2017 Hyundai Tucson transmission problems: hesitates when starting from a stop

Hesitates When Starting From A Stop

2017 Hyundai Tucson (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

8.2

2017 Hyundai Tucson transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Hyundai Tucson:

2017 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 012019

Tucson AWD Value 4dr SUV 1.6l14 Turbocharger

• CVT transmission

I TOOK it to Circle Hyundai in Shrewsbury, NJ and they ran it through computer, tried to simulate the situation, and said they couldn't. Meanwhile the sales person that drove it into the garage felt the same hesitation as i am experiencing. This is annoy, and my friend has a 2019 Hyundai Tuscon and it does not have this issue. Whether Hyundai knew, and made adjustments in the following years, they should recall the 2017 and fix the issue. Frightening, when I am by a railroad. Also the car stalled while in traffic when I ran the air conditioner. I have such mixed emotions about this car. SOMEONE needs to step up and take responsibility before someone seriously gets hurt.

- Joanne L., Keyport, NJ, US

Jan 032018

Tucson Limited 2.0L

Like many others in this forum, we have had endless problems with the acceleration of our Hyundai Tucson. We first started noticing the issue within the first 3-4 months of owning the vehicle and it has been an issue ever since. We took it in about 3 different times to our dealership for this problem, and at first, they weren't able to replicate the problem or get any error codes from scanning it with their diagnostic tool. They told us that it was us driving it improperly, and that we should watch a video on how to drive a duel-clutch-transmission vehicle. We knew it wasn't the DCT because of how inconsistent the problem was. The service manager told us to bring it in next time we noticed the problem so he could experience it firsthand. We did exactly that, and the service manager acknowledged the issue, in writing on our file. They finally deemed our transmission faulty, and replaced it after about 60,000km worth of driving. Once the transmission was replaced, the hesitation/lag went away for an about 3-4 months, until just recently, the hesitation came back. This problem is a HUGE safety concern and if we weren't still making payments on it, I'd be tempted to send it to the wreckers. We've had multiple occasions where we have NEARLY been t-boned because of the lag/hesitation when making a left turn in traffic. This has lawsuit written all over it. What's next?

- Rob C., London, ON, Canada

Sep 012018

Tucson Sport 1.6L

Approx Sept 2018 I started to notice my 2017 Tucson jerk and or hesitate to accelerate from the stop or idle position. At first it was subtle. Then it advanced to more of a "shudder". On a "good" day it is noticeable, however on a "bad" day it feels like the transmission is going to "drop" from the car. It has on 2 occasions "lunged in a jerk motion" which I immediately hit the brake to prevent hitting the car in front of me. I made an appt with the service dept at the dealer (they have been as helpful as they possible can be, no complaints .. yet) for this concern. I was informed they were able to "capture" this issue. They transmitted the captured information to the department that it needs to go to for approval on repairs. The individual that reads the information determined that my car was within the "Norm for shifting". The issue was not resolved.

This is my 4th Hyundai. I have been pleased with my other Hyundai's (they had what I refer to as "Nuisances", rear brake lighting assembly replacement, sounds from the passenger side that cause the A/C to not work, etc). This is the 2nd Tucson I have owned. My concerns are that if this jerkiness or lunging causes me to hit another car - insurance can handle it (we are adults) however if this jerkiness / lunging causes me to his a pedestrian - well, I think any rational person can see my concerns. I contacted "Sheree" at the Fountain Valley Office, I informed her of my concerns, she assigned me a "case number" and informed me that someone would contact me within 3-5 days. So we will see ....

Update from Jan 12, 2019: The corporate office located in Orange County Calif was contacted. They took the car for approx 5 days or so. They were not able to "replicate" the concern. I got my car back with it documented it was "Safe to Drive". I left a VM for the same person to let them know it was still doing the "same thing". Due to them not being able to replicate the problem there was nothing left for me to do.

- Heather G., Chino HIlls, US

Jun 012017

Tucson Limited

Right away after I purchased a new 2017 Hyundai Tuscon Limited I felt acceleration problems - when I would make a turn I would get stuck in middle of intersection. Took it right away to dealership they said its a dual clutch system and that's why that happens.

