9.6

2. replace torque converter (1 reports)
2018 Hyundai Tucson transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Hyundai Tucson:

2018 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments

Mar 022018

Tucson Sport 1.6L

Without question what I have experienced is a serious safety issue. Over the course of the last 2 years since I've owned the car, I consistently experience what some describe as turbo lag and others have considered it a problem with the dual clutch transmission. All I know is that occasionally after stopping, there is a tremendous lag in acceleration when I step on the gas. It has occurred in both Normal and Sport modes. It's unpredictable and has happened numerous times when pulling out in traffic. I never know if the car is going to accelerate or not and it's dangerous to drive. Many times it has limped out into oncoming traffic only to surge ahead once it gets going. There is some lag before it takes off. I can press on the accelerator and nothing happens. This uncertainty can scare the hell out of the driver. It has also happened when the car is just rolling along when going less than 5 mph, such as in a left turn lane. I get worried that someday it's going to surge into the rear end of the car in front of me.

Hyundai has attempted to fix it by performing what they termed as a dual clutch relearn which has not been successful. It has been assigned a Techline Case # 2019030102195. I can't believe somebody hasn't been killed because of the unpredictability of the acceleration. After many months of tolerating this condition, I have once again taken it to the dealership to see if anything can be done to fix this problem. I like the car because it's enjoyable to drive, gets reasonable gas mileage, has a sporty feel and look to it and accommodates our lifestyle very well, and has many attributes we wanted in a car.

I am now toying with the idea of selling it and getting something else because of concerns for our safety!

- Dan S., Park City, US

Dec 012018

Tucson

With the car warmed up properly- put car in drive -started to accelerate & car hesitated causing cars behind me to honk horn. Been noticing this since I purchased the vehicle. I don't want any problems from a new car, so going to take car in for it's first service job & will let the service tech. know about the problem before an accident happens- will get back atcha!

- spwaterman, long beach, US

May 202018

Tucson Value 1.6L Turbo

I reported this to my dealer today (9/5/2018) and they said it required a reset of some computer setting for the transmission.

