ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

8.9

$1,250

2. replace power steering column (32 reports)
  3. shut down engine and restart (15 reports)
  4. replace torque sensor (12 reports)
  5. replace steering module and wheel alignment needed with this (1 reports)
2008 Ford Escape steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Sep 282018

Escape LXT 2.3L

Ford issued a safety recall (14S05) for this exact issue, they updated software, but did not actually correct the failure that occurs. The car will be driving along and then jerk one way and then go into manual steering mode. My daughter cannot handle the manual steering at low speeds and went over the curb while trying to correct.

- skillethead1, Ames, US

Oct 162018

Escape XLS 2.3L

Today the power steering completely went out, never to return. I hear a recall was shut down and I'm stuck with an estimate of $1500.00.

- Leander E., Saint Louis, MO, US

Mar 302018

Escape

I saw that there was a petition for the National safety committee to investigate if Ford was negligent in not fixing this problem and am wanting to know what the result of that investigation was. We are one of those who had the recall repair done before there was any problem and then had the power steering fail after the supposed repair. Ford is quoting $5,000 to repair now!!! And saying that because the recall was completed it is now "closed out" and cannot be "reopened". The problem still exists! What is being done??

- rkanton2, Franklin, US

Mar 152018

Escape

This should have been a recall repair. There was a huge steering module recall on Ford Escape 2008-2011 but I took the car to Levittown Ford dealer and they said it was not covered by the recall. THE CAR WAS UNDRIVEABLE, steering locked. I paid for the repair but it should have been covered by the recall because the steering module was the problem and that was the subject of the recall. I am wondering if the dealer marked the recall done but charged me anyway?

- Irene P., Glen Head, NY, US

Apr 232018

Escape Limited V6

Recently experienced a "Power Steering Assist Fault" on my 2008 Ford Escape. After doing research, I found out that there was a recall on certain year Escape's built at the Kansas City plant. I read the information associated with the recall and learned there are three solutions based on what codes are pulled from the computer.

1. Reprogram the system so the computer upgrades (easiest fix); 2. replace the torque sensor; 3. replace the entire steering column (last resort). Each option should fix the problem.

After speaking with my local FORD Dealer, I learned that the recall had been performed on my vehicle in October 2014 (I purchased the vehicle February 2015). I have owned the vehicle less than 4 years and have put less than 20,000 miles on it (it currently has 158,000 miles on it.) The dealerships gave me two options: 1) bring in the vehicle so it can be diagnosed but I will more than likely be responsible for the cost; or 2) come in and speak with a sales person about purchasing a new vehicle because the mileage on mine is high. If FORD's first solution to reprogram the system does not ultimately fix the problem, when the issue reoccurs, it is still a safety issue.

A recalled part should be completely fixed so the customer does not have the same issue again. Does anyone know if there is a warranty on service? For example, if a recall repair fails, is it covered for a certain amount of time? Here are some Q&As from a document I found online that was sent to "All US Ford and Lincoln Dealers" After reading the questions and answers, it seems like FORD never intended to replace any actual parts, but only reprogram the module. It clearly states the fix would mitigate the risk of power steering failure. Unfortunately, it only does for a short time.

Safety Recall 14S05 Certain 2008-2011 Model Year Escape and Mariner Vehicles Electric Power Steering DEALER Q & A Q1. What is the problem? A. Ford is voluntarily recalling certain 2008-2011 model year Escape and Mariner vehicles to address concerns relating to power steering operation. In some of the affected vehicles, the power steering system may revert to manual steering mode due to an Electric Power Steering system fault related to the torque sensor. In manual steering mode there is still a mechanical linkage between the steering wheel and the road wheel, allowing steering control to be maintained. If this condition should occur, the steering effort may be greater at low speeds, which may increase the risk of accident.

Q2. Why are some vehicles repaired through part replacement and others repaired through module reprogramming? A. Each of these repairs mitigates the safety risk associated with this recall. The replacement torque sensor and steering column have improved durability to prevent the condition that results in loss of steering assist. Reprograming the modules will prevent the sudden loss of steering assist while driving, will display a warning light or message, and a chime will sound to inform the driver.

Q3. What does the software updates do? A. The software updates may extend the time steering assist is maintained. In addition, the update provides increased driver awareness by sounding a chime and displaying the wrench light or warning in the message center when a fault is detected.

Q4. What if a customer experiences loss of steering assist after the modules have been reprogrammed? A. The modules were reprogrammed to prevent sudden loss of steering assist while driving. Additionally, the instrument cluster software update will provide audible and visual indications to the driver in the unlikely event of a torque sensor fault. Any subsequent loss of assist repairs experienced after completion of module reprogramming are not covered by this recall.

