2017 Hyundai Tucson transmission problems: hesitates when starting from a stop

Hesitates When Starting From A Stop

2017 Hyundai Tucson (Page 1 of 3)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

8.2

2017 Hyundai Tucson transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Hyundai Tucson:

2017 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Apr 192020

Tucson SEL 2.0L

While at stop the at the intersection of rt7 and Greenbag road, Morgantown WV the vehicle failed accelerate when fuel pedal pressed. The engine reved and vehicle rolled into the into the intersection with no acceleration as if the transmission was not fully engaged. Limped the vehicle to next parking lot. Turned off vehicle then restarted and the Tuscon preformed normally. This is a very dangerous situation, if I had been in a situation with on coming traffic a accident would of occurred.

- Dan U., Morgantown, US

Jan 132020

Tucson Limited 1.6L

The DCT transmission completely disengages and there is NO power to the vehicle, it just coasts for about 5 seconds and the vehicles slows down. It seems to happen after a turn from a stop, and at slower speeds around 25 - 35 MPH. You push the gas pedal and nothing happens, the engine does not rev and you just coast (and slow down). If this happens when I’m pulling out in traffic making a left it could be deadly. I do not let my 19 year old son drive this vehicle. I promise you there will be accidents due to this defect and I would imagine some people will die because of it. This happens regularly, it is not a one-time incident. I just bought the vehicle a month ago and it's happened 10 to 20 times.

- jman777xjm, South Plainfield, US

Jul 102020

Tucson

I know several other people who have had a problem starting their car from a stop. My two most recent problems was when I was at a traffic light completely stopped. When it was my turn to go, I put my foot down and nothing. Car did not move one inch. Decided to then lay the petal to the floor and after a second it began to creep along. Not until a solid 5 second later did the car begin to pick up speed. And by pick up speed i mean get to 5MPH then 10 MPH, then finally to 15MPH. Not only was this annoying but it was the first time i had dealt with this problem so it was somewhat concerning.

When I took the car to the Hyundai dealership, they drove it around of course and came back to tell me nothing was wrong with the car. But the service women did mention they see Tucson's more than any other car. When leaving the dealership I was pulling out onto the highway and you'll never believe what happened! My car wouldn't move when I Pressed the gas petal down... Not only did it not move for a solid 3 seconds, but when it finally did begin to move forward a car was heading right towards me. I knew the car would not pick up enough speed to get out of the way so instead i had to back up out of the way of the car coming towards me. This was a scary experience and at this point i was angry.

There is a major problem with the 2017 Tucson. I'm sure other years too. But this is not only dangerous, but it can become life threatening. Something needs to be done about this before an accident is caused.

There is absolutely no reason this cannot be fixed, other than Hyundai turning a blind eye to the problem.

- Makayla D., Charlotte, US

Dec 052019

Tucson Night Edt 1.6L Turbo

• CVT transmission

Bought a 2017 Tucson night edt. on 12-05-2019 with very low miles 16,500 can't go wrong ! right ? Well looks like I'm having the same problem as everyone else on here. When I come to a stop and barely start to push on the gas pedal the car hesitates and sputters till I push the pedal further. This is extremely annoying I am almost ready get rid of it and get another Kia Soul that I had before this that shifted smooth as silk. My 1996 24year old Toyota Camry shifts smoother than this new technology transmission. Hopefully if we bark enough they will implement a new computer update to do a complete reset. Other than that I like everything else about the vehicle.

- John U., Las Vegas, NV, US

May 122019

Tucson Sport 1.6t

I have had issues with the transmission/engine jerking in low gear and the vehicle not accelerating from a stop, roll, or low gear. The biggest issue happened when I was taking a left hand turn and went out into the intersection. When there was an opening in traffic, I pressed the gas to turn and started to move and suddenly stalled no matter how much I pressed the gas. Oncoming traffic was coming in hot at about 45-50 mph. I was absolutely terrified and desperately pressing the gas for about 2-3 sections and we finally (very jerkily) zoomed off and missed being demolished by a half a second. It might be worth mentioning that I was 7 months pregnant and my sister was in the passenger seat, and she would have taken the main hit on the passenger side. Scariest near miss of my life. This has happened more times that I can count. I do NOT understand how Hyundai has not issued a recall on this extremely dangerous issue.

