2017 Ford Fusion electrical problems: dead battery

Dead Battery

2017 Ford Fusion (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

8.3

2. replace battery (3 reports)
  3. warranty replacement & software update-audio control module (2 reports)
  4. replace radio (1 reports)
2017 Ford Fusion electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Ford Fusion:

2017 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 252019

Fusion

I bought this car brand new. It has had continual battery problems. They finally replaced the battery in February 2019. They told me it had bad cells (probably from jumping so much). Warranty covered battery. Less than a month later the problem happen again. They were just trying to replace the battery again. I complained until they kept it for a couple days and told me it wasn't the battery. They replaced a cable. It hasn't been even two weeks and car is dead again.

Uber is loving this. I'm so furious that I make a car payment and it doesn't run. They actually had the nerve to tell me that I must start my car daily or this will happen. The service guy assumed I don't drive it everyday because of the low miles. I explained to him that I work less than a mile from my house. I also asked if he could show me in my owners manual where it says I must drive my car everyday. This is becoming annoying.

I switched to this car because the last car I bought from ford had a transmission problem (their problem - and I ate a $8000 loss). That car was a brand new focus. I can't get rid of the car because of the loss I rolled in from the last ford issue. I can't wait to get away from ford. Their service sucks. No one answers the phone. The people are ignorant.

DON'T EVER BUY FROM MURPHY FORD. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

- Dorothy S., Boothwyn, US

Mar 202019

Fusion SE

On Wednesday I pulled in to have the pollen washed off my car and vacuum before a road trip. It was one of those self vacuum places. Anyway, pull car out of wash tunnel, pull into a vacuum stall and turn it off. My son wiped down the console and may have hit the push button a few times. All I know is the car would not start. It clicked, told me to put my foot on the brake, but would not start.

Called Ford. It was 4:50. They closed in 10 minutes. Told me to bring it in tomorrow. Well, I was leaving for a trip on Thursday. Got it jumped - it started up as soon as one of the connectors connected to the battery. NO ONE STEPPED ON GAS TO GIVE IT SOME JUICE! IT JUST TURNED ON! I left there and went straight to Autozone.

They tested the battery and the starter and something else. All tested fine. Decided to drive my car and not a rental. Got all the way from Spring Hill, FL to Charleston, SC with a few stops - no problems. I drove my car once on Friday. On Saturday, after finishing an event, I went to leave and the car would not start. It was too late to have it towed to a local Ford dealership. So I hung out with my friends and called Ford Roadside Assistance on Sunday before I left town. Sure enough- car started as soon as he barely touched the battery. Drove it home. Made about 5 stops total.

This morning, would not start. I had it towed into Flammer Ford. I refused a jump because on Saturday night at the dance (I was in town to volunteer with a high school organization), I was talking to a police officer and we talked about the issues with the Ford Fusions. He said that more than likely it is an issue with the computer. Only way to find out for sure is to NOT jump it, take it straight to Ford and have them test it. I have a funny feeling they will jump it to bring it into the bay before running their tests.

Three dead start ups within a week? On a car that is only a 2017?

- dabernethy, Spring Hill, US

Aug 302018

Fusion SE 4 cyl

We purchased a new 2017 Ford Fusion SE in May of 2018. The car was fine for 2 months. I came out to start the car one morning and the lights started flashing and the engine would not turn over. There was a persistent clinking sound under the hood like a motor trying to run. I jumped the battery and the car started OK. I thought maybe we had let it sit too long in the garage.

About a week later the same thing happened. The car had only sat for 36 hrs. I jumped the battery again, but this time took it to the dealer service department. They kept the car for the day and said they could not find anything wrong with it. We were told if it happened again to have the car towed to the dealership. 4 days later it happened again.

We had the car towed to the dealer and they said the battery tested bad so they replaced it. They kept the car for two days to be sure it was OK. The car ran fine for 2 weeks. My wife had run some errands on Tuesday, Thursday morning I came out to start the car and had no lights at all this time. I checked the battery with a volt meter, the battery was at 3.5 volts. We had the car jumped by Ford’s roadside service and I took it back to the dealer. We now have a loaner until they can find what’s wrong with it.

Very frustrating to have a new car and it is in the shop more that it is on the road. Why can Ford fix this problem????