After several months started shaking badly - went to 2 different Hyundai service to have them check it out- I called corporate and she sent me to a 3rd place - all I asked was to get out of my lease - no compensation just end my lease early - this car is SO NOT SAFE. at dealership now again and the mechanic stated this is the 3rd one within the last month with same problem - he says needs new transmission -

I will not pay for this nor do I want this car anymore. Corporate is terrible and would be cheaper for them to end the lease than to repair

- Moriah W., Los Angeles, CA, US

Nov 172018

• CVT transmission

This is the worst car I have ever had. Shutters, slow on take off. Will most likely get killed in this car. Only had car since Nov 2018. Hate this car.

- Theresa R., Orange, US

Jul 032017

Tucson Sport 4L

This is another complaint about my car hesitating from a stop, just like all the other complaints. I am very upset because I consider this problem to a safety issue. I have contacted HFMUSA and Hyundai consumer affairs and just say they are not able to help and that I should contact the other. In other words, they just pass the buck. I will never purchase another Hyundai. This is a crap company.

- lwrightjr1025, AMESBURY, US

Jan 232018

Tucson Sport

After I bought my car, transmission was cutting off while driving on highways and especially while making left turns.

Recently during long weekend I was out with my family on vacation and in middle of road I was taking U-Turn and for a second my transmission got cut off and all of a sudden car pulled forward immediately and to family luck we missed a Major accident.

I gave 2 complaints to service center and every time I got the same response from service team that this is known issue with dual clutch and if you want we can trade your car. And i was not expecting this answer from Hyundai team.

If everybody in Hyundai is aware about this issue why wouldn't they recall it and fix the issue rather playing with customer Life. I also asked dealer that are you sort of experimenting with customer life. And we need answers to resolve our issue rather than trading and losing our hard earned money.

After so many months today 11/27/2108 representative from Hyundai called me and says that as per state law that my complaint doesn't qualify for repurchase or replacement under the Law. When asked for escalation path representative said that she is the highest point of contact and there couldn't be any further action from their end.

My point is, when this many people are complaining about the issue why Hyundai is not taking any action to fix the design flaw. Are they waiting someone to get into accident and then work on fixing the issue?

- Vj M., BLUFFDALE, UT, US

Jul 092018

Tucson SE Plus FWD 2.Ol 4 cyl

Reported this issue to the dealership who has had it twice. Second time with a VERY detailed account of every time the transmission acted oddly. I have been told that there is a replacement transmission for the Tucson but the dealerships first have to make our Tucson's qualify. I have had someone go road rage on me and I reported that to Hyundai as well. I also reported this all to Consumer Complaint div of Hyundai who has denied buying my car back BUT they want to inspect it with an engineer. I am waiting for a reply as to why. I believe the issue has a lot to do with weather conditions.

Update from May 17, 2019: 5/2019: Issue has returned just has I thought it would with the heat. Dealership wants to put a recorder on the car so when it does happen again I push the button and it records the computer settings. Service manager does not think it is the transmission but a vaper issue.

- klamons, Indio, US

Jun 252018

Tucson

EVERY TIME I STOP THE CAR AND PUSH THE GAS, THE GAR JERKS. IT FEELS AS IF THE TRANSMISSION IS SLIPPING ALREADY. THIS IS A NEW CAR UNDER WARRANTY. I WORK IN REAL ESTATE AND IT IS EMBARRASSING, VERY FRUSTRATING AND DANGEROUS. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

HYUNDAI HAS NOT DONE ANYTHING TO RECTIFY THIS PROBLEM. THE CAR IS LESS THAN A YEAR OLD. THERE NEEDS TO BE SOME SORT OF RECALL OR ACCOUNTABILITY. PLEASE HELP.

HAS ANYONE HAD ANY SUCCESS FIXING THIS ISSUE?

- Robert E., TORONTO, ON, Canada

Jul 182018

Tucson ECO 1.6L

Noticed a shuttering when starting from a complete stop to accelerating when moving forward. Problem was brought to the attention of the service manager at Hyundai during servicing. Service manager told us that it was normal with the 7 speed transmission. I have never heard that when a problem which occurs 1 year from being a new vehicle being a normal problem we have to live with. This is the same service manager who tried to sell us a battery, which was fine on a 2 year old Sonata.

