8.5

$1,197.00

1. replace TIPM (36 reports)
  3. replace faultly TIPM module (20 reports)
  4. replace tipm or fuse box (9 reports)
  5. by-pass wiring harness (8 reports)
  6. tipm was fixed at dealership for $1425 (2 reports)
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Ram 1500:

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Dec 092017

Ram 1500 ST 5.7L V8

I bought my 2011 Ram 1500 with a 5.7L Hemi Brand new in 2011. About a year after I bought it, I would randomly be unable to start the truck. I would turn the ignition key, and the truck would crank, but wouldn't start. Even when I let go of the key, it would continue to crank, but wouldn't start. Turning off the key and restarting always fixed the problem. This has been a random occurrence for several years. In the last week or so, it happens almost every day. Today, I had to turn the key off and on about a dozen times before it would start.

I'm now learning that the TIPM could cause many more problems. It sounds like thousands of others are having the same type of problem. Chrysler really needs to recall this for my vechicle and get this fixed.

- , Provo, US

Nov 112017

Ram 1500 ST 4.7L

Truck did not want to start and at times ran ruff until it would not start at all. I googled issue and found it is a problem with dodge trucks. I’m surprised there is no recall. I was happy with Dodge until this. Now I have to debate to pay mortgage or fix truck which is a big problem. I think dodge should address a known issue. My next vehicle won’t be a Dodge.

- , Antioch, US

Nov 102017

Ram 1500 Sport 5.7L Hemi

Replaced ETC because we were told that was the issue, then replaced the fuel pump because that was the code. Called the dealer truck was purchased from and their response was "OH WELL WHAT DO YOU WANT US TO DO" Now at a new dealer and they tell me its the TIPM, two options replace with new at a charge of $1200.00 or do the by-pass at a price of $700.00. Well I'm not made of money so i had to go for the by-pass fix. I just wish Chrysler would have just dealt with the issue properly and not try to deny its their fault. I mean you knew you were installing defective parts.

- , Lauderhill, US

Oct 162017

Ram 1500 LTS 4.7L V8

I was having issues starting my truck from cold, the vehicle would crank but not readily fire up. took it into the dealership for a diagnostic and come to hear the TIPM was only relaying power intermittently to the fuel pump. When I looked up the specific issue I read many reports of this exact problem and doesn't make me feel any better about this very costly repair.

- , Woodridge, US

Oct 102017

Ram 1500 ST 4.7L

2011 Ram 1500 purchased new. Nothing but electrical issues. Replaced WIN at 87000 miles now TIPM has shorted the fuel pump relay circuit and in turn the tire pressure monitor is flashing and the truck intermittently starts, shuts off while driving, accelerator light comes on and truck goes in to limp in mode until you stop, turn it off and if it restarts it will run until the fuel pump shuts off. No fun driving 70 and losing all power. Now have to come up with 1750.00 so the stealership can replace yet another part that should have been recalled. Next vehicle will not be a Diamler product and have my 2003 and 2004 for sale now. Sorry in advance to the buyers for the headaches.

- , Burnet, US

Sep 212017

Ram 1500 Sport 5.0L

TIPM WENT OUT. HAD IT REPAIRED AT AR SPEEDOMETER & GAUGE IN TULSA OK FOR 284.00 THEY REPLACED FUEL RELAY CHEAPER THAN GOING TO THE DEALER YOU CAN FIND THEM ON THE WEB, ALSO FACEBOOK, AND THEY TAKE PAYPAL OR OTHER CREDIT CARDS.

- , Baltimore, MD, Albania

Jun 022017

Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7L

Rear Passenger Brake Light comes on after a good rain. When it dries out condition returns to normal. Also fog lights do not work. Dash indicator shows that lights are on, however, neither front lights come on. 3 rd Brake light (high Center with Cargo Light does not work. Checked all fuses and found ok. Checked at the connector behind the actual light and found no power either to the brake light line (with the brake depressed or in the cargo light circuit)

- , Commack, US

Sep 042017

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L V8

Just hoping chrysler will recall it and fix it. that's all I want. it is obviously an issue so need to take care of it.

- , Townsend, US

Sep 022017

Ram 1500 ST 5.7L V8

Very low miles for its age RAM 1500, only 53K miles. Suddenly the vehicle won't start, take it dodge dealership, and they tell me I have to replace the TIPM which is 979 for the part plus labor for $1450. Its a 4x4 that has never gone off road, used for short distance commuting, very disappointing. NEVER AGAIN DODGE.

