9.0

2. replace torque converter (1 reports)
2018 Hyundai Tucson transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Hyundai Tucson:

2018 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments

Jun 122019

Tucson SEL 2.0L

It’s had same problem for about a year now, seems to be getting worse. Guess I’ll have to take it in, was checking to see if it was a common problem with this car and it seems to be.

Update from Jun 7, 2021: Still hesitating from a stop, but even worse now. Also developing a sound and white smoke from tail pipe. This is a serious safety issue that is tearing up the vehicle after a period of time. I cannot believe there is not a recall with the 100’s of complaints I’ve seen. Hyundai is not backing their vehicles and I am not impressed at all. They should be held accountable.

- Chad D., Huntington, US

Aug 152019

Tucson SEL Plus 2.0L

2018 SEL Plus. Acceleration Issues on Standard Engine with Automatic Transmission. Bought the vehicle brand new and ever since then, there is occasional hesitation to move from a stop. When merging into traffic, changing lanes or accelerating from a dead stop, the car will refuse to acknowledge the Gas pedal press. Even when you floor it, it will take a good 3-4 seconds before reacting to the request and starts revving up.

Noticed the RPM being stuck around 2000 RPM roughly when this happens and will not move any higher for the duration of delay.

Have experienced countless near accidents (T-Bones when getting out of home to the street, crossing an intersection, highway lane merges etc) in this vehicle. An experienced driver myself owning more than 7 other cars thus far; I can vouch that no other has put me this close to accidents; ever.

This vehicle is potentially dangerous as it sits. Read a few other complaints as mine, but have not brought it to the Dealership yet as no one else were able to get theirs fixed (at this point of time; for my knowledge). This is my only transportation; so going without a car for days/weeks isn't an option for me.

At this point, it will be great if Hyundai can just take the car back and spare the life of innocent people that entrusted them with the cash. A dangerous accident is a sure way to guarantee disability or even fatality; which I do not want to see in my lifetime.

Thinking about cutting my losses and giving it up early for another safer vehicle.

- Sharmelan S., Arlington, TX, US

Aug 082019

Tucson Sel Plus 2.0L

It's a problem that a number of folks on this site have discussed, a hesitation from a dead start, and also while slowing down and attempting to move quickly to avoid traffic. This is actually the third time, the vehicle has been in for service on this complaint, and each time I get it

back from the service department telling me they couldn't find a code, and that the vehicle wouldn't duplicate the problem for them. It's happened for three drivers; my wife, my granddaughter and me under different conditions.

Hyundai got involved to the extent that they had the vehicle brought in for a week in which the dealer says it drove the vehicle for 200 miles and no hesitation. In conversations with Hyundai, the young woman named MARY actually admitted, probably by mistake, that the problem has been reported elsewhere, but that no codes were found. My question to Hyundai is "why does someone have to die" to get a problem addressed.

In my case, I was making a turn left with a speed of about 5 mph, but as an oncoming car approached, I had to hit the gas only to get the Tucson to "yawn" hesitate and slowly go through the turn. Fortunately the approaching car slowed down. My granddaughter was on a hill and from a dead stop the vehicle had no oomph. It caught after a few seconds. My wife's occasion while she was moving and trying to change lanes, She slowed down, then hit the gas to get in, but it didn't get the signal, hesitated and slowly got into the other lane before something engaged and it picked up speed.

Here's my issue: The service folks told me to not drive the car in ECO, which means they know a little about this problem, but won't admit it, as does Hyundai, I asked both if a salesman had told me to watch out driving in some MODES because there could be a problem, I'd have left the dealership without a Tucson. That's what's needed if Hyundai doesn't want to acknowledge the problem, and I'm sure they know what's going on, then at least be honest up front and let the buyer decide if they want to go through this.

I think everyone who's experienced this issue should form a group and push for action.

