CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 4 of 50)

Aug 032017

Sonata

My steering wheel is cluncking & rattling very bad as if I am going to lose control. I have also ben burning oil like crazy for months.

- Middletown, NJ, USA

Jul 252017

Sonata

The contact's girlfriend owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving, the contact heard a clicking noise coming from the steering wheel and an unknown warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the power steering unit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The dealer was not contacted. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 127,455.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 022017

Sonata

Had my 2 front tires changed, after they were charged the brake paddle locked up and the push button starter will not start the car and I have no brake lights. The only way to start the car is to press down on the brakes while pushing and holding the starter at the same time for about 60 seconds, the car will not move out of gear unless the shift release lock is pushed. I have no brake lights

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jul 142017

Sonata

I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata writing in regards to the Hyundai steering gear assembly recall no. 0## I have a vehicle that has this loose steering wheel concern where this vehicle is immobile now and cannot be safely driven anytime. This vehicle has been parked in my yard since it was picked up from the dealer several weeks ago. When I spoke to the local dealership about it, I am told it is not covered due to its mileage. This item has been a concern awhile and brought more clearly to my attention when driven by my father. He describes it as "a death trap" and told me not to drive it until it corrected. There is excessive play or a loose feeling in the steering wheel and it is very slow to respond. It feel like it will fall apart at anytime when driving and it has a clicking noise when making a turn either direction. I have written a letter to the Hyundai assurant program and I have been told the same thing; its not a covered warranty item. I says it is covered due to the recall no matter when it was discovered, because the assembly of the steering column is definitely malfunctioning. An upload of the letter forward to Hyundai assurant program is attached to this complaint. Unhappy owner Oklahoma

- Lawton, OK, USA

Feb 082017

Sonata

Interior light comes on without opening doors clicking in the steering collar motor has a winning sound and the brake light some times just blink off

- St Louis, MO, USA

Jun 202017

Sonata

Clacking sound coming from the steering column when wheel is turned during driving and when the car travels over bumps in the road

- Wilmington, MA, USA

Jul 012017

Sonata

Was getting onto the highway when my power steering gave out, was able to pull onto the side of the road away from traffic. My engine started knocking and I was unable to keep my car running. I had it towed to Hyundai in clarksville Maryland, where they stated I had engine failure and that it needed to be replaced. They are now telling me they can't replace it although it is under a recall and under the cut off mileage. They are not communicating with me about the repair of my car and have yet made any attempts to get me into a new car. At this point I don't want my car repaired, I would rather them buy my car back or put me in a new car. The car has 5 recalls that I an aware about including the engine, power steering, front seat belt latches, my brakes pedal, and front coil springs.

- Eldersburg, MD, USA

Jun 232017

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact heard an abnormal noise progressing from the area of the engine. The dealer (gurley leep Hyundai, 5302 grape rd, mishawaka, in 46545, (574) 258-7700) was notified of the failure and diagnosed that the engine assembly needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact experienced the failure related to the unknown manufacturer's engine recall, but the dealer refused to provide a solution because the vehicle was excluded. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V340000 (air bags), 15V759000 (service brakes, hydraulic), and 16V190000 (steering). The approximate failure mileage was 105. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Bloomington, IN, USA

Jun 152017

Sonata

2011 Sonata, car burns oil to black immediately. Took car in on warranty service for front knocking noise that appeared to generate from steering wheel. Replaced left transaxle, still noise took it back they replaced right transaxle. The issues with electrical still exist they've replaced the left side buttons on steering wheel even though I complained none worked correctly. Now cruise control is nonexistent. The airbag light came on at 73000 miles. Seat doesn't go all the way down. There is a definitive rattle originating from the engine and at times the rear end seems to have drag and shake. They inspected car for recall and of course they said my vehicle is unaffected but who knows how thorough their inspection actually is. I mean they represent Hyundai so why would they want to say it was bad prior to any breakdown. Right. I feel like this severe of an issue should have an independent inspection.

Jun 122017

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While making a left or right turn, the contact heard a clicking noise coming from the steering wheel. The contact called the Hyundai dealer in stockton, ca at 855-371-9460 and was informed that she needed a rubber coupling for the steering wheel. The contact was informed that the vehicle was over the mileage for the extended warranty and could not be serviced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact called the manufacturer who stated that the vehicle was over the mileage and the contact needed to pay for the repairs. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000.

