CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

7.4

$1,850.00

1. repaint (12 reports)
  3. repaint or new trunk lid (1 reports)
2011 Hyundai Sonata body / paint problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 012016

Sonata LX 2.4L

Paint is peeling in several areas of the Hood and Roof. The paint simply flakes off like there was no primer or prep of the metal. To fix the roof the windshield needs to be removed so there's a real risk of that part not surviving the remove and replace process.

- , Mount Laurel, NJ, US

May 102017

Sonata 2.0t

This a pretty car but somehow I don't like the peeling paint on the back bumper. It looks terrible and my antenna is starting to peel too. This is very awful. This car is in good condition and this should not have happened, the car is still brand new. Is there any help on this issue?

- , Pensacola, US

Dec 012016

Sonata Limited 2.4L

The paint on my 2011 Sonata is starting to peel in 6 different places. Much like many other complaints about the Sonata paint, the peeling is happening on the edges of the hood, the roof, the trunk and doors. I'm so pissed about this as I've taken such good care of this car and feel disheartened that Hyundai won't take responsibility for this clear defect.

- , Greensboro, NC, US

Nov 022016

Sonata Limited 2.4L

Called the company was told not enough complaints have been called in on this issue for a recall. I believe that this model has had 11 recalls. I bought this car off the show room floor with 2 miles on it. Every time there was a re call, the wait time, well we will not get into that. I am so disappointed that the paint is bubbling then with a strong wind, need I say more my paint flies away. I am displease with the local dealership. Not helpful in the least.

Mar 072017

Sonata Limited 2.4L

3RD SPOT!!!!! Paint peeling on the top of my roof right in the middle before the sunroof. This was a beautiful car now when I drive around, it makes me fell awful. When I am asked what happened to that beautiful car. I have to say a defect in the paint and , no one wants to listen. Yes I could get it painted but this is definitely a recall issue.

Mar 022016

Sonata Limited 2.4L

This is another complaint on peeling paint. This one is on the trim above the windshield, which is about 3 inches long. I am so annoyed, that the company will not own up to this defect.

Apr 032017

Sonata Limited 2.4L

4th place for the peeling paint.....NOW the lower part of my trunk!!!! This is getting worse and no one cares.

I do have pictures of all the areas. 11 Recalls on the car and they cannot recall, for this issue.

Sep 012016

Sonata ES 2.4L

I am very disappointed in the Hyundai Sonata and the way my vehicles paint has started to peel off.

- , Decatur, GA, USA

Aug 002014

Sonata Limited 2.4L Dohc

For no reason the car bumper's paint bubbled up and started peeling off. Now in Sept 2016, the spot has rusted and more paint has come off. It would be acceptable if I had some sort of accident to have this happen to begin with, but this is not the case. Just another thing I hate about this car!

- , Eldersburg, MD, USA

Nov 012013

Sonata

I noticed the paint on the hood of my 2011 Hyundai Sonata started peeling a couple of years ago. At first, because it was a very small area, I thought it was just due to age. But over the last couple of years the area has gotten much larger and paint is now peeling in other areas on my car. This to me is not an age problem but a paint manufacturers defect. I did go on another website and apparently there is a class action lawsuit for this issue. Why is Hyundai ignoring this? There are so many other people having the same issues. Hyundai needs to step up and address this. Auto body shops must be having a field day with all the Sonata's, and other Hyundai models, coming in for paint jobs! We should be reimbursed for it. A 5 year old car should not have to have a paint job done to the hood or any area unless its been in an accident.

- , Orlando, FL, US

Jul 132016

Sonata

The paint where the windshield meets the roofline started chipping away on my 2011 Hyundai Sonata.. I looked elsewhere and sure enough there was more chipping on the driver door frame. This sucks! My previous car I owned for 150,000 miles never had a paint issue.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

May 082015

Sonata Limited

paint peeling paint peeling

I emailed Hyundai last year about this and they say it is outside the 3 yr warranty...I tweeted at them last month...they called me and again explained about the warranty...this is not a warranty issue, it is a quality control issue. They refuse to take any responsibility for this crap paint job on a $30,000 car! I took it to the dealer and they said they could do the paint but would have to break my windshield at my cost, to do it right!! I am beyond livid and plan to consult an attorney for a civil suit against the company.

