2011 Ford Edge electrical problems: door ajar light stays on

Door Ajar Light Stays On

2011 Ford Edge (Page 1 of 10)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

CarComplaints.com Notes: A frustrating electrical issue is causing an ever-present “door ajar” warning light for 2011-2013 Ford Edge owners. Even with the doors latched shut, faulty sensors convince the vehicle’s computer they aren’t. With no way to override the system, owners have no choice but to stare at the warning light, listen to the warning chimes when the car is stopped, and deal with interior lights that won’t shut off.

7.7

2. replace door ajar sensor (44 reports)
  3. replace door latch assembly (34 reports)
  4. dealer sent electrical pauses through latch (2 reports)
  5. repair latch, sensor (2 reports)
  6. spray latch with WD-40 (2 reports)
2011 Ford Edge electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Jun 232017

Edge SE

The Door Ajar warning light is on for the driver side door, even though the door is shut (slammed shut to try to turn the light off). This appears to be a well known issue based on search results, yet Ford has refused to issue a recall. The estimated cost to fix the issue is $500+ and it appears as the issue can occur again after fixing it since it's an issue with the part itself.

- , Gilbert, US

Aug 082017

Edge SEL

The door ajar warning is always on but the door isn't ajar. This is the driver door. Because of this, the doors in the car won't lock if the key is in the ignition. This is a HUGE safety concern, especially when driving in unsafe areas or alone at night which my job often requires me to do.

- , Saint Louis, US

Dec 122017

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

This car is so good, otherwise I hate that I have to complain about this. I have always had good service out of the other Fords I have owned. But I can't trust this car! If you are driving it the doors unlock on their own and the interior lights stay on. That is dangerous I don't care what Ford or the NHTSA says! I am afraid that it will strand me or my wife somewhere because you can not turn off the interior lights when it does this and then it drains your battery!

I guess Ford changed the design but as is typical in the car business, they know about a problem, quietly fix the new models and the owners of the older models are left to fend for themselves. Ford could at least give older model owners a break on the cost as a good will gesture if nothing else. But Ford will not do anything they are not forced to do either by the govt or the marketplace.

The American car makers will find out again that they are not bulletproof, just like they found out in the 70s and 80 when the Japanese handed them their butts. I ordered the part and will probably put it on my self because I like to work on cars but I can't drive it until then so will they give me something for my inconvenience? Yeah right.

- , Louisville, US

Jan 012016

Edge SEL 3.5

Not only is the door ajar warning annoying but its not safe. I work at night and am unable to lock the doors when this warning is on. How is that not considered a safety concern???

- , Moores Hill, IN, US

Jul 022016

Edge SE

When the door ajar light came on at first I did pay the 250.00 they wanted to fix it, but the fix only lasted a couple of weeks. At first it was only happening to my driver door but now it is affecting my passenger door. This is a safety hazard for me and my family as the lights in the overhead do not shut off at night and the doors will not lock.

- , Westfield, MA, US

Nov 132017

Edge Limited 3.5L V6

I bought the vehicle used with almost 90,000 miles on it. It is just annoying. It happens about 50% of the time. Dealer said it cost $410 to fix. I haven't started with any minor fixes yet. Just good to know this is common and I wish there was a recall.

- , Powder Springs, US

Sep 222017

Edge SEL V6

My door ajar sensor for the back left door won't turn off even when the door is clearly closed. Since the sensor light is on it won't turn off the interior lights when I put the car in reverse therefore it's very hard for me to backup because I can't see anything. I'm afraid I'm going to hit something while backing up. I would hate for someone to get injured because they are unable to see because of a widespread problem that Ford doesn't see as a safety problem. That seems like a liability. Over 2000 complaints of the same issue in only 3 model years seems like something that a company might want to address.

- , Brooklyn Park, US

Nov 252017

Edge SEL V6

The dome light and exterior mirror lights don't always turn off even after the vehicle is turned off and doors locked. The door ajar sensor stays on even after the door is closed. I am worried this is going to cause the battery to drain and eventually drain the battery completely and leave me stranded. Being stranded is the obvious safety issue.

- , Brooklyn Park, US

Oct 092017

Edge

This is the 3rd battery I've had to replace this year. I make sure the doors are closed, locked and interior lights off before leaving it, then I return in the morning to the doors not locked, lights on and the battery draining. How many times does this need to happen to people for Ford to make door sensors/latches that work long term and do not cause the battery to drain? There needs to be a solution that is long lasting.

When purchasing a Ford, customers should be made aware that they will be financially responsible to replace faulty parts continuously. This car that was not cheap to start with and has now turned into an expensive money pit. If I had been told this before my purchase, I would have stuck to Jeep.

