2010 Dodge Journey electrical problems: engine won't turn over, will not start

Engine Won't Turn Over, Will Not Start

2010 Dodge Journey (Page 1 of 3)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Dodge dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: I hope I can stop you from buying this vehicle before you find out that it won't be able to stop you.

7.4

$550

2. i just want the car to start when i turn the key (6 reports)
  3. tipm (totally integrated power module) replaced (5 reports)
  4. had a better quality battery installed plus felt insulators (2 reports)
  5. faulty wire connection under the manifold (1 reports)
  6. replace starter (1 reports)
2010 Dodge Journey electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Journey:

2010 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 162017

Journey LTD 3.5L

This car is a pain in the ass!! My mother, who has since passed away, bought my family this car so we would have a car to use and since we have had this car its been a pain in the ass. Almost from the start we had a problem with starting it and over a couple yrs I have brought it in to the dealers, Jim Thompsons,and they still did not fix it but would continue to fix things they thought would be the problem but wasn't. I tried to get a hold of head office but only got a complaint area and they said they could do nothing for me and that if Dodge did know of an issue they would only help people who have a better warranty then what I had, Newer cars only! I am so pissed right now not knowing if my car will start or not and not knowing if I'm gonna get stranded somewhere cause the car won't start. I almost wish the colder weather was here cause it starts better in the cold then the heat. I want to join in the lawsuit against Dodge because I'm done with this car and I'm done trying to keep it going. Maureen Chamberland

- chamberlandmaureen, Kingston, ON, Canada

Jan 012017

Journey RT 3.5L

NEVER will purchase another Dodge. Repeated problems with the vehicle not starting... it has been happening randomly for months and now has become a daily issue. I've had the battery and starter replaced. Will start with a jump. Why isn't Dodge taking responsibility and doing a recall since other 2010 owners are dealing with the same issue.

- Bill A., Brooklyn Park, US

Jan 022017

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

EVERY TIME I GO TO START MY CAR IT WILL NOT START RIGHT AWAY. I WILL NEVER BUY A DODGE AGAIN WITH ALL THE PROBLEMS WITH MY JOURNEY. I HAVE NOT EVEN HAD IT A 1 YEAR

- ht351981, Fort Wayne, US

Sep 052016

Journey R/T V6

When i was out of town i got into my car and it wouldn't start. 30 mins waiting for someone to come help me then the car started up. Yet again i drove it all day went to get gas. Filled it up and the car wouldn't start. Got it jumped have changed the battery still didn't fix the problem. My car will not start some days. I can't drive it out of town now for the thought of it not starting. I shouldn't have to worry that my car is unsafe to drive when i have small children. I don't want to get stranded somewhere with my children in the car. We usually go places throughout the year to do something small but can not because how unsafe it would be if the car don't start,

- Heidi S., Richmond, IN, USA

Aug 242016

Journey XLT 3.5L

I'm convinced, after research, all of my electrical problems point back to the TIPM. While trying to start the car I need to turn the ignition switch on and off repeatedly before the car will start. Each time the switch is turned there is a click. However, when the starter finally engages it cranks over strongly. Happens many times.

- shealeyfam, Honea Path, SC, USA

Sep 132016

Journey

I bought this car used in 2013, since then I have replaced the alternator three times. The last time approximately 2 months ago so I thought my issues were done. I drove to work yesterday no problem, but at the end of the day it would not start/turn over when I tried to leave at the end of the day, I had power to everything when the car was not started (windows, lights, radio not the ac however) I checked all my battery connections, the grounds, and all my fuses in the TIPM, jumped the battery just in case and NOTHING, and when I removed the key and opened the door the car kept chiming like the key was still in the ignition, I was also unable to place the car in neutral.

This morning after hitching a ride home and driving another car to work, I got in while the temps were cool in the upper 60's and the car started no problem multiple time. I went out at lunch when the temps were closer to 90+ degrees and again the car would not start.

- usafcbcsgrl, Sanford, NC, USA

Jun 022016

Journey

i am 65 and this is such a pain th in the ass ,have have several mechanics look at my car ,not the battery not the starter ,have called dodge twice now ,no help what so ever ,yet there is a forum for dodge on this complaint ,this doesn't help me when i live alone and need transport to get around and am on a fixed income ,old age pension isn't that great ,barely get by as it is ,yet dodge doesn't care ,if i could afford to sale it for what i still own on this i would ,last dodge car i buy ,the first and last if this is how they take care of you ,

Update from Jul 13, 2016: Car has not started again after turning off for 4days now and have had to get a life home on 2of these days and had to get a friend to take me to appointments.would love it if some of these people with the same problem could get hold of me at my email address so we can all go to news people and make this know to others and hopefully dodge as no choice but to sort this out .you can email me at my email address . Thankyou for also trying to get this sorted

- yvonnetownsend, Toronto, ON, Canada

Feb 122016

Journey

So my car has intermittent issues with starting. Took it to the dealer for the recall. They do the recall and the car still doesn't start. Must pay for the diagnostic - $220 just to tell me what is wrong with the car. They are saying it is a previous electrical issue and not the recall.

