- October 26: Ford Bronco Sport Moonroofs May Fly Away recalls | 2 days ago
- October 22: Ford Ranger SuperCabs Recalled For Seat Belt Issues recalls | 6 days ago
- October 8: Ford Recalls Ranger SuperCabs With Fixed Headrests recalls | 20 days ago
- October 7: Ford Bronco Recall Issued Over Airbag Failures recalls | 21 days ago
- October 2: Ford Fusion Transmission Problems Lead to Lawsuit news | 26 days ago
2003 Ford Explorer
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
2003 Ford Explorer Steering Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- Loose Steering, Wanders, Hard To Keep On Road2
- Power Steering Rack Leaking2
- Rack And Pinion Failure2
- NHTSA: Steering17
- NHTSA: Steering: Column3
- NHTSA: Steering: Rack And Pinion3
- NHTSA: Steering: Steering Wheel/Handle Bar2
- NHTSA: Steering: Hydraulic Power Assist: Hose, Piping, And ...1
- NHTSA: Steering: Linkages: Tie Rod Assembly1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2003 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.