ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2012 Ford Edge electrical problems: door ajar light stays on

Door Ajar Light Stays On

2012 Ford Edge (Page 1 of 6)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

CarComplaints.com Notes: A frustrating electrical issue is causing an ever-present “door ajar” warning light for 2011-2013 Ford Edge owners. Even with the doors latched shut, faulty sensors convince the vehicle’s computer they aren’t. With no way to override the system, owners have no choice but to stare at the warning light, listen to the warning chimes when the car is stopped, and deal with interior lights that won’t shut off.

7.8

$350

2. installed new door latch (10 reports)
  3. repair door latch, sensor (10 reports)
  4. clean door sensor (6 reports)
  5. replace entire door latch assembly (5 reports)
  6. replaced door latch switch (2 reports)
2012 Ford Edge electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Edge:

2012 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Jul 162018

Edge ES 3.2L V6

I went online to check on this issue and found out it has been quite a common issue for the 2012 Ford Edge. Not happy that this has not been a recall issued by Ford. It did it a little bit before and now it does it every time I shut the door. The constant ringing of the bell, now is starting to get on my nerves.

- Claire M., Chesapeake, VA, US

Feb 012018

Edge Sport

The left rear door ajar stays on constantly. Dome light stays on a few while driving then shut off. The dome light stayed on all night recently and caused battery to die. This has happened twice. Tried spaying WD-40 inside latch but light didn't go out. This is so annoying especially with light on at night.

Update from Aug 15, 2018: Disabled the piece in rear door latch and light went off day or two with a new battery. Drove it and turned engine off with normal driving time.Today the "rear door ajar" light came back on!! So beyond annoyed and dissatisfied with this Ford Edge!! Now I see there's a recall concerning the air bags on it. Will NEVER buy a Ford again!!

- docwade003, Snow Camp, US

Jun 282018

Edge XLT V6

Most annoying and distracting, dash light comes on telling you door is open. When stopped at a red light/stop sign chimes to tell you to shut door, end up looking like a nut opening and slamming the door to get the sensor to go off, sometimes works, other times not. When parking, interior and aux lights stay on, and if you DON'T catch it, your battery is drained.

- Paul M., Oxford, US

Jul 292018

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

Beyond the annoying beeping and the constant warning light, the doors don't lock at driving speeds, the dome lights stay on after exiting and then drain the battery. That has happened twice and is certainly a pain in the a$$. Sad to pay good money for a vehicle and have it have these little quirks that make it less valuable and almost annoying to own.

- Craig B., Alma, US

Apr 012016

Edge SE 3.5L V6

It is really unsafe when the light is on, as the doors could not be automatically locked when I started driving. Also, it happened several times that the interior lights stayed on due to the door ajar issue, which caused my battery running out and I could not start my car (call Jumper service every time from my insurance company or my friend), really, really inconvenient.

- Xinglin L., New Haven, US

Jan 012018

Edge ES 3.5L

The passenger rear left door open caution light was intermittent but now constantly stays on. This is a huge concern because I don't want my battery to drain since it keeps the dome light on.

- pidolphin, Marietta, US

May 012018

Edge Limited 3.5L V6

"Door Ajar" warning stays on even when door is closed. It keeps lights on inside the vehicle and will drain the battery if I don't sit in the car and close the door multiple (sometimes 10x) times. It also sets off the car alarm, and I cannot lock the vehicle even when it's off because the car thinks the door is still open.

- Christina G., Rockaway, US

Mar 012018

Edge SEL V6

It goes to Gord dealership to get fixed on 5/15/18. I AM NOT HAPPY ABOUT THIS SITUATION. I should not have to pay to correct this problem. Should be on a recall. Feel free to reach out to dealership to advise about this issue.

- Sue W., Springville, US

May 012016

Edge SEL FWD 3.5L Ti-Vct-V6

The door ajar light comes on and the interior lights don't shut off. It chimes constantly and runs my battery down. I've had to get a new battery and have my car battery jumped. It's very distracting when trying to drive and very frustrating. Ford needs to make a recall on this.

Update from Sep 13, 2018: The door ajar light comes on all the time it's a huge pain in the ass, my Ford Edge is the biggest piece of crap there ever was.

- Julie L., Mackinaw, IL, US

Oct 232017

Edge

This error has been systemic as I have noticed there have been over 2,000 complaints online and no recall because this is not a dangerous situation, or not enough people have been injured/died to warrant a recall. The error is apparently electrical in nature and can cost $500 to fix at least. I live on a budget and cannot afford the fix, and I am kicking myself for not researching errors with the Ford Edge before I bought the used car.

I will never make that mistake again, and I am certainly not buying a Ford again.

- Robert M., Herndon, US

Mar 312018

Edge LES 3.5L V6

I got this car two days ago, and this is what I get. If I cant have it fixed I don't know what I am going to do about it.

