ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2012 Hyundai Sonata engine problems: engine seized

Engine Seized

2012 Hyundai Sonata (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

9.3

$4,920

1. replace engine (27 reports)
  3. trade car (1 reports)
2012 Hyundai Sonata engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Sonata:

2012 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 172017

Sonata

My 2012 Hyundai Sonata engine seized while I was driving on 10/17/2017. I was not certain of the engine seizing at the time. Therefore I, pushed the vehicle off the road to the nearest repair shop in the area. On 10/18/2017 got call about the engine seized from Steel city Repair shop in Myrtle Beach SC. My car sat at the location for 2 weeks of me investigating All 2012 Hyundai Sonata Complaints from customers. On 10/30/2017, I contacted the local Hyundai dealership in which at that time I was informed of the Engine Recall. Paid for diagnosis at Steel city $127.00 and paid Gause towing $80 to tow car to dealership.

On 11/2/2017 got a call from Dealership of the seized engine and how they were going to request approval to fix under the Hyundai engine campaign. Needless to say, the engine was installed on 11/16/2017 and now the starter and battery are bad. Apparently the starter will be replaced but the battery is now my responsibility.

I FEEL THAT I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY ANOTHER DAMN DIME!!!

TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE REPAIRS OR PAY ME FOR THE VEHICLE SO THAT I CAN GO BUY A NISSAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Katrina M., Myrtle Beach, Pacific Islands (US)

Aug 072017

click to see larger images

engine seized

Got the recall notice and it passed the inspection at 124000 miles. Engine started knocking at 154750 miles. Out of warranty so its my problem even though 1.4 million vehicles have been recalled for this problem.

- Phil T., Hemet, CA, US

Aug 012017

Sonata GLS 2.0L

I was driving my vehicle 45 MPH with my 3 children in the car and the oil pressure light flashed once and then all dash board lights came on and the car completely died and shut off. The vehicle now will not work at all. I was stranded for 2 hours with my children in the hot car until help was available.

- Ada J., Carmel, US

Jul 222017

Sonata 3.2L

I was driving home from a trip to the mountains with 4 children in the car with me. The highway became bumper to bumper I decided to get off at an exit. I started to cut over to go up ramp. The car died as I accelerated. I coasted up the ramp, stopping less than half way up the ramp. I was very shaken, thinking what could have happened had the car died in all the traffic.

The car is at the dealer. Pictures have been sent to Hyundai. We are waiting to hear if it is covered by the court ordered extended warranty.

- Jan P., Aurora, US

Jul 242017

Sonata ES 2.4L

Dealer doesn't know if hyundai will replace engine or not. I had car in to have engine checked under recall and was told everything was good.

- Dorian A., Bisbee, US

Sep 302016

Sonata LTD 2.0t

HYUNDAI OF FREEHOLD nj TOOK MY CAR FOR 3 MONTHS AND SAID THEY PUT IN A NEW ENGINE. DURING THAT TIME THEY PAID ALMOST $7000 TO ENTERPRISE RENT A CAR FOR ME TO RENT A CAR. WHEN I GOT MY CAR BACK IT LEAKED OIL ALL OVER MY DRIVEWAY AND MY NEIGHBORS DRIVEWAY. THEY FIXED THAT PROBLEM.. BAD OIL PAN. i GOT MY CAR BACK AND AFTER ABOUT 4000 MILES THE "NEW" ENGINE STALLED AND "HAS TO BE REPLACED"

i SUGGESTED THEY SHOULD BUY MY CAR BACK AT BOOK VALUE AND CREDIT ME SOMETHING TOWARD PURCHASE OF NEW CAR. THESE GENIUSES WOULD RATHER PAY FOR A LOANER FOR 3 MORE MONTHS AND FIX THE PROBLEM AGAIN.

- Alan M., Morganville, NJ, US

Jan 182017

Sonata GLS 2.4L

I bought this car brand new from Ed Voyles Hyundai in Atlanta. I've had issues with the tracking in my steering since day one.

My engine seized with the similar descriptions. While accelerating for interstate speed, the engine revved, lights blinked, and the engine stopped. Thankfully I was at the end of the on ramp and could stop safely.

Of course the engine showed now sign of oil, but I did not have any warning lights, low oil lights, or any warning at all.

Get this...my father-in-law's 2012 Hyundai Sonata seized up today. Same description, same outcome.

Ok...Class Action coming!

- Kerry J., Biloxi, MS, US

Jul 242016

Sonata Limited 2,4

I have a 2012 Hyundai Sonata 2012 2.4l turbo engine and i have driven it every day back and forth to work and never got a check engine light or oil light come on. On Sunday after my brother changed the brakes and took it out for a test drive, without any warning the engine just shut off and it is now a great hassle because I am not sure how I will be getting back and forth to work and most likely will have to get another car.

