ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2008 Ford F-350 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford F-350:

2008 Ford F-350 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 202017

F-350

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F-350. While driving 65 mph and attempted to exit the highway, the steering wheel seized and the brake pedal was depressed, but the brakes failed to engage. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The dealer was not called for diagnostic testing or repairs. The contact stated that the failure recurred. The contact called the manufacturer, but there was no response. The failure mileage was approximately 104,000.

- New Bedford, MA, USA

Jan 112018

F-350

The contact owned a 2008 Ford F-350. While driving 25 mph, the steering ability failed on the vehicle. The contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed into the wall of a bridge. The crash occurred on January 11, 2018. A police report was filed. The contact was injured and required medical attention. There were no warnings indicators illuminated before the failure. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic. The vehicle was destroyed and towed. The contact received an unknown recall notice from Ford Motor Company a week after the crash. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 125,000.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Feb 082018

F-350

The truck shakes a lot when going over bumps on the road, around 60 mph.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Feb 032018

F-350

After hitting a bump in the road, the truck will shake violently and attempt to get out of control. The only way to correct this is bring the vehicle speed down to under 20 mph. This problem began occurring sporadically about one year ago and has gotten consistently worse. It is so sever that I have decided to park the vehicle out of a concern for safety. I had the vehicle inspected at the local Ford dealership approximately 3-4 months ago and they said everything was fine. Today, I received in the mail a notice marked "special field action 09L02" that says the problem is due to tire inflation. I have the proper size tires and I keep them properly inflated. After researching this, I have noticed that this problem dates back to 2005 and Ford has sent this same notice out many times. It is not a tire problem. I believe it is a known suspension problem and it is dangerous. This needs to be a mandatory recall and it needs to be paid for by Ford. I called their service line today and was told my vehicle wasn't part of any notice or recall. The paper I got today says "this notice applies to your vehicle" and goes on to give my VIN #. it is a big problem and now it has a big cover-up to go with it.

- Northport, AL, USA

Jan 172018

F-350

The power steering pump started making a noise. The reservoir was empty. I filled it up about 100 miles later. Steering wheel started having a lot of play in it before turning the wheels. On the way to the dealer to have it checked out, lost all power steering. I had to call a rollback to carry it to dealer. This is a 2008 F350 with approximately 38,000 miles on it. Dealer informed me it will cost me $1500 to replace the gear box plus $75 towing. I feel like this is a factory defect and Ford Motor Co. Should pay for all repairs. I need advice and help to resolve this complaint.

- Clover, SC, USA

Feb 272017

F-350

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F-350. While driving 25 mph, the contact heard an abnormal sound and the steering wheel fractured without warning. The contact was able to coast into a parking lot, where the vehicle was parked. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 215,000.

- Maceo, KY, USA

Dec 262016

F-350

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F-350. While driving approximately 55 mph, the steering wheel and braking ability seized and became difficult to maneuver without warning. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 118,000.

- Snow Shoe, PA, USA

Jul 232016

F-350

My wife drove the truck to work. She said it was acting weird. It had slack going to the right. It was hard to turn to the left. When she got home it was worse. I opened the hood to check it for fluid.the fluid was good. I got inside to check out the steering. It had a lot of slack both directions. After a few turns the horn went off and I had to disconnect the battery in order to get it to go off. I then tried to turn the steering again. I could hear some grinding from the gear box. I disconnected the horn and reconnected the battery. I started the truck and attempted to turn the steering wheel again. This time fluid started to spray all over. I couldn't locate the source. I believe that there is a problem in the gear box. I don't know why the horn went off. It is not able to be driven. It is in my driveway parked. All I know is that if it had gone out when my wife was on the highway only god knows what would have happened. She takes our three children to day care. This is the only vehicle that is big enough to carry the entire family. The truck has only 91000 miles. I looked it up and there has been other complaints with this year and model. We don't know how much this is going to cost. My view is that it is a defect in the truck that was known and we were not notified of any posslble problems. It is Saturday night and we cant call Ford garage till Monday. We will call and ask them what we can do.