- mklein10, Lisle, US

Sep 012019

Tucson Limited 1.6L Turbo

Same acceleration problem noted by many others. Car stalls when accelerating from a stop. Takes 1-3 seconds for the acceleration to kick in. Based on other comments, it is unfortunately going to take deaths and serious injuries and/or class action lawsuits to get Hyundai to admit there is a problem.

- Gregory C., Okemah, OK, US

May 012019

Tucson AWD Value 4dr SUV 1.6l14 Turbocharger

• CVT transmission

I TOOK it to Circle Hyundai in Shrewsbury, NJ and they ran it through computer, tried to simulate the situation, and said they couldn't. Meanwhile the sales person that drove it into the garage felt the same hesitation as i am experiencing. This is annoy, and my friend has a 2019 Hyundai Tuscon and it does not have this issue. Whether Hyundai knew, and made adjustments in the following years, they should recall the 2017 and fix the issue. Frightening, when I am by a railroad. Also the car stalled while in traffic when I ran the air conditioner. I have such mixed emotions about this car. SOMEONE needs to step up and take responsibility before someone seriously gets hurt.

- Joanne L., Keyport, NJ, US

Jan 032018

Tucson Limited 2.0L

Like many others in this forum, we have had endless problems with the acceleration of our Hyundai Tucson. We first started noticing the issue within the first 3-4 months of owning the vehicle and it has been an issue ever since. We took it in about 3 different times to our dealership for this problem, and at first, they weren't able to replicate the problem or get any error codes from scanning it with their diagnostic tool. They told us that it was us driving it improperly, and that we should watch a video on how to drive a duel-clutch-transmission vehicle. We knew it wasn't the DCT because of how inconsistent the problem was. The service manager told us to bring it in next time we noticed the problem so he could experience it firsthand. We did exactly that, and the service manager acknowledged the issue, in writing on our file. They finally deemed our transmission faulty, and replaced it after about 60,000km worth of driving. Once the transmission was replaced, the hesitation/lag went away for an about 3-4 months, until just recently, the hesitation came back. This problem is a HUGE safety concern and if we weren't still making payments on it, I'd be tempted to send it to the wreckers. We've had multiple occasions where we have NEARLY been t-boned because of the lag/hesitation when making a left turn in traffic. This has lawsuit written all over it. What's next?

- Rob C., London, ON, Canada

Sep 012018

Tucson Sport 1.6L

Approx Sept 2018 I started to notice my 2017 Tucson jerk and or hesitate to accelerate from the stop or idle position. At first it was subtle. Then it advanced to more of a "shudder". On a "good" day it is noticeable, however on a "bad" day it feels like the transmission is going to "drop" from the car. It has on 2 occasions "lunged in a jerk motion" which I immediately hit the brake to prevent hitting the car in front of me. I made an appt with the service dept at the dealer (they have been as helpful as they possible can be, no complaints .. yet) for this concern. I was informed they were able to "capture" this issue. They transmitted the captured information to the department that it needs to go to for approval on repairs. The individual that reads the information determined that my car was within the "Norm for shifting". The issue was not resolved.

This is my 4th Hyundai. I have been pleased with my other Hyundai's (they had what I refer to as "Nuisances", rear brake lighting assembly replacement, sounds from the passenger side that cause the A/C to not work, etc). This is the 2nd Tucson I have owned. My concerns are that if this jerkiness or lunging causes me to hit another car - insurance can handle it (we are adults) however if this jerkiness / lunging causes me to his a pedestrian - well, I think any rational person can see my concerns. I contacted "Sheree" at the Fountain Valley Office, I informed her of my concerns, she assigned me a "case number" and informed me that someone would contact me within 3-5 days. So we will see ....

Update from Jan 12, 2019: The corporate office located in Orange County Calif was contacted. They took the car for approx 5 days or so. They were not able to "replicate" the concern. I got my car back with it documented it was "Safe to Drive". I left a VM for the same person to let them know it was still doing the "same thing". Due to them not being able to replicate the problem there was nothing left for me to do.

Update from Jan 13, 2021: 1/13/2021 - The irony of all this... Hyundai insisted there was nothing wrong with my Tucson. I ended up getting a Lemon Law Atty, first they said "No", the next day they offered to "Buy Back my Tucson", however I would have to pay them $4,000.00, I declined the offer. The next day they offered to give my $7,000.00 for my "inconvenience" .. I don't know about you guys, But if a company wants to give me money for my inconvenience and there's "nothing wrong with it" ... SMH - Anyways, I took the check, split it with the Lemon Law Atty and purchased another car. Sadly, after this experience I will never trust Hyundai Corp after purchasing 4 of their vehicles. I have mad respect for Glendora Hyundai and their employees, none of this had anything to do with them.