- Emily G., Hoffman Estates, IL, US

Jan 182018

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

Started the car after shopping and there was a "Door ajar light and Alert sound came on... I opened and closed the driver's door several times and the Alert kept coming on... I pressed the OK button on the steering wheel and the sound would go off until I slowed down or stopped at a light. After accelerating, the sound usually stops, but the light does not go out... It should be noted that one cannot lock the doors once the Alert comes on. When I purchased the vehicle I really liked it, but now that this annoying security risk and potential safety issue has reared its ugly head, I don't think I would buy another Ford product... and would warn others looking to purchase. I have two other upscale non-Ford vehicles and there has been no difficulty with anything on either of them... After seeing all the reports of this same problem, it seems as if a recall is in order before a door does open up and someone gets injured or worse, or due to the doors not locking, a security breach puts someone in harms way and or something of important value gets stolen or worse...

- pitahark, FRANKLIN, MA, United States

Oct 232017

Edge Limited V6

My rear left door is definitely shut but the warning tells me "rear left door ajar" which keeps my interior lights on while driving or when I'm done driving running the risk of an accident due to difficult sight with the interior light on while driving or having the battery drain while it is parked. Cannot believe a recall has not been issued on this.

- Lucy L., Gilberts, IL, US

Mar 012014

Edge Limited 3.5L V6

The Door Ajar light is on all the time. The door latches, but the sensor doesn't recognize it, and continuously alerts me that my door is ajar. Every time my car comes to a stop (imagine city driving) the alarm bells go off, reminding me that my door is open and that I need to put my car in park until it's shut. Not a big deal, right? Just a little annoying?

Here's why it's a big deal. Because the car thinks the door is open, the doors cannot be locked while the car is in motion. If you attempt to lock your doors, they immediately unlock. I have a toddler who discovered, while we were driving down the highway, that he was able to open his door.

At night, my car is constantly a target for burglary. I don't have a garage, so it is visible from the street. My neighborhood has a problem with people pulling on door handles, and my car has been hit up 3 separate times in as many years. Why? THE LIGHTS ARE ALWAYS ON. Anytime it detects motion nearby, it will illuminate the cabin. Super convenient for thieves.

Not to mention the drain on my battery, which I've had to replace twice.

Never buying another Ford.

- Andrew O., Springfield, IL, US

Jan 152018

Edge SEL V6

Drivers door ajar constantly indicated, even when the door is shut, due to faulty switch. This causes the dome light to stay on after the car is left. Door locks do not operate properly. Incessant warning chime is extremely annoying.

- Michael G., Houston, US

Dec 052017

Edge SEL 3.2L V6

The driver door ajar light is constantly on along with the warning beep. The door is definitely shut. If I slam the door any harder the window will break! The beeping stops when I shift into drive. When I come to a stop, though, the beeping starts and the warning light shows "Shift to Park." The doors will not lock while the car is in motion. The other day the dome lights stayed on causing the battery to drain. I was quite embarrassed when the tow truck technician came to rescue me! I haven't taken the car to the dealership as I don't want to pay big bucks for the repair!

- mprouse, La Crosse, US

Jun 302014

Edge

The door ajar light in the vehicle stays on even when the door is properly latched. This causes the doors to remain unlocked, and the lights to stay on. The car dings at you every time you come up off of the brakes because it thinks your door is open. This is so annoying, especially in LA stop-and-go traffic. The doors not locking make me nervous that anybody could just come up and get in my car. The lights remaining on drain my battery, and I am constantly replacing it. I had the switch cleaned when this first started happening, at $150 because I was 500 miles outside of my standard warranty. 2 months later it started happening again. I think it's terrible that Ford won't fix this problem. I won't ever buy a Ford again, it drives me nuts.

- Ciara G., Winnetka, US

Apr 152015

Edge SEL

Console suddenly started telling me my driver door was ajar. After trying to slam it shut over 15 times, the alert did not go away. The door was definitely closed but doors would not lock while in motion, interior lights stayed on (even when the vehicle was off!), and the alert continued to ding. This was an intermittent problem, sometimes the alert popped up, sometimes it didn't. It progressed and got more frequent so I brought it into the dealership. They cleaned the sensor and it was back to normal, and luckily covered by my extended (non-factory) warranty, but still cost me $100 deductible. Needless to say, I never felt safe driving the vehicle when the door ajar alert was on because none of the doors would lock!

Two and a half years later, this problem has resurfaced, and now I'm being told by the dealership that the entire latch needs replacement! So, another $100 deductible! I will post another post about the recurrence of this issue in 2017 on my vehicle.

- Heather G., Nashua, NH, US

Oct 152017

Edge SEL

This is the SECOND time I've needed this door ajar issue addressed. The first time was in 2015 when they just cleaned the sensor. Now two years later the same problem is BACK and Ford dealership says the entire latch needs to be replaced! Why couldn't they do this the first time around (my theory is that they get two services out of one problem, more $$$!) Luckily my extended warranty will cover the issue but it will still cost me $100. Getting it repaired this weekend.

Here's what's happening: Interior lights are remaining on, even when the door is securely closed. Door Ajar alert stays on while driving, even though the door is closed. Interior lights do go off when driving, but when stopping and then taking foot off the brake, the chime will sound again saying door is ajar. Doors do not lock when car is in motion (Safety issue!)

- Heather G., Nashua, NH, US

Dec 032017

Edge Limited 2.0L

I just want Ford to do what they should have already done and issue a recall for this problem.

- David E., Skiatook, OK, US