it makes me nervous that they may not be mindful of whether or not their door is locked, and creates a safety issue. I have yet to contact a garage about this issue, but it appears that many others are having an issue with this as well.

- shamlin4, Manheim, PA, USA

Aug 212014

Grand Caravan

This is the 3rd (and last) Dodge Grand Caravan that I have owned and never had so many problems with the first two. I agree with the MANY other owners who have experienced the same problems with the electrical systems (power locks and windows) and O2 sensors in this model that Dodge needs to address the problems, at least more economically.

The inconvenience is the least of the concerns. I am a widow on a retirement pension with limited mobility and am afraid to drive at night and in many locations because of the issues with the locks that have to be manually locked & unlocked from inside and power windows that do not function.

I used to recommend Dodge vehicles to anyone who would listen, but no more.

& we wonder why so many Americans are buying foreign-made vehicles, which is what I am now looking for.

- Tricia S., Lewisville, TX, USA

Aug 022014

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L

This same problem has been going on for about 2 years, but I thought it had been fixed. The door locks would not operate except with the remote key fob, but occasionally, not even then... had to use a key and there is ONLY one key lock on the driver door side... OF MAJOR CONCERN, was that the doors did not LOCK automatically at about 15 MPH.... a SAFETY CONCERN...

At first, I read on-line that pulling a small fuse, then reinstalling it would fix it. Well,I did that for many months, but that lasted each time only temporarily... sometimes days, sometimes weeks. I finally broke down and carried it to the dealer in Wendell, NC to have the computer 're-flashed' ... at a costs of $120.00 or so. It lasted for some 3 months, and now, the left lock is not working again... thinking it may be a bad, switch, I replaced it, but it still did not fix the problem... so figure it is in the computer system... Now, the left window will not work on occasion.... just plain aggravating.... are they somehow connected ?

I think Chrysler needs to come clean and fix this problem as I understand and have read many, many complaints of this same electrical problem....

- winner, Castalia, NC, USA

Aug 102014

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L

Along with having an electrical problem with this van, that being the left door lock has quit working, now the door lock button does not come up when unlocked by the key fob ...

- winner, Castalia, NC, USA

Mar 012013

Grand Caravan LS 3.3L V6

This problem had occurred repeatedly. Had fixed it w/ unplugging battery before. The fix did not work and had to bring car back several times. Electrical short was cited as additional problem. Was fixed and worked for 4 months and then quit again. Fixed again last fall 2013, and now May 2014 it is not working. Giving up. Manually locking every door every time.

- eggb, Bonita Springs, FL, US

Feb 122014

Grand Caravan 3.3L

Bought as a used vehicle. might be a lemon. electric door locks don't work

- gillchaser, Kankakee, IL, USA

Dec 112012

Grand Caravan 3.3L V6

This has happened multiple times. Each time, pulling the iod fuse has solved the problem temporarily. It always comes back eventually.

- Mark O., North Pole, AK, USA

Nov 182013

Grand Caravan SXT 3.6L V6

It is ridiculous that you have to lock all the doors manually when you pay for automatic door lock system from just a push of the button. My husband changed the fuse and it worked for awhile and had to redo the same process all over again.

- Stacy B., Winston Salem, NC, US

Sep 012013

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L V6

To sum everything up, my locks will not lock or unlock using the key fob or inside buttons none of them will work. I was told to reset it by removing battery cable, so I did it worked for about 8 hrs. Also I was told to pull the iod fuse and put it back, this did the same only worked for a few hours. This is just a pain especially with a new baby. I was also told the dealer could replace the computer but it might not fix the problem and I would have to pay for it which is BULL!! I think this should be investigated and there should be a recall, my father in law is having the same problem with his 05 town and country, he will be filing a complaint also!!

- Matthew L., Avoca, MI, USA

Sep 032013

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L V6

Same door lock problem I was told to tell every time I have a problem so I have to do this about 10 more times!!

- Matthew L., Avoca, MI, USA

Sep 262013

Grand Caravan SXT 3.2L V6

After taking my kids to school, I get home and try to lock my car doors as I jump out. They didn't work. I tried the clicker, it didn't work either. My dad happened to be visiting and started looking into it for me. I googled it and found this site. We pulled the iod fuse a couple times, disconnected the batteries, cleaned the contacts and used fine sand paper on the fuse ends too, and tried turning the key on and off 3 times. I'm not sure which one of these fixed the problem for today, but all of a sudden they started working. I put a note in my glove box to keep track of this issue. I'm thinking this car is becoming a pain for sure!

- luv2takepix, Hannibal, MO, USA

Aug 012013

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L

The door locks stopped working a couple of months ago. Nothing opens/closes them- door switch, key fob, driving over 20mph. Found the IOD fuse fix online, pulled it, locks worked for a month before they stopped again. Fixed again with IOD pull. Each time the locks have worked for shorter and shorter time periods and now they stop working as soon as the engine goes off. Already reported this issue to NHTSA.

- Lily F., Portland, OR, USA

Aug 022013

Grand Caravan

I had same problem power lock not working for 2 yrs now, just 2 months ago my husband connect extra cable from battery negative to body part of the van for better ground, and that fixed the problem since, i did post following message to other site for people to know how to fix it.

(To all of you who have problem on power lock not working issue on caravan, POWER LOCK CAN BE FIXED with simple, just connect extra cable from negative (-) battery to any body part ground of your van.)

- Imelda G., Brampton, ON, canada