- Heather G., Chino HIlls, US

Jun 012017

Tucson Limited

Right away after I purchased a new 2017 Hyundai Tuscon Limited I felt acceleration problems - when I would make a turn I would get stuck in middle of intersection. Took it right away to dealership they said its a dual clutch system and that's why that happens.

After several months started shaking badly - went to 2 different Hyundai service to have them check it out- I called corporate and she sent me to a 3rd place - all I asked was to get out of my lease - no compensation just end my lease early - this car is SO NOT SAFE. at dealership now again and the mechanic stated this is the 3rd one within the last month with same problem - he says needs new transmission -

I will not pay for this nor do I want this car anymore. Corporate is terrible and would be cheaper for them to end the lease than to repair

- Moriah W., Los Angeles, CA, US

Nov 172018

• CVT transmission

This is the worst car I have ever had. Shutters, slow on take off. Will most likely get killed in this car. Only had car since Nov 2018. Hate this car.

- Theresa R., Orange, US

Sep 132017

Tucson TLE 1.6L Sport Ed2wdtgdisa

AS YET I HAVE NOT HAD AN ACCIDENT. BUT I FEEL THE CAR IS STILL UNSAFE TO DRIVE ON FAST ROADS AS THE DELAY FROM FOOT BRAKE TO ACCELERATION IS VERY SLOW OR NONEXISTENT AND IS A DANGEROUS CAR TO DRIVE.

- Jennifer S., Cranbrook, UK

Jul 032017

Tucson Sport 4L

This is another complaint about my car hesitating from a stop, just like all the other complaints. I am very upset because I consider this problem to a safety issue. I have contacted HFMUSA and Hyundai consumer affairs and just say they are not able to help and that I should contact the other. In other words, they just pass the buck. I will never purchase another Hyundai. This is a crap company.

- lwrightjr1025, AMESBURY, US

Jan 232018

Tucson Sport

After I bought my car, transmission was cutting off while driving on highways and especially while making left turns.

Recently during long weekend I was out with my family on vacation and in middle of road I was taking U-Turn and for a second my transmission got cut off and all of a sudden car pulled forward immediately and to family luck we missed a Major accident.

I gave 2 complaints to service center and every time I got the same response from service team that this is known issue with dual clutch and if you want we can trade your car. And i was not expecting this answer from Hyundai team.

If everybody in Hyundai is aware about this issue why wouldn't they recall it and fix the issue rather playing with customer Life. I also asked dealer that are you sort of experimenting with customer life. And we need answers to resolve our issue rather than trading and losing our hard earned money.

After so many months today 11/27/2108 representative from Hyundai called me and says that as per state law that my complaint doesn't qualify for repurchase or replacement under the Law. When asked for escalation path representative said that she is the highest point of contact and there couldn't be any further action from their end.

My point is, when this many people are complaining about the issue why Hyundai is not taking any action to fix the design flaw. Are they waiting someone to get into accident and then work on fixing the issue?

- Vj M., BLUFFDALE, UT, US

Jul 092018

Tucson SE Plus FWD 2.Ol 4 cyl

Reported this issue to the dealership who has had it twice. Second time with a VERY detailed account of every time the transmission acted oddly. I have been told that there is a replacement transmission for the Tucson but the dealerships first have to make our Tucson's qualify. I have had someone go road rage on me and I reported that to Hyundai as well. I also reported this all to Consumer Complaint div of Hyundai who has denied buying my car back BUT they want to inspect it with an engineer. I am waiting for a reply as to why. I believe the issue has a lot to do with weather conditions.

Update from May 17, 2019: 5/2019: Issue has returned just has I thought it would with the heat. Dealership wants to put a recorder on the car so when it does happen again I push the button and it records the computer settings. Service manager does not think it is the transmission but a vaper issue.

Update from Nov 13, 2019: 9/2019 The Tucson stayed at the dealership again for a week, they had their "top" mechanic drive it home, which pissed me off since he was driving it to a rural area on a steep upgrade road, 300 miles later YES 300 miles. I was told to come pick it up did not have one issue with it. Oh and the computer they said they would put on the vehicle and let me drive it NO way. The is a leased vehicle with 300 miles I did not put on it so I am told to bring it in early before the lease is up and they'll let me drive 300 miles on another vehicle. Sure that will change too. So very disappointed with the service manager. At this time the weather has cooled down so I don't expect to have an issue till spring again when it will be time to turn the LEMON in to them.

