8.5

$1,218.00

1. replace TIPM (40 reports)
  3. replace faultly TIPM module (20 reports)
  4. replace tipm or fuse box (9 reports)
  5. by-pass wiring harness (8 reports)
  6. tipm was fixed at dealership for $1425 (2 reports)
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Ram 1500:

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Jan 252018

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

I am driving my vehicle home from work when the wipers started moving on its own, ALL my lights starting flashing constantly, had a message that came up NO BUS where my mileage is normally located, and the following stopped working/responding:

ALL windows (Front Passenger window is still halfway down) Radio Horn Cruise Control Instrument Cluster Panel (Showed 0 [zero] on everything, thankfully I already invested in GPS) Mirrors Windshield wiper Fluid button Hazard Button Tow/Haul Button

The only thing I could do was pull over and remove the Windshield relay switch so my wipers stopped. I took it to a trusted mechanic and he told me I had to take it to the dealership to have fixed. I took it to the dealership and they told me the part was $1,300 by itself plus two-three hours labor, plus tax and other "miscellaneous fees" totaling over $1,600.

I am working two jobs to try and make ends meet, on top of paying for my mothers' funeral home, nursing home, and medical expenses, my dad's medical expenses and constant bi-weekly trips for his medical needs.

Their solution was to give a $1,000 in-house credit card and I still have to come up with over $600. This is my only mode of transportation and now I am having to bum rides because my spare ride (1997 Dodge Ram 1500) decided to shoot water/antifreeze out of the tailpipe this morning. I've always been a MOPAR person and still am one. I wish I could catch a break. Thank you for hearing me out.

- , Meridian, MS, US

Jan 012018

Ram 1500 Bighor 5.7L

needs to be covered under recall

car cranks but won't start

- , Dallas, TX, US

Jan 052018

Ram 1500

I brought my 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 to a mechanic with the problem that my windshield wipers weren't turning on. They told me it was the Totally Integrated Power Module and the repairs would be above $1200. They then told me to complain to headquarters because Jeep and Chrysler have had recalls on this part, but not Dodge. I'm not under any warranty - so I'm pretty much screwed, huh????

- , Scituate, MA, US

Nov 272017

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

Originally told fuel pump needed replaced. When new fuel pump was replaced by dealership they said it surged the TIPM, had to replace both.

- , Fernandina Beach, Florida, US

Dec 092017

Ram 1500 ST 5.7L V8

I bought my 2011 Ram 1500 with a 5.7L Hemi Brand new in 2011. About a year after I bought it, I would randomly be unable to start the truck. I would turn the ignition key, and the truck would crank, but wouldn't start. Even when I let go of the key, it would continue to crank, but wouldn't start. Turning off the key and restarting always fixed the problem. This has been a random occurrence for several years. In the last week or so, it happens almost every day. Today, I had to turn the key off and on about a dozen times before it would start.

I'm now learning that the TIPM could cause many more problems. It sounds like thousands of others are having the same type of problem. Chrysler really needs to recall this for my vechicle and get this fixed.

- , Provo, US

Nov 112017

Ram 1500 ST 4.7L

Truck did not want to start and at times ran ruff until it would not start at all. I googled issue and found it is a problem with dodge trucks. I’m surprised there is no recall. I was happy with Dodge until this. Now I have to debate to pay mortgage or fix truck which is a big problem. I think dodge should address a known issue. My next vehicle won’t be a Dodge.

- , Antioch, US

Nov 102017

Ram 1500 Sport 5.7L Hemi

Replaced ETC because we were told that was the issue, then replaced the fuel pump because that was the code. Called the dealer truck was purchased from and their response was "OH WELL WHAT DO YOU WANT US TO DO" Now at a new dealer and they tell me its the TIPM, two options replace with new at a charge of $1200.00 or do the by-pass at a price of $700.00. Well I'm not made of money so i had to go for the by-pass fix. I just wish Chrysler would have just dealt with the issue properly and not try to deny its their fault. I mean you knew you were installing defective parts.

- , Lauderhill, US

Oct 162017

Ram 1500 LTS 4.7L V8

I was having issues starting my truck from cold, the vehicle would crank but not readily fire up. took it into the dealership for a diagnostic and come to hear the TIPM was only relaying power intermittently to the fuel pump. When I looked up the specific issue I read many reports of this exact problem and doesn't make me feel any better about this very costly repair.

- , Woodridge, US

Oct 102017

Ram 1500 ST 4.7L

2011 Ram 1500 purchased new. Nothing but electrical issues. Replaced WIN at 87000 miles now TIPM has shorted the fuel pump relay circuit and in turn the tire pressure monitor is flashing and the truck intermittently starts, shuts off while driving, accelerator light comes on and truck goes in to limp in mode until you stop, turn it off and if it restarts it will run until the fuel pump shuts off. No fun driving 70 and losing all power. Now have to come up with 1750.00 so the stealership can replace yet another part that should have been recalled. Next vehicle will not be a Diamler product and have my 2003 and 2004 for sale now. Sorry in advance to the buyers for the headaches.

- , Burnet, US

Sep 212017

Ram 1500 Sport 5.0L

TIPM WENT OUT. HAD IT REPAIRED AT AR SPEEDOMETER & GAUGE IN TULSA OK FOR 284.00 THEY REPLACED FUEL RELAY CHEAPER THAN GOING TO THE DEALER YOU CAN FIND THEM ON THE WEB, ALSO FACEBOOK, AND THEY TAKE PAYPAL OR OTHER CREDIT CARDS.

