9.1

$4,500

1. replace engine (17 reports)
2012 Hyundai Tucson engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Tucson:

2012 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments

Jun 272020

Tucson GLS 2.4L 4 cyls

Using car in the morning, everything was ok. Take vehicle afternoon, drive about two blocks, engine start making a noise. Stop the vehicle, turn off, starting again, still noisy, look on dashboard, no check engine light on, nothing. Look under if is no leak, check out oil level, all looks fine, but noise.

Take car to the dealer after couple days, do some checking , after couple of days, verdict.... You need a new engine. And approximately around $6000 to fixed, to change the engine. Not covered by warranty, not a first owner, even just 56000 miles on it. Really don't know what to do with that point.

Update from Jul 21, 2020: Year ago engine light was on, fixed by Hyundai dealer, don't remember exactly, but it was some small engine was changed, cost me $600, trunk door holders was replaced, by myself... Hood in front staring to rust, some paint peeled from spoiler.. So I think Hyundai Motor should do something with all off issues, but with engine failure first....

- Alexander S., Jersey City, US

Jul 262019

Tucson 2.4L

I got in the car to go to work in the AM, started the engine and let it warm up for a couple of minutes. I drove about 1/4 mile and heard engine noise along with the engine light coming on. I quickly turned around and drove back home. I had it towed to my mechanic. He told me the connecting rod bearings had failed (he showed me two rods) and I needed an engine replacement. He quoted a used engine with labor for $4500. I bought this car to replace my Ford Escape which had over 150,000 miles on it. I should have kept the Ford. Anybody know of any recalls on this? I looked on line and can't seem to find anything.

- Athan S., Ewing, NJ, US

Jul 232018

Tucson Limited AWD 2.4L V4

On July 23, 2018 I was driving back from a weekend trip to the USA. I was on a freeway in New Jersey in my Hyundai Tucson with my wife and then suddenly and without warning the engine started making loud knocking sounds, the check engine light turned on, and the car started losing power. Luckily I was near an exit so I immediately pulled over and the, the engine lost complete power. Luckily I had AAA/CAA so I got towed to the nearest approved repair shop. The mechanic did some tests and broke me the terrible news - the engine needs to be replaced and will cost at least $5000 to fix because my warranty had expired. I'm on disability, so have zero funds to cover this expensive repairs cost. I called Hyundai, told them the situation, but they told me they can't help me at all because I'm out of warranty.

My wife and I had to incur extra expenses on a credit card to stay in a hotel one night and to rent a car back to Toronto, and my wife lost a day’s pay from work. On Tuesday we had no choice but to leave my car behind at the repair shop because my wife had to go back to work the day after.

- canadian, Toronto, ON, Canada

Oct 172018

Tucson GLS 2.4L

I bought this vehicle with 81k miles which appeared to be in mint condition, ran the case fax and was satisfied with he purchase price (high end of KBB). Drove it for 40 days and 2k miles before the engine started knocking horribly. The dealer warranty was for 30 days or 1k miles, so they were not listening to anything we said.

Had it hauled to the dealer who said that we needed a new engine, the main bearings failed. No warranty existed (beyond 60k and 2nd owner) nor was there any recall. The quote for a long block was $4500 plus labor, but the engine was on nationwide back-order. I owe nearly $8k on a POS that will cost another $6k to repair. WTF Hyundai? The more research I do leads me to the same conclusion as everyone else, why isn't this motor included in the Sonata recall?

I have been calling all over the US for a used or remanufactured motor and the reman unit is $3500, with a used (76k) motor running $3200 with labor being additional. My co-worker just had her 2014 Kia Sorento motor replaced for the same issue by Kia (130k miles) at no charge, aren't these the same company??

- Donald D., Pennsville, US

Jan 032019

Tucson GL 2.4L V4

Car developed knock and lost power on the highway. Our mechanic said: connecting rod bearings failed. Hyundai dealer mechanic confirmed the engine had failed and required replacement: $5600 Canadian for a used engine installed. We asked Hyundai to pay for it and they said no (car out of warranty). We have written a formal appeal. We also lodged a formal safety complaint with Transport Canada. They called me today to follow up because they have received similar complaints about the Tucson. Their mechanics are going to look at the car, which is encouraging.