- neilny, Bronx, NY, USA

Oct 292016

Sonata Limited 2.4L

I have a 2012 Hyundai Sonata 2.0 T . Bought this car NEW. driving to Dr. this morning car cuts off on Freeway. OMG... there was a semi behind me. I lost steering controls. I finally got to side of road thinking this cant be real. its 8:30am. car will not start back up. all lights come on . but no start. IM LUCKY TO BE ALIVE THIS WAS VERY BAD. cars were coming by so fast i couldn't get out of car to raise hood. Police finally showed up and i tried to jump it nothing. Tow truck came tried to jump it and NOTHING. engine would not turn over. I am at disbelief. 37k MILESand my car DIED on freeway. I have never experienced anything like this before in my 30yrs of driving. no indication. JUST STOPPED... IF you have a Sonata please get rid of it because Its a death TRAP. just waiting to happen..I have never been so terrified in my life. Needless to say missed my Dr APPt. probably good thing My blood pressure was off the Chain i'm sure. Had car towed to dealer. Rick Case Honda in Euclid OHIO... waiting on them to Diagnose. after reading reviews HYUNDAI needs to give everyone their money back for these piece of Scrap Iron and Closed their Doors. I will up date later.

Update from Nov 3, 2016: Dealer Called to confirm the engine is LOCKED. they will be replacing Free of charge. I really don want that POS. cant wait to get it back Never buying Hyundai of any kind again.

- Marcy M., Cleveland, OH, USA

Oct 262016

Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan 2.4L I4 198hp 184ft. Lbs

I think Hyundai should offer a their full bumper to bumper an any and all items covered in the first year for 10 years / 150000 mi to everyone affected. It is not enough to just extend the drive train after replacing the motor.

- fox9397, New York, NY, USA

Aug 182016

Sonata Limited

I drive 45 minutes to work every day on a open highway between Fort Collins, CO and Cheyenne, WY. The engine could have seized at 80 MPH on the highway and I could have been standed at night on the major highways of Denver. I feel very lucky that instead it died just as I exited the freeway and about a block from the local Cheyenne Hyundai dealership.

Turns out that the engine seized and the starter melted and I had to have Hyundai tow it to the dealership. However, for other reasons I am very much in need of a car and the dealership has only said "your engine could be part of the recall" and said there was a lot of paperwork to fill out and the engines are on back order as they are tied to your VIN number. They said they would see what they could do and did list in the paperwork that I need a rental car. This happened Thursday morning and it is now Monday morning and I know nothing about the car. I have no idea when I may get the car back. A week? Two weeks? A month? When might I get approval for a rental car? There are a lot of answers I don't have and I'm not happy.

- sforand, Fort Collins, CO, USA

May 152016

Sonata SE 2.0L Turbo

I have had my 2012 Sonata 2.0L Turbo engine for 3 years now. I have kept up with all my oil changes and necessary maintenance. My last oil change was February 19, 2016. On May 16, 2016 my nephew graduated from college with his Bachelor of Arts, I am so proud of him. I digress, the morning of I went to start my car and I noticed the check engine light on which, I thought was weird. So when I started driving to the graduation I kept hearing a purring noise which was concerning. I made it to the graduation which is probably about 10 to 15 miles from my home. On the way back we started to hear a loud knocking along with that purring sound, the car also started to lose power, I was struggling to go up a small incline, which really started to scare me. I drove about another half mile down the road when the car really started stalling out and put putting luckily I was coming up on a gas station and I Pulled in. Once parked the car just shut off and it would not start again. Now I was highly irritated to put it nicely. I open the hood, and check the oil, the dip stick was bone dry. This was most surprising to me because the low oil light never once came on so I was naturally perplexed. Now I don't know much about cars but I know to keep up with oil changes, and I know that my motor sounding like the 4th of July was not a good sign and that knocking sound coupled with the stalling out and loss of power may have meant the engine was shot. The gas station attendant came over to help, I purchased 4 quarts of oil and we put it in the car. The car still did not start. Finally it started and when it did the check engine light was no longer on...hmmmm I thought. the car was purring and the knocking noise was quitter I was about 2 miles from home but I was too scared to brave it, I got a tow home, when the car was placed in my driveway, it thought let me start it and see what happens, I started it and it sounded like gun shots or something, Needless to say I was heartbroken and lost. I cried and thought and cried and thought what the hell happened to my car. How could this happen I kept up with my maintenance. I just could not fathom how this could happen so suddenly with no real warning. I started to Google which is what I do when I need answers, I was super surprise and equally angry to see that there has been a recall for this very problem. I have owned this car for 3 years, and never once did I get a notice about this. I went to Hyundai website and put my Vin number in to see my car was affected by this recall as well as 3 others. I took off the next day to call the corporate headquarters and arrange for my car to be towed to the dealer. Corporate was very nice I spoke to Matt, they opened the claim for me and instructed me to contact the closet dealership. when I gave my Vin number to Matt he said Mr. _ I said, no that is not me, well now I see why I was not contacted about the recall, but seriously what kind of practice is that?? We could have been killed in that car. I contacted the dealership set up for the car to be taken in. My own insurance company provided the tow for me. by 5/18/16 I still did not hear anything so I called the dealer. They stated they didn't have any info ion the car so they didn't look at it yet, by now I am turning red, as when I called Monday I gave all my information at that point, so I already feel like they are giving me the run around. They claim they would get back to me by the end of the day which was yesterday, I still have not heard from them, so on my break today I will contact them to se what is up. Meanwhile I am trying to find rides back and forth to work, while they act like they had no idea about whose car this was or why it was there. I will update this if I can as necessary to inform people of the outcome.

