ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

8.0

$1,460

2. repaint (38 reports)
  3. repaint the car (36 reports)
  4. repaint entire car (17 reports)
  5. i paid to have my car repainted (5 reports)
2006 Honda Civic body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Jan 012012

Civic

click to see larger images

clearcoat and paint problems clearcoat and paint problems clearcoat and paint problems clearcoat and paint problems clearcoat and paint problems

I have had my Honda Civic for 12 years. At about 5 years (not sure exactly), the paint job started to look bad. A few years later, I received a letter from Honda saying they were extending the warranty for the paint job. I took it in and got the sections of the care repainted that were in bad shape. Only a few years later, the paint job started to look bad again. I had the car at the dealer for something else and I asked them if they would do anything about this. They said no, only one paint job per car. Now the paint is looking awful!! People ask me what is wrong with the car. I have noticed other Hondas looking the same way. This paint issue has been an issue for many years. It has nothing to do with the age of the car. I am so disgusted with the look of this car that I will never get another Honda, even though it has been a good car otherwise.

- Cindy H., Rockville, MD, US

Mar 172016

Civic LS 1.8L

Very disappointed to see the paint and clear coat literally disintegrate all over the car.

- Michael S., Etobicoke, ON, Canada

Feb 012011

click to see larger images

clearcoat and paint problems clearcoat and paint problems

Vic Bailey Honda said the paint recall only took care of repainting the engine and trunk hood and roof top up to the trim edge and nothing else. Well, Honda, your inferior paint is on the entire car and you are responsible for the quality of components on the ENTIRE car. Why didn't you just use a UV additive in your clear coat? It would have been a lot less expensive because I will not be buying a new Honda again. I don't do business with vendors that can't be trusted to fix the problems they are responsible for.

- David B., Greenville, SC, USA

Jul 042017

Civic LX 1.8L V4

WAS A PROUD OWNER, UNTIL PAINT STARTED TO GO AWAY......WANNA FIX IT......WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND A HONDA UNTIL FIXED.

- Angadjot S., Providence, RI, US

Jan 012012

Civic LX 4

Honda's paint is awful. It comes off and the looks awful

- Jamie C., Somerset, NJ, US

Jun 012014

Civic

The paint/clear coat on my 2006 is literally non-existent these days!!...my car runs GREAT but it looks like complete sh*t and I swear that it gets worse on a weekly basis!!!

- Stephanie J., Browns Mills, US

Jun 272017

Civic SI 2.0L

paint started to 'wear off' on the roof and is spreading to the doors and truck

- Devin D., Whitby, ON, Canada

Jan 012015

Civic LX

I am the original owner of a 2006 Honda Civic LX (galaxy grey). I received the recall for the paint peeling on the roof and trunk hood and had it performed as soon as it was issued since I was having the problem of the paint clouding and starting to peel. Approximately a year later, the front and rear sides are also having a horrible peeling problem. I keep the car in good shape...it now has only about 83000 miles on it. I was hoping to keep the car for several more years since it is running great but it looks like crap. I think Honda is very aware of the continuing issues, yet do nothing to satisfy their loyal customers. This is my 2nd Civic but is sure to be my last.

- Karen S., Toms River, US

Jan 012017

clearcoat and paint problems

The clearcoat/paint on the roof of my 2006 Honda Civic EX, color Galaxy Gray, looks terrible! I kept my car in a garage which I believe delayed the clearcoat/paint problem. I do not feel it is fair to put a time limit on when a factory defect can be fixed when the problem could begin at any time. I've seen some other Hondas, twin to mine, and the paint/clearcoat is missing on the trunk, roof and hood! I've kept my car very clean and nothing I have done has caused this issue!

- Jeremy B., Gloversville, US

Jan 012015

Civic EX In Line 4 cyl

The paint on the car is showing fading, spotting and looks really awful. It seems to be spreading and getting worse. It is on the roof, hood, rear of the car and makes it look like a real clunker. I would have expected the the paint on a Honda vehicle would stand the test of time.

