ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: I hope I can stop you from buying this vehicle before you find out that it won't be able to stop you.

8.8

$300

2. computer update, replaced horn assembly module (1 reports)
  3. problem solved...so far (1 reports)
2010 Dodge Journey electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Journey:

2010 Dodge Journey Owner Comments

Sep 012014

Journey SXT 2.4L

Horn goes off anytime, driving or sitting still, as in a driveway or driving in the middle of traffic. REALLY ANNOYING!!!!

- terry46072rf, Lincoln, US

Sep 012017

Journey SXT 3.6L

3:00 AM and me and my wife jump out of the bed to nonstop horn outside of the house. It's our own car, a 2010 Dodge Journey SXT. It's been beeping the horn randomly for more then a year now, but never this bad. I go outside and the horn is going off in 2-5 seconds intervals and the windows are all going crazy like the car is possessed or something. I call Dodge the next day and they act like I'm the only person dealing with this problem. I come on Google and find out that it's a common problem for Dodge from the 2007-2014 models with TIPM. So this issue needs to be recalled and fixed.

- Al L., Dearborn Heights, MI, US

May 232018

Journey

Horn blows automatically, windows go down automatically, battery drained because of constant relay on/off.

- Mark P., Oxford, US

May 252018

Journey R/T V6

I had the car in the mechanics for another problem. They had informed me the car was ready to be picked up and I was about to leave when I received another phone call that the horn was going off. I could hear it through the phone. They tried to fix it but in the end just disconnected it.

They looked it and found it was a common problem with 2010 model but the dealership claimed they had never hear of it. It seems the problem from the mechanics research is in the steering wheel with the circuit board but fixing it won't be cheap. The mechanic also said the problem is the design of the circuit board is why it is happening. To replace it, it isn't cheap so the mechanic offered to bypass it and put a button nearby to sound the horn if required.

I think it sucks that dealerships deny the problems exists when it is a common problem and must be hearing about them. Instead they be trying to repair them so people will like their cars for the service.

- old.fella, Townsville, QLD, Australia

Nov 142017

Journey FWD SXT

It started at night, then every once in a while, then when I was while driving, had to remove the fuse.

- Sherdina L., Forest Park, GA, USA

May 282016

Journey

bought 2010 Dodge Journey in Dec 2015, and exactly May 28, 2016 I start having issued with stupid horn! it goes off randomly whether its parked, driving, or not even turned on! Went online to see what the problem was, and found zero solutions so I had to disconnect the horn and drive around like that. NOT SAFE BY THE WAY!! finally a guy at autozone recommended checking the battery, we did, and even got a new one. Seemed to work until today, June 4, now my horn keeps going off,. UGH

- Amanda S., Garland, TX, USA

Aug 012015

Journey R/T

Horn started honking whenever it wanted....driving, parked, day, night.....took to local Dodge dealer. They were unable to fix it and suggested I unpug the fuses. Have had no horn for quite some time,

Update from Jan 8, 2018: Mechanic at local Dodge dealer installed a new horn assembly. I now have a horn & the battery is not draining. Cost was under $300. Woo hoo!!

- Peggy C., Gainesville, US

Aug 022017

Journey R/T

The horn was going off randomly while both driving and turned off and parked in the driveway overnight. The car has also turned off while driving and forced me to pull over on a busy highway and restart. This problem makes the check engine light stay on which means I cannot use my command start. You would think something like this would warrant a recall as it could have huge ramifications if it were to happen in dense traffic.

- Matt T., t, ON, Canada

Aug 272017

Journey SXT 3.5L V6

After reading online, this appears to be a problem with many of Chryslers' vehicle 2007-2014, WHY HASN'T THERE BEEN A RECALL? Right now, this is just annoying, but it could lead to other issues from what I understand!

- ballgood729, Alberta, US

May 012017

Journey R/T V6

While driving down the highway, the Horn started blowing randomly! It even blows as an Alarm when the car is not on! The car is kept in a detached garage, and the battery will die from the horn continuously blowing all night! Unfortunately, we did not hear it because the garage is a distance away from the house.