- , Jacksonville, FL, US

Aug 262017

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L V8

Today driving down interstate, suddenly the 4 wheel drive light beeped and the truck just lost all power, luckily got to the side. 75 miles from home, had to be towed home.

- , Phil Campbell, US

Aug 182017

Ram 1500 Bighorn 5.7L

Chrysler knows there is a problem with their TIPM. Don't know if I would buy another RAM

- , California, US

Jun 012017

Ram 1500 Larime 5.7L Hemi

Seems like this is happening to thousands of cars but no accountability is taking place for putting a known faulty part on cars and trucks for years. Not sure I can stay brand loyal based on this experience.

- , Atlanta, GA, US

Nov 292016

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

In Oct 2016 I purchased this vehicle used from a dealership. There was a TIPM issue with this vehicle right on the lot during test drive etc. I drove it home and immediately started having issues with the TIPM module making the vehicle not start, yet fuel pump ran continuously when key turned off draining all battery life. Only way to start would be to constantly boost the vehicle.

I contacted the dealership where I bought it and requested this issue be fixed and they refused. I went online, looked up issues with this vehicle and found this was a huge problem for this make and model and year of truck and that this part had been recalled. I printed out the info and took it to the dealership where I bought the truck. They still refused to honour the recall saying that this applied only to the USA. Now considering that many American vehicles end up in Canada this should have been covered by the recall since it was a huge ongoing issue already.

The only way I finally got this problem resolved after about 4 months was to threaten the dealership with letters to the President of the company as well as I would park my vehicle out on the street in front of their business with signs posted in my windows saying LEMON and TIPM issue seller refuses to resolve. At 80 yrs old I had get upset, harass the dealership and threaten to take action to finally get the issue resolved at no cost to myself.

I feel that since this problem was well documented and already part of an ongoing recall, the dealership should have fixed this issue before I even let the lot with the truck and should have not tried to give me the shaft by trying to avoid responsibility by using the recall only in USA excuse.

- , Bancroft, ON, Canada

Aug 022016

Ram 1500 XLT 5.7L

This tipm (Total Integrated Power Module) should have been on a recall. The Durango and Jeeps had a recall on this issue. Seems there is plenty of reports on this issue. At least it should be partially covered under any warranty. Steep cost for repair, I'm sure I'll never buy another Dodge. The Dealership handling the problem was very helpful. This is a complaint in workmanship, quality, and reliability of the Dodge Ram Pick-up.

- , Pensacola, FL, USA

Mar 212017

Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 5.7L

The TIPM went bad in my truck at 85,000 miles. Truck will not start at times, it will lock me out of my own vehicle (thank god my kids were never locked in). The fuel pump runs constantly even when the truck is turned off because the TIPM does not allow it to turn off. It affects all of my electrical stuff, including radio, power locks and power windows. My windows will roll down out of nowhere when the vehicle is turned off, and the windows will not roll back up. The backup camera will come on while I am driving forward, my radio will freeze up to where I can no do ANYTHING to it. My key gets stuck in the ignition and will not come out! The whole entire truck just locks up. When you're driving, and it decides to shut off out of nowhere, I lose ALL POWER!!! NO BRAKES OR STEERING!!! its uncontrollable!! There has been MANY MANY complaints of this problem with the TIPM in the 2011 Ram 1500 including people almost getting into accidents. My friend also had this same problem and totaled his truck because it locked up on him while driving! All of these complaints and well aware of the problem, Ram still decides not to recall it or even fix it!! If I was aware of this and known the danger I put myself in and others in everyday, I would have never purchased this vehicle!!

Update from Apr 11, 2017: correction....it was 83,000 miles! I brought my truck to dodge because of this problem! specifically stating to them that "its the TIPM, please check it" They told me it was fine and it just needed to be flashed! So I agreed and paid $200 for them to flash it. a few days later, it did it again! left me stranded at my house and late to work! It even stalled on me while driving at 60 mph. Thank god I was able to get it off of the road safely! Not to mention I am 7 months pregnant, driving a vehicle that shuts off while driving losing all control! I got it towed once again to the dodge dealership, and they finally said "yes its the TIPM" It cost me $1,5000 to replace!!!