Update from Mar 24, 2017: the paint bubbling and peeling is now on my back drivers side door!! This is ridiculous

- , Valley, AL, USA

Apr 012015

Sonata

Paint peeled on roof, hoof, side and Hyundai would not cover repairs.

- , Rensselaer, NY, USA

Mar 012016

click to see larger images

paint peeling paint peeling paint peeling

I love my 2011 Hyundai Sonata first of all. It has been a really good car for me and has not given me any real problems. I had the engine checked under the recall and it was given a clean bill of health along with a 120K engine warranty.

HOWEVER, this paint peeling is a bunch of BxLLSxxT!!!!!!!! From all of the other comments and major engine woes, and I'm sure there are many more on other sites, Hyundai needs to address their quality problems NOW.

I like many other owners take care of my car and I have done everything I can to protect the paint only to have it flake off. I have pictures into my local Hyundai dealer to see if there is anything that can be done but I suspect Hyundai Corporate is going to tell me it's not their problem anymore. Even just assisting with the cost of repainting would be better than nothing.

Awaiting the news.

- , Hobbsville, NC, USA

Sep 012015

Sonata SE 2.4L

The paint on my 2011 Sonata SL started to peel off around 2014-2015 from the area where the windshield meets the roof and the hood. The gray primer is showing from all these locations. It looked very ugly. I filed a complaint at the Pensacola FL dealership on 3/10/16 and waiting for response what the will do about this.

- , Milton, FL, USA

Jan 012014

Sonata GLS 2.4L

The paint on my 2011 Sonata GLS started to peel off around 2014 from the area where the windshield meets the roof. It looked so ugly that I had to cover it with some paint with primer. But since Nov 2015, it has started to peel off of multiple places such as, the hood, rear left passenger door, roof etc. The gray primer is showing from all these locations. At some places I see the paint bulging up waiting to peel. I am very disappointed with this issue. I have had other cars but never had their paint peel off so quickly. I am going to the Hyundai of Wesley Chapel dealership in couple of days for recalls and will bring the issue to their attention. I am sure that it is a known issue and hence, Hyundai should do its best to resolve it.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Sep 012015

Sonata GLS 2.0L

paint peeling

Hyundai Canada refuses to make the repair. It is clearly a lack of paint.

- , St Lambert de Lauzon, QC, Canada

Jun 132015

paint peeling

Paint started peeling unexplained to several areas on the car without any damage to the body.

- , Havre de Grace, MD, USA

Apr 082015

Sonata LS 4 cyl

Car has had paint issues from the get go. Upon purchases the car looked great, after a few weeks driving I noticed a discoloration on the rear quarter panel. This area had to be repainted. Two years down the road, the front bumper begins to shed its skin and looses all of its paint. The dealership had the front bumper repainted under warranty. Now the paint is peeling above the front windshield and exposed black underneath. I am at the point where I am scared to wash it due to anymore paint or clear coat coming off. Off to see the dealership tomorrow to be told my warranty has expired. When the car was first being marketed on air and in ads, the main selling point was the same process for a Mercedes Benz was used on the all new Sonata paint wise. I truly don't think this is the case.

- , Pine Mountain, GA, USA

Jul 092012

Sonata Limited 2.4L

The paint on the roof of my Sonata is continuing to peel. It started in 2012, just at the lip where it meets the windshield. It was one small chip that has grown in size. The problem has spread all along this lip in different areas (not connected) and each area continues to get larger. Hyundai says I have to pay for the paint to be fixed. Why is a four-year-old car needing paint fixed when there has been no damage?

- , Louisville, KY, USA