2011 Ford Edge electrical problems: door ajar light stays on

Door Ajar Light Stays On

2011 Ford Edge (Page 1 of 10)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

CarComplaints.com Notes: A frustrating electrical issue is causing an ever-present “door ajar” warning light for 2011-2013 Ford Edge owners. Even with the doors latched shut, faulty sensors convince the vehicle’s computer they aren’t. With no way to override the system, owners have no choice but to stare at the warning light, listen to the warning chimes when the car is stopped, and deal with interior lights that won’t shut off.

7.7

$420

2. replace door ajar sensor (44 reports)
  3. replace door latch assembly (34 reports)
  4. dealer sent electrical pauses through latch (2 reports)
  5. repair latch, sensor (2 reports)
  6. replaced door latch assembly (2 reports)
2011 Ford Edge electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Mar 202018

Edge Limited V6

Listen, I just had a meltdown on the way to work this morning because I was afraid to drive due to the passenger side door ajar light was on. This might not seem like a big deal to the manufacturers, however, this is nerve racking and causes a great deal of anxiety as a driver. In addition, this also causes a distraction for the driver.

I shouldn't have to feel on edge or worried on my everyday commute to work.

We purchase our vehicles based on safety and luxury. How is this safe or luxury constantly being worried that the door will fly open as I'm driving or worrying that my 7 year old can open the door since the doors will not lock while this door ajar light is on.

In addition, I didn't pay over $20,000.00 for a luxury vehicle to have mishaps like this. If you made things correct the first time, there wouldn't be complaints about things going wrong in the future.

This isn't normal "wear and tear" on a vehicle such as replacing tires or brakes.

Good companies are willing to back up their work, why wouldn't this issue be backed?

I just want things to work properly.

Why do people have to be injured in order for something to be done?

Update from Apr 17, 2018: Here is an update- last Friday (4/13/18) I left the house with my 7 year old to take her to schoo. I open the passenger door and noticed that my car wasn’t locked. In addition to my car not being locked (due to this door ajar issue), my car was ransacked and I had a couple items stolen.

It’s sad that it takes some one getting injured or worse for a recall to be made.

- Jennifer M., Marion, US

Jun 152017

Edge

Constantly drained the battery every few months. Battery died.

- Wendy F., Woodleaf, US

Oct 202017

Edge SEL V6

It started happening at the end of October, but it would once in awhile shut off. New Years Eve it died the first time, and since it has died 2 more times. I have to start it 2 hours before I leave for work, and then again on my lunch break to make sure it will start. I cannot believe this has not been recalled, so ridiculous and frustrating. I have tried cleaning it and using the grease. It works for a day or 2, but then goes back to its regular annoying ways. I feel like the only option is to break the black plastic piece and the white piece like that YouTube video out. Or try to replace the sensor and have it go out again??? That’s insane Ford, c’mon. I love the Ford Edge otherwise, in fact, my husband and I actually got another one after an accident and totaled it. It’s unfortunate I didn’t know about this before getting the second one! 😒

- heather86marie, Brooklyn Park, US

Feb 282018

Edge Limited V6

Spouse traveling alone noticed interior lights going on and off and car sitting in driveway. Fear of dead battery if lights don't go off. Very annoying. Many fears related to car shutting down while driving causing an accident. Car door ajar couldn't be remedied with repeated door closings. Research indicates this is a problem many other vehicles with same make and model are experiencing with $400 fix.

- Jim G., Island Lake, US

Jun 232017

Edge SE

The Door Ajar warning light is on for the driver side door, even though the door is shut (slammed shut to try to turn the light off). This appears to be a well known issue based on search results, yet Ford has refused to issue a recall. The estimated cost to fix the issue is $500+ and it appears as the issue can occur again after fixing it since it's an issue with the part itself.

- Melanie G., Gilbert, US

Aug 082017

Edge SEL

The door ajar warning is always on but the door isn't ajar. This is the driver door. Because of this, the doors in the car won't lock if the key is in the ignition. This is a HUGE safety concern, especially when driving in unsafe areas or alone at night which my job often requires me to do.

- Amy L., Saint Louis, US

Dec 122017

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

This car is so good, otherwise I hate that I have to complain about this. I have always had good service out of the other Fords I have owned. But I can't trust this car! If you are driving it the doors unlock on their own and the interior lights stay on. That is dangerous I don't care what Ford or the NHTSA says! I am afraid that it will strand me or my wife somewhere because you can not turn off the interior lights when it does this and then it drains your battery!

I guess Ford changed the design but as is typical in the car business, they know about a problem, quietly fix the new models and the owners of the older models are left to fend for themselves. Ford could at least give older model owners a break on the cost as a good will gesture if nothing else. But Ford will not do anything they are not forced to do either by the govt or the marketplace.

The American car makers will find out again that they are not bulletproof, just like they found out in the 70s and 80 when the Japanese handed them their butts. I ordered the part and will probably put it on my self because I like to work on cars but I can't drive it until then so will they give me something for my inconvenience? Yeah right.

