2013 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Sonata:

2013 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 2 of 12)

May 192019

Sonata

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 65 mph, the contact heard an abnormal clicking sound and the steering wheel began to vibrate. The sound intensified when the vehicle accelerated. The dealer and manufacturer were not contacted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 155,000.

- Frenchmans Bayou, AR, USA

Apr 232019

Sonata

I was driving and as I was making a turn, the steering wheel seized. As I was trying to turn out of the turn, the wheel unseized and turned the way I was trying to turn it, but then went slack which caused the car to start drifting to the right even though I was trying to straighten out. Then I felt the steering catch and I was able to control the car as normal. I have an appointment with the dealer next week so they can check it out. This should really be a recall. It is very dangerous.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Apr 122019

Sonata

Whenever I drive over any slight bump in the road my steering wheel shakes. I took the car to get repaired and was told it was the intermediate steering shaft. This was after a wheel alignment, wheel balance, and loose tie rod was repaired. My chief complaint was that the steering wheel shakes. I was told that this repair was under the 100,000 miles warranty. After doing some research I found since I'm a secondary owner, I'm no longer under the warranty. I don't believe this type of mechanical issue should occur on a vehicle that's only 5-6 years old.

- Canton, OH, USA

Mar 012019

Sonata

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the vehicle would not identify the key fob, which prevented the vehicle from starting. The contact mentioned that when the battery cable was reset, the vehicle started. Also, while driving 65 mph, the vehicle uncontrollably steered to the left and right. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred periodically. The vehicle was taken to sussman Hyundai & genesis (1645 easton rd, willow grove, pa 19090, (215) 392-9020) where it was diagnosed that the brake sensor needed to be updated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 42,000.

- Willow Grove, PA, USA

Apr 012019

Sonata

Steering wheel makes a clunking noise when turning left or right. Small plastic steering coupler has fallen apart inside and needs replacing. Doesn't feel safe to drive. This happens with stationary or in motion. The part is 6 dollars but the labor to replace is nearly 400 dollars

- Dillsburg, PA, USA

Nov 292018

Sonata

Knocking in steering column, placing in gear (park/reverse) automatic locks not always working and back up camera blue and glitching.

- Red Lion, PA, USA

Feb 222019

Sonata

My whole power steering column gave out as soon as I hit 100,000. It was knocking as I was driving, on all streets and it felt like my steering wheel and wheels were going to fall off. My mechanic said the dealership told him they keep 22 in stock at all times, because they always give out.. that's a safety issue. We are still trying to get it fixed, not under warranty, not even extended warranty and the car is not safe to drive. This should be a recall. I'm a realtor and without a car. I'm frustrated as I've only had it a year and to trade it in I'd take a $3,000 loss. I don't even know how much to fix it.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Mar 012019

Sonata

Steering coupler was recalled and replaced at around 80,000, engine failed at 106,000ish and was replaced by Hyundai with remanufactured motor, steering is making noise again and acting exactly like before related to the steering column coupler. Noticed a lot of complaints about steering failure issues after engine replacement. Also, voiced concerns about repetitive failure of rear light bulbs and what appears to be faulty poor quality light plugs or too light of wiring for lights on car; nothing done a peacock Hyundai in columbia to check matter or remedy matter. Peacock Hyundai is now stating that the steering column has failed on a 5 year old car requesting approximately $1600 to replace on issue that is acting like coupler problem; one of the Hyundai people in the bay said that is a coupler issue and the other jumped in and said it wasn't. note: This vehicle had said coupler repaired under warranty; engine failed and was replaced at 106,000 due to shavings in engine (recall or service bulletin), now this reoccurrence of a steering issue has occurred just after the engine replacement. Just to pass this one as well; car has had two brake jobs within two years and I drive conservatively.