Update from Aug 8, 2019: We had to jump the car 2 more times in 2018. Dealer can't find anything wrong, very frustrating!!!!. Car went through the winter of 2018-2019 just fine. Had -22 below zero, car started fine. We got to late June of 2019, weather turned hot, sure enough the car battery is dead again in the morning after being driven the day before. Had it jumped by Ford road service, took it to dealer and after 3 days that can't find anything wrong. We drove the car about a month with no problem, came out on Tuesday after driving the car on Sunday, battery dead again. had it towed to dealer. He still has it and it only has 6500 miles on it. Maybe time trade for something else, but it won't be a Ford!!!!!!

- Dave G., Moline, IL, US

Oct 192017

Fusion

We bought the Ford Fusion October 19, 2017 and it has been in the shop 4 "four" times and is getting ready to go in once again.....

The battery was replaced on 10-19-17 the day we bought the car. The battery was replaced and serviced again on 11-16-17 less then one month after we bought it, they said the problem this time was the ACM and that caused the battery to go dead again. Once again the battery went dead on 11-21-17 they said the problem was fixed once again. The battery was dead and serviced again on 4-6-18. Each time they said it was fixed.

I filed the Lemon law claim with Ford in April 2018 I got a phone call that said my claim was denied. Now a new problem the A/C does not work, you can barely feel the cold air if you put your hand on the vent, the fan does not work. I had to turn the car off and restart it a few times to get the A/C fan to work. I called Ford once again and they said there is nothing they can do, they said take is to the dealer it is under warranty. The car has a little over 4,000 miles.

My question is this car has left me sitting three times in five months. I had to call Ford road side service each time to have it jumped and they continue to fix it because it is under warranty. What happens when it goes out of warranty.

I feel like I have a "LEMON" and Ford finds a reason not to replace or buy back the car.

I do want to say that the Ford dealership has made every effort to help.

- Marilyn M., Front Royal, VA, US

Mar 162017

Fusion

Battery was too low to start the car. Second time I replaced the battery because the dealer was closed. Happened a third time. I jump started and took the car to dealer. They could not find anything but did "flash" the computer. Between the first and the second time it went dead, the system locked up and all I could do was enter the car. Took the battery cable off for five minutes and system returned to normal. Dealer said they could not find anything wrong and was a little upset that I brought it in since they had to pay a tech to find a problem. Not happy.

Update from Apr 4, 2018: Dead batter again. Towed to dealer. Was told they might have it two weeks. Last Saturday we drove it 15 miles to eat. Came out and computer had shut down system but it did start when I hit start button. Don't want to but we hay have to use the lemon law. Just cannot keep this up.

- Harry D., Troy, US

Nov 202017

Fusion

Ford came to jump start the car. Then brought it to the dealer where they couldn't find anything wrong.

- mjmeeks1974, Pearland, US

Dec 272017

Fusion

Since the first time the battery went dead we have turned off everything in the car before we turn it off. This morning the battery was totally dead again. Did not call Ford, put charger on it until it got to 30% charged then it started up. Not very happy that this has happened twice.

- mjmeeks1974, Pearland, US

Nov 272017

Fusion Titanium 2.0L I4

Yet another dead battery in a 2017 Fusion. I have had this car for 11 months. It is the Titanium Energi plug-in hybrid.

In the weeks leading up to the total failure of the 12V battery I was experiencing erratic operation of the electronics (e.g. radio wouldn't turn off, AC wouldn't come on, seat didn't return to its preset position). In the days leading up to the dead battery I would return to my vehicle after a few hours to find a message on my console stating that the car had switched to battery saver mode and the car often didn't start immediately with the push button. This happened even though I was sure that I had turned everything off and was not in accessory mode.

On 11/25/17, my car would not start at all. It was dead except for the light surrounding the shift knob and an unidentifiable "ticking" sound under the hood. Perhaps it was a spark plug sparking? I called roadside assistance and got a jump. The car sat in the garage on the charger all day on 11/26/17. 11/27/17 I got in the car intending to go to work only to find the car dead once again. I had it towed to the dealer. They replaced the 12V battery and reset the battery management system (BMS), but they had no explanation for why this battery died. They also didn't mention that this is a common problem. Many others who have reported a complaint on this site noted that the audio control module (ACM) was blamed for the issue and replaced. They did not replace the ACM on my car. I just got the car back today (11/28/17). We will see if the problem returns. Based on the complaints I have read, I expect to be back to the dealer soon with the same issue. I will provide updates.

