CarComplaints.com Notes: The top problem trend for the 2014 Escape is transmission failure at around 70k miles.

This is relatively low mileage for an expensive transmission failure ($4,500 average to fix), but unless the trend becomes more established, we are only awarding the 2014 Escape our "Beware of the Clunker" badge for now.

8.7

$4,870

2. replaced transmission (11 reports)
  3. replace transmission (2 reports)
2014 Ford Escape transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Escape:

2014 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 102022

Escape SE

What a load of BS! Car started sputtering and eventually stopped accelerating so I rolled to a stop. Managed to get it to shoot forward once more and rolled to a stop in my driveway. Had it looked at - no obvious cause and was running fine when it got to mechanic. Picked it up and on my way home I got a transmission fault warning and pulled over, so I got it towed to shop and it started running fine again. Next day, the mechanic calls and says transmission is toasted and the car is possessed.

- mcl, Alberton, ON, Canada

Nov 042021

Escape ES 1.6L

click to see larger images

I bought this used 2014 Ford Escape as my commuter car, thinking it would be reliable and easy to maintain. I had it for a month and it started throwing a code for a valve in the radiator. I had made an appointment to get it in and then it went into limp mode one day while picking up my kiddo, saying that the transmission needed servicing. I was on the interstate and was almost in a horrible accident.

Took it in to Ken Garff Ford and they "couldn't find anything wrong with it." A week later it was throwing the same code for the radiator valve. At 80,000 miles, there is just no way that a transmission should be going out on these cars. Ford is well aware of their issues and just keeps putting out these cars with these issues. Someone is going to have to have a major accident and sue them for anything to happen.

- Cary C., Windsor, US

Dec 012019

Escape Titanium 2.5L

I have a 2014 Ford Escape Titanium. I was driving on the interstate where the speed limit is 70 mph. I had my cruise control set at 78 mph, but was caught behind a couple of slower moving vehicles. Three times my car shifted hard/lurched forward when it hit 74 mph. The car then showed a message that said "transmission fault, service soon". I pulled off of the interstate onto the shoulder of an exit. I got out and nothing seemed wrong, no leaks or anything. I pulled onto a two lane highway with a 55mph speed limit. I drove two miles and turned around, I drove around 53 miles. I then accelerated harder driving back towards the interstate, I got up to 65 mph then slowed down to about 50mph. I then accelerated to 54mph, where it, again, shifted hard/lurched.

After this, I attempted to accelerate bu pushing down the gas pedal. I actually pushed the gas pedal all of the way to the floor and nothing happened. I had to park my car in a nearby driveway and wait for my brother to come and pick me up. My parents are having to tow my car back to our house, which is about two hours from where the car is parked, and I have to drive my mother's car while she will have to drive a rental. This is annoying because I am a college student that also works a job over two hours from my families home and it will be over two weeks until I am able to even go back to my families home.

- candrew, Conway, US

Aug 252019

Escape SE 1.6L

I had never bought a new vehicle prior to this 2014 Escape, and I was shocked that around the 5.5 year mark, the transmission blew. I was also driving home at the end of a long, remote hike so that was less than convenient. They should extend the powertrain warranty if they really stand behind their brand. I got the transmission fixed and then sold it to get this vehicle out of my life, even though at that point I was in it for some big dollars. I'm not buying Ford again, one mistake was too many for me.

- Mike M., Courtenay, BC, Canada

Jan 242020

Escape Titanium 2.0L

Driving on the highway and transmission fault came on. Car went into limp mode. It was very scary and dangerous. Pulled slowly off the highway, then I called AAA and they came to tow the car to my local mechanic. Ended up costing 5700 for a new transmission. This car is well maintained - this should have never happened.

Why isn't this a recall? After reading all the reports of this happening, I would never want there to be a child in my car while this happened. I'm really nervous to drive it now.

- Cynthia L., Plainville, US

Jul 262021

Escape SE 12.4

• CVT transmission

For the CVT to go out with 60,000 MILES IS CRAZY.....

