2011 Ford Edge electrical problems: door ajar light stays on

Door Ajar Light Stays On

2011 Ford Edge (Page 1 of 9)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

7.7

2. replace door ajar sensor (44 reports)
  3. replace door latch assembly (31 reports)
  4. dealer sent electrical pauses through latch (2 reports)
  5. spray latch with WD-40 (2 reports)
  6. clean contact (1 reports)
2011 Ford Edge electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Oct 092017

Edge

This is the 3rd battery I've had to replace this year. I make sure the doors are closed, locked and interior lights off before leaving it, then I return in the morning to the doors not locked, lights on and the battery draining. How many times does this need to happen to people for Ford to make door sensors/latches that work long term and do not cause the battery to drain? There needs to be a solution that is long lasting.

When purchasing a Ford, customers should be made aware that they will be financially responsible to replace faulty parts continuously. This car that was not cheap to start with and has now turned into an expensive money pit. If I had been told this before my purchase, I would have stuck to Jeep.

Oct 092017

Edge

I was driving on the highway today and while I was at 100kmh, the door ajar light came on along with the interior lights and the doors unlocked. Surely, this is a safety issue? It takes several times for the door ajar light to go off when the car is stationary. How am I supposed to manage the back doors staying locked when small children are in the car? It doesn't take much for a little one to reach over to the handle. I cannot open and close the door when on the highway! Yes, I pulled over to slam the door a dozen times but seriously, that wasn't any safer than driving with open doors.

How many times does the latch have to be replaced to get one that actually works? How many more times do I need to replace the battery because the sensor independently opened when parked and the interior lights came on.

The fact that this issue is still occurring almost 7 years after the issue first started happening, shows the professional nature of the design team and quality of the product.

Dec 152016

Edge Sport V6

This is a most irritating problem! Not only does the door ajar light remain on after the driver's door is closed (repeatedly), the interior lights stays on when exiting the vehicle and then this does not allow you to lock the door right away! Eventually, the interior light goes out (10 minutes) and then I have to make sure the vehicle is locked. Such a pain!

- , Lansing, MI, US

Jul 012017

Edge Limited V6

the door light won't turn off. even if the door is close and locked. still stay on.

- , Mansfield, TX, US

Jul 022015

Edge 3.2L

HAD DOOR LATCH REPLACED 2 YEARS AGO. PROBLEM CAME BACK. CAN'T AFFORD $350.00 EVERY TIME THIS PROBLEM OCCURS.

- , Mooresville, US

Mar 012017

Edge SEL 3.2L

Drivers side door ajar warning light is on, even when door is closed. Door locks will not work, dome light stays on. This is a safety hazard when driving at night since reduces night vision as well as allows the doors to be opened by anyone.

Edge 6

The driver door ajar comes on even when the doors are closed. The interior lights stay illuminated so I have to open and close the door several times before they go off. I know its going to drain my battery before long especially if it happens in daylight when I may not notice the problem. Why is there no recall on this problem?

- , New York, US

Jun 282017

Edge Sport 3.7L V6

Door is shut but the door ajar stays on. battery died several times. thinking of selling this SUV and will never buy a Ford product again. I'm finding that this problem has been going on for years with Ford saying fix it yourself. I say fix Ford and the problem will be solved. very aggravating! nice SUV but if you're scared the kids are going to open the door going down the road because the doors won't lock it's definitely not worth it.

- , Newton, US

Sep 112017

Edge Sport 3.7L V6

SECOND TIME same car. Driver's door. Door Ajar light starts out randomly. Door is fully closed, but warning light wont shut off. Interior lights take longer and longer to shut off, until they stop shutting off and drain the battery. Doors will not auto-lock when driving down the road. The last time it was the driver side rear and the fix was to replace a faulty rear door latch for $591.99. I called Ford Customer Service and they don't agree that it is a problem that 2 door latches on the same car would have failed. -- a part that should last for the life of the car. For business and pleasure, we own 15 Ford vehicles. Will be reconsidering brands for my next purchase.

Update from Sep 21, 2017: UPDATE: Bill Estes Ford, Brownsburg Indiana worked with Ford and they agreed to do the repair at Ford's cost. I was very thankful of them and feel they did the "right" thing here.

Update from Sep 28, 2017: UPDATE: Bill Estes Ford, Brownsburg, IN worked with Ford and got them to fix this door latch issue at no charge! I was very thankful for them in convincing Ford to do the Right Thing!