We went to our trusted Car Repair Shop (Tires Plus) and they would not touch it, saying it had to be taken to the Dealer. I had them take the Horn Fuse out to stop the problem, but, now I do not have a horn, and not sure if the Air Bag is affected.

I have read many other complaints from people with the same problem on the Dodge Journey! The Dealer said it will cost $105 for Diagnostic Testing and another $500 for repairs if it is the Horn Assembly Module. It will be more if the car also needs a Computer Update! This is not right!! There is a definite problem, and it should be addressed by the Manufacturer!

- mydodgejourney, Gulf Breeze, US

Apr 032017

Journey

The horn on my vehicle just started to go off out of nowhere. I read about a lot of complaints on this vehicle, yet no recall. I called my local Chrysler dealership and set up a future appointment to get it diagnosed, which will cost me $105 to get it just diagnosed. They did give me the phone number to file a complaint with Chrysler so that it could potential be issued for a recall. EVERYONE THAT HAS THIS ISSUE NEEDS TO CALL 1 800 992 1997 and file a complaint. I spoke to a women named Elizabeth who was wonderful and said that there hasn't been any complaints filed. I find that hard to believe but it makes sense because I had a difficult time trying to find a number to contact them to file my complaint. Please everyone call the number above and have your vin number and mileage on your vehicle when making the complaint. The more we get, hopefully they will recall it. Also if you removed the fuses in your car so your horn won't go off, it might be illegal in some states to not have a working horn, just something to keep in mind. Thank you.

- Artist S., Saint Clair, US

Aug 282016

Journey R/T 3.5L

Totally embarrassing!!! Sitting at a college baseball game and horn starts going off! Key fob was beside me on the bleacher... no one touched the fob or the car that was locked and it decides to randomly start blowing the horn. I ignored it... figuring it was another car in the lot since my fob was not touch and no one was in the parking lot. Figured someone accidently hit their panic button. Then one of the dad's went to the parking lot and pointed at my Journey! OMG - I wish there was a hole I could have crawled into!!! Then my husband called me this morning from work and said my car alarm was going off all night... in the garage!! I did not hear it - was tired apparently!! So I looked on here to see if anyone else complained of this issue!!! YEP!!

Update from Dec 29, 2016: Still happening!!! I pulled the two horn fuses so that the horn would not sound! Called the Dodge Dealer in town and a larger service dealer out of town. Neither of them have heard of this issue. I went to leave for Christmas supper at my in-laws and dead battery. (I replaced the fob batteries and the vehicle battery and put four new tires on it before winter ... over $1000 I stuck into the car and now I may have to trade it for a more reliable mode of transportation!) We can hear the car clicking when parked or running like it is trying to sound the alarm, if it is not running and it is clicking it drains the battery and then we have to charge the battery before it will start! Grrrr... this is a problem Dodge is well aware of ... why are they not doing anything about it!!

Update from Jan 25, 2017: Problem FIXED - Called dodge/Chrysler care 800 number and after standing my ground they finally agreed to picking up my car and paying for a rental while my car was worked on! The dealership and Chrysler care got on the phone together and decided to update the computer and to put in a new horn module assembly and it so far has worked!!! Cost me $335 more but worth it to keep my car and cheaper than a car payment!! So happy they got it figured out - at least as far as I know!!! CALL THE CHRYSLER CARE 800-643-6343 and report the problem and stand your ground!!!!!

- Sandy W., Carroll, IA, USA

Jan 052017

Journey SXT AWD 6

I have a 2010 Dodge Journey SXT AWD with 154,000 all highway miles on it. Last week the horn started randomly going off while my cat was in my drive way not running and the alarm was not set. I would just beep and then would make long beeps. I started the car and the horn stopped. The next day I was driving and at a stop light the horn just started beeping and i could get it to stop not even by turning the car off and restarting it. The person in front of me finally got out of his car and confronted me with a not so happy attitude. i explained to him what was going on, but he didn't seem to care. I finally pulled over and removed the horn fuses that's the only thing that would make it stop.

