2006 Ford Taurus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Taurus:

2006 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Jan 252018

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. On several occasions, while driving, the vehicle independently accelerated. While the vehicle was parked, it accelerated without warning. Also, the cruise control failed to operate. The contact stated that the gear shifter was placed in neutral and the accelerator pedal was depressed in order to stop the vehicle. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The dealer was not contacted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified and the contact was advised to take the vehicle to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The approximate failure mileage was 116,000.

- Fort Ann, NY, USA

Jan 172018

Cruise control stopped working & then a couple weeks later while driving up a hill the accelerator took off by itself like the cruise control was on, when I took my foot off the gas pedal the car continued to accelerate. In a panic I shifted the car into neutral & the engine rev'd up to over 4000 RPM it then quit accerating by itself. 3 days later it does it again, accelerated on its own with my foot off the gas pedal. This is a very dangerous situation. Luckily for me there was no car in front of me. Does someone have to die in order for a recall to be ordered"???"

- Omaha, NE, USA

Oct 142017

Taurus 6-cyl

2/15/17- while coasting up-hill with foot not on the gas, car accelerated to over 4,000 RPM all by itself, braking was extremely difficult. I parked, turned car off, turned it back on and even while parked it revved back up to over 4,000 RPM. Took it to Firestone on 2/16/17- they replaced the iac (idle air control) valve. 3/3/17- while idling at red light with foot not on the gas, car accelerated/ revved up to over 4,000 RPM all by itself. Had to press on brake very hard and turn car off. Turned it back on and it was no longer accelerating. 3/4/14 took it to a different Firestone. They adjusted cruise control cable. 9/3/17- while idling on a bridge with foot not on the gas, car accelerated/ revved up to over 3,000 RPM all by itself. Braking was extremely difficult and had to turn car off in the middle of traffic. Turned it back on and it was no longer accelerating by itself. 9/4/17 took it to Firestone. They ordered a new iac valve and replaced it on 9/7/17. 10/14/17- while idling in traffic with foot very light on brake, car accelerated/ revved up to over 4,000 RPM all by itself. Had to quickly turn car off in the middle of traffic to stop it. Turned car back on and it was no longer accelerating on its own. The consumer stated another failure occurred on 10/28/2017

- Emeryville, CA, USA

Jun 272017

My car, since 130K miles accelerates on its own...when I put in neutral and hit gas it revs to 5 and then normalizes. # days ago it did it 5X within 10 minutes. Currently has 140K miles. I had it sderviced and the Ford dealer offered no solutions and werent aware of this type of problem

- Wilton, CT, USA

Jun 072017

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. While driving 40 mph, the brake pedal was applied but failed to respond and the vehicle accelerated. The local dealer was not contacted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure, but did not offer any assistance. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Walton, KY, USA

Oct 012016

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. When the contact's foot was released from the accelerator pedal, the vehicle idled abnormally. The failure occurred without warning. The dealer could not replicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 165,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 072017

Accelerator sticks. Car failed to de-accelerate several times. Once, coming to stop sign and engine kept racing. Occasionally going down highway and wanted to slow down, but accelerator was stuck. Can barely stop the car with brakes. Reason: The reason is well documented. The cruise control cable becomes disconnected and traps the accelerator cable (throttle) so it can't move. NHTSA has investigated this and negligently failed the public. There is a very good youtube.com video showing the problem exactly! my car is the exact problem, and all anyone has to do is google "2006 Ford Taurus accelerator sticks┐ to see how frequently it happens. I have wired the cables together myself, but this is not a permanent solution. It does show that Ford could easily resolve this. And, yes, in a usa today article from 2013 I see there have been injuries, and maybe deaths from this. Note: Mine is not related to any electronic throttle, or electrical issue. It is purely mechanical - part defect. I can send pictures of cables, but you can just watch this youtube video: Https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=Z1U1fgabdw4 I will be making a congressional inquiry, complete with extensive documented references to this problem. I believe it is gross negligence that the NHTSA has known about this and done nothing. Ford has known, and issued a technical service bulletin (tsb) recommending throttle body replacement - at customer expense. Obviously you are both waiting for enough deaths or older cars going out of service before doing anything. I guess I need to get 60 minutes and usa today to look into this, again. Please let me know if you are really looking into this! one more link discussing the problem: www.fordforumsonline.com/threads/2006-Taurus-car-accelerated-by-it-self.1167/

- Cherokee Village, AR, USA

Nov 042006

Taurus 6-cyl

Car self accelerates for no reason. It happened four times today during a 10 minute drive. It happens while car is moving and at low speed, approximately 25 miles per hour.11\4.

- St. Charles, MO, USA

Aug 102016

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. While driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle accelerated to 40 mph on its own and while the brake pedal was applied. When the contact placed the gear shifter into the neutral position, the rpms increased from 200,000 to 300,000. The ignition was shut off and the gear shifter was placed into park. When the vehicle was restarted, the rpms increased to 300,000. The ignition was shut off a third time and restarted, and the rpms increased to 100,000. The failure recurred numerous times. The manufacturer was not notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 118,320.