EVERY CANADIAN READING THIS NEEDS TO LODGE THEIR ENGINE FAILURE ONLINE WITH TRANSPORT CANADA. This is a major opportunity for us to be heard and a case in which the Canadian government appears to be ahead of the U.S..

- Clifford M.,

Jan 242019

Tucson Limited 2.4L

2012 Hyundai Tucson Limited. The engine has started knocking. Stupid Hyundai has given me problems the last 5 years I have owned this stupid vehicle. First, it was a guessing game if it was going to start, fixed that. Then the transmission went out completely, and that left me stranded. NOW... the engine is knocking. Do NOT get a Hyundai.....ever! Worst freaking car.

- Morgan H., BROKEN ARROW, OK, US

Dec 252018

Tucson LX

On Dec 25, 2018, my 2012 Hyundai Tuscon with 88000 miles started rattling in the engine. Checked the oil and anti-freeze, no issues. After traveling about 3 miles, as I tried to accelerate, the gas pedal on the floor, the car just coasted to a stop. It was still running but not able to accelerate. After pulling over, I turned the car off. Lights and radio still worked but would not crank.

Towed it to a mechanic and was told the engine froze. Cost in excess of 6K. Still owe close to 9k on the car. A total waste. Car is well maintained, new tires, interior spotless, but engine gone. Because its used, the 100k engine warranty doesn't apply. WILL NEVER BUY A HYUNDAI AGAIN!!!

- Cathy S., Alpharetta, GA, US

Jul 292018

Tucson Limited 2.4L

On July 29, 2018 I attempted to pass a car at about 40 mph (speed limit on the road was 50 mph) and as I accelerated my Tucson stopped accelerating right around 50 mph. I gradually pushed the gas pedal more and more to get past the car, until I had the pedal all the way to the floor… and nothing! My vehicle was making this awful winding noise like it was trying to shift gears but couldn't, and at this point I’m panicking because I can’t get past the car I was attempting to pass in the 1st place… I'm basically playing chicken with this other car. On top of that there's another car coming towards me while I was in the passing lane (2 lane road, and yes I was in a passing zone). I had my daughter in the car with me, so needless to say I am more than freaking out at this point, because I could get past the other car.

I finally did get past the other car (mainly because he slowed down away from me), and I started pulling over on the side of the road. All of my dashboard lights came on and everything started dinging. Even after slowing down and moving to the side of the road the engine was still revving like it was accelerating, but I was slowing down…. So that was scary. I turned the car off, waited a few minutes and tried to restart. It sputtered at start, but did come on and all the lights went away. I went straight home and didn’t touch the car, but the next day while going into work the engine was making awful winding and clanking noises. I brought it into the dealer, and after being there for several days, they said it was the engine bearing and I needed a NEW ENGINE.

Luckily I do have an extended warranty that is covering it, but after doing some research I see that this is a huge issue for Hyundai vehicles. Apparently the Sonatas had a recall for this same issue with the 2.4 L engines but not the Tucson. As of today, my car is still at the dealer, and Hyundai has pushed the ETA of my motor out to November due to a “National Parts Back Order”. I was supposed to get my engine originally on 9/10. Then it was pushed to 10/10, then to 11/11, and as of the email I received from Hyundai Corporate this afternoon, it is being pushed out again to the 3rd week in November. There are others that have been waiting for engines for 8 months, so I’m not stupid enough to think that I will get my engine before them.

Also, the dealer did have me in a loaner until they realized I wasn’t getting my engine anytime soon, and said that they couldn’t let me stay in it, because I was depreciating the value. I’m currently in a rental for the last 2.5 weeks, and with a call to Hyundai Corporate they said they will reimburse me the rental fees every 30 days. Also, once I get my car back, they will reimburse my car payments for all of the months that it was sitting at the dealer waiting for my engine. Very kind of them!!! I’m assuming they are trying to play nice, since they know there’s a HUGE ISSUE with their cars.