- lcardfan10mc, Louisville, US

Jan 012016

Edge SEL 3.5

Not only is the door ajar warning annoying but its not safe. I work at night and am unable to lock the doors when this warning is on. How is that not considered a safety concern???

- jrobcon, Moores Hill, IN, US

Jul 022016

Edge SE

When the door ajar light came on at first I did pay the 250.00 they wanted to fix it, but the fix only lasted a couple of weeks. At first it was only happening to my driver door but now it is affecting my passenger door. This is a safety hazard for me and my family as the lights in the overhead do not shut off at night and the doors will not lock.

- Dennis M., Westfield, MA, US

Nov 132017

Edge Limited 3.5L V6

I bought the vehicle used with almost 90,000 miles on it. It is just annoying. It happens about 50% of the time. Dealer said it cost $410 to fix. I haven't started with any minor fixes yet. Just good to know this is common and I wish there was a recall.

- Joel K., Powder Springs, US

Sep 222017

Edge SEL V6

My door ajar sensor for the back left door won't turn off even when the door is clearly closed. Since the sensor light is on it won't turn off the interior lights when I put the car in reverse therefore it's very hard for me to backup because I can't see anything. I'm afraid I'm going to hit something while backing up. I would hate for someone to get injured because they are unable to see because of a widespread problem that Ford doesn't see as a safety problem. That seems like a liability. Over 2000 complaints of the same issue in only 3 model years seems like something that a company might want to address.

- Thea L., Brooklyn Park, US

Nov 252017

Edge SEL V6

The dome light and exterior mirror lights don't always turn off even after the vehicle is turned off and doors locked. The door ajar sensor stays on even after the door is closed. I am worried this is going to cause the battery to drain and eventually drain the battery completely and leave me stranded. Being stranded is the obvious safety issue.

- Thea L., Brooklyn Park, US

Oct 092017

Edge

This is the 3rd battery I've had to replace this year. I make sure the doors are closed, locked and interior lights off before leaving it, then I return in the morning to the doors not locked, lights on and the battery draining. How many times does this need to happen to people for Ford to make door sensors/latches that work long term and do not cause the battery to drain? There needs to be a solution that is long lasting.

When purchasing a Ford, customers should be made aware that they will be financially responsible to replace faulty parts continuously. This car that was not cheap to start with and has now turned into an expensive money pit. If I had been told this before my purchase, I would have stuck to Jeep.

- Sarah M., Mississauga, ON, Canada

Oct 092017

Edge

I was driving on the highway today and while I was at 100kmh, the door ajar light came on along with the interior lights and the doors unlocked. Surely, this is a safety issue? It takes several times for the door ajar light to go off when the car is stationary. How am I supposed to manage the back doors staying locked when small children are in the car? It doesn't take much for a little one to reach over to the handle. I cannot open and close the door when on the highway! Yes, I pulled over to slam the door a dozen times but seriously, that wasn't any safer than driving with open doors.

How many times does the latch have to be replaced to get one that actually works? How many more times do I need to replace the battery because the sensor independently opened when parked and the interior lights came on.

The fact that this issue is still occurring almost 7 years after the issue first started happening, shows the professional nature of the design team and quality of the product.

- Sarah M., Mississauga, ON, Canada

Dec 152016

Edge Sport V6

This is a most irritating problem! Not only does the door ajar light remain on after the driver's door is closed (repeatedly), the interior lights stays on when exiting the vehicle and then this does not allow you to lock the door right away! Eventually, the interior light goes out (10 minutes) and then I have to make sure the vehicle is locked. Such a pain!

- Regina M., Lansing, MI, US

Jul 012017

Edge Limited V6

the door light won't turn off. even if the door is close and locked. still stay on.

- Zack C., Mansfield, TX, US

Jul 022015

Edge 3.2L

HAD DOOR LATCH REPLACED 2 YEARS AGO. PROBLEM CAME BACK. CAN'T AFFORD $350.00 EVERY TIME THIS PROBLEM OCCURS.

- James K., Mooresville, US

Mar 012017

Edge SEL 3.2L

Drivers side door ajar warning light is on, even when door is closed. Door locks will not work, dome light stays on. This is a safety hazard when driving at night since reduces night vision as well as allows the doors to be opened by anyone.

- liuford, Mississauga, ON, Canada

Sep 222017

Edge

EVER SINCE I BOUGHT THIS CAR EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE IT WOULD SAY DRIVER DOOR AJAR. WHEN IT WASNT. AND NOT BEING A COUPLE MONTHS LATER ITS ALWAYS SAYIGN THAT HWEN THE DOOR ISNT OPEN. THERES BEEN A COPLE TIMES WHERE MY DOOR WOULDNT CLOSE. SO I THINK ITS THE LATCH. NOT THE SENOR. THIS SHOULD BE RECALLED AS ITS CLEARLY HAPPNED TO MANY OTHER PEOPLE.

- Kaitlyn N., Windham, US

Aug 012017

Edge 6

The driver door ajar comes on even when the doors are closed. The interior lights stay illuminated so I have to open and close the door several times before they go off. I know its going to drain my battery before long especially if it happens in daylight when I may not notice the problem. Why is there no recall on this problem?

- Sean M., New York, US