- , Avon, US

Edge LX 3.2L

Every time we close the door, we have to reopen and close numerous time before the door will indicate that it is closed. Getting tired of see "passenger door ajar"

- , Hemingway, US

Mar 032017

Edge Sport 3.7L V6

Door Ajar light randomly comes on when door is actually shut (driver side rear). Problem becomes more and more frequent. Doors will not auto-lock when in motion. Interior lights take longer to shut off and at times when the car is turned off, the door ajar light stays on and the interior lights do not turn off. Despite complaints on this issue and recalls being issued for other Ford products for door latches, Ford said that this is a consumer issue. The door latch assembly was replaced.

- , Avon, US

Aug 282017

Edge

This is the fourth time I am dealing with the same problem. I have paid for a costly repair three times! Twice for the same door (front passenger) and once for the front driver's side door. Now the problem is occurring on the rear passenger side door. I will search for a possible self fix, but expect that I will end up paying again!!

This may not (yet) be a recall due to no fatalities due to the problem, but it CERTAINLY is a design flaw that is extremely annoying. I am not concerned that the door will actually open, but the error does not allow me to lock my door, which does concern me greatly . . . which is why I will pay, AGAIN, to have the door repaired. Ford should take some accountability for this poor design. I have had multiple Ford vehicles over the years and have never had such an annoying, persistent problem.

- , Livonia, US

May 172017

Edge Limited 3.2L V6

Tried spraying cleaning fluid in door several times which would fix problem for a day or so but light would always come back on. Finally had to pay 352.71 to fix with all new latch assembly. Apparently the Ford Edge does not have a separate switch which could be replaced but is part of the entire latch assembly. Bad design!!! Would not expect something like this with only 35,000 miles on the car.

- , New Caslte, US

Oct 012012

Edge Limited 3.7L

First the back up camera failed Ford said could take many hours to figure out the problem. It has never been fixed. The door ajar light stays on always. Dome light stays on can't see at night trying to back up is dangerous. Lights come on by themselves with key out and now kills the battery. Every night I have to jump the car for my wife to go to work. One thing after another.

- , Eagle Lake, US

Edge 3.2L V6

The door ajar light starting coming on intermittently but now it is on all the time. Because of that, the interior lights will not go off when you close the doors. Also, you can't keep the doors locked while driving the car. Another problem is that while parked and sitting in the car waiting for someone you cannot keep the keys in the ignition or a bell will just keep ringing driving you crazy. I'm afraid we will wear the battery down and have to keep replacing it. There is no longer a warranty on the car and I don't have the extra cash to take it to a Ford dealer to get it repaired.

- , Woodhaven, US

Oct 082016

Edge Limited

At first, if you would shut the door firmly a few times it would shut off. After awhile, nothing would work! While it showed the door was closed, not only did the dome light (other lights) stay on, the car doors would not lock! I had to lock the car BEFORE I put key in ignition. I wasn't planning on fixing it, as I am retired and don't drive much at night, but once we needed to drive to hospital at night & spouse very annoyed trying to drive with dome lights on! He said, "FIX IT"! The replaced door sensor fixed the problem for $282 and some change.

- , Beaver Creek, US

Jan 012012

Edge Limited V6

Door ajar light (passenger side) remains on 99.9% of the time. When this light is on, the exterior/interior lights remain on for 10 minutes.

When the door ajar light in not on (very very rare), the lights turn off as soon as you lock the car.

Runs down the battery. Obviously, from reading all the complaints online, this is a defect in the car and Ford needs to recall it.

- , Shreveport, US

Jul 012017

Edge Limited 3.5L V6

ford knows this is an issue and won't issue a recall. dealer only part and they certainly let you know. scum.

- , Maricopa, US

Apr 262016

Edge SEL

This problem started as I was driving away from the Ford Dealership after having an Oil Change and tire rotation. It has been getting worse and now my car is totally dead because the interior lights will not go off.

I have an appt at the dealership tomorrow. I have an extended warranty that has a ZERO deductible and they still want to charge $100 to do diagnostics. I told them this problem is all over the internet and that they need to fix according to symptoms and common knowledge of the problem. I will not authorize a diagnostic test.

Hopefully they will fix this problem properly. They are aware I am not happy with this.

- , Holt, MI, USA

Sep 032016

Edge SEL 3.5L 6 cyl

Driver, passenger, and rear left door ajar warning lights continually stay on causing the interior lights to intermittently go on while driving, parked, with engine on or off. Doors will not lock. Interior lights do not go off after car is parked and off and continually drains the battery. Sometimes they occasionally go off and come back on because of the door ajar alert. Sometimes the door ajar alert comes on while driving and all interior lights go on causing major visibility issues at night. Child rear safety locks are inactive while door ajar warning light is on and doors cannot lock.

- , Hammond, US