2013 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Sonata:

2013 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 12)

Feb 012017

Sonata

Immediately after purchasing my 2013 Hyundai Sonata, le, 2.0 T, in September 2013, the steering mechanism displayed slack and a clicking, thumping noise when in ¿drive¿ or ¿park¿ position, and whenever prodding the steering wheel in either direction. Shortly thereafter, I took my vehicle into the Hyundai of long island city dealership, where I had purchased it, and was dismissively told this was normal due to "vehicle's sophisticated electronic steering". over ensuing years, and while vehicle was still under its 5-year/60,000 mile warranty, the problem became progressively worse, eventually leading to replacement of its damaged ¿flexible steering coupling¿ [part 56315-2K000-fff] on 08/27/19, but said repair did not correct persistent steering gear assembly problem, necessitating replacement part 56500-3Q400! respectfully, I believe this prevalent, ongoing steering gear problem should become an NHTSA ¿recall¿ or a Hyundai technical service bulletin (tsb), since thousands of Hyundai Sonata owners are experiencing this same problem, many past their warranty periods, which is exactly how the common ¿flexible steering coupling¿ defect recently became a tsb, and why such repairs are now being made and honored on certain vehicles past their warranty periods. I believe that my steering gear assembly problem should have been properly addressed when I first presented the issue to the dealership, back in 2013, and while my vehicle was still under its warranty! please help us investigate this vehicle's serious, widespread mechanical design/manufacturing problem, and please order or convince Hyundai motor America to cover this repair of approximately $1,200, beyond its warranty. Thank you for your prompt assistance regarding this important public safety concern, which continues to affect countless Hyundai Sonata vehicles and their owners throughout the usa.

- New York, NY, USA

Aug 202019

Sonata

About a week ago my steering started making a clicking sound when you turn the wheel or hit a small bump in the road. I have had my car for 2 years and 4 days. I have taken it for every recall and had my oil changed like I¿M suppose to. It's just odd that it started making this noise out of the blue. Is there a recall on the steering? I know this isn¿T normal for a cars steering to make noises.

- Lexington, AL, USA

Aug 232019

Sonata

Loud pop when turning a corner and then considerable shaking of the steering wheel after that.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Jul 272019

Sonata

Takata recall, I¿ve been experiencing brakes, my steering wheel shakes when I brake, and the exterior lights my tail lights are going off and on. All these issues were from January of 2019 current date July 27, 2019. I have taken my vehicle to the dealership and mavis tire. I got a new axle, brakes, routers, new tail lights nothing is working. It's been long overdue. Hyundai dealer wants a total of $1700 to fix. I refuse when I verbal told them there are complaint from all vehicle owners that had the same module vehicle as me. I looked and there is no recall on these issues. I told them I have three little kids and I don¿T feel safe driving my car anywhere because of these issues. Hyundai refuse to help!!!

- Norristown, PA, USA

Jul 232019

Sonata

Yesterday, I noticed driving that 3 sensors came on in my car. The sensors were ABS, ecs, and low tire pressure. I called my dealership immediately and stated the problem the gentleman told me to come in Thursday July 25th 2019 and that it will be free of charge for a diagnostic. Thursday morning I awoke and travel 30 minutes away to the dealership. Upon 15 minutes from my departure a 4th light illuminated on my dashboard (eps) I begin to feel tension in my steering wheel. Once I arrived at the dealership I informed them that during my route here another light came on which turned out to be electric power steering. He informed me that it was a bad ABS speed sensor and that the cost of the repair would amount to roughly $600 R. we asked two of the employees if it was safe for us to even drive they both stated yes I departed from the dealership and once I merged onto the highway my heart dropped as I seen a new light illuminate on my dashboard and it just so happened to be my check engine light my steering wheel felt as if it locked up on me I went to press the brakes and the pedal went to the ground I was about 20 ft behind another vehicle if it wasn't for the shoulder I would have crashed not only were myself and my fiancÉ's life at risk but my unborn child also and the innocent civilians in the vehicle in front of me that I would have rear ended at 60 miles per hour this has me very upset and anxious being I almost got in a serious accident 2 week before my expected due date. I feel this is very unsafe and no car should be doing this unexpectedly, with no accidents or damage to the car. I don't know what else to do. Thank you sincerely, kaitlyn popko

- Canton, OH, USA

Sonata

Steering coupler wears out causes vehicle to turn out of control and out of line hard to get to when trying to get it fixed

- Lowell, NC, USA

Jul 112019

Sonata

In the evening of 07/11/2019 I was driving my 2013 Hyundai santa on the bishop Ford expressway, when smoke began to come out of the hood. I pulled over to the shoulder, and at that time, my car was completely filled with black smoke, and the brakes completely failed, foot went right to the floor. The car coasted until it finally stopped. By this time, the car was in fire. I was able to exit before it completely engulfed in flames. There was no warning to me that this car was going to start on fire. I had the engine replaced 2 years ago because of engine failure. Two engines in 6 years is definitely not normal. I could have been killed in that car.. Hyundai needs to take responsibility.