Update from Jul 15, 2016: So, the dealership did contact me the following week and they stated they would start working on the recall problem, they did set me up in a rental car. Its been since May 20th or so since they had my car, and I have not heard any news on when I am getting it back. I will keep everyone updated if anything changes.

- Malinda V., Upper Darby, PA, USA

Apr 152016

Sonata SD V6

Engine seized currently at dealer waiting diagnostics.

Update from Oct 10, 2016: Engine was replace , car now won't start

- Rachael P., Pueblo, CO, USA

Mar 032016

Sonata LTD 2.4L

click to see larger images

engine seized

I purchased a 2012 Sonata ltd with 22,000km on her back in March 2014 from Don Valley North Hyundai.

My wife drove this vehicle for the past 2 years. I took over in Dec, 2015.

This past Thursday my car died in the middle of the 401 express lane near Pickering with 75,000km.

It gave me NO warning and the dash lights came on and the car just shut down. I had no gas and could barely get out of the way of traffic. I was lucky enough to get over to the shoulder before narrowly being missed by a tractor trailer and almost losing my life.

I emailed Don Valley North, talked to the person on their chat and called them and have had ZERO reply back from anyone there. These people have ZERO accountability.

After getting this to another Hyundai dealership closer to me on Friday it turns out my engine seized due to a recall issue. The most ironic part is that I received the recall notice for machined pieces of metal getting stuck in the engine just this past Monday. 4 days after the engine seized on the Highway.

There are massive recalls in the USA plus lawsuits going on against Hyundai for the same 2011-12 and even up to 2015 models for the engine just dying on people.

Don't let this happen to you or your family. They want to replace the short block and give this car back to me howeverI narrowly escaped death in this vehicle and am scared to ever drive it again and on top of it all the people at Don Valley North Hyundai haven't even called to offer an apology, replacement or anything.

Stay away from these people and maybe even Hyundai all together.

Hyundai in the USA issued recalls on nearly 500,000 Sonata's in my model and earlier this past September, 2015 for the exact same engine issues.

Hyundai in Canada has only begun to issue these notices as of a few days ago.

Are the laws in Canada different? Are Canadian drivers lives less valuable then other places? Why wasn't my car recalled sooner to avoid this happening in the middle of the 401 express?

By the way finally after places this google review about the dealership they called me. Their reply on here is nothing short of terrible.

As of right now I am in contact with my lawyer in regards to this entire issue.

- brandonon, Toronto, ON, Canada

Dec 052015

Sonata LX 2.4L

I am very annoyed with Hyundai Canada attitude, they have recall on these problem cars, safety is first issue as car stops and you can have accident. This Hyundai people have no athletics for there customers. My car has been to authorized dealer since I bought brand new and I am the only owner. It has regular maintenance record and suddenly stopped on Dec 05 night as engine got seized. It's been week and there are still investigating the problem dealer has send pictures to warranty department and no answer so far. They have asked dealer to submit case again. I am out of car and these people have no answer to my problem no rental car and as per letter by Hyundai Canada warranty has been extended on these 2011 & 2012 models now I don't understand what's the issue to replace my car and engine which is faulty and putting my family life at risk. I regret I bought this car and advise everybody not to buy again. I request all effected people we should file case against Hyundai Canada as they are not giving any attention to this problem.

Regards

Farhan

647-702-4005

- Farhan K., Brampton, ON, Canada

Dec 012015

Sonata 2.4L

Hyundai has new RECALL Campaign 132 on the 2011 and 2012 Sonata. I purchased my car on Nov 11, 2015 on Nov 28, 2015 823 miles later, my engine starting making a metallic, cyclic knocking noise from the engine which increased in frequency as the engine rpm increases. My Check Engine Light came on. On my way to the Rick Case in Plantation, Florida on Dec 1, 2015 the car stalled and would not start. Had it towed in by Hyundai roadside assistance, it took 2 hours for the tow truck to arrive.