Q5. What should I tell a customer who experiences loss of steering assist after the recall has been performed? A. The modules were reprogrammed to prevent sudden loss of steering assist while driving in the event of a torque sensor fault. Customers should be advised that the replacement of the steering column or torque sensor is at their expense.

- Jesse K., Manchester, NH, US

Nov 082017

Escape XLT 3.0L

Electric steering failed in a parking lot. Thank GOD!

I have spent days on the Internet finding information on the problem, looking up parts and procedures. I have the repair manual and it does not address fixes or information available about the system. One of the things I have done since I was 13 is fix cars, boats, jet skies, lawn equipment and appliances. I am now 58. My vehicles have gone to auto shops about 4 times. Three were four transmission replacements and one was for carburetor problem. My Family's fleet is 9 vehicles. I have repaired all of them. This issue really pisses me off. You build vehicles with electric steering.make it work the whole life of the vehicle! Make information and parts available. This is a very important issue! People can be killed or injured when these failures accrue. FIX THEM AND RECALL VEHICLES !

- mickirig1, Akron, US

Mar 072018

Escape XLT 3.0L

I own a 2008 Ford Escape for years now. I had a recall done on the Escape in August 2014 for Power Steering Failure. Well now all of a sudden last night the power steering went out again. I get a Power Steering Assist Failure and no power steering in the car. I called Ford since this was fixed under warranty in 2014 which is less than 4 yrs ago. They advised since it was already fixed and the warranty closed out that it's my responsibility to have fix. I am so frustrated with this car right now. I've been having one problem after another on this car. The car will going into the mechanic tomorrow to see what possibly went in the power steering. Also, I am on my second water pump in this car as well.

- Tera R., Wilkes Barre, PA, US

Feb 082018

Escape Limited 6 cyl

2008 Ford Escape limited power steering quit. Thank God I was going slow, almost crashed into a car in a parking lot. Now they say $1000 or more to fix, needs a new steering column. Ford says they are not going to help.

- sailorlen10, Lowell, MA, USA

Jan 162018

Escape XLT 3.0L

STEERING MESSED UP RIGHT AFTER I BOUGHT THIS ESCAPE, BUT STARTED WORKING AGAIN REPORTED IT TO THE CAR LOT. SAID TO IF IT DOES IT AGAIN TO CALL THEM. SO A FEW MOUNTS LATER IT DID IT AGAIN. SO THEY SENT A FLAT BED TRUCK TO PICK IT UP. THEY GOT HERE, STARTED THE ESCAPE. THE STEERING WAS FINE SO THEY DID NOT TAKE IT. FINALLY FOUND A RECALL. TOOK IT TO FORD THEY SAID IT WAS FIXED 2014. NOW IT HAS QUIT ALL TOGETHER. MY WIFE ALMOST HIT A SMI. CALLED FORD SAID THEY CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT BECAUSE THEY ALREADY DID THE RECALL. NOW I HAVE TO PAY FOR IT AND IT IS THE SAME PROBLEM THAT IS BULL SH*T!!!!!!! THANK YOU

- Eleanor F., mecca ind, IN, US

Jun 102014

Escape XLT 4WD 3.0L V6

In 2014, one month after I almost crashed and burned, Ford issued a Safety Recall Notice for the 2008 Ford Escape. The issue was "the power steering system may revert to manual steering mode due to an Electric Power Steering system fault related to the torque sensor. An unexpected loss of steering assist while driving would require higher steering effort at lower vehicle speeds, which may increase the risk of accident." Well, duh! This little old granny nearly took out a couple of unsuspecting drivers waiting at a red light! Anyhow, I don't know what it cost to fix the "issue" because I didn't have to pay for it; however, on the receipt I got from my Ford Dealer, it does not say what they did to fix the problem, only that they performed the recall. Now I find myself in 2016 with the power steering starting to act strange like it did in 2014. The only difference is, this time I recognized the problem and the first time it took me totally by surprise and nearly caused me to have an accident. The steering not only tightens up at low speeds when you're turning a corner, but I noticed today on the highway at certain times it became tight. Ford will not want to fix this on their dime, but since it was not permanently fixed when they issued the recall, I feel it is still their responsibility to make it right and ensure that I don't kill myself or someone else! What do you think?

- dixiep, Montrose, CO, USA

Jan 072018

Escape XLT 3.2L

Similar / Common to other 2008 Ford Escapes. Driving on icy / frozen highway and going around a corner electric power steering went out without warning. I thought we were going to crash. Two grand children in car (in back seats in their car seats). Insane event. Got the car off the highway and my daughter picked us up. Too dangerous to continue with the kids the car. Also, an electrical burning -smell developed. No fire...but the electric burn smell never is a positive development.