- jemexbla, Pittsburgh, US

Mar 022018

Tucson Sport 1.6L

Without question what I have experienced is a serious safety issue. Over the course of the last 2 years since I've owned the car, I consistently experience what some describe as turbo lag and others have considered it a problem with the dual clutch transmission. All I know is that occasionally after stopping, there is a tremendous lag in acceleration when I step on the gas. It has occurred in both Normal and Sport modes. It's unpredictable and has happened numerous times when pulling out in traffic. I never know if the car is going to accelerate or not and it's dangerous to drive. Many times it has limped out into oncoming traffic only to surge ahead once it gets going. There is some lag before it takes off. I can press on the accelerator and nothing happens. This uncertainty can scare the hell out of the driver. It has also happened when the car is just rolling along when going less than 5 mph, such as in a left turn lane. I get worried that someday it's going to surge into the rear end of the car in front of me.

Hyundai has attempted to fix it by performing what they termed as a dual clutch relearn which has not been successful. It has been assigned a Techline Case # 2019030102195. I can't believe somebody hasn't been killed because of the unpredictability of the acceleration. After many months of tolerating this condition, I have once again taken it to the dealership to see if anything can be done to fix this problem. I like the car because it's enjoyable to drive, gets reasonable gas mileage, has a sporty feel and look to it and accommodates our lifestyle very well, and has many attributes we wanted in a car.

I am now toying with the idea of selling it and getting something else because of concerns for our safety!

- Dan S., Park City, US

Dec 012018

Tucson

With the car warmed up properly- put car in drive -started to accelerate & car hesitated causing cars behind me to honk horn. Been noticing this since I purchased the vehicle. I don't want any problems from a new car, so going to take car in for it's first service job & will let the service tech. know about the problem before an accident happens- will get back atcha!

- spwaterman, long beach, US

May 202018

Tucson Value 1.6L Turbo

I reported this to my dealer today (9/5/2018) and they said it required a reset of some computer setting for the transmission.

I have an appointment Monday. We'll see.

Update from Sep 14, 2018: It appears to be solved.

- Christopher W., Ormond Beach, US

Aug 252018

Tucson SEL Pluse

Bought this brand new Tucson one week ago today. We have noticed that intermittently it will hesitate acceleration when at a stop. This is scary, as we don't know when it will happen. Have to wait for road to be VERY clear to take a turn. A brand new car should not be doing this. And upon researching we have found this has been an ongoing problem for years. Something needs to be done to fix this.

- Dody D., Las Vegas, NV, US

Jun 152018

Tucson SE 2L

The vehicle would not accelerate immediately from a stop when leaving a parking lot. Almost got "T-boned" by oncoming traffic as car was hesitating for several seconds before beginning to move. Then the engine revved to near red-line in first few gears, but still seemed to have no power. This sequence happened several times more over the next two weeks.

This is our third Hyundai; we have a 2017 Sonata that seems fine, and had a 2017 Santa Fe which we turned in for the 2018 Tucson in March '18. It had just over 2000mi when this started.

After the first incident I stopped in to ask Hyundai service reps if there were any known issues and if there was anything to be done. They said no, just if it keeps up bring it in for a look. After is happened a few more times my wife decided she did not feel safe driving it as it could result in an accident if we could not get out of the way quickly. I agree.

The car was brought in to Hyundai in Danbury CT, where we have gotten all three (all leases) and have even referred our son who bought a used Sonata form them. The car has been there for two weeks (since July 2nd) with no resolution yet. Their "Master Mechanic" does not have any idea why it is happening. They were to be "calling in a Hyundai engineer" to work the problem; no result from that yet. We were thinking of upgrading to a better model next time, now not so sure we are even staying with the brand.

To be continued

Update from Jul 21, 2018: Hyundai called in an "engineer" who finally (after a week) called for a torque converter replacement. We have the car back (I thought the "dual-clutch) trannys did not have a torque converter, I will be inquiring).

So far it is behaving acceptably, and we will be watching it carefully

- Joseph H., Brookfield, CT, US