2019 Ford F-150 engine problems: excessive oil consumption

Excessive Oil Consumption

2019 Ford F-150

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

6.8

2019 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2019 Ford F-150:

2019 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Jan 012020

F-150 STX 5.0L

Purchased the F150 5.0 STX 4x4 at the end of December 2019. At 5K miles contacted dealer though app to schedule oil change. Did not receive call to set appointment. Decided to change the oil myself, checked the dip stick, the oil barley showed on the stick. I have had several new vehicles over the years and thought that some how the oil was not filled up. No visible leaks on concrete garage floor or on vehicle engine.

.Changed oil, oil filter and air filter. Also the 10 speed transmission made a lot of noise. I had heard from other people that the Ford transmission did make a lot of noise.

Checked the oil level at approximately 8,600 miles, it was approximately a quart low. Also the transmission made noises and once it whined like it was not picking up fluid.

i. Took it to the dealer and told them about the oil consumption and the transmission.. They "reprogramed the engine and transmission computer, changed the dip stick and low oil sensor. (it had not gone off when it barley showed on the dip stick).

Spoke to the mechanic, after runaround with the service rep who writes the order up. He stated that Ford was having problems with the computer programs for the vehicle. They also topped the oil off to the top of the new dip stick. (I'm not a mechanic but I don't know how a computer program can make the vehicle use extensive amounts of oil)

After approximately 3,100 miles I checked the oil and found it to be low. Took it back to the dealer, they stated that it was about 1/4 the way down the dip stick and that was normal. Also provided two printout from Ford stating that the oil consumption and transmission noises were normal and should stop at 16,000 miles.They notified Ford and wanted me to bring it in at the normal oil change interval.

I checked the oil today and found it was 1/2 down the dip stick so it had used a quart of oil. The currant mileage is 12,778, the next scheduled oil change is 13,500 miles. The transmission still makes noises, but it has started to hesitate when going from first to second when cold. Also the engine is now running rough and misfiring when cold. It appears that the oil consumption increases when puling a load.

The printout provided by ford stated that the oil consumption should stop by 16,000 miles.

I picked the 5.0 because it was a proven engine. I have since found out that Ford made some changes to the engine for 2019.

Any comments or similar complaints?

- Mike M., FLORESVILLE, TX, US

Apr 202020

F-150 XLT 5.0L V8

Thought the 5.0 V8 would be the most reliable engine for the F150. After the purchase, I heard about the oil consumption issue for some 5.0 engines. It vaguely reminded me of what my sales rep mentioned on the way out the door, "Don't forget to check your oil." So I went out to check it not expecting anything significant. The truck has 1900 mi. The oil was about .5 quart below the low mark on the dipstick. Made an appt with the service center the next day. They performed TSB 19-2365 which is an oil change, software update, and ... a longer dipstick. Can't say I have a lot of confidence in this "fix". Maybe I'm being pessimistic, maybe it will work...

- Stephen L., Chula Vista, CA, US

Feb 292020

F-150 XLT 4x4 5.0L V8

I bought this truck in December of 2019. The last weekend of Feb 2020 the check engine light came on. I checked to see what code it was throwing and it had to do with the camshaft position sensor. I took it to the Ford dealership and they said the engine had excessive oil consumption. After reading other complaints for the same thing, I now will have to regularly (every other time I fill up!?!?) check my oil so I don't lock up my engine. This is extremely frustrating after owning the truck for basically 3 months.

- Taylor T., Lawrenceville, GA, US

Jul 032019

F-150 Lauret 5.0L

I purchasd a new 2019 Ford F-150 Lariat in late March 2019. I specifically bought the 5.0 V8 since it had been in service for so many years. I was unaware that Ford had managed to mess up a great engine. Buyer beware seems to apply.

At least monthly I check the oil level when I refuel. Since the oil was new, it was difficult to see it on the dipstick, but it appeared to be fine. On July 3rd, I checked the oil and it was low. So I took it to a local dealership. They checked it and there was no oil on the dipstick. I suppose what I was seeing was the oil the was dragged off the dipstick tube when I put it back into the engine. Anyway, they changed the oil and filter and told me they started an "oil consumption test". I'd never heard of that, so the rep explained that Ford was notified and the test would be ongoing for a period of time.

Now I'm checking oil about every other time I buy gas. On August 15th, the oil was more than a quart low. I had driven less than 3,000 miles since it had been refilled. So I went back to the local dealership. This time they said Ford didn't want me to bring the truck back until it had 10,000 miles on it. They're talking about potentially doing a long block replacement. Never heard of that either. Besides, if the new engine is the same as the replaced engine, what's the gain?

So I bought a new truck, that's supposedly "Built For Tough" and we're talking about engine replacement within the first four months. That makes no sense to me. Seems like they're talking about engines that are in the beta mode of operation.

I've read all the posts about Ford using the Plasma Transferred Wired Arc (PTWA) to improve their engines; however, it appears that the process has backfired. Ford has done a masterful job of concealing the engine defect and I hope they have a solution that's long lasting and mutually agreeable to the customer. Only time will tell. It really appears to be false advertising at minimum, bordering on outright fraud. They're unable to deliver the advertised product. What a disappointment.

Most surprising of all is that the dealership acts like this is totally new to them. I'm wondering how they could be in the dark with a problem as prevalent as this one.

Update from Nov 4, 2019: Ford Dealership is still adding oil to my truck about every 2,600 miles. I have 13,000 now and they really don't know what Ford will finally decide to do. I'm willing to keep driving it in hopes that it'll heal itself because I've seen the pictures of an engine replacement and it resembles a heart/lung transplant. Lots of hoses and connectors laying everywhere. The latest from Ford is that they don't want the dealership to start an oil consumption test on 2019 trucks until it has at least 10,000 miles on it. Still no TSB for the 2019 model. I guess they're hoping the supply chain cleared out all the defective engines.
What a mess. I have to admit, Ford is doing a great job of keeping this from public knowledge.

- JC L., Pell City , AL, US

Jul 062019

F-150 XLT 5.0L

2019 f150 owned since mid March with 4200 miles has consumed 2 quarts of oil. The need to add 2 quarts of oil in a brand new vehicle is absurd. Scheduled appointment with ford dealer hopefully the problem will be resolved to my complete satisfaction

- fordfever, Ishpeming, US