- Stanley D., Fairhope, AL, US

Oct 022017

Tucson Night 1.6L Turbo

I love everything about my Hyundai Tucson, however the transmission issues are horrible. When you take off from a complete stop, you have to feather the gas pedal to take off, otherwise the transmission will slip during take off. Driving in rush hour traffic (stop and go) makes the drive feel like I am driving a stick shift, meaning the transmission feels jerky. The biggest issue I had was when I was moving about 15 mph making a left to oncoming traffic, and as I accelerated, the transmission just flat lined, meaning it was as if I just let off the gas. This happened for about 5 seconds. I am grateful the oncoming traffic slowed down, otherwise I would have been T-boned. I am at the point to where I am about to sell the lemon and will never buy another Hyundai moving forward if this isn't resolved. I am pretty confident they will not fix the transmission.

- Scott G., Frederick, MD, US

Jan 102018

Tucson Value 2.4L

The transmission hesitates from a stop. It's dangerous. It happens on BOTH my and my wife 2017 Tuscans. It has happened from the very first weeks. I informed my dealer who was very aware of the issue and stated that there is no fix available from the MFR.

I made it very clear to the dealership staff that if I or my wife is in a car accident because of this issue, our first call will be to an attorney because this is a KNOWN ISSUE to Hyundai!

- Michael M., Bensenville, IL, US

Aug 092018

Tucson LS 2.9L

Like many others on this page, I too have experienced the hesitation. Was told months ago that it was fixed when a TPS was either adjusted or replaced. I had no problems for about a month. Then, it started right back up AND HAPPENS ALMOST DAILY. I genuinely thought it was a gas quality issue and switched gas brands. Then I thought it was because it was cold. Then maybe because it was too hot or too humid or my hair was not looking so good that day.

The hesitation is so bad that on 3 separate occasions, I thought the end of my life was eminent. When you rely on a car to perform when you hit the accelerator and you end up not moving or just simply rolling with another vehicle coming right at you going approximately 55+ mph, you get downright terrified. Other times it's hesitated from a stop, I've gunned it and went about 10-12 mph and was fortunate enough to have no oncoming traffic. IT'S EVEN HESITATED WHEN TRYING TO PASS ANOTHER CAR AND I WAS GOING AT LEAST 45 MPH.

My last vehicle was also a Hyundai. A 2012 Sonata SE to be exact. It took some getting used to the Smart Transmission BUT IT MOVED!!! In fact, it hauled A$$. I was quite surprised for a 4 cyl. This Tucson won't get out of its own way and IS DANGEROUS!!!!!!! I will call my dealership and see what they have to say but truth be told, I'm expecting the same answers written on this board previously. Nothing, nada, zip.

HYUNDAI - ARE YOU WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO GET KILLED BEFORE YOU REALLY FIX THE PROBLEM????? Or ARE YOU JUST WAITING FOR ALL OF US TO FILE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT? WE PAID GOOD MONEY FOR THESE VEHICLES. YOU SHOULD MAKE SURE YOUR PRODUCT IS PROPERLY FUNCTIONING OR YOUR WARRANTY ISN'T WORTH THE PIECE OF PAPER IT IS WRITTEN ON.

- Jill S., Elgin, IL, US

May 302017

Tucson LTD Turbo

Do a "Hail Mary" before turning left.. hope you make it. This "double-clutch" is a joke. It's like a teen learning to drive a stick shift. HerkyJerky.... just awful. New car I feel like it's old technology. Ok... gas mileage is good.

Update from Aug 30, 2018: traded it in... 2 times the check engine light went on. a week later it came on again and there was "rodent droppings" under the hood. Apparently the rodents like the coating of the wires and cables. (so we're driving around with at food bag for rodents?) There was no evidence of chewing, but apparent blockage from something the animal dragged into the car (they are saying dog bone?) anyway my nerves couldn't take it any more

- Lisa K., Marietta, US

May 102017

Tucson Limited 1.6L T

My problem is the same as all the others on this site. The car hesitates when accelerating from a stop. It's as if the engine is dying, and car slows down before catching the next gear. I have reported this to the dealership where I bough it 3 times now (May 2017, late 2017, and April 2018). Each time they indicated they were not aware of anyone else with this problem, and of course couldn't duplicate the issue or find a code for an error.

The last time they indicated they would contact Hyundai to see if there were other complaints or what if anything was recommended in the way of a fix. That was a couple of weeks ago and I haven't heard back. This issue is similar to one that happened with 2016 Sonata's which took them a while to recall. I really like the car but this issue could cause someone to get into an accident, and therefore this will be my last Hyundai because of the way this is being handled (owned a 2007 Santa Fe and and no problems).