Dealer service center informed me on 12/2/2015 that they found Metal shavings and sludge in oil pan and claimed the engine is shot. They also said photos had been sent to Hyundai for review and to determine if this the recall issue. Which all of the above events indicate it is as noted on Hyundai's web site.

I was told by 2 customer service reps that a loaner would be provided, it was not. I called Hyundai Corp this morning Dec 3, 2015 for a status update and got no where. I live in South Florida without transportation and it seems a loaner it is not going to be provided.

I think Hyundai could do a better job with providing me with solid answers and a car to use while this issue is being resolved, after all they did produce a vehicle with safety and hazard issues. I was told by Rick Case service manager Colin Lord that it could be 5 to 6 weeks waiting for engine once the order goes in. Should I be without a car for that length of time when Hyundai produced a faulty unsafe product?

- richard spinelli, Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Jan 152015

Sonata GLS 2.4L 4cly

I Got a 2012 Hyundai Sonata it was always a good running car until one day the engine light came on and the valves started chattering. I stopped at the first oil change place I could find. They changed the oil,30 miles later the car just died going down the interstate. That tow bill cost about 260. Finally I got it to a shop and they told me the engine had seized up. I was so pissed here I sit with a car I still owe 17,000 bucks on the car. Know my mechanics telling me he can get me a engine for $2,500 plus $700 for labor. well by the time I could get the money for the motor it was gone. So the one I ended up getting cost $3180 plus $150 for shipping. So it ended up costing a total of $4135.98.

That engine lasted two weeks before the oil pump went out of it. They replaced the oil pump on it but that only lasted another two weeks before it went out again. this one had 35,000 miles on it.

The second engine had 40,000 miles on it I think. It lasted about 2,500 miles before it left me on the side of the road once again. The oil pump went out on that one two. All this started happening in January 2015 I finally got my car back for good in March. Now the engine light came on, on this one. I went got the oil changed within 5 minutes of it coming on. Don't know what's going to happen now.

I've submitted my receipts but it said it would take up to 90 days for them to contact me.

Think that's pretty sh*tty

- Rick H., Lawrenceburg, KY, USA

Sep 082015

Sonata GLS 2.4L

While driving my 2012 Sonata on local highway, left lane, 70 miles per hour, went to switch lanes, foot on accelerator and nothing. All the lights on instrument panel came on; but engine shut down. Had towed to my mechanic who informed me that the engine seized. No diagnostic codes came up. My mechanic did some research and it appears that the engine in my Sonata, 2.4 has major issues with the engine seizing and that Hyundai has ignored the problem. Has to do with the rotary assembly. He also informed me that this is a class action law suit against Hyundai.

I'm having it towed to dealership as we speak. They already have informed me of the $$$$ just to look and diagnose it.

Sad part is, it is not even paid off. UGH

- Edna B., Columbia, NJ, USA

Sep 052015

Sonata ES 2.4L

Was driving on Sunday heading down a hill when the engine stopped, all dashboard lights came on and lost all power steering and brakes. I managed to pull of to a side road and called AAA that towed my car to the dealer. They told me the engine seized and needed to be replaced.

I take good car of my car making sure to change the oil every three to five thousand miles and flushing the system, checking tire pressure etc., I bought this car for the warranty and have had nothing but problems with it especially the electronics and, navigation system, radio and camera. This however takes the cake. I was told by a Hyundai dealer that the engine replacement may or may not be covered. I sent what service records I had to them to show that I take care of the car but it seems as if there is a known history of the engine seizing in 2012 Sonata's.

I am currently paying for a rental car and hope that Hyundai will make this right and replace the engine and supply me with a loaner car but as soon as this car is fixed it will be sold and I will never drive a Hyundai again.

- Brian S., RanchoPalosVerdes, USA

Sep 012015

Sonata GL 2.4L

I cannot believe these Hyundai motherf*. The car was bought brand new in November 2011, and not even hitting 4 years old, the engine goes wacko. Mechanic tells me the engine is DONE and needs to be fully replaced. I've learned my lesson, from now on I will never buy a Hyundai again, and never finance a car again. The way everything is built nowadays is with maximum efficiency and minimum quality.We just passed the warranty by 15,000 km and they are not willing to do anything. I feel ripped off, stressed, and an idiot to think you can trust Hyunadi again.

Aside from the engine issues, the car sounds like it's a total train wreck, the suspension creaks, there's fuc rust building up on the roof of the car between the windshield and the roof. This is a flaw of design, I look at all other cars and they all have a rubber sealant in that area.

DO NOT PURCHASE HYUNDAI, THEY STILL DON'T HAVE IT TOGETHER.

- Lior K., Toroto, ON, Canada