Oct 092017

Edge

I was driving on the highway today and while I was at 100kmh, the door ajar light came on along with the interior lights and the doors unlocked. Surely, this is a safety issue? It takes several times for the door ajar light to go off when the car is stationary. How am I supposed to manage the back doors staying locked when small children are in the car? It doesn't take much for a little one to reach over to the handle. I cannot open and close the door when on the highway! Yes, I pulled over to slam the door a dozen times but seriously, that wasn't any safer than driving with open doors.

How many times does the latch have to be replaced to get one that actually works? How many more times do I need to replace the battery because the sensor independently opened when parked and the interior lights came on.

The fact that this issue is still occurring almost 7 years after the issue first started happening, shows the professional nature of the design team and quality of the product.

Dec 152016

Edge Sport V6

This is a most irritating problem! Not only does the door ajar light remain on after the driver's door is closed (repeatedly), the interior lights stays on when exiting the vehicle and then this does not allow you to lock the door right away! Eventually, the interior light goes out (10 minutes) and then I have to make sure the vehicle is locked. Such a pain!

- , Lansing, MI, US

Jul 012017

Edge Limited V6

the door light won't turn off. even if the door is close and locked. still stay on.

- , Mansfield, TX, US

Jul 022015

Edge 3.2L

HAD DOOR LATCH REPLACED 2 YEARS AGO. PROBLEM CAME BACK. CAN'T AFFORD $350.00 EVERY TIME THIS PROBLEM OCCURS.

- , Mooresville, US

Mar 012017

Edge SEL 3.2L

Drivers side door ajar warning light is on, even when door is closed. Door locks will not work, dome light stays on. This is a safety hazard when driving at night since reduces night vision as well as allows the doors to be opened by anyone.

Sep 222017

Edge

EVER SINCE I BOUGHT THIS CAR EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE IT WOULD SAY DRIVER DOOR AJAR. WHEN IT WASNT. AND NOT BEING A COUPLE MONTHS LATER ITS ALWAYS SAYIGN THAT HWEN THE DOOR ISNT OPEN. THERES BEEN A COPLE TIMES WHERE MY DOOR WOULDNT CLOSE. SO I THINK ITS THE LATCH. NOT THE SENOR. THIS SHOULD BE RECALLED AS ITS CLEARLY HAPPNED TO MANY OTHER PEOPLE.

- , Windham, US

Aug 012017

Edge 6

The driver door ajar comes on even when the doors are closed. The interior lights stay illuminated so I have to open and close the door several times before they go off. I know its going to drain my battery before long especially if it happens in daylight when I may not notice the problem. Why is there no recall on this problem?

- , New York, US

Jun 282017

Edge Sport 3.7L V6

Door is shut but the door ajar stays on. battery died several times. thinking of selling this SUV and will never buy a Ford product again. I'm finding that this problem has been going on for years with Ford saying fix it yourself. I say fix Ford and the problem will be solved. very aggravating! nice SUV but if you're scared the kids are going to open the door going down the road because the doors won't lock it's definitely not worth it.

- , Newton, US

Sep 112017

Edge Sport 3.7L V6

SECOND TIME same car. Driver's door. Door Ajar light starts out randomly. Door is fully closed, but warning light wont shut off. Interior lights take longer and longer to shut off, until they stop shutting off and drain the battery. Doors will not auto-lock when driving down the road. The last time it was the driver side rear and the fix was to replace a faulty rear door latch for $591.99. I called Ford Customer Service and they don't agree that it is a problem that 2 door latches on the same car would have failed. -- a part that should last for the life of the car. For business and pleasure, we own 15 Ford vehicles. Will be reconsidering brands for my next purchase.

Update from Sep 21, 2017: UPDATE: Bill Estes Ford, Brownsburg Indiana worked with Ford and they agreed to do the repair at Ford's cost. I was very thankful of them and feel they did the "right" thing here.

Update from Sep 28, 2017: UPDATE: Bill Estes Ford, Brownsburg, IN worked with Ford and got them to fix this door latch issue at no charge! I was very thankful for them in convincing Ford to do the Right Thing!

- , Avon, US

Aug 012017

Edge LX 3.2L

Every time we close the door, we have to reopen and close numerous time before the door will indicate that it is closed. Getting tired of see "passenger door ajar"

- , Hemingway, US

Mar 032017

Edge Sport 3.7L V6

Door Ajar light randomly comes on when door is actually shut (driver side rear). Problem becomes more and more frequent. Doors will not auto-lock when in motion. Interior lights take longer to shut off and at times when the car is turned off, the door ajar light stays on and the interior lights do not turn off. Despite complaints on this issue and recalls being issued for other Ford products for door latches, Ford said that this is a consumer issue. The door latch assembly was replaced.

- , Avon, US