- Huntley, MT, USA

Feb 192016

F-350

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F-350. While driving 60 mph, the steering wheel became exceptionally loose and the contact lost control of the vehicle. The contact was able to pull to the side of the road and restarted the vehicle, but the failure recurred constantly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in the unknown recall. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Waco, TX, USA

Nov 102015

F-350

I have been having issues with this vehicle in the steering. It will pull to the left or right at any given time going down the road. We are a full service shop and own this vehicle. We have checked everything and contacted Ford. They recommended changing the steering shaft that goes to the steering gear box. We did, but it still does it. Not sure what to do next. We are in the process of changing the steering gear as we have no other options.

- Horseheads, NY, USA

Nov 302015

F-350

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F-350. The contact stated that while reversing from a parking space, the steering wheel started to turn in a circular motion without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the gears in the steering box failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 98,000.

- Jeffersonville, IN, USA

Mar 152015

F-350

The contact owns a 2010 (na) Ford F-350. While driving approximately 25 mph, the steering wheel was difficult to maneuver. The vehicle would pull to the left and right without warning. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 33,000.

- Chagrin Falls, OH, USA

Jun 082015

F-350

I was making a left hand turn when the steering started to wobble, shimming. I was traveling at approx. 45 mph and had to slow to 20 before it stopped. This pick up has had small shimming before but nothing this bad. I just replaced the shocks and had it aligned. It seems to be even worse and yes I have the tire pressure at the recommended 80 psi. It is dangereous. Ford sent a letter April 2009 09L02. They pretty much said the NHTSA was looking into it and live with it. Please help!

- Pahrump, NV, USA

May 292015

F-350

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F-350. While driving approximately 45 mph, the power steering failed. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who provided an unknown diagnostic for the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 79,000. The VIN was not available.

- Oak Bluffs , MA, USA

May 222015

F-350

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F-350. While driving approximately 60 mph, the steering and braking ability seized without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed by the dealer or an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 129,000.

- Wagoner, OK, USA

Nov 272014

F-350

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F-350. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the steering wheel seized abd as a result, excessive force was required in order to maneuver the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 83,000.

- Wickenburg, AZ, USA

Jun 122013

F-350

Pulled onto highway, (us-36) accelerated to 45 mph. Truck started wandering, unable to steer straight. Returned home and parked truck. Took to dealer a week later. Unable to find problem. A couple of months later truck did same thing. Returned to dealer, they flushed power steering pump. Worked ok for 2-3 months. Then same thing happened 3rd time. Returned truck to dealer, they changed power steering pump. Has been ok for 6 months. Now unable to drive over 40 mph afraid of losing control of truck. In private shop for repairs now. Aftermarket steering box back ordered. Unknown when available.

- Byers, CO, USA

Sep 222014

F-350 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving on interstate 75 when the truck and steering wheel started vibrating violently, as I applied the brakes to slow the vehicle it pulled sharp to the left taking the vehicle onto the median. Once the vehicle stopped, facing in the opposite direction I got out and checked the left front wheel, it was too hot to touch. I let it cool and then proceeded to the nearest exit. I had the left front wheel inspected, but no problem was discovered. I continued on my trip from Tennessee to Florida. On the return trip the problem happened three times, each time I stopped and let the wheel cool before continuing. I researched this problem on the internet and found that several other individuals have experienced the same problem. I believe the ntsb should require Ford Motor Company to recall these vehicles and correct the problem before someone is injured or killed. There is sufficient documentation on the internet to justify the ntsb taking action.

- Jamestown, TN, USA

Jul 252014

F-350 8-cyl Diesel

Steering became very stiff, the front wheels then moved from left to right on their own. I pulled over, turned the steering wheel lock to lock and drove away. The problem has recurred daily since.

- Brighton, MI, USA

May 072013

F-350

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F-350. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the power steering failed causing the vehicle to veer erratically. The vehicle was taken to the dealer multiple times. The technician was unable to determine the failure in any of the occasions. The technician advised that the low tire pressure sensor, tires and the steering stabilizer failed, all which may have been seemingly related to the failure. The vehicle was repaired but the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 95,000 and the current mileage was 102,000.

- Maquoketa, IA, USA