- Schererville, IN, USA

May 012019

Sonata

Steering wheel sticks at top dead center and sticks at various positions when on a slow curve at 45 mph or more. Sometimes at slower speeds. This issue is prevalent in online discussions. This is dangerous as you overcorrect when it sticks and may cause an accident. The steering coupler has already been replaced and is not the problem. Dangerous issue!

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 152019

Sonata

Steering making clunking noise when turned. It's the small coupler in the steering column. Many have this problem and it should be recalled. Makes steering loose and unsafe

- Palmetto, FL, USA

Jul 032019

Sonata

Steering coupler failing. Steering makes a clunking noise when turned.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jun 152019

Sonata

Coupler in the steering. Making noise and lose, research done and found quite a few complaints about this problem. It is very dangerous and the car could loose control at any time.

- Portland, CT, USA

Sonata

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at an unknown speed, the contact heard an abnormal popping noise coming from the steering wheel. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The dealer and manufacturer were not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 83,000.

- Tallassee, AL, USA

Apr 012019

Sonata

For a while the wheels on the car have been making a juggling noise when going over any type of road that isn¿T completely flat. After taking it to two auto shops and asking them to test drive they said it was the coupler in the steering. Upon that there was research done and found quite a few complaints about this problem. It is very dangerous and the car could loose control at any time.

- Reading, PA, USA

Jun 252019

Sonata

Takata recall my motor driven power steering assembly contains a flexible rubber coupling which may wear over time resulting in a slight clicking and thus sound and also makes it hard to steer at times, while turning the wheel.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 032019

Sonata

The steering has too much play when turning out of a parking space, and when riding ahead. The steering clicks and sticks intermittently while driving in turning left or right. Steering feels heavy.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Apr 072019

Sonata

Purchased a 2013 Hyundai Sonata around April of 2019. Noticed a slight clunking noise when turning steering wheel left or right immediately after purchase. Took it to the Hyundai dealership in chambersburg pa. They took care of 2 open recalls. Then they asked if we wanted to fix the clunking noise in the steering wheel & said there were no current recalls for it yet. The noise has changed to a louder more constant noise at all speeds and road conditions that is really annoying & makes us fear that there is a more extensive problem. Found out that the 2011 models had a recall for the problem & are very concerned about our vehicle. We drive a lot on interstates & do not want to risk a loss of steering. We have grandchildren that are babies! please help!

- Waynesboro, PA, USA

Sonata

There is a pronounced shimmy in the steering when the car is both moving and standing still. This is particularly noticeable when you hit a bump. It feels like there is something loose or disconnected in the steering system. This causes me great concern in that whatever is holding the steering system together appears to have either broken, loosened, or is compromised in some way. My vehicle has been experiencing this since approximately 17000 miles. The same malfunction has been reported numerous times on various websites on the internet, one case in which the steering simply seized up. My mechanic says this should have been recalled and that it needs to be fixed immediately or I could literally kill myself if the steering fails at high speed.

- Ocean, NJ, USA

Apr 012019

Sonata

Steering wheel shakes, makes a clicking noise with the slightest turn or move of the wheel, vibrates and makes a loud noise when going over the slightest bump. Sounds as if something is loose with the steering component. Feels like it's about to fall off. Steering wheel feels loose. Started at about 70,000 miles. Concerned it is a real safety hazard....do not feel safe driving this vehicle anymore. Something has to be done as I see a lot of complaints about the same thing.

- East Haven, CT, USA

May 102019

Sonata

Clicking noise when steering wheel is turned. Rattles and vibrates while driving. Control while driving seems loose. 72,000 miles, secondary owner - not covered by warranty.

- Gloversville, NY, USA

Mar 152019

Sonata

Steering coupler has gone bad. This is a critical safety component which has a long history of being defective on Hyundai vehicles. I also have a 2011 Hyundai that had to have this item replaced. Although this has had the warranty extended this item should be added to the long list of recalled items on these vehicles.

- Wetumpka, AL, USA