- September 16: Ford Explorer Wheel Hub Bearing Assemblies Recalled recalls | 5 days ago
- September 15: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Investigation Upgraded investigations | 6 days ago
- September 12: Ford PowerShift Dual-Clutch Transmission Settlement Questioned news | 9 days ago
- August 31: Ford Recalls F-150 and Mustang Over Deadly Airbags recalls | 21 days ago
- August 31: Ford Recalls Explorer, Taurus and Police Interceptors recalls | 21 days ago
Torque Convertor Failure
2003 Ford Taurus (Page 1 of 2)
CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car that shifts gears & coil springs that don't shred tires. The Taurus fails in that respect.
The 2003 Ford Taurus has major issues with the transmission failing. Typically the 2003 Taurus transmission failure costs $2,000 to fix by about 90k-100k miles. Not good.
Adding insult to injury, the 1999-2003 Taurus also has a huge problem with coil springs breaking which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.
The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 85,671 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 34 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace torque convertor (21 reports)
- not sure (7 reports)
- replace convertor (4 reports)
- replaced transmission (2 reports)