2012 Ford F-350 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-350:

2012 Ford F-350 Owner Comments

Apr 262021

F-350

I was 300 miles from home for work for a week. On day 1, while driving on a residential street, I suddenly got a message on the dash that stated "stop safely now". seconds later, as I was pulling over by the curb, the truck shut itself down and would not start back up. I had to rent a vehicle (being away from home). On day 3, I tried again and it started. I drove it a block away to the place I was staying. Entering the parking lot, I got the message and it shut down again just as fast. At this point I had to arrange Transport of my truck back home. $650 and 3 days later, I finally got it home. Started it, ran for a few minutes parked so tried to drive it. Made it about 1000 feet when it shut down again and left me stranded on the highway. Each time it shut itself down, I had to wait a minimum of 1 hour before it would restart. After researching, it seems that my egt13 sensor has gone bad and has to be replaced. Had it shut down while I was on the interstate, the results of this could have been a whole lot worse than the expense of a rental and Transport. My research brought to light that this seems to be an ongoing problem with Ford that needs to be addressed and

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Feb 212021

F-350

We have been maintaining our vehicle and had no warning lights at the time our truck died. At the time of the incident it had oil and water. We were driving on the Florida turnpike at full speed when suddenly, the truck started shuddering, and then it completely lost power. A cloud of blue-white smoke came out of the back of our truck. We were lucky to be able to get off of the turnpike to a safe place. We could have been killed. The mechanic has determined that the engine is locked up and can't be fixed. Our truck only has 134,000 miles - it should not have blown up like this.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Aug 122020

F-350

Rust in fuel tank. Whole fuel system shut down with engine over heat. No leaks whatsoever. Just shut down on highway. Shame on Ford!!!

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Jun 302020

F-350

While driving my vehicle to get on to the freeway, the engine started revving and rattling I could smell something burning. When I tried to press on the brakes it wasn't working than the steering locked. I hit my emergency breaks put on my hazard light and turned off the car until a police officer arrived. I purchased the vehicle on 2/28/2020 and when I returned to pick up the truck the next day they could not produce the keys, this took about 2 weeks. On 04/06/2020 approx. 2 weeks after picking up the truck the it wouldn't start, I jumped the truck at which time there was a rattling and knocking sound in the engine, I took it back to the dealership for servicing. I got the truck back again a little over 2 weeks later on 04/23/2020. I feel the truck is so unsafe that it will cause me to get into an accident placing my life that of my family or another driver in a separate vehicle at stake. Upon reviewing all of the documents none of the documents have the same odometer reading and the number is approx. 24000 off.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Oct 152019

F-350

The driver side exhaust manifold broke into two pieces. I was driving down the road and it just started making a loud exhaust leak.

- Dely, UT, USA

Apr 172019

F-350

Def system/engine cleaning issue. Message continuously shows on dash "drive to clean engine" regardless of driving highway speeds for 30+ min at a time.

- New Bern, NC, USA

Mar 252019

F-350

Egt sensor faulty. Upon ignition, reads temperature above baseline, causing check engine light to remain on.

- New Bern, NC, USA

Sep 202018

F-350

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-350. While driving at unknown speeds, the vehicle went into power mode and lost power. In addition, the check engine indicator illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the local dealer (walts live oak Ford, 1109 Ohio ave N, live oak, fl 32064, (386) 362-1112) where it was diagnosed that the exhaust sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was called, but failed to respond. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Live Oak, FL, USA

May 112018

F-350

The "cold air tube/hose" for the turbo catastrophically ruptured and blew pieces and oil across the top of the engine. Maik haik Ford in pasadena Texas said they see this failure occur about 2 times per month for my make, model, and year vehicle. My truck is only 6 years old. The delaership had 11 replacement hoses in stock. Ford appears to have since redesigned the part, but has not issued a recall or tsb to warn customers of this defective/poorrly designed tube. When I tried to file a claim with Ford the corporate warranty rep literally laughed after I told him that I was glad my head not under the hood at the time of failure. This was not an appropriate or professional response. Ford did not cover any of the material or labor. At the time of failure I was travelling about 30 mph on a freeway. At first I thought I blew a tire due to the very loud noise. Then the engine lost considerable power in the middle of heavy traffic on a freeway. The hose is located on the top of the engine near the fan shroud. Please investigate the extent of this problem and have Ford issue a recall and/or tsb for this part. Especially since the part appears to have been redesigned. Why did Ford redseign this part? the failure was instantaneous with no fore warnings of an impending failure.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 012017

F-350

Exhaust gas temperature sensors fail repeatedly. They have been replaced multiple times. Reductant heater a control performance has now failed as well (all part of the diesel emissions disaster). Aside from constant breakdowns due to emission related items the truck has shutoff abruptly when it encounters any of these problems while driving. Vehicle has shut itself down at highway speeds due to these issues. Vehicle said pull over and within 10 seconds it shut down on the freeway endangering the lives of my family and others on the road. As far as when this has happened it has been multiple times. It has been in the shop on 3 different occasions to replace the same sensors and now other components of the diesel emissions package are failing as well.