- klamons, Indio, US

Jun 122018

Tucson

BOUGHT BRAND NEW OF THE LOT LAST YEAR IN SEPTEMBER. FIRST AND LAST TIME I BUY FROM THEM. THIS CAR WILL RANDOMLY HAVE NO ACCELERATION FROM STOPPED POSITION. SO WHEN YOU'RE TRYING TO MAKE A LEFT HAND TURN AND CAN'T GO ANYWHERE, IT'S A HUGE ISSUE!!

THERE WAS A RECALL DONE WHICH I HAVE ALREADY TAKEN IT IN FOR SO THIS SHOULD NOT BE AN ONGOING ISSUE BUT IT IS! HYUNDAI IS DOING NOTHING ABOUT IT. ARE YOU WAITING FOR A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF ACCIDENTS? INJURIES? DEATHS? HYUNDAI? DO YOU NOT CARE ABOUT THE SH*T PRODUCT YOU HAVE OUT THERE? CLEARLY NOT THE SAFETY OF YOUR CUSTOMERS.

WISH HYUNDAI WAS LIKE COSTCO AND I COULD JUST BRING IT BACK. SO DANGEROUS AND THEIR SERVICE IDIOTS ACT LIKE IT'S NOTHING. READ THE DAMN FORUMS AND BLOGS DUMMIES YOU THINK WE ALL JUST MAKE THIS SH*T UP? SUCH A HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. WHEN YOU HIRED THE GUY FROM AUDI, IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN FOR MORE THAN THE BODY AND STYLE. TRY A TRANNY GUY FROM UMMM ANYWHERE ELSE!!!! WHAT A JOKE.

- Justin G., WOODBRIDGE, ON, Canada

Jun 252018

Tucson

EVERY TIME I STOP THE CAR AND PUSH THE GAS, THE GAR JERKS. IT FEELS AS IF THE TRANSMISSION IS SLIPPING ALREADY. THIS IS A NEW CAR UNDER WARRANTY. I WORK IN REAL ESTATE AND IT IS EMBARRASSING, VERY FRUSTRATING AND DANGEROUS. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

HYUNDAI HAS NOT DONE ANYTHING TO RECTIFY THIS PROBLEM. THE CAR IS LESS THAN A YEAR OLD. THERE NEEDS TO BE SOME SORT OF RECALL OR ACCOUNTABILITY. PLEASE HELP.

HAS ANYONE HAD ANY SUCCESS FIXING THIS ISSUE?

- Robert E., TORONTO, ON, Canada

Jul 182018

Tucson ECO 1.6L

Noticed a shuttering when starting from a complete stop to accelerating when moving forward. Problem was brought to the attention of the service manager at Hyundai during servicing. Service manager told us that it was normal with the 7 speed transmission. I have never heard that when a problem which occurs 1 year from being a new vehicle being a normal problem we have to live with. This is the same service manager who tried to sell us a battery, which was fine on a 2 year old Sonata.

- Stanley D., Fairhope, AL, US

Oct 022017

Tucson Night 1.6L Turbo

I love everything about my Hyundai Tucson, however the transmission issues are horrible. When you take off from a complete stop, you have to feather the gas pedal to take off, otherwise the transmission will slip during take off. Driving in rush hour traffic (stop and go) makes the drive feel like I am driving a stick shift, meaning the transmission feels jerky. The biggest issue I had was when I was moving about 15 mph making a left to oncoming traffic, and as I accelerated, the transmission just flat lined, meaning it was as if I just let off the gas. This happened for about 5 seconds. I am grateful the oncoming traffic slowed down, otherwise I would have been T-boned. I am at the point to where I am about to sell the lemon and will never buy another Hyundai moving forward if this isn't resolved. I am pretty confident they will not fix the transmission.

- Scott G., Frederick, MD, US

Jan 102018

Tucson Value 2.4L

The transmission hesitates from a stop. It's dangerous. It happens on BOTH my and my wife 2017 Tuscans. It has happened from the very first weeks. I informed my dealer who was very aware of the issue and stated that there is no fix available from the MFR.

I made it very clear to the dealership staff that if I or my wife is in a car accident because of this issue, our first call will be to an attorney because this is a KNOWN ISSUE to Hyundai!

- Michael M., Bensenville, IL, US