Update from Mar 25, 2018: Well, here it is 4 months later almost to the day and I am sitting here stranded due to a dead battery. It's so dead this time that no lights or sounds of any kind are coming from the car. I'm going to get a tow to the dealer, demand they replace the ACM, then probably get rid of this car. I cannot live with a dead car every four months. I have had this car 15 months and it's only got 20,000 miles on it.

Update from Apr 29, 2018: Results of Mar 25, 2018. The battery was discharged, but was able to be jumped. The dealer kept the car for two days to test out, reload, and update the software for the BCE and ACM electronic modules. Still no explanation why the software was so messed up. Still didn't replace the ACM. It is behaving much better, but I'm pretty sure this car will be dead again in four months. Come on, Ford! Figure this out and fix it!

Here is the info from the invoice. I didn't include codes or the name of the tech. Hope some of you are better than I at interpreting: Body/Chassis/Electrical (BCE) - Test BCE Module - Reprogram/Reconfigure as built data Verified the concern-vehicle is dead. Jumped the 12-volt battery and drove into shop. Hooked up the battery tester and the battery passed with 12.35 volts. Checked the vehicle for any DTCs, none present. Checked Oasis, found SSM 46433, re-calibrated the ACM to the latest software levels available. Checked all other modules for updates. TCU, PCM, SOBDM-C & GSM all were available. Performed the coordinated flash. Cleared all DTCs. Tested the vehicle over a few days, vehicle now ok at this time. Requesting M-time for updating of multiple modules.

- Kathy M., Livonia, US

Oct 012017

Fusion S 2.7L

I purchased a 2017 Fusion S in late December 2016. Within a few days, I found the battery was dead after sitting overnight. Initially thought it was due to my mistake of leaving something on or plugged in to the 12V jack. In Jan 2017, I realized the problem was the car. The dealer was willing to help and the car has been into their service department 8 times and a Ford engineer has been involved in the most recent time. In the last 6 months, the battery has died 10 times.

On Oct 4, 2017, I was advised by the dealer service manager that Ford has finally acknowledge there is a widespread problem with the 2017 Fusion. Apparently one of the many electronic modules randomly powers up after the car has been turned off and it drains the battery after 12 - 24 hours. The service manager advised that Ford has indicated they are working on a solution and expects to release it soon.

- Jerry M., Cartersville, US

Jan 222017

Fusion 2.5L

On December 2016 I purchased a 2017 Ford Fusion. Happily trading in my 2014 Ford Focus with the dual shift transmission that I was told the shuddering & noises were normal. Really?!

Towards the end of January of 2017 I went to my garage to start of the Fusion and it was dead. I thought I left something on so I had my son jump it and off to work I went. Then it happened again when I went to start it in the morning approximately one-two weeks later. Nothing was on. Dealership can't find anything. After months of dealing with going out in the morning and finding it dead, having it jumped, taking it to the dealership, getting a rental -Ford Motor Co and the dealership finally got me another 2017 Ford Fusion. I was ecstatic. I thought one bad apple right? Wrong....

The middle of July, I was finally getting to take my new Fusion. I couldn't believe it, 9 days later I went to start it...dead. My stomach dropped. Why can't they just fix it? No guessing because I have heard it all. Transformers by my house (I emailed pictures to rule that one out), pushing the start button twice. I am tired of feeling like I am doing something wrong.

Ford needs to find some resolution to this problem. They build them they should know how to fix them beyond the computer diagnostics which always comes back with nothing. I purchased a new vehicle for the dependability factor. I never know when I step onto my driveway whether it will start or not.......not dependable.

- jrmeyer, Toledo, US

Sep 052017

Fusion S 2,4

Went to leave for work, and my fusion won't start. Have had NO issues before now. Jump started the car, got it running, and drove it straight to the dealer. The writer told me there is some 3 hour battery test. So im sure I wont here anything back today...Standby!

- Vernon R., Pasadena, US

May 302017

Fusion Sport 2.7L V6

After a 7 day vacation and the car sat unused, it would not start. Thinking I may have left the door ajar or something, I just charged the battery and drove it to work. For five days, had no problem. After the car sat for two days, the battery was dead again. After one day, a message appeared on my Ford Pass app saying "Deep Sleep Mode Activated; To conserve battery power, Fusion Sport has entered Deep Sleep mode. This occurs when your vehicle has been inactive for 14 or more consecutive days." Since this wasn't the case, I has the battery tested at Advanced Auto. They will test for free. They said the battery was shot and will not hold a charge anymore. Took it to the Ford Dealer and they replaced the battery with no explanation of why this happened.