- Bailey, CO, USA

Feb 252017

F-350

Egr cooler failure due to clogging, happens at regular intervals of about 20-30,000 miles. Dealers/Ford's answer to problem is to 'drive truck like its stolen' this is not an answer. This is a defective in the design of the egr cooler which allows clogging of the system, backpressure and turbo damage. A quick search of the internet show thousands of Ford 6.7 diesel owners with same problem. Without correction from Ford this will cause owners to 'eliminate or bypass' the egr cooler system, resulting in higher emissions. Someone needs to look into this. It is not correct for a auto manufacturer to dictate how someone should drive a vehicle or to design a faulty component. I am now on my 3rd egr cooler, the last one was not covered under Ford warranty.

- Wrentham, MA, USA

Feb 242015

F-350

Driving along cold windy winter day, I got a message on the dash "stop safely now". motor immediately went into limp mode, complete loss of engine power to the point where I had all I could do to get out of traffic. As soon as truck came to a slow creep, motor shut off. Truck had power however engine would not turn over, basically the truck left me stranded roadside. Called Ford roadside assistance, they said it would take up to an hour to get a tow (unacceptable). I was left inside the truck with no heat. Ended up calling a friend to tow me to a better location. This is a horrible design flaw shutting the motor down like that. Driver should be able to keep motor running to keep heater on. Driver should be able to proceed a few miles per hour to get out of a dangerous situation (stuck in an intersection, stuck on railroad crossing, stuck on bridge, etc). Many of these vehicles are designed and used to pull large trailers, rv trailers etc. I cannot imagine pulling a large trailer and having that situation occur while driving 65mph on a four lane highway. Very dangerous situation. My investigation is that Ford recalled all the F series that came equipped with the ambulance package however they decided not to recall all the other F series trucks that did not have the ambulance package. Evidently Ford believes that ambulance drivers and passengers are more important than all the other F series drivers with the same engine and components. Someone is going to get killed over this flaw and for what, a $ $60 sensor?. these trucks are 50-60K new and to be left stranded over a simple low cost part is unacceptable and dangerous. Look at all the crashes that occurred with GM with the ignition situation. This situation is as dangerous by allowing the engine to completely shutdown. Owner is left helpless and more than likely in a dangerous situation.

- Sussex, WI, USA

Aug 282013

F-350 4WD 8-cyl

The truck dash display read stop vehicle safely. I immediately looked for a driveway and found on about 50' on the left. I barely made it into the parking lot I had chosen when the engine shut down. I did not make it to a parking spot, but I was off the road. Vehicle was towed to dealer and problem was found with the egt exhaust temp sensor. It was replaced. I was billed $86.20 for the work. Aaa paid the tow, but if I hadn't had that, I'd be out that as well.

- Northville, MI, USA

Apr 052014

F-350 4WD 8-cyl

On two different occasions now, my 2012 F350 6.7 powerstroke engine is shutdown due to a egt sensor failure. When this happens, you loose power within seconds. If you are not in a position to pull over at once, you are stranded in the road or highway. This is a fatality waiting to happen, if it has not already. Ford with replace the sensor free if under 36,000 miles but they have no long term corrective action to resolve this. They just keep on replacing them again and again. This is a major issue with thousands of owners at risk everyday. Just read the reviews under "Ford 6.7 egt sensor problems" from what I am told by many folks, Ford has not intention of resolving this long term. I have a $65K truck that I can not depend on and even worse could get my family injured or killed. Please help!

- Red Oak, TX, USA

Dec 112014

F-350

Turbo charger tube failed at the plastic connection joint on the turbo. Plastic connection broke causing a sudden loss of power at highway speed. 4-failures in fleet trucks with the same issue. One turbo hose had a crimp band joint failure. This could result in a rear end crash on a truck pulling a trailer. Ford said its not a problem. 6.7 engine equipped.

- Goldsboro , NC, USA

Jun 192014

F-350 8-cyl Diesel

I was traveling with my three young children to a town approximately 40 miles from our home. I was going about 70 mph on the freeway, and just as I started to exit at an off ramp a warning tone sounded and my dash flashed "stop safely now". I was exiting anyway and there was no where to pull over, so I continued up the ramp. I quickly turned into the nearby parking lot, and just as I quickly pulled into a parking spot the pickup completely died. It was only about 30 seconds from when I was first alerted to a problem to the vehicle completely shutting off. It was pure luck that I was able to find a safe place to pull over that quickly. I just kept thinking about how dangerous that could have been had I not been able to immediately get off the freeway. If I had lost power on the freeway there could have been a terrible accident. We were then completely stranded and had to wait for a tow. Luckily the weather was fair as we would have been unable to use any heat or air conditioning while we waited for what could have been hours for a tow. Not to mention that we live in a very rural area and often times do not have cell service. Also, we frequently are towing our stock trailer loaded with horses or cattle going up and down steep grades. I can only imagine what would happen if the pickup decided to shut off at those times. I was truly shaken up by this incident and the thought of what could have happened if the circumstances had been different. I am pleading with you to prevent certain future tragedy by forcing Ford to fix this problem. It's a simple fix (in my case it took the dealer less than an hour) and there is no excuse.

- Centervile, WA, USA

Jan 052011

F-350 8-cyl

Delayed reaction of accelerator : engine RPM does not decrease immediately when accelerator pedal is released therefore making the vehicle difficult to stop in an emergency situation.

- Novelty, OH, USA