- Youngstown, OH, USA

Jul 242016

On the afternoon of Sunday, July 24th, 2016, our 2006 Ford Taurus began accelerating out of control on its own Accord while driving down the street in worcester, Massachusetts. We tried to brake the car, but were not able to compete against the rapid acceleration. We ended up putting it in neutral, and then in park, and bring it to a stop (albeit in the middle of a busy street) where it was still reaching upwards of 4,500 rpms. Very disconcerting. As we could not drive any further like this, we shut it off, got out, and called aaa for a tow, which arrived almost two hours later after we sat in the hot afternoon sun and were diverting traffic around our disabled vehicle. Being that we were traveling with two other guests and the tow truck could only accommodate 2 people max for the trip back to Rhode Island (over 40 miles away), the driver tried to diagnose and fix the problem on the spot. He looked under the hood and showed us that the cruise control cable had become unclipped and fallen off. He then lubed it up, reattached it, and had us do a couple of tests to see if it was working properly. Thankfully it was, and we slowly and cautiously were able to drive home. After doing some research, we became aware that this was and is a known issue with our year, make, and model of car, and that an investigation had been opened into it. We are also aware that, at that time, Ford had launched a "customer satisfaction campaign" to fix or replace defective cruise control cables. While we were able to drive the car home that day, we are not thrilled about the possibility of this issue happening again and would like to have this issue fixed by Ford. I have spoken to three separate people at Ford at this point, and all have refused to have this problem taken care of by Ford for us.

- Cranston, RI, USA

Jun 252016

When driving the gas pedal sticks to the floor of the car, the cruise control comes on, and the car will just take off. It still stays stuck when you turn the car off. You have to put the car in park and push on the gas pedal until it stops. This happened on 6/25/16 and numerous times since.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Apr 222016

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle accelerated without warning. The brakes failed to respond when the pedal was depressed. The vehicle stopped upon turning off the ignition. The contact notified the manufacturer. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000. Updated 06/14/16

- Longmont, CO, USA

Mar 202016

Car in motion at highway speed. Accelerator sticks after taking foot off. On highway and street. Cruise control is off. Must put car in neutral, pull off road, restart car.

- Richmond, KY, USA

Mar 212016

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving at 50 mph, the vehicle independently accelerated. The contact merged to the shoulder of the road when suddenly the engine rpms revved. The failure had recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was repaired, however the details of the repair could not be provided and the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 173,000.

- Palmer, TX, USA

Jan 312016

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. While driving various speeds, the vehicle began to accelerate without the accelerator pedal being depressed. There were no warning lights illuminated. Additionally, the rpms on the instrument panel peaked to 400. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the failure could not be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 120,000.

- Indian Orchard, MA, USA

Mar 212016

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Taurus. While driving at various speeds with the cruise control engaged, the vehicle independently accelerated without warning. The vehicle was able to be stopped and a loud abnormal noise was heard. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 125,000.

- East Montpelier, VT, USA

Mar 082016

Car accelerated with brakes applied, this corrected itself then repeated 3 more times. Took car to my mechanic discovered cruise control arm detached and was getting caught in throttle. Took car to dealer. They will examine on 3/10/16.called Ford spoke with jeffrey in customer service no recall gave VIN# and reported issue. Discovered this issue has happened to many others with Taurus vehicles. Very dangerous and scary issue. The part is plastic and either wears or bad design because it comes free from the mount and gets caught in the throttle when driving. You don't know until you try to stop. Car wants to keep going and RPM gauge shows throttle being applied with foot off accelerator and on brake.pushing the gas pedal rapidly dislodge's cruise control arm but it gets stuck again randomly. Mechanic snapped piece back in place but it dislodged again once gas pedal is depressed.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 012015

So now when I try to reverse my car doesn't move and if I hit the gas the engine just Ram up and makes a loud noise.I have got stuck so many times to the point where I can't move...also my headlights and high beams look the same there is no difference and you don't even know when the high beams are on the light in the car doesn't come on..my A/C a and heater only works on high.I can't get on the freeway the gages go up to 4 and go down when I'm going 65.when im on the regular street they still go up hight and I can be going less than 45.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Dec 182015

Recently while I was driving my cruise control completely stopped working. Two days after that I was slowing for a red light and I noticed that my car was revving up in gears as I was slowing down. I was barely able to get my car to stop and I shut it down to prevent accident. After the red light was over I started up my car and shifted into drive. That is when I noticed my car accelerating on its own. Without pressing my foot on the gas pedal my car was able to accelerate up to about 45 miles per hour. This car is unsafe and after some research I have found out that there were 14 issues like this reported and others that were not reported (for instance this happened to my sister's 2005 Ford Taurus and she had to repair it out of her own pocket). I wanted to provide this report because Ford is refusing to help with this issue despite this being a clear safety issue. This issue happens while the car is stationary and while moving.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Sep 232015

When getting in car vehicle accelerates by itself, can go to 50 mph without touching gas petal. Even when braking rmp is over 2,000. Very scary, at dealership now trying to figure out what's going on. After reviewing others complaints this seems like a recall is needed for Ford before it kills someone.

- Amelia, VA, USA