- toolmanman, Seven Valleys, US

Sep 172017

Fusion Sport 2.7L V6

After the car sat unused for 24 hours, it would not start. A message also appeared on my Ford Pass app saying "Deep Sleep Mode Activated; To conserve battery power, Fusion Sport has entered Deep Sleep mode. This occurs when your vehicle has been inactive for 14 or more consecutive days." Since this wasn't the case, I I called the Ford Dealer and they made an appointment for me as of this date.

- toolmanman, Seven Valleys, US

Jan 262017

Fusion 2.5L

2017 Ford Fusion. Battery Drain. Jumped it and took to dealer. No resolution.

Update from Sep 6, 2017: 2017 Ford Fusion. Battery Drain Again on May 30, 2017. Jumped it and took to dealer. No Resolution.

Update from Sep 6, 2017: 2017 Ford Fusion. Battery Drain. Had towed to dealer September 2, 2017. No Resolution. Acquired copy of Ford's Technical Service Bulletin and I quote in its entirety, "SSM 46775 - 2017 Fusion - 2.5L - Battery Drain - Without Active Grille Shutter - Some 2017 Fusion vehicles equipped without active grille shutters (ASG) may exhibit a concern of battery drain. Battery drain may be a res... stop/start button cycling. PCM battery drain may not be reproducible under some circumstances, especially after a battery has been discharged or if the battery has b... updates. To prevent this condition, instruct the customer that the start/stop button should not be pressed more than once within 5 seconds."

- Chris W., Phoenix, AZ, US

Aug 022017

Fusion 2.5L

Battery dead again. Called and got it towed to dealership. They have had car 5 days and unable to tell whats wrong with it. Will not give me a loaner or anything.

Jul 022017

Fusion

On 7/2/17 while on vacation we awoke to a dead battery. We assumed that we had left something on int he car overnight. Jumped it and went about our day.

On 7/16/17 we once again awoke to a dead battery. This time we were positive that we had not left anything on. I brought it into the dealer that Monday. They tested the battery and said the battery was saying it was fine. They cleared the code and said to bring it back if it happens again. This was at around 7600 miles.

Jump to yesterday, 8/13/17 and once again a dead battery at around 9960 miles. Bringing it back to the dealer today along with a printout of these complaints.

I have noticed while sitting in the car waiting for my children to be done with whatever practice, game or event that they are at, that the dashboard will occasionally illuminate and the shifter will occasionally illuminate and click while the car is off. I'm sure this is part of whatever is draining the battery. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when it will happen or for how long. sometimes its just a couple of clicks and sometimes it seems to go on for close to a minute.

- Evelyn B., Walpole, US

Feb 022017

Fusion 2.5L

Went out to get in my car after going out of town for one day and the battery was completely dead. Had to call road side assistance to jump off and took to the dealership where they replaced the battery.

Jul 032017

Fusion 2.5L

Battery dead again, taken to dealership where they kept it overnight and replaced the battery again.

Feb 012017

Fusion Sport 2.7L V6

What good is a car if it doesn't start? Just go out there and search "2017 Ford Fusion Sport Dead Battery" on Google and see all the hits. Or maybe read five of the 1500 posts spread across 130 pages documenting the issue on a single site here: http://www.fusionsportforums.com/forum/257-fusion-v6-sport-audio-electronics-lighting/3770-dead-battery-93.html

May be a bad ACM, bad center dial shifter, or driver door module? Who knows?! Ford engineers don't and that's likely why there still isn't a recall for this well-known issue to date. Help document this problem and bring light to us steadfast consumers!

After loving all my Fords, including this here widespread lemon, I cannot recommend Ford to family, friends, or even strangers at this point.

- David D., Chicago, IL, US

Nov 202016

Fusion Sport 2.7L V6 Tt

Title this "Love The Car - Hate The Problem"

From my Sport Saga Notes:

Nov 21 2016 : Battery Dead Overnight (1st time) : Ford Roadside Assist jumpstart, then to selling dealership for diagnostics.

Nov 22 2016 : Shop Foreman says Body Control Module (BCM) not sleeping consistently. Ordered replacement. - After BCM received, shop says Ford sent wrong BCM. Reordered. Sigh. - BCM installed, electrics tested, picked up week after Turkey Day.