- Anna C., Los Angeles, US

Apr 102021

Escape

click to see larger images

Received Fault message and warning on highway. See photo

I pulled off at the next exit and found auto parts store to plug in OBD2 reader and got error code P0741 which translates to torque converter clutch solenoid circuit performance or Stuck off.

Took car to dealer who read more codes than first sensor showed. Additional code thrown regarding trans fluid too hot, which is what Tech service bulletin suggests. FORD dealer only wants to throw trans away and install new one at a huge expense.

This is a 6 year old car with 67,00 miles on it and repair bill is nearly 1/4 of total cost of vehicle. Called FO MO CO customer service to ask for consideration under these circumstances. All I got was an "I'm sorry".

Terrible product support!!

- sagelake54, Manistee, US

Sep 152018

Escape SE 1.6L

We were driving into Fredericton (34kms) and while on the bridge the Transmission Fault came on and instructed us to go directly to Ford. We did so. The transmission needed to be replaced. We were given a rental car as our insurance covered it. That was the first issue. Then the coolant issue. We had had enough so we traded this in. We like the Ford Escape.

We went searching for another vehicle but they are expensive. If we returned our vehicle we would have lost the 14000 we put up front for the SUV. We are both retired. I am a nurse who was injured and my husband was injured while serving our country. This was definitely something we had a hard time going through.

We were reluctant and didn't feel safe driving back and forth to Halifax for doctor appointments this summer, but were reassured we wouldn't have anymore issues!!

- Michelle R., Burton, NB, Canada

Jan 092020

Escape SE V4

We purchased this 2014 Ford Escape in 2016 with 28,000 miles used. We also got the 3 year warranty 36 months in December 2016. Unfortunately we didn't get the extended Warranty and 9 days after it expired our transmission "WENT". The car only had 57,000 miles on the car and this is a disgrace?

Of course there's nothing "FORD" can due because the Warranty has expired. My mechanic when taking the transmission apart said there was medal shavings in the rings all over and this is a bad design. My family will never purchase a Ford "EVER AGAIN"

- Robert M., Prospect Park, US

Feb 212019

Escape LX V6

I took the car to three mechanics. They all said to take it to Ford, it should be covered. The mechanic at Ford said the 'fault' is going from park to 1st gear. He would have to take it apart to fix/replace it. Estimated cost is $4700. He said if it was him, he would just drive it till it dies. The problem is, it won't pass inspection in NJ because the engine light is on. So I can't even drive it! I called Ford and they said there's nothing they can do for me. I don't have $4700 to put into a used car! I'll never buy another Ford!

- Dianne M., Ventnor City, US

Feb 172020

Escape Titanium 1.6L

We bought this car as a used one with 57000 mileage in 2018. Last month I had check engine light on. So I took it to Ford dealer and for $140 he said it is torque converter problem. To fix that it will cost $6000 with overhaul.since I don't have warranty I took to the transmission shop near my home.he checked and said it is the metal from half casing is shaved due to vibration which got into the transmission fluid which in turn damaged the torque converter.to fix this, labour $2000 plus parts $2700 so the total is $5000 with tax. I was disappointed. This is first time we are buying Ford. We are Honda people. I made a biggest mistake of buying Ford and now suffering the consequences.

- msm6970, Westmont, US

Feb 282020

Escape

A full transmission failure at 81000 km. Dealer quoted me $10,000 to fix. I am currently looking for a cheaper option.

- Jeff C., Squamish, BC, Canada

Oct 232019

Escape SE 1.6L

I am super frustrated with a transmission that has to be overhauled for $3500 or replaced for $5100. The car is just over 5 years old, has just under 90,000 miles on it and the transmission should not need to be replaced at this point.

- Kati R., Newport News, US

May 302019

Escape SE 1.6L

Several 2014 Ford Escapes are having issues with their transmissions. Ford is doing absolutely nothing to help these customers. Ford should either have a recall on their transmissions or have to pay for the cost of a new transmission. The parts alone to fix mine are $4700. With labor, my total estimate was $6222.94. That is ridiculous! If Ford wants to keep their customers, they better find a solution to this quickly.

