2014 Ford Explorer steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Explorer:

2014 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Jul 282016

Explorer Limited 3.6L V6

This is the MAJOR problem that just began happening, though I can report that the vehicle has had a mild "pulling" problem (to the left, ever since we leased it) a bit over two years ago. I reported the trouble to the service shop when we had it in for one of our service visits, and it seemed "corrected" for the most part, as it was only intermittently occurring after that. I assumed road conditions may have been the cause, even though there were no extraordinary changes or differences in the terrain where we live and operate most frequently. The GRINDING and/or GROWLING noise started only a week ago at low to moderate speeds, but seems to clear up with higher engine rpm(s). There is an amount of hesitation, or grabbing when correcting road position intermittently, as well. Sometimes it feels like heavy resistance, and other times it over-responds to minor corrections (unstable), even at 40 mph+. After reading some of the other related complaints, I am VERY WORRIED about the prospects of this becoming a much worse issue than it is currently. I am calling the dealership later today. This also followed the behavior of the gear shift being reported "NOT in PARK" after stopping, and having the shift lever securely seated in PARK position. I have not yet noticed light failures, and absolutely NO reports of failure have shown up on the Sync info screen yet. Very CONCERNED!

- Steven M., Wichita, KS, USA