Dec 5 2016 : Dead Battery Again After going dead again twice each overnight Fri - Sat Dec 2nd - 3rd. Dropped off this AM. Dealer shop found no direct cause but found a discrepancy in how the optional Illuminated Door Sill Plates were installed before deliver last Oct and re-wired. We're all hoping this resolves the intermittent overnight battery drains.

Jan 6 : Nope. Dealer shop replaced factory battery that had been drained repeatedly by continuing intermittent overnight battery drains, JIC. Once again we're all hoping this resolves the intermittent overnight battery drains.

Feb 6 : NOPE. Dead start again. Ford Roadside called for immediate tow, no jump to hopefully make diagnostics more effective at seller dealership. - After days of tests & diags & delays*, shop foreman says BCM replaced in Nov 2016 was STILL wrong (by 1 Part # digit) and should never have worked from the start. (Huh.) Also he suspects the Transmission Control Module (TCM) of randomly illuminating tranny control dial LED. Meanwhile FORD says replace the ACM (Audio Control Module) based on data related to "hundreds" of 2017 Fusion product line battery drain reports. Delay 1: The only specialized tech in shop who can work on this issue "has a medical issue". *Delay 2: "The shop foreman is out and he wants to double check the tech's work." *Delay 3: "I had a root canal this morning." *Delay 4: "Whoa man, the power was out here all morning!" *Delay 5: "I had open heart surgery. That time."

Feb 19 : Fixed? Nope. Waiting for ACM from Ford's vendor. Dealer service manager says "Should have ACM by Tuesday" Feb 21st. If not STILL backordered (OMG pls no). Then, installation and at least one overnight test.

Please God, please God, please God...

Update from Feb 27, 2017: Feb 27 Update

Feb 21 : Dealer received & installed replacement Audio Control Module (ACM) however software update provided by Ford to resolve intermittent battery drain upload failed. Ford stated next communication on Feb 22.

Feb 24 : Nothing from dealership until today and still no working ACM software update. Ford says next follow up on this software fix by March 3rd. Since our shiny new 2017 Ruby Red paint-upgraded Sport is exiled to the open-air dealer’s lot until god knows when and it’s Springtime For Texas (which means thunder-boomers, highwinds and the always imminent tornado or two), we asked the shop to button ‘er up for pickup. Since the root problem boils down to an intermittent overnight battery drain that we can mitigate with our slow charger, it only makes sense to garage protect paint & body while getting use out of a new car with new car loan and insurance payments due, regardless.

So now its on Ford and its worth saying, after a bumpy start, the dealership is doing the best they can in a bad sitch all around. Our dealer shop alone has at least 3 new cars w/ this issue waiting for a Ford resolution. Its a big PITA for all of us.

Next Update : Next Week

Update from Mar 11, 2017: March 11 Update

Mar 3 : News! Dealership received ACM software update late on this Friday, installed on one of the other cars waiting in-shop for testing on the following Mon March 6th.

Mar 7 : Good News! The ACM software update installed on another 2017 Fusion in the dealer’s shop passed initial testing and was returned to that car’s owner. Set a quick ‘While-U-Wait’ install and programming appointment for Thur AM March 9th.

March 11 : So far so good - Test cranks every morning successful to this point w/ all systems go. Since the initial, post-delivery battery drain didn’t occur until a full 7 weeks after delivery we’ll wait until 7 from now to declare status Victory / Problem Solved / Ford (and vendors) Removed From Sht List. HOPEfully my Final Update to this problem will occur then. Wish us Luck (crosses fingers, crosses self, knocks on wood, smudges sage in garage, puts out flash-fire caused by burning plant material and fuel fumes, bandages 3rd degree burns over former location of eyebrows, dances in a circle while praying to the Car Gods).

Update from Apr 3, 2017: April 3 2017 : About 4 weeks and so far so good since the ACM (Audio Control Module) code update on March 9th. No random overnight battery drains since then, however will reserve final verdict until early May and after zero additional stealth battery bye-byes. Will update again, by then.

Update from Jun 3, 2017: June 3rd 2017 Update :: It appears the fix is in : GTG since the March 9th ACM replacement and software install. No random first-thing AM dead battery or other weird electrical or Control Module issues. We're finally back to "Love The Car" after leaving the problem behind!

- Dayne C., Cedar Park, US