I contacted Chrysler to escalate the issue and they sided with the dealer (WOW what a surprise). Due to this crazy issue, I've replaced my car battery twice during the last year as it imitated a dead battery syndrome. All mechanics I have taken the car to tell me it is a recall issue. I have been a loyal Chrysler/Dodge owner. I currently own 1 Chrysler and 1 Dodge, but this is the last time I buy a car from them.

I have tried everything, very disappointed not only with the dealer (the service was horrible, he would not answer my calls and would tell me that no one from Chrysler's Complaint Resolution team had called) but with Chrysler directly. Own up to your mistakes. I now carry a taser with me in the event I get stranded in a bad part of town. They must be waiting for someone to die before they own up to the issue.

If anyone has suggestions to this issue, please let me know.

- ebowl, Miami, FL, USA

Aug 072013

Journey SE 4 cyl

LEMON!!! bought brand new, dealership said replacing the start/fob gizmo would "probably help". I paid for it, didn't help. Stupid car has left me stranded more times than I care to count. Everything works, just won't start. Dealer always says "if you can get it to us....." they'll look at it. I've left it there for days for them to "look at". Same issue for 3 years now. Sitting in my garage again today, husband took me to work again! 3 times in a week, won't start. Sometimes will start in 5 minutes, sometimes hours or not at all until I have it towed. Starts fine when in a shop or dealership.

Dodge/Chrysler knows there is a starting problem, why won't they have a major recall to fix it!?! I've had recall #R03/NHTSA 14V-373 for 5 months now, dealer can't get the part! It's the same Fob stuff I already had replaced and have been reimbursed for. Wow, what a cluster-you-know-what they have going on. I've tried all the "tips" I've seen on the web, nothing works. They could replace this Journey with just about any piece of plastic, and it would be better. I will NEVER deal with Dodge/Chrysler again. I am tired of complaining to them and the dealership.

- Arlene S., Valparaiso, NE, USA

Sep 102012

Journey SXT

My 2010 Dodge Journey is totally unpredictable. I never know if it will start for me. It will start just fine one minute and after one stop, will not re-start. It makes a click sound and I remove and re-insert the fob, turn it every direction, jiggle the gear shift back and forth while it is in park and then it might decide to start. I have taken it to the dealership numerous times and they tell me they can't find anything wrong with it. Last time they replaced the battery which was under warranty but charged me $100 to replace it (yes, the battery is a pain to get to). But, it is not a battery problem. Are there any suggestions as to how this can be corrected?

- Beverly W., Dinuba, CA, USA

Dec 072015

Journey

Since I've purchased this car I've had issues with it starting. Of course I take it back to the dealer where I'm told they can't find anything wrong with it. The second time I'm told it just needed a software update, and the third I decided to take it somewhere else. I know it's not the starter, battery, alternator, or fuel pump. I've been told it has to be electrical or a software issues. Basically either Dodge knows what the issue is and is lying or they really have no idea. Either way I pay a lot to have a reliable car and it's really frustrating to go into the grocery store come out and my car doesn't want to start, or have to leave for work and end up being late because again my car decides it doesn't want to start. Because I'm just now learning about car complaints I will begin entering complaints each time it occurs.

- Patrisha M., Portland, OR, USA

Dec 052015

Journey

I bought a 2010 Dodge Journey last March, we started having issues with it last Saturday, where is not starting but everything else works. Replaced battery but that didn't fix the problem. Took it to one dealership who couldn't find a problem, it's going to another dealership on Wednesday. If I get any answers all let you know. Just very annoyed because I'm paying for a car I can't drive..

- Jennifer G., Cranston, RI, USA

Jul 082015

Journey LX V6

The biggest issue is the time it takes to first of all, figure out the problem and then FIND THE GOD DAMN PART!!!!!!!!! Which is not covered under the extra useless extended warranty! The car has been in the shop for two weeks at this point and they just found out it was the TIPM that was causing the car not to start and burned through 3 STARTERS!!! There is however a silver lining to this cloud. There is a class action lawsuit against Chrysler Dodge that you can join if your vehicle is one of the models listed on the suit.