- , Palm Coast, US

Feb 282017

Ram 1500 Limited 5.7L Hemi

Very significant problem, because it would only sporadically start. It would crank, but no start, would pull battery cable, then it would start, eventually within a week, that wouldn't work. It killed my battery as it eventually kept the fuel pump running - good think it didn't burn out my pump! My mechanic bypassed the TIPM by process of elimination, but had my truck for almost week. It would be nice if Dodge would pass along those issues to the dealerships so they wouldn't have to figure it out by process of elimination and therefore billable time. I also see that Dodge had recalls on several vehicles because of faulty TIPM's being put in, so it's not like they are unaware of it.

I love my truck, but issues like that are unacceptable when absolutely no codes show up, and there is no way of finding out the problem - knowing full well it had to be electrical. Dodge needs to step it up!

- , Lac La Biche, AB, Canada

Feb 152017

Ram 1500 Sport 5.7L

I first started to notice issues with my truck when I would lock my truck and start walking into the house and the truck would auto-start by itself. It did it again later on that evening when I looked outside and my truck was running and the keys were still hanging on the key hook in my house. Replaced the batteries in the key fob and the problem began to go away. Two days later I went to start my truck to head to work and it just cranked and cranked but wouldn't turn over. After appox six attempts it finally started up. On 9 Feb 2017 I went out to start my truck and the battery was so dead that I couldn't use my key fob to unlock the truck and had to use the actual key to unlock it. Called USAA roadside assistance and when they came out they tried to use their jump box to jump it with no luck. We had to hook up the jump box and jumper cables to his truck to get it to start. Was told that the battery had a dead cell and to go get a new one. Purchased a new battery at Autozone that day. The next morning I went to get in my truck and the same thing happened again.....Cranked it for 5-6 times before it would start. Finally on 15 Feb 2017, I left the truck overnight at the Firestone Auto on base ( I am a Marine and they can work on the truck without me missing work). This morning they went out and the truck wouldn't start for them either. They stated that " TIPM is not sending signal to the fuel pump" and that I need to get it into the dealer. Now I just wish I had a stack of hundreds laying around waiting to be spent at the dealership so this can get fixed. I can't believe this hasn't been addressed with a recall.

- , Stafford, VA, USA

Dec 172016

Ram 1500 Sport 5.7L V8

My 2001 Ram 1500 had a dead battery one so I replaced with a new one figuring it was 5 years old. Around 12/17/16 I was parked talking to someone with engine running. Decided to turn truck off , which I did but It still stayed running, I then turned keyfob back to on position than back to off and it shut off. Thought I was losing my mind. On 1/11/17 I started the truck up and it started but noticed the traction control lite was staying on the whole time I ran errands. As soon as I pulled into my driveway and turned truck off the keyfob stuck and would not release, husband play around with it let it sit and finally came out. 1/16/17 my husband drove truck came home and turned keyfob to off position only to be able to pull the key out and have the truck still running, had to pull the 10 amp # 27 fuse and battery cables to get it to shut off. Been at dealership for 4 days only to be told its my after market stereo that I had professionally installed when I paid cash for it brand new in 2011. I told them BS. Went to go pick it up tells me they need additional 4 hours to diagnose it for $600.00. I asked what they have ruled out like, fuel pump sensor, solenoid , TIPM,battery, plugs, coil, wiring harness, service manager didn't know what the tech did since tech wasn't there I asked for the paperwork and they would not give it to me. I told him to stop fixating on my stereo, I will be picking it up since they charge $150 per hour so now Im out 150.00. Manager mouth drooped when I showed him complaints I printed out this definetly needs to be a RECALL

- , Vallejo, CA, USA

Nov 052016

Ram 1500 Sport 5.7L Hemi

The truck began to struggle on startup which lead me to believe i had a fuel pump issue. Upon further investigation I noticed the problems i was dealing with match those of the owners on this site was able to replace the TIPM rather than a fuel pump that was not faulty. It would b my hope that moving forward that Dodge/Ram trucks re investigate this issue. I would have considered trading my current truck on another Ram until this and what appears to be a neglect of a fairly serious issue by the manufacturer.

- , Belleville, ON, Canada

Dec 242016

Ram 1500 STX 4.7L

Daughter just called me to ask why her wipers will not turn off, blinkers will not work, and now high beams. Not sure what else isn't working yet. She is on the road at night and this happens! WTF Dodge???

- , Mech, MD, USA