- , Baltimore, MD, Albania

Jun 022017

Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7L

Rear Passenger Brake Light comes on after a good rain. When it dries out condition returns to normal. Also fog lights do not work. Dash indicator shows that lights are on, however, neither front lights come on. 3 rd Brake light (high Center with Cargo Light does not work. Checked all fuses and found ok. Checked at the connector behind the actual light and found no power either to the brake light line (with the brake depressed or in the cargo light circuit)

- , Commack, US

Sep 042017

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L V8

Just hoping chrysler will recall it and fix it. that's all I want. it is obviously an issue so need to take care of it.

- , Townsend, US

Sep 022017

Ram 1500 ST 5.7L V8

Very low miles for its age RAM 1500, only 53K miles. Suddenly the vehicle won't start, take it dodge dealership, and they tell me I have to replace the TIPM which is 979 for the part plus labor for $1450. Its a 4x4 that has never gone off road, used for short distance commuting, very disappointing. NEVER AGAIN DODGE.

- , Jacksonville, FL, US

Aug 262017

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L V8

Today driving down interstate, suddenly the 4 wheel drive light beeped and the truck just lost all power, luckily got to the side. 75 miles from home, had to be towed home.

- , Phil Campbell, US

Aug 182017

Ram 1500 Bighorn 5.7L

Chrysler knows there is a problem with their TIPM. Don't know if I would buy another RAM

- , California, US

Jun 012017

Ram 1500 Larime 5.7L Hemi

Seems like this is happening to thousands of cars but no accountability is taking place for putting a known faulty part on cars and trucks for years. Not sure I can stay brand loyal based on this experience.

- , Atlanta, GA, US

Nov 292016

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

In Oct 2016 I purchased this vehicle used from a dealership. There was a TIPM issue with this vehicle right on the lot during test drive etc. I drove it home and immediately started having issues with the TIPM module making the vehicle not start, yet fuel pump ran continuously when key turned off draining all battery life. Only way to start would be to constantly boost the vehicle.

I contacted the dealership where I bought it and requested this issue be fixed and they refused. I went online, looked up issues with this vehicle and found this was a huge problem for this make and model and year of truck and that this part had been recalled. I printed out the info and took it to the dealership where I bought the truck. They still refused to honour the recall saying that this applied only to the USA. Now considering that many American vehicles end up in Canada this should have been covered by the recall since it was a huge ongoing issue already.

The only way I finally got this problem resolved after about 4 months was to threaten the dealership with letters to the President of the company as well as I would park my vehicle out on the street in front of their business with signs posted in my windows saying LEMON and TIPM issue seller refuses to resolve. At 80 yrs old I had get upset, harass the dealership and threaten to take action to finally get the issue resolved at no cost to myself.

I feel that since this problem was well documented and already part of an ongoing recall, the dealership should have fixed this issue before I even let the lot with the truck and should have not tried to give me the shaft by trying to avoid responsibility by using the recall only in USA excuse.

- , Bancroft, ON, Canada

Aug 022016

Ram 1500 XLT 5.7L

This tipm (Total Integrated Power Module) should have been on a recall. The Durango and Jeeps had a recall on this issue. Seems there is plenty of reports on this issue. At least it should be partially covered under any warranty. Steep cost for repair, I'm sure I'll never buy another Dodge. The Dealership handling the problem was very helpful. This is a complaint in workmanship, quality, and reliability of the Dodge Ram Pick-up.

- , Pensacola, FL, USA

Mar 212017

Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 5.7L

The TIPM went bad in my truck at 85,000 miles. Truck will not start at times, it will lock me out of my own vehicle (thank god my kids were never locked in). The fuel pump runs constantly even when the truck is turned off because the TIPM does not allow it to turn off. It affects all of my electrical stuff, including radio, power locks and power windows. My windows will roll down out of nowhere when the vehicle is turned off, and the windows will not roll back up. The backup camera will come on while I am driving forward, my radio will freeze up to where I can no do ANYTHING to it. My key gets stuck in the ignition and will not come out! The whole entire truck just locks up. When you're driving, and it decides to shut off out of nowhere, I lose ALL POWER!!! NO BRAKES OR STEERING!!! its uncontrollable!! There has been MANY MANY complaints of this problem with the TIPM in the 2011 Ram 1500 including people almost getting into accidents. My friend also had this same problem and totaled his truck because it locked up on him while driving! All of these complaints and well aware of the problem, Ram still decides not to recall it or even fix it!! If I was aware of this and known the danger I put myself in and others in everyday, I would have never purchased this vehicle!!

Update from Apr 11, 2017: correction....it was 83,000 miles! I brought my truck to dodge because of this problem! specifically stating to them that "its the TIPM, please check it" They told me it was fine and it just needed to be flashed! So I agreed and paid $200 for them to flash it. a few days later, it did it again! left me stranded at my house and late to work! It even stalled on me while driving at 60 mph. Thank god I was able to get it off of the road safely! Not to mention I am 7 months pregnant, driving a vehicle that shuts off while driving losing all control! I got it towed once again to the dodge dealership, and they finally said "yes its the TIPM" It cost me $1,5000 to replace!!!

- , Palm Coast, US

Feb 282017

Ram 1500 Limited 5.7L Hemi

Very significant problem, because it would only sporadically start. It would crank, but no start, would pull battery cable, then it would start, eventually within a week, that wouldn't work. It killed my battery as it eventually kept the fuel pump running - good think it didn't burn out my pump! My mechanic bypassed the TIPM by process of elimination, but had my truck for almost week. It would be nice if Dodge would pass along those issues to the dealerships so they wouldn't have to figure it out by process of elimination and therefore billable time. I also see that Dodge had recalls on several vehicles because of faulty TIPM's being put in, so it's not like they are unaware of it.

I love my truck, but issues like that are unacceptable when absolutely no codes show up, and there is no way of finding out the problem - knowing full well it had to be electrical. Dodge needs to step it up!

- , Lac La Biche, AB, Canada