The next day I go out to start my car and the battery was completely dead, no clicking nothing. I read online that some else had the same issues and they replaced the battery in the car and the batteries in the key fob. So I replace the battery and the batteries in my key fob and reinstalled the fuses for the horn. Everything seemed to be OK until 11:00 pm when the horn starts going off again waking me up and probably my neighbors also. I pulled the fuses for the horn and now every morning when I go out to start my car I have a dead battery, so I have to jump my car every morning and drive with no horn. Driving with no horn is a safety issues as I can't notify other drives of any issues that may occur while I'm driving.

I have read numerous reviews online of other people having the same issue. I suggest Dodge recalls this issue and fix the problem before someone is killed and files a LAWSUIT against DODGE because they know of this issue.

- rieger, Florence, KY, USA

Sep 052016

Journey 2.4L

This happened a couple years ago and the dealership could not find the problem. The fob was replaced, as this was supposedly defective, but that hasn't helped. Now it is happening again, all night, the horn won't shut off.

- Patricia B., Rockford, IL, US

Mar 312016

Journey XLT 3.5L

Horn first began to sound randomly at 3:AM. Woke up the neighbors. Drove up and down the Hwy. to get away from houses. Finally decided to pull BOTH horn fuses in order to stop the blowing. Have had to KEEP the fuses out because of the problem. If I were to note every time this happened I would be here typing all day.

- shealeyfam, Honea Path, SC, USA

Oct 032016

Journey ES 2.4L

Going on 2-3 months now, the horn just keeps blowing for no reason. It is very annoying and when you out and about, people flick you off because they think you are rushing them or even trying to get them to get out of the way, which is not the case. There really needs to be a recall on this because I don't feel like I should have to pay for something the manufacturer messed the hell up. I have read comments of other people complaining. This is crazy, something needs to be done about this.

- lforeman47, Elizabeth City, NC, US

Jul 042016

Journey SXT 3.5L

The horn blows on my 2010 Dodge Journey all by itself. I removed the fuses to stop the sound. Called local Dodge dealer and was told by the service department that they had no clue what was wrong. I asked if I had in fact called the Dodge Dealership because according to the internet complaints I was not the only person with this problem. Anyway, now my battery is going dead over night. I connected a jump box to the car and could hear a clicking coming from the fuse box. A relay is working, I think it is the one for the horns. I am ready to turn this car into a dumpster with all the other problems that I have had and now I understand that this problem may cost me around $1500. to fix. Anyone got any solutions?

- timpridgen, Rocky Mount, NC, USA

Jul 032016

Journey SXT 3.5L

this seems that this is a regular problem that dodge wont take care of!!!!!!! started with the horn randomally going off, I unplugged the horn. that seemed to be ok ,,,,,,, for a few days. then the tail lights would start flashing, that seemed to stop on its own????????? now the latest and greatest,,, I get up at 4:30 am for work, go out to start my vehicle and would you know the thing wont start,,, dead battery. I live in an area where there is no one around for me to get a boost start. so I miss a day of work and now have to figure a way to get the vehicle fixed. you would think that with as many complaints and issues of the same problem that the dodge people would address this issue and fix it,,,,,,?????? or is that how they keep their profits high????

- Edwin M., Frankfort, KY, USA

Jun 012016

Journey

The stupid horn goes off whenever the hell it wants to. It can be in the middle of the night, when I am driving or when it is parked. My neighbors are really getting pissed at it going off at 2 am and waking their children. It is currently going off and I am inside of my office trying to work but can here it outside. Now I have to stop working and go outside and hit the button. This is a huge pain in the ass and I wish Dodge would get off their ass and get this problem fixed. When I take it to get looked at it does not do anything so they think I am crazy. The vehicle can be locked or unlocked and the stupid horn will go off. People look at me like I have lost my mind when I am stuck in traffic and the horn is going off. All I can do when I am driving is just throw my hands in the air to show people I am not honking at them.

- Erica T., Annapolis, MD, USA

Apr 222016

Journey SXT 3.0L V6

2010 dodge journey sxt horn blows randomly, windshield wiper move when you unlock doors. Car doesn't start sometimes but battery checks out good. Need this fixed

- Tammy T., pearl river, LA, USA