- Heather L., Biddeford, US

Jun 062018

Tucson 2.4L

In early June of this year I was driving on I-35 and my 2012 Tucson died in the middle of the road. It was as if it had stopped getting gas. I was able to maneuver to the service road where I called my insurance co. They provided me with tow service and I towed the vehicle to Ovilla, TX. The truck driver was able to get the car started and drove it off the tow truck. For the next couple of days my grandson drove the Tucson trying to recreate the problem. While he was on I-35 in the Lancaster/DeSoto TX area, the car emitted a puff of smoke. He stopped and found fire coming out of the tailpipe. He grabbed a bottle of water to put the fire out. That time I had the vehicle towed to the Hyundai dealership on I-20. Jeremy White, Lic# 2364, ran some type of diagnostic test on it and declared the motor dead. But, there was still no information as to what caused the problem. I have been reading where this is becoming more common with the Hyundai and Kia vehicles. I want it noted that I believe the problem is due to a manufacturing problem and would appreciate Hyundai replacing the engine for free.

- vmccalla1216, Waxahachie, US

Jul 192018

Tucson Limited 2.4L

WAS SOLD THIS CAR BY THE DEALER ON THE ASSURANCE THAT THIS LIMITED EDITION IS THE BEST HYUNDAI EVER. I BOUGHT IT BRAND NEW AND MAINTAINED IT LIKE A BABY. ONE DAY ALL OF THE SUDDEN THE ENGINE STOPPED FUNCTIONING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HIGHWAY. LUCKILY I WAS ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD.

TOWED THE CAR TO A GARAGE WHEN THEY CALLED ME THE NEXT DAY TO TELL ME THAT THE ENGINE NEEDS REPLACEMENT AND THE COST IS $6500. IT'S NOT EVEN THE WORTH OF THE CAR BUT ALL OF A SUDDEN I AM LEFT WITHOUT THE CAR AND DAILY COMMUTE TO THE WORK WILL NOT BE EASY.

THE MECHANIC TOLD ME THAT HYUNDAI IS NOTORIOUSLY KNOWN FOR ENGINE PROBLEM AND I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE. THE CAR HAS HAD MULTIPLE SMALLER ISSUES BEFORE AS WELL WHILE IN WARRANTY AND I AM NOW CONVINCED NOT TO BUY OR RECOMMEND HYUNDAI TO ANYONE.

- Nitin A., Southampton, PA, US

Jul 302018

Tucson GLS 2.4L

Purchased this used Tucson about 10 months ago, put 8000 miles on it since then. On my way to Arizona from Kansas at 130 in the morning I thought I ran over something as the engine and car jerked all over, then I heard the rod knocking. Seemed to have spun a rod bearing but lucky for me I was going about 70 mph and rather than kill the engine it spun the bearing as I was about 5 miles from the closest town in New Mexico....Logan. Found out there isn't much in New Mexico when it comes to getting stranded....beautiful state. Finally ended up spending $850 to rent a U Haul 20 foot truck and trailer to tow the car back home at 9 miles per gallon.

I have driven vehicles for 44 years and never had an engine destroy itself. Come to find out Hyundai is repairing the Sonatas but not the 2.4 liter engine in the Tucson or Santa Fe. What in the world is going on here. Long story short, I will never buy another Hyundai again. And yes, I had Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter and the engine was to the full mark! Read that the issue was caused when machine work on the crankshaft was done on the oil passages. All the metal wasn't cleaned out. Still owe $2300 on this thing. Buyer beware!

- Mark M., Canton, US

May 192018

Tucson GLS 2.4L

I purchased a 2012 Hyundai Tucson in July 2013. It is barely 6 years old. As I was driving down the highway, my engine blew, almost causing an accident. I sat on the side of the road for over an hour waiting on a tow truck. Of course there is no "recall" for this but as I am seeing with several lawsuits online, there SHOULD BE!! There is no reason for engine failure for a vehicle this new.

Shame on you Hyundai for putting peoples lives in danger with faulty engines and doing nothing to make things right!!! I still owe on this vehicle and it is still in the shop for repair and has been for 3 weeks. My mechanic said he has never seen a motor blow on a vehicle this age. I am having to pay $4500 for a motor on top of the loan I already have on a vehicle I cannot even drive!!! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED!