- Stockton, CA, USA

May 152017

Sonata

Steering wheel / steering coupler. Steering wheel would shake and rattle when driving over a bump( all the time) or hit a certain speed or driving on a freeway.

- Montebello, CA, USA

Aug 182015

Sonata

I have had issues with this car since I purchased it and purchase the extended warranty however all it has done is help with standard oil changes. The power steering or the steering wheel rather begin making a loud clicking noise when going in reverse it would be more pronounced I took it to the dealership and after two times there they finally said oh it's the left transaxle I took the vehicle home and immediately same sound I took it to capital Hyundai and they said oh it's the right transaxle my tires have worn three times already on the front since I purchased this car in 2014 so I'm going through six tires in three years on the front end in addition to this problem I took the car in because the radio volume up button when I pressed it would initiate the phone functions of the car when I would hit cruise control resume then it would cancel the cruise control completely I told him this and they ended up replacing the left side buttons on my steering wheel but now my cruise control doesn't work at all in addition to this when I plug in iphone charger socket into the power receptacle the radio stops working and has complete interference when I pull it out the interference stops in the radio returns to normal the cooling function of the vehicle is nonexistent it blows hot air regardless until the engine gets really warm then it will blow cool air. As soon as the vehicle stops moving instance if I stop at a red light it begins blowing hot air again. When I had my oil changed in the last time I checked the oil and it was already black I took the car in for these service for the recall for the engine inspection and I feel like Hyundai is going to say there's nothing wrong with the car because they're representing Hyundai. I believe there should be an independent inspection facility to ensure that these engines are up to standard I don't believe my engine is

Jun 092017

Sonata

The steering wheel has a defective part and there is no recall. Complaints all over the internet. The steering wheel clicks when you turn or hit a bump and the steering wheel is very loose. The defective part is a "coupler" that costs $5 to buy, but they want $400 for labor. This is a common known issue and it's a safety hazard, but there's no recall. It's ridiculous. I nearly lost control hitting a bump because the steering is so loose from this defect.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jun 072017

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at any speed over a bump, the steering felt loose when the steering wheel was turned. The contact also heard a loud clicking noise. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The contact stated that the failures started approximately one month ago. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic (thomas brothers auto center located at 3034 clairemont drive, san diego, California) who diagnosed that the power steering shaft connector needed replacement. The contact was also informed of NHTSA campaign number: 10V426000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 119,000.

- Bonita, CA, USA

May 082017

Sonata

When turning there is clicking "thuds" and "clicking" sound when moving from left to right. This happens every time. I checked on other forums, a lot of users with Sonata are facing this issue.

May 172017

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving in the center lane at approximately 60 mph, the steering ability seized and it became very hard to steer. The electronic power steering and seat belt warning indicators illuminated. The contact maneuvered the vehicle to the road shoulder and turned off the engine. The vehicle was restarted and driven to the residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Mar 012016

Sonata

The airbag sign is always on. And sounds from the handle.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Nov 152016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While the contact's daughter was driving 5 mph, the engine stalled without warning. On another occasion, while the contact's daughter was driving 25 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and the vehicle failed to stop. On another occasion, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was towed to the dealer on four occasions. The vehicle was at the dealer for three months. The entire engine was replaced along with other unknown parts. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and did not provide any assistance. The failure mileage was 39,000.

- South River, NJ, USA

May 042015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled several times. There had been multiple failures concerning the six manufacturer recalls that the vehicle was included in, and the contact was uncertain of when the dealer would provide a remedy and the parts. The steering wheel made an abnormal noise and the engine had an internal failure, in which metal fragments were released, and there was a loss of oil. The contact was unable to determine what caused the oil to lower and the premature failure of the engine. The engine assembly was replaced by an independent mechanic. The dealer had been unclear as to when the remedy and parts would be available. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V190000 (steering), 17V152000 (seat belts), 15V759000 (service brakes, hydraulic), 15V568000 (engine), 14V433000 (service brakes, hydraulic) and 10V457000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was not available.

- Cathedral City, CA, USA

May 142017

Sonata

Previously reported problem with electric power steering motor-to-shaft coupling wearing out prematurely. Have received an extended warranty notice but it has already expired. Issue noticed prior to 100K miles. Dealer said $400 but no safety issue. Now they will fix it but it is past the 100K extended warranty. This should have been a no-cost recall.

- Tucson, AZ, USA