- West Columbia, SC, USA

Feb 122019

Sonata

Clanking noise in the steering when driving down roads any little bump it makes noiseand when turning steering wheel it has slack in tension and clacks also stationary and moving

- Madisonville, TX, USA

Jun 102018

Sonata

The rear light assembly keeps burning out the light bulb. I changed the light bulbs several times and then replaced the unit left and right side. Believe it is an electrical issue. Also, something inside the steering will is moving around.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Aug 082018

Sonata

Steering wheel get caught and feels tight then release while driving

- Citrus Springs, FL, USA

Dec 272018

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. When the contact turned the steering wheel, he heard an abnormal noise. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer to be diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 114,000.. consumer stated dealer refused to fic since it was out of warranty. Consumer took it to the local dealer and was quoted $200. Dealer mentioned safety issue if consumer kept driving, steering wheel might malfunciton and would lose control of the vehicle. Vehicle was repaired.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 112019

Sonata

Steering wheel noise/clunk. I am experiencing a noise in the steering wheel. After research I saw alot of people reporting the same issue on you tube. A friend of mine who has the same model had the same issue and had it fixed. Looks like it's a common issue on this model cars.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Dec 102018

Sonata

Cannot enter car from key remote. Then cranking the car became a real problem especially after it got heated. Not able to start car once it cut off.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 202018

Sonata

Steering is sticky at highway speeds making it difficult to drive in a straight line.11

- Warwick, RI, USA

Dec 182018

Sonata

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 67 mph, the steering lost power and pulled to the left. The vehicle was pulled over to the side of the road and taken to brown's manassas Hyundai (703-361-9600, located at 8651 centreville rd, manassas, va 20110). The dealer replaced the steering coupling, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,700.

- Deland, FL, USA

Dec 292018

Sonata

Streering wheel making a thumping sound when its turned to left or right while car is on. Mechanic suggested it was possibly the bushings and mentioned their may have been a recall on this issue.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Dec 102018

Sonata

Ever since I had bought this car, I have had issues on top of issues with it. I have already changed 4 headlights and one of the rear lights, had to replace the battery, my steering wheel was clicking for months until Firestone told me there was a recall on my steering wheel, my car had multiple recalls on it and I did not know until October of 2018 (no letter was sent to me), and then my engine seized up 2 times on the highway! once back in October when I learned about the re-calls and again on December 10th, 2018 in which I had to wait 3 hours in the cold for a tow truck that then cost $50. I keep all my receipts for anything that is done to the car, even oil changes. Also back in October when I took my car in to resolve the recalls, my engine passed a local Hyundai dealerships test even though it seized up. Nothing was done until this week after the second time it seized up on 12/10/18. This is my 3rd car I have ever owned, first a 2005 Nissan Altima, and then a 2015 Dodge dart (lease) and now this Hyundai Sonata. Out of all the cars that I have owned, this car has given me the most issues. On top of the issues I have listed above, the heat/air conditioning does not even turn off properly. If I knew that I was going to run into this many issues I would have never purchased a Hyundai. I am a single full time student who also works full time and I own my own house. I do not have any type of money to keep forking out on this car. Currently lancaster Hyundai is replacing my engine, but honestly, I wish I had a new car with all these added expenses. I paid $15,183.15 on this car, I still owe $11,705 on this car and it should not have any issues. This car is only 5 years old and this is the worst experience I have ever had. The issues are currently being fixed at my local Hyundai but I would rather get a new car, too bad I owe so much.

- Columbia, PA, USA

Nov 282018

Sonata

My steering wheel started to feel a little loose and started making a thumping noise when steering left or right. It does this only when the car is in idle or while been driven, does not do this when turned off. I was just told by a local mechanic the entire steering column will need to be replaced.

- Sugar Hill, GA, USA

Oct 022017

Sonata

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that after the vehicle was repaired per an unknown recall regarding the steering, the electronic power steering failed. The recall repair was performed by simmons rockwell Hyundai (784 county rd 64, elmira, NY 14903, (607) 796-5555). The contact noticed that the steering wheel was very loose and the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN and failure mileage were not available.

- Hornell, NY, USA