- John H., Birmingham, AL, USA

Jun 122015

Journey Limited 3.2L Vy

I bought the car in 2009 with a few miles on it. I loved the car until recently. It doesn't always want to start. I have had it in to the dealer 3 times and it has cost over $800 and they still haven't gotten it fixed. It will run fine once I get it started. It clicks when trying to start it. Sometimes it will start after a few clicks but one night it took a long time of playing with it before it started. I am afraid to take it any distance for afraid I will be stuck. They told me to wait until I had to have it towed and then maybe they could find the problem. That makes me feel real good. I see that other people have the same problem.

- hugheswi, Milton, WI, USA

Aug 202014

Journey SXT 3.5L

The car had been doing fairly good up until the starting problem. Had to be jumped off every time it wouldn't start. Replaced the battery back in Aug 2014 it didn't fix the problem. Replaced the battery again Feb 2015 with a better battery, in the cold with my fingers frizzing off. Getting really aggravated because it was in the middle of winter. That did not solve the problem, left my wife, kids and I stranded, had to be jumped again in April 2015. All auto makers need to be held accountable! My hope is for the government to pass a law to force auto makers to comply with all the laws. And make new laws for the protection of the consumer.

- Jeffrey W., Ewing, USA

Jun 222015

Journey 3.2L

My Dodge Journey was fine from 2010 when I purchased it until two weeks ago. When my car would not start, I called a tow truck to take it to a mechanic but within the 2 hour wait time and after several repeated tries, my car started up. I drove it to a mechanic who changed my starter for $350.

One day later, it would not start again. I returned it to the mechanic, who called a Dodge service center and found out that there was a current recall on the ignition switch for 2009 & 2010 Doge Journeys. I was sent to the dealership with this information and the ignition was changed free of charge due to the recall. Two days later, my car refused to start again after about10 repeated attempts. Finally after waiting for 3 hours, the car started up.

During the course of these frustrating occurrences, I have had to walk home, couldn't leave on a lunch break for food and spent way too much time & money on a problem that seems not to have a solution. Thankfully, my child was not with me on any of these incidences. After reading similar complaints on this site, I will not waste any more time or money trying to get this problem rectified. I have begun looking for another vehicle.

- corprew, Fort Lauderdale, FL, US

Jun 132015

Journey

2010 Dodge Journey with only 48521 miles. The Journey would not start after making several consecutive stops. I would turn the FOB in the ignition and hear a few clicks, then nothing. I checked the battery voltage and it was fully charged. Checked the battery connections, all clean and secure. After dealing with this no start issue for about a month, I took it to a dealer. Today I was informed that the Journey has a faulty wire connection under the manifold. I was quoted $550 for the repair. 48521 miles and there is a wiring issue? Why do I have to pay for a faulty wire? Isn't that a Dodge problem?

- Melissa L., Paw Paw, MI, USA

May 062015

Journey 4 cyl

Two weeks after a minor electrical problem, had issue that is electrical but always different. First car didn't want to start, unless shifted out of park and back again. Next, it did not turn off when key removed from car. Had to return key to ignition and turn back and forth a few times. Next, lights did not go off every time car turned off.

Again annoying.. thought bad battery so purchased new one to replace. Then comes next problem...

- Rhonda D., Winnip, MB, Canada

May 152015

Journey 2.4L

I've grown to hate this vehicle. It started with the horn blowing randomly through the night or while I was driving. In fall of 2014, it began not turning over intermittently. Then started fine all through the winter. Now it starts in the morning and when leaving work in the afternoon. If I need to stop anywhere along the way in between, I'd better have a ride available because it won't turn over. It seems like it needs to cool down before it can go again. Used to be able to do the shift back and forth trick but have worn that trick out. Now you have to sit there with it or call for a ride. What a POS!

I took it to my normal shop who recreated the problem but said I need to take it to the Dodge dealer because he thinks it might be the key. Not sure about this as the Journey does the same issue with both keys.

I guess on to the dealer. Hopefully I can make it the last time I ever have to go to a Dodge dealer.

- bad journey, Fenton, MO, USA

Oct 162014

Journey 2.4L 4 cyl

Bought car at a dealer with a nice warranty that covers everything but electrical problems. After a couple months it would not start a few times each week until it set from 2 to six hours. Now we have it towed home and it has to sit overnight to start.

- Mike D., Ortonville, MI, USA