I would like Honda to take responsibility for this and to repair the problem.

- Ruth O., Arlington, US

May 012017

Civic LX 3.2V4

Very bad paint job done on the Honda Civic 2008, lost all value of the car.

- Zadwinder S., Calgary, AB, Canada

Mar 012014

Civic EX V6

The paint/clear coat is absolutely awful and believe it or not getting worse and worse. This was less than a 10-year-old car.

- frostysnow, Chicago, US

Nov 012016

Civic SI

I am extremely disappointed and disgusted that Honda (dealership and the company itself) is refusing to help me resolve this issue. I have taken extremely good care of this car and this is a defect that should be addressed by Honda by issuing another warranty extension. There is the right thing to do, then there is the right thing to do. I hope Honda steps up!!!!

- Susan Z., Dunellen, NJ, US

Mar 012016

Civic 1.8L V4

The paint started to peel off of the car. When I brought it to a dealer they brushed me off, stating it was normal wear and tear. Since then I have found this is a common problem that the Honda dealers are ignoring. It's embarrassing to drive down the street in this car.

- Steven W., Norwood, US

Jan 012014

Civic EX

Really CRAPPY PAINT, paint and clear coat coming off, and this car is garage kept. Also, due to the looks of the paint it WILL affect my Resale Value. This Honda Civic is a great Car , I love driving it, the gas mileage is excellent, And I have had no mechanical issues with this car. IT JUST LOOKS LIKE SH*T!!!!

- srussell01, Arlington, US

May 222013

clearcoat and paint problems

I bought a nice dark blue honda back in 2006. A car I could keep for years. I had no problems with this car, until the paint started peeling in 2012. I went to the honda dealer I bought it from. They said that it was not covered on the warranty. I had put an extra protection for rust on it. I cleaned it every week. I took good care of it. Ex. never washed it in the sun , used only car shampoo.But still the problem consisted.I made a complaint at Honda Canada. They said they could do nothing!! It's a Shame to drive around with this car !!! But I want to let everyone to see the problem !!! Take your responsablity Honda Canada !! There should be a recall on all the dark blue honda's, Thank-you Stephen Ritch

- Stephen R., terrebonne quebec, QC, Canada

Jan 012017

Civic LS V4

Noticed it starting to fade more and more. Car is in great shape otherwise. Only the roof is showing this. Car is taken care of.

- Samantha S., Carlisle, US

Jul 042016

Civic LX 1.8L

Known issue with Honda but they refuse to correct the situation. Honda quality not even close to be acceptable. I will never buy another Honda. Toyota a much better vehicle. KIA is a better vehicle and Hyundai is about the same. Boycott Honda. Buy better vehicles.

- s76brx, West Nyack, US

Sep 012015

Civic EX

i really thought it was my fault. Perhaps not washing enough and putting enough wax on the roof. After finding this site, I see pictures of the exact same problems I am having. Currently, the area is just the roof. Multiple "bald spots" are forming with the worse ones eating past the paint into the metal. It's not even 10 years and yes, I agree, it looks disgusting. I am very disappointed and will not buy a Honda again.

I was going to get a quote tomorrow and ask if my local repair shop can fix it. Now I won't even bother. Even if i do spend money to fix it, the rest of the paint in the rest of the car will eventually look like my roof now. I am very sad. Now I know the rest of my car will look like the roof in a few years.

- ares1475, Flushing, NY, US

Sep 012010

Civic ES

I was never notified of a recall on the paint, by mail, phone or e-mail. I have also taken my vehicle in to be serviced there, and was not notified then either. I found out about the recall from other Honda Civic owners who had the same issues. When I called the dealership where I purchased the car from, I was told there was an extended warranty on the paint, but at this time my car is no longer covered.

- Tara J., Arlington, TX, USA