CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Ford Escape has been in the news quite a bit and for all the wrong reasons. Within a few months of its release the SUV was recalled three times, twice because of engine fires.

In July 2012, due to a fuel line that could split and leak, Ford told owners to park their cars because even driving to the dealership for repairs was deemed too dangerous. Instead, in a somewhat unprecedented move, Ford sent tow trucks to pick up the affected vehicles and handed out rental cars while the owners waited for repairs.

A few months later the Escape was recalled again because antifreeze could leak out onto the engine due to a freeze plug becoming dislodged. As the coolant hit the hot engine there was, once again, a threat for fire.

The 2013 is the first model year of the Escape's 3rd generation and proves once again that you want to avoid the first model year when at all possible.

2013 Ford Escape electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Escape:

2013 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 11)

Aug 092019

Escape

I was driving my car on a very busy highway and then the engine failure light came on and my car went into limp mode and stalled out several times while I was driving, this was very unsafe as I had cars going by me as I was stalling out, this could have caused a crash. I took it to the mechanic and he stated that it is a problem with my wiring harness. There is a tsb out but it says that my car was manufactured two months prior then the dates listed for the tsb. There is also a recall for my year make and model in the correct manufacturing dates but I am being told by a Ford representative that it isn't my car without them even looking at it.

- Center City, MN, USA

Aug 092019

Escape

Vehicle continually stalls at idle rendering the car unsafe to drive. The manufacturer has made 3 separate attempts to resolve the issue all to no avail.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 012019

Escape

Engine stalls when in low or idle when engine is warm. Does T every time I come back out to my vehicle after going somewhere.

- Joplin, MO, USA

Jul 302019

Escape

The transmission shift cable wore down and broke off several Ford Escapes are already recalled for this but mine is not on the list. My vehicle was in motion when this happened on a city street and would not continue to move I have 2 small children and I am pregnant this was a very unsafe situation

- Joplin, MO, USA

Jul 222019

Escape

Engine & transmission operating erratically and engine shutting off going down highway. Also check engine light came on.

- Newton, NC, USA

Jun 252019

Escape

Radio made a long banging sound on ovation for about 2 weeks. Then occasionally the radio would make loud crackling and popping. Car would need restarted to reset. Eventually radio stopped working and car would need restarted, mixed in with crackling and popping issues intermittently. Now the radio just won't work no matter if you restart the car or not. The loud banging sound and loud popping can starrtle a driver. The radio not working should be under a recall, but currently is not. Happens moving and stationary. Has happened on city streets and highway, all issues.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jun 192019

Escape

Informational display behind steering started flickering and now does not light up so I cannot see mileage or anything else thats going on with vehicle. I have attached a pic of what my display shld look like, however the middle display in my vehicle is black, nothing will display. The flickering started last month and now my display is completely black/blank

- Covington, GA, USA

Jun 202019

Escape

My Escape all of a sudden completely stopped accelerating in the middle of driving took it to a Ford dealer they said there were no codes the 2013 Ford Escape 2.0 was recalled for the same reason!!! you need to recall the 1.6 Ford Escape ecoboost my car litterly did what the recall said was happening

- Tucson, AZ, USA

May 302019

Escape

While driving in morning rush hour (bumper to bumper) traffic on the highway, my vehicle died. The check engine and battery light came on and it took several attempts for it to start again. I had my battery replaced a month ago and the alternator checked with no issues.

- Cottleville, MO, USA

May 102019

Escape

Having issue with engine harness-almost go into accident twice- my car is not under recall however all other Ford Escapes in 2013 were under recall for engine wiring/harness. I got it fixed at Ford for a cost of $1000. 2 weeks later I was traveling to another state and it happened again, almost got into accident due to this issue! this should be included in the recall that you already made for all the other 2013 Escapes! car was moving then started to buck and slow downm, almost stall-then wouldnt move, all lights came on...

- Algonquin, IL, USA

Apr 132019

Escape

Cars transmission failed with only 33,000 miles on the car! I think there is an electrical problem with the car because the battery and the internal components failed at the same time! both times I was driving the car and moving forward when the car stalled out both times, the second time I had just left Ford with the vehicle and they said it was fixed when it stalled out again in forward motion, this time I had the car towed back to Ford and it's been sitting there since April 13th and today is May 1st and Ford has not responded back to me to resolve the issues with the car" I had the car towed to a transmission place on 4/30/2019 that is only charging me $3,100 for a rebuilt transmission with a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty and Ford wanted $7,400 to put a rebuilt transmission in the car? hmmmmm what would you do? customer service at Ford is sloooooow to say the least? it's bad enough I've got a car with only 33,000 miles on it and with an internal transmission issue and than Ford wants me to wait until when to respond back with a solution"

- Hudson, WI, USA

Apr 082019

Escape

Car stalled several times while going about 10-15 mph and this is about the tenth time this has happened in several days.

- Neptune, NJ, USA

Feb 282019

Escape

The car quit in the middle of traffic (no warning) Ford motor says its in the wiring harness (many recalls on this same problem (replacing the map sensor does not help) this car needs a recall! this is a 2013 with less than 40,000 miles.

- Quimby, IA, USA

Apr 042019

Escape

Car stalls somewhat after starting up. Rpms go towards zero.

- Neptune, NJ, USA

Mar 152019

Escape

Car has continued to stall.= repair was done and splices were replaced in bulliten and test drive. Appears to be like recall on my vehicle but manufactured earlier in 2013. Seeking reimbursement from Ford

- Ridgefield, CT, USA

Mar 272019

Escape

Display cluster does not work. Everything went out. Fuse not blown. Safety issue. Car runs fine.

- Fort Meade, MD, USA

Feb 222019

Escape

Was driving car on paved road and car quit running restarted car and check engine light came

- Quimby, IA, USA

Mar 242019

Escape

My Escape likes to stall going like 10 mph. The vehicle starts to hestistate and wont go anywhere. It stalls and like it shutting off with the oil light and the battery light comes on. I restart the vehicle and it does it again like it dont want to move. It stalls like three to four times and it would run like normal. It's very dangerous cause it stalled right in the middle of a intersection. If there was cars coming which I was lucky I wasn't I would had hit on both sides. This is not normal for a car to do this. No one knows what is wrong with my vehicle and this is a very safety issue. It is to a point where I am scare driving my Escape cause of this issue. The stalling and hesitation issue. I was in motion when this does this. You can having idle and it wont stall only when you put it in drive. The turbo is also losing power when this does this.

- Canton, MI, USA

Mar 162019

Escape

After parking for 20 minutes or less, I begin driving and lose acceleration and my gas pedal won't work. I end up coming to a stop and stalling. This sometimes happens again after I restart my vehicle. My oil light and battery light come on when it comes to a complete stop/stall. This is a huge safety issue. I took it to two mechanics and since there isn't anything to diagnose (no check engine light, fluid levels normal), nothing can be done. Need help please. Honestly frightened for my safety.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Mar 052019

Escape

The information panel on my SUV is starting to get dark or shall I say it goes slightly dark. I cannot see mileage and can barely see that my lights are on. Sometimes there are white lights going up and down on screen

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA