ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2017 Hyundai Tucson transmission problems: hesitates when starting from a stop

Hesitates When Starting From A Stop

2017 Hyundai Tucson

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

8.1

2017 Hyundai Tucson transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Hyundai Tucson:

2017 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments

Jun 112018

Tucson V6

At first I thought I got some bad gasoline. We put high test gas in it and a fuel injector cleaner. The problem didn't get better. I took my car to my mechanic and he ran a diagnostic on it and nothing showed up. He was going to tweak something but there was a lock on it and he suggested I take it back to Hyundai since my car is under warranty. I did that on July 18 and they said that this problem is with the transmissions on the 2017 Tucsons and unless there is a recall there is no cures. There are times that it feels like my car is going to stall as I'm pulling out onto a busy street. There is no get up and go! I have over 20,000 on my car, just paid it off and even had my dealer call to see if I was interested in trading it in since they have a shortage of used Tucsons.

I think it is time to get this issue on the recall list before someone gets killed because it stalls out in heavy traffic. I have my grandchildren in my car way too often to have them affected by this issue.

- Janice S., Westerville, US

May 212018

Tucson Limited 1.6L

When I am in a stop position and put my foot on the gas, the car does not move. It hesitates for about 5 seconds and then jumps forward. Today I was in a traffic jam stopped, when I went to move I put my foot on the gas and the car would not move. I thought I was out of gas but I had 3/4 of a tank. After around 5 seconds the car leaped forward and almost hit the car in front! Last week I was backing out of the garage and when I put my foot on the gas the car didn't move for about 5 seconds again then accelerated fast!

I don't feel like I have control of the vehicle! It is scary.

I looked up to see if anyone else had this problem and noticed the 2016 Hyundai Tucson was recalled for this same reason. They have not corrected the problem so I think the 2017 Hyundai Tucson Limited also needs to be recalled. This is a very dangerous situation and they should not wait for reported accidents.

I have been driving for 40 years and never had a vehicle do this!

- Rosemary D., South Hamilton, MA, US

Jul 102017

Tucson

I see I have the same problems as other Tucson owners: hesitation when accelerating, car pulling forward when my foot was on the brake; engine revs very loud when slowly accelerating. There is a 5 second delay when accelerating. I called the dealership to ask about the hesitation when accelerating and was told it was supposed to do that because it was a gas saving feature. Seeing other complaints makes me realize that was not true. When I took my Tucson in for its first oil change I mentioned these problems and was told they couldn't find anything wrong and basically I was a "woman" so I really didn't know what I was talking about. I feel this is a serious problem and needs to be fixed. I am really sorry I bought this vehicle.

- Sharon F., Sumner, US

Feb 272018

Tucson Sport 1.6L

For a fairly new vehicle purchased within a month with a 'sport' name, it can be sluggish. Had 2012 Tucson with a lot of get up and go. Not sure if it is just transmission or engine problem with my 2017 Tucson 1.6 Sport. Tried to back up 2 days ago and gave it gas and nothing happened! This was embarrassing for I was leaving a parking space right off the hwy with a policeman directing me. Finally the car backed up. Hopefully there will be a fix for this. I have complained strongly to Hyundai customer care today about it and think it is a safety issue. Almost feels like something is holding it back when I give it the gas. Cannot recommend the 2017 Hyundai Tucson Sport at this time. I hope Hyundai looks into it or I will get another brand for my next vehicle.

- Marilyn L., Myrtle Beach, US

Nov 012017

Tucson AWD Value 1.6L T

I am currently leasing a 2017 Hyundai Tucson, thank goodness I DID NOT BUY THIS TRUCK! It's unfortunate, cause the style is very sporty and I love the panoramic roof.

The transmission dual clutch is a serious hazard. I was almost t-boned when making a left hand turn. I had accelerated, then floored the peddle and the car merely coasted with a 5 second delay praying that the car would catch and I would not be hit!!

1. No power when trying to accelerate from a stop 2. I have also experienced the car pulling forward even when my foot was on the brake 3. A "jerking" motion when shifting gears 4. Engine revs very loud when slowly accelerating (sounds like I'm trying to drag race, pretty embarrassing)

After speaking to the dealership about this, they said that the engineers are aware of the problem and unfortunately all the 2017/2018 models have this issue! That's a pretty big recall that they are NOT willing to make.

How many accidents have to be reported before this is resolved???? Hyundai need to make this RIGHT!

- Michele D., Fairfield, US

Sep 242017

Tucson Sport 1.6L

This is my third Hyundai I've owned, so generally I'm a fan of Hyundai. However, my 2017 Tucson with the Dual Clutch transmission is seriously flawed and needs to be fixed.

After reading other posts from customers experiencing the delay in the transmission, I contacted Hyundai to report the problem. If you're having the same or similar problems, here's what I recommend for now: 1) Contact Corporate Customer Care: 800-633-5151. You'll need to start here and receive a claim number. 2) Take your vehicle to the dealer to be inspected. However, I suspect they will NOT be able to trip a code or discern anything conclusive. But you need to get this documented. The service manager at the dealer I took my Tucson to said he was pretty certain the car would not trip a code, yet he knows the dual clutch transmission is a problem and needs to be fixed.

So now that I've done this, Hyundai got back to me today and said that "the problem has been resolved because the vehicle is performing as designed." I had a good laugh with Landon on the phone and asked him to drive my vehicle for a few days to see if he thought the problem was resolved.

I'm not one to complain; like I said, I've owned two other Hyundai's and I'm a fan. But my wife doesn't want to drive this vehicle because she's afraid she'll get into an accident when the transmission fails to engage. On the bright side, this is the first vehicle I've ever leased, so I guess if I avoid an accident between now and 32 months, the problem won't be mine.

One last thing...I'm going to attempt to have someone take video while I'm driving to capture the delay in transmission. If we can capture it on video, I will send it to Hyundai first. If they ignore it, I'll likely post it to social media and ask others to share it until this dual clutch gets fixed :).

- John C., Plainfield, US

Sep 012017

Tucson ECO V4

I have the problem all the time. Accelerating from a stop. It is very annoying and I feel it is a huge safety concern as I push the gas from a stop, or when trying to pull out onto a highway, and it will hesitate, no gas, nothing, then lunge forward. Very unhappy with this. Not sure what I can do about this problem. I'm afraid I'm going to get t-boned. I have to wait till there is no traffic to make a turn, that is not always an option. I've haven't taken this to the dealer yet, but I have left emails on Hyundai site and at dealership, of which I have not received any response. I need time off to take this in as I live 40 miles from dealership.

So over Christmas I will make an appointment. But I'm reading the complains and it seems that this a problem with this vehicle which is not being dealt with, and there is no solution. This is a leased car, and sad to say, at this moment in time, I will not be choosing another Hyundai vehicle.

- Debra M., Clarks Summit, US

Jan 012018

Tucson Sport 1.6t

On several occasions the car hesitates to move when gas pedal depressed a small amount. Car usually moves forward by itself when the brake disengaged and no gas applied. One morning when backing out of my driveway, a slight hill, the car actually began rolling forward while the car was in reverse. The hesitation seems to happen less when in "Sport" mode.

- mortificatio, Fair Oaks, US

Oct 112017

Tucson Night 1.6L

I have a 2017 Tucson with a Dual Clutch Transmission. Vehicle hesitates when attempting to accelerate from a stop, making a turn or when "coasting". It is also not smooth and "jerks" sometimes when switching gears.

The hesitation can be anywhere from 2 seconds to 20 seconds. This is particularly scary and dangerous when making a left turn into oncoming traffic. You usually only have a few seconds to make the turn and cannot afford any type of delay!

I have been to my local dealer twice already in the 2 months I've had it and they say what I am experiencing is "typical of a dual clutch transmission". They run diagnostics and say everything is fine.

This is not acceptable and it's a matter of time until a serious if not fatal accident occurs because of this faulty transmission. Hyundai needs to immediately recall these vehicles and replace the transmission to the 2.0L automatic.

- Megan W., Seattle, US

Mar 012017

Tucson

I am currently leasing a 2017 Hyundai Tucson, love the car, but do not feel safe while driving it! It never fails when I need to accelerate to turn left, or onto a traffic filled road, I have no acceleration. The car literally hesitates as if it is going to die and I start to panic that I am going to get hit! I can accelerate just fine from a complete stop at a traffic light, or railroad tracks as it happens more when I am in a coasting mode and I try to accelerate. I had it to the Hyundai dealership once already and they could not duplicate the problem. I am taking it in again and will once again bring it to their attention. I previously owned, and traded in, a 2003 Santa Fe and never experienced anything like this.

- Sandra N., Plainfield, US

Feb 082017

Tucson LX 1.6L

Very dangerous. This transmission is JUNK!!! Hyundai will get someone killed by this problem!

- Scott B., Kokomo, IN, US

Jan 162017

• CVT transmission

I've had 7 Hyundais. Liked them all until now. This 7 speed dual clutch transmission is awful. Lurches from a stop, hesitates like it wants to stall. Brought it in to the dealer twice, they say there are no "codes" coming up. When I tell them about everyone else's complaint, and that there is a class action law suit they say they can't comment. They just lost a loyal customer.

- Paul M., Toms River, US

Jul 192017

Tucson SE Plus 2.0L Inline 4cyclinder

Purchased a 2017 Hyundai Tuscon in May of 2017. I have now experienced the hesitation from a stopped position. My car has less than 2,000 miles and now I read that the 2016 Tuscon has/had the same problem.....REALLY....I have scheduled my car at the dealership. They indicated there have been a lot of complaints and that a "computer" glitch with the double clutch transmission is the cause. AND THAT THE AVAILABLE COMPUTER UPDATE/FIX MIGHT NOT LAST.....REALLY REALLY REALLY. SO THE PROBLEM HAS EXISTED AND THE FIX IS STILL NOT 100%. AM I SUPPOSED TO FIND OUT WHEN I'M TRYING

TO ACCELERATE ONTO THE INTERSTATE!!!! This is my third Hyundai, most recently I traded in my 2015 Sonata which I absolutely LOVED, never one mechanical issues with the Sonata. NOW I'M EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED AND APPREHENSIVE.

Update from Aug 5, 2017: Took vehicle to dealership...they were unable to confirm our concern during a road test

Checked for "DTCS AND TSBS none were found...they reset the "TA Adaptives"

We were instructed to bring vehicle back if problem occurs again. So far so good!

If problem reoccurs...dealership with contact Hyundai.

- Patricia I., Sidney, US

Jun 162017

Tucson SE Plus V4

This is a serious problem. On acceleration from a light, there is very little forward motion. I sometimes have to press the accelerator pedal (with high revs) to the floorboard before I get any normal forward movement. It is as if the car is in the wrong gear or something. It APPEARS that the problem is most noticeable after the vehicle has been sitting in the sun - not sure. It is potentially hazardous when attempting to make a left turn at a light (after coming to a stop). I have to allow extra distance for oncoming traffic so I can complete the turn in time - a little scary & not good. This is my 3rd Tucson. I've had a 2010 and 2013. I have not had a problem with acceleration with those vehicles. I also have an Elantra GT with no problems. If this does not get fixed, this will be my last Hyundai.

- Louis A., Goodyear, US

Nov 012016

Tucson Limited 2.0L 4 cyl

2 HYUNDAI DEALERS HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIX THIS RECURRING TRANSMISSION FAILURE! The transmission misses horrible (50 times since September 2016). Hyundai service is awful and I will never buy another vehicle from them. The transmission misses when it shifts gears and because their mechanic can't experience it even though I can list 25 other people who have witnessed it, they won't fix it.

- Mark K., Springfield, IL, US

May 212017

Tucson Limited 1.6L Turbo

Dealership unwilling to help. I have contacted attorney general, hyundai, and am pursuing the lemon law since the vehicle is only 2.5 weeks sold.

Rt 44 Hyundai in Raynham MA is the dealership. Peachy when purchasing, awful when working with finance, awful working with sales now to resolve this very serious problem that is life threatening because I am on blood thinners.

- Allyson M., Lakeville, US

Jan 152017

Tucson Limited 3.2L

I've taken to dealer for the first free oil change and asked them about the problem at that time, but they said mine had already had that problem fixed or was newer to where it wouldn't have the problem. I have the problem all the time. It is very annoying and I feel it is a huge safety concern as I push the gas from a stop and it will hesitate for a few seconds then lunge forward. Very unhappy with this. Not sure what I can do about this problem.

- Melody V., Louisville, KY, US

Feb 162017

Tucson ECO 1.6t

Had the control module updated per the recall, but had the problem where car would not move after coming to a stop at a traffic light one month later.

- Peter M., Littleton, US