- Heather T., Brasstown, US

Mar 232018

Tucson Limited 2.4L

I have a 2012 Hyundai Tuscon Limited with 115,000 miles that needs an engine replacement. I have noticed for the last year or longer that the engine has been clicking but didn't think much about it until last week. I took my car to AutoZone because my Malfunction indicator light came on. All in one day the light pops on and I'm driving down the road with feeling like my car was a bucking bronco and they said it may need a transmission flush. I went to drop it off at the mechanic to look at. He test drove it and said that the engine needed to be replaced. That floored me so I went to have a second opinion (of which the guy worked at Hyundai before this place and told me it was probably the same engine that he had seen over and over again with issues and that they were extending warranties over) and finally had to have it towed in to the Hyundai dealership.

They have now had it for over a week and have given me the same run around as others I have looked up on the Internet with same engine issues .... 2nd owner which only warranties the car for 60,000 miles which I was never told by the Hyundai dealership upon buying it from them.

It was a lease before me and they have all the records of the service as well as I have all of my records and nothing can warrant a bad engine except the fact that they have recalled so many defective engines!! It's clearly a faulty manufacturing issue out of the Hyundai manufacturing plant so why should we have to pay for their mistakes.

Has anyone been able to get the dealer to cover their engine replacement? I believe that a class action lawsuit should be started up against Hyundai and wanted to know if anyone else had seen or heard of anything like this yet?

I bought the Hyundai with the assumption that they were a great car manufacturer and that I shouldn't have any issues out of my car for years and years! Especially not a bad engine! Super disappointed and am waiting to see how they respond.

- Tina M., Lancaster, US

Oct 012017

Tucson GL 2.4L

Engine died while passing car transport truck heading for us, just got off the road in time. Could have been killed. told Hyundai Canada. Did not care will not help to see why this happened. Still have 3 years to pay on a car i can not drive.

- derekbon, Stratford, ON, Canada

Aug 252017

Tucson GLS Theta Ii 2.4L

click to see larger images

engine failure engine failure engine failure engine failure

2012 Hyundai Tucson. The same Theta II engine that Hyundai has recalled over half a million vehicles for engine failure. Bearing prematurely breaking down. You can clearly see in my photos all the metal found inside. My vehicle ultimately had the engine seize. After fighting with Hyundai they refuse to cover it because I am a second owner, just 6 months past warranty. Hyundai needs to own up to their failure. The Theta II engine is the same in many of their vehicles, has nothing to do with the body style. Hyundai needs to recall the rest of their Theta II engines, not just pick and choose.

- Amanda F., Monroe, US

Aug 162017

Tucson 2.4L

Bought a certified pre owned 2012 Hyundai Tucson from Westlan Hyundai in Utah. Regularly maintained. At 71000 miles vehicle dies on the side of the Freeway I15. Wife calls and I cruise out. Engine has a horrible knocking sound. I get it into the shop and torn apart to find the oil pan coated with metal shavings, and connecting rod for cylinder 1 is loose at the bearing. I tear in some more and main bearing number five has also spun. Hyundai will do nothing about it, even though it is the same engine as the massive 2011 2012 Sonata engine recall.

- trevillian, Brigham City, US

Jun 152017

Tucson GLS

All of a sudden with no warning, engine lights went on. Pulled over and towed to dealership where told misfiring cylinder caused bearing to break and ruin engine and not under warranty! Car is 5 years old and we had 6 year financing so still owe 4900! The car is not worth as much as the cost of the repair and Hyundai is willing to do nothing. Sold a lemon!

- amyon, Oakville, ON, Canada

Mar 092017

Tucson

I purchased this car used in July 2016- it has remote start. By December it was in the shop FOUR times because the car would not start. I also noticed it would "rev" up but not go anywhere while driving it. In March while driving on the highway the car completely lost power... after review - I was told the engine blew and would be fixed at no charge.... it took almost 3 weeks for the repairs. Now it's back in the shop-- as the "revving" problem---NOT HAPPY.

- Kimberly J., Ridley Park, PA, US