- ashleyp987, Makinen, US

Dec 142018

Escape SE 1.6L

The torque converter failed, which caused the transmission to fail. At 29,748 miles, I took the Escape to the dealer and stated that I thought that the torque converter was occasionally slipping, causing the vehicle to buck when shifting into gear. The diagnosis was deemed "normal".

- Bruce K., Mount Pleasant, SC, US

Jan 152019

Escape SE 1.6L

I got this car thinking it would be dependable. Instead the transmission goes out on the interstate!! Now it's stuck in a parking lot two hours north of where I live. This car WAS NOT WORTH MY MONEY. Not only do I have to get it towed home, but NOW I got to pay out more to get it fixed and I still owe on this piece of sh*t. Thanks Ford....

- Sandy M., Aberdeen, WA, Botswana

Sep 152018

Escape ES 1.6L

My daughter was driving down the road and all of a sudden she heard this weird noise. Then her car began to speed up on it's on and then it reduced its speed again. Then, while she was in the drive thru, her car act like it didn't want to go anymore so she pulled to the side parking lot and turned it off for a while and went back on the road. After that she was heading home and it started to make the noise again and pick up its speed so she pulled over and when she got in the parking lot and tried to back it up but it didn't move. That's when the light came on to initiate that there was a transmission default.

I brought this car for my daughter almost three years ago. This is her last year in high school and now I have to use some of her college money to get it fix. PLEASE, IF ANYONE READS THIS, DON'T BUY THIS CAR. What makes it so bad is that my daughter loved this car. This car only has a little over 77,000 miles and now we probably have to rebuild the transmission. I probably will get rid of this car and get her something dependable and more reliable for college.

- Randy B., Orangeburg, US

Aug 282018

Escape 1.6L

Bought this vehicle 2 years ago, no issues. Then Tuesday, I'm driving home and the car loses pressure, it just stops. I barely got it home. Had AAA tow it to dealer and lo and behold, it's the transmission. Yes, my light came on Transmission Fault Service Warning. Ford really needs to recall this, ugh.

Update from Sep 8, 2018: Took my car to Hennessy Ford in Atlanta, they want to charge $6,277.55 to repair. That's outrageous. It's a Ford not a Mercedes, BMW, or Maybach, really Ford. This needs to be recalled!

- Paschal P., Peachtree Corners, US

Jul 052018

Escape LX 1.6L

Vehicle was driving perfectly fine until, 3 miles into my trip. The vehicle lost all acceleration. Shifted into neutral and the engine responded perfectly. Shifted back into drive, and NOTHING. After about 2 minutes, and several loud CLUNKS (Felt like the car being shifted into park while going 1-2mph) the TRANSMISSION FAULT light came on. Very fortunate to still be within power train warranty period (5 year/60,000 miles) (Mileage at time of fault was 59,870) Dealer said it would be 6 days until they could even look at the vehicle because their transmission specialist had 3 other jobs in front of mine. Called 2 other Ford dealers and received similar time estimates to look at the vehicle.

Update from Jul 24, 2018: It's been 2 1/2 weeks since the Ford dealer diagnosed the issue as "half shaft bearing failure", and "metal debris in the transmission pump". They provided me with a rental car, as well as assurance that the problem will be covered under the vehicle's power train warranty, so I'm not complaining too much. Here's hoping that repairs are completed soon, and that everything works fine once the repair is complete. I'm mildly optimistic.

- Eric R., Manassas, US

Apr 132018

Escape Titanium 1.6L V6

Car was occasionally jerking, making a clunking sound when shifting up/down. Then, the "Transmission Fault." warning came on. Took it to Golden Ford Lincoln in Camden Arkansas. Their diagnostics showed "torque converter input shaft return was restricted and burnt up transmission." Cost us $4962.62 to replace the transmission, ridiculous! I plan to write to write to Ford Corporate about this. Don't know that it will help but, it can't hurt either.

Having a total transmission failure with only 71250 miles on a modern car is terrible. I had a 1948 Chevy with close to 300,000 miles and a 1948 Desoto with 218,000 miles; both of them had the original transmission.

- Cliff C., Rosston, US