6.0

2. the dealer is replacing the driveshaft (1 reports)
2018 Ford F-150 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Ford F-150:

2018 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Jan 062021

F-150 XLT 2.7L

When I bought the truck I crawled under it to check the driveshaft. I could push it up and down, and side to side which is a sign the support bearing was going out. I notified the sales rep and was told that sense it was a certified pre-owned it is covered and will be replaced. I also bought the extended bumper to bumper warranty but I have to own the truck for 30 days before it takes effect...

I could see the rubber around it is cracking and coming apart. I took it in to service to get it replaced. The tech said there is definitely play in the driveshaft but I was told that the bearing was not within Ford tolerances to be replaced so the warranty would not cover it. The part is on backorder so you're looking at a month out to get it and then to schedule a time to take it in to get it done. My knowledge of these carrier bearings is that when you get play like this it leads to a chain of problems into your transmission, leaks, hard shifting etc....

Why not replace it before it causes more problems? You can feel the vibration from the driveshaft on take off when you barely touch the peddle, when you push the peddle down and you get the hard shifting almost like a jerking motion when it shifts. I also have found out you can not just replace the carrier bearing, you have to replace the driveshaft. So a $60 dollar part just went up to $450 without labor. I have changed 1 on my 2003 F250, 1 on my 2003 F350 and 1 on my 2006 F250. They are not that difficult to change out and even this one wouldn't be, its the pocket book that hurts on this one...

Basically I have to wait for it to do more damage before I will be allowed to get it replaced under warranty. Do I drive it like I stole it so they can replace the transmission too?

All in all I love this truck but whom ever came up with the driveshaft where you can't replace the bearing, they need to go back to the drawing board....

Update from Mar 10, 2021: After having the vehicle 30 days after purchase I took the truck back into service and they felt the vibration this time. They hooked it up to the computer and found that the driveshaft needs to be replaced. All I can say is where is the tradesmen that made this great country gone? Vehicles are computers but even a mechanical problem can't be fixed unless a computer tells the tech to do so... I don't understand...

- lilstew1982, Corpus Christi, US

Mar 032020

F-150 XLT 5.0L

Transmission problems harsh shifts and lunges forward when coming to a stop

- Ken W., Taylor, MI, US

Nov 132019

F-150 LTX 2.7L V6 Twin Turbo

Truck once shifted so hard that I had to check to make sure someone didn't sneak a heavy weight .. like a bowling ball or something.. into the bed. Very loud bang. I've already taken the truck in to have this repaired - last time they reprogrammed the ecm.. I need to take it back down because that did not solve the issue at all.

- Ben P., Lakeland, FL, US

Mar 182019

F-150 King Ranch 5.0L V8

WHEN IN 1ST GEAR AND FIRST PULLING OUT, IT WINDS UP TO AROUND 3500 RPM AND SHIFTS REALLY HARD. IT JERKS YOU LIKE SOMEONE KICKED YOU IN THE BACK. LUNGES FORWARD LIKE YOU DROPPED THE CLUTCH IN A MANUAL TRANSMISSION

IN ANY MODE YOU SELECT I'M USUALLY IN ECO MODE. NO CODES NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, NOTHING. FLUID LEVEL IS NORMAL...ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS PROBLEM?

- 2018kingranch5.0, Winchester, US

Nov 012018

F-150 XLT Special Edition 2.7L V6

Brand new truck has had shifting issues since I bought it. Took it in to the dealer and the service manager drove around with me for 20 minutes. He said there's no resolution because that is the way those 10 speeds shift.

- cr0727, Tallmadge, US

Aug 162018

F-150 STX 5.0L

LOVE MY F 150 BUT HATE AUTO START -STOP. HATE IT!!! AT 100 MILES NOTICED TRANSMISSION HARD SHIFTING SPECIALLY IN REVERSE. GOT WORSE IN COLD DRIVING. GRINDS WHILE SHIFTING, SKIPS 2ND GEAR AND WHEN GOING ON FREEWAY OR ANY STRAIGHT ROAD TRANNY DISENGAGES, AT TAKE OFF IS WEAK. 10 SPEED TRANNY IS A FREAKING STUPID MISTAKE BY FORD. TOOK TRUCK TWICE TO DEALER FOR PROBLEM AND MAINTENANCE. THEY CLAIM NOTHING WRONG. WITH IN LESS THAN A YEAR OF OWNING TRUCK I'M CONSIDERING TRADING IT IN AND WOULD NEVER GOING BACK TO FORD! VERY UN-PLEASED!

- Marcos C., Fortworth, US

Aug 192018

F-150 LX 5.0L

The new ford/gmc 10 speed transmission has what I think is a major flaw is that when it shifts from 3rd thru 7th gear, you hear a clunk sound. Reminds you of a universal joint going out.

Ford and ford dealers say this is a normal sound. I never thought of metal slamming against metal as a normal sound. The transmission

shifts just fine other than the clunk sound. For a better understanding of the issue and how spread the problem is, go to the ford forum, fordf150.net and type in 10 speed transmissions.

- Bruce F., Mount Carmel, Illinois, US

Oct 182017

F-150 XLT 3.5L Ecoboost

5 months and have the first recall on the 3.5l w/ 10 speed transmission. WTF - a recall already?

- Randoplh G., Melbourne, US

Mar 282018

F-150 2.5L V6

I just bought my Ford 2 days ago and I drove it to work today. I was passing a vehicle at 50 to 55 miles an hour and it shifted 3 times on me quick and hard. Traveled another 800 yards or so and it did the same thing. After another quarter of a mile, it shifted hard again trying to get up to speed and arriving at my work place finally. Something is definitely wrong with the transmission. A brand new truck and it already has transmission problems.

- Joseph W., Nanticoke, US