When I went online found out there have been worse episodes related to the same problem.

Also, there is one ERRONEOUS report this was a recall item. Turns out that is a fake WEBSITE (sure looked real).

I'm up to $2,000 in repairs (Steering column)--waiting to hear if the torque sensors are going to need repairs. Apparently the sensors cannot be tested until the column is removed?

Took to dealer (freeway Ford). They seem reputable (I have had other cars serviced there).

I have always had a Ford...Taurus wagon; Taurus sedan; First gen Focus wagon; Ford Five Hundred...and they were fairly good cars. The Taurus' and the 500 were tanks. All over 150,000 miles ...with minimal issues. The Focus was hinky but not terrible. And, this Escape seemed to be solid. But this event was unsettling to say the least.

- Mark D., Minneapolis, US

Dec 112017

Escape XLT 2.3L

Loss of power steering caused by the torque sensor now not covered by the recall issued in 2015 for people getting in accidents due to loss of steering. This is my wife's car and hauls my kids around everywhere. Had the power steering gone out while she was driving this could have caused a serious accident. There was a recall in 2014 that we took the vehicle into the dealership to re-calibrate the steering. Since I had taken the vehicle in and had the re-calibration done when Ford issued the recall, Ford had closed the recall on my vehicle after re-calibration.

My complaint is that Ford should have left this recall open or just replaced the column all together from the Kansas plant. Ford has lost all respect for not honoring a safety recall and refusing to pay for this known issue AND KNOWINGLY ENDANGERED MY FAMILY to save a few dollars.

- Aaron P., Eagle Mountain, US

Nov 172017

Escape 3

This can cause a accident but Ford states it's not their problem because they updated the computer on a recall so any cost now is my problem. I have seen where it can be done by following online steps but am not sure if the component is the right one.

- Juan R., Tucson, US

Jan 232014

Escape Limited

This is an ongoing, intermittent problem. My concern is that the power steering will go out while driving. At this point I am unable to drive this vehicle, but husband can manage it. We are definitely going to have to have this repaired. I was current on all servicing and recalls. This needs to be covered by FMC.

- Sandra C., Houston, US

Sep 012017

Escape Limited

This is a known manufacturer defect which should be covered by FMC.

- Sandra C., Houston, US

Aug 022017

Escape XLT 3.0L

Pretty Standard !!! Received a Recall Notice Sept. 2016 (14S05). Hadn't had any issues EXCEPT u-joint on lower steering column, which I replaced. March of 2017, had to get a new key programmed at a local dealership, was informed they had done the "Recall" then. August 2017, making a quick right turn into an alley from a busy street and lost power steering assist. Went back to same dealership and was told the recall had been closed out in March. Not sure if it's the entire column that needs to be replaced or just the torque sensor. Regardless, I'M gonna be paying for it !!! Thanks Ford ... scratch ANOTHER future customer !!!

- Themroogi .., Medicine Hat, AB, Canada

Feb 082017

Escape 3.2L V6

Power Steering Assist Failure....lost power steering and nearly slammed into traffic as I made a left turn. This car went to the Ford Dealership after recall notice I received several months back...2016 for a software update. Now without Power Steering and cannot afford those repairs. Pissed and seeking solutions. Thanks

- David K., Brighton, CO, USA

Jan 172017

Escape 4 cyl

I took my car to Ford and they reset the code for the sensor last year. They didn't bother to tell me that on the same year and same model with a 6 cyl that there was a recall for this issue. Then when driving down an icy freeway my steering went out. Took it to my tech. and he ordered a new sensor and installed it, but needs a code from ford to align or calibrate the sensor and Ford responded with it may cost a thousand dollars. Now how about that for keeping you customers happy and safe? Well I am not sure how much this is going to cost or how it is going to be fixed, but Ford just lost a lifetime second generational customer!!

- climbers, Eagle River, AK, USA

Jan 072017

Escape XLT 2.3L I4

Frustrated with the fact that it appears there was a recall on this but I did not get notified.

Calling dealer tomorrow, see how they handle.....

- Robert S., Plymouth, MN, USA

Dec 082016

Escape

This Vehicle has a recall that states that a computer software needs to be updated and if it shows a history of loss of power steering than the torque steering sensor should be replaced free of charge. Ford did a soft ware upgrade and one year later I loss the power steering. They told me that it would cost me almost $1000.00 for repair because they complied with the recall. Knowing that this sensor will go out in the near future they did a quick fix's with a computer up grade and not fixing the real problem. I've always own a fords and I believe this is a rotten why to treat their customers.

- Ray G., Deer Park, WA, US