- Ronald B., Saint Paul, MN, US

Jun 112018

Tucson V6

At first I thought I got some bad gasoline. We put high test gas in it and a fuel injector cleaner. The problem didn't get better. I took my car to my mechanic and he ran a diagnostic on it and nothing showed up. He was going to tweak something but there was a lock on it and he suggested I take it back to Hyundai since my car is under warranty. I did that on July 18 and they said that this problem is with the transmissions on the 2017 Tucsons and unless there is a recall there is no cures. There are times that it feels like my car is going to stall as I'm pulling out onto a busy street. There is no get up and go! I have over 20,000 on my car, just paid it off and even had my dealer call to see if I was interested in trading it in since they have a shortage of used Tucsons.

I think it is time to get this issue on the recall list before someone gets killed because it stalls out in heavy traffic. I have my grandchildren in my car way too often to have them affected by this issue.

- Janice S., Westerville, US

May 212018

Tucson Limited 1.6L

When I am in a stop position and put my foot on the gas, the car does not move. It hesitates for about 5 seconds and then jumps forward. Today I was in a traffic jam stopped, when I went to move I put my foot on the gas and the car would not move. I thought I was out of gas but I had 3/4 of a tank. After around 5 seconds the car leaped forward and almost hit the car in front! Last week I was backing out of the garage and when I put my foot on the gas the car didn't move for about 5 seconds again then accelerated fast!

I don't feel like I have control of the vehicle! It is scary.

I looked up to see if anyone else had this problem and noticed the 2016 Hyundai Tucson was recalled for this same reason. They have not corrected the problem so I think the 2017 Hyundai Tucson Limited also needs to be recalled. This is a very dangerous situation and they should not wait for reported accidents.

I have been driving for 40 years and never had a vehicle do this!

- Rosemary D., South Hamilton, MA, US

Jul 102017

Tucson

I see I have the same problems as other Tucson owners: hesitation when accelerating, car pulling forward when my foot was on the brake; engine revs very loud when slowly accelerating. There is a 5 second delay when accelerating. I called the dealership to ask about the hesitation when accelerating and was told it was supposed to do that because it was a gas saving feature. Seeing other complaints makes me realize that was not true. When I took my Tucson in for its first oil change I mentioned these problems and was told they couldn't find anything wrong and basically I was a "woman" so I really didn't know what I was talking about. I feel this is a serious problem and needs to be fixed. I am really sorry I bought this vehicle.

- Sharon F., Sumner, US

Feb 272018

Tucson Sport 1.6L

For a fairly new vehicle purchased within a month with a 'sport' name, it can be sluggish. Had 2012 Tucson with a lot of get up and go. Not sure if it is just transmission or engine problem with my 2017 Tucson 1.6 Sport. Tried to back up 2 days ago and gave it gas and nothing happened! This was embarrassing for I was leaving a parking space right off the hwy with a policeman directing me. Finally the car backed up. Hopefully there will be a fix for this. I have complained strongly to Hyundai customer care today about it and think it is a safety issue. Almost feels like something is holding it back when I give it the gas. Cannot recommend the 2017 Hyundai Tucson Sport at this time. I hope Hyundai looks into it or I will get another brand for my next vehicle.

Update from Aug 9, 2019: Have been getting horrible gas mileage last 6 months owning my Tucson, 16 to 20 mpg instead of 25 to 30. Also the back windshield wiper comes on without me turning it on when I back up on a rainy day, very distracting. I will not purchase a Hyundai again.

- Marilyn L., Myrtle Beach, US

Nov 012017

Tucson AWD Value 1.6L T

I am currently leasing a 2017 Hyundai Tucson, thank goodness I DID NOT BUY THIS TRUCK! It's unfortunate, cause the style is very sporty and I love the panoramic roof.

The transmission dual clutch is a serious hazard. I was almost t-boned when making a left hand turn. I had accelerated, then floored the peddle and the car merely coasted with a 5 second delay praying that the car would catch and I would not be hit!!

1. No power when trying to accelerate from a stop 2. I have also experienced the car pulling forward even when my foot was on the brake 3. A "jerking" motion when shifting gears 4. Engine revs very loud when slowly accelerating (sounds like I'm trying to drag race, pretty embarrassing)

After speaking to the dealership about this, they said that the engineers are aware of the problem and unfortunately all the 2017/2018 models have this issue! That's a pretty big recall that they are NOT willing to make.

How many accidents have to be reported before this is resolved???? Hyundai need to make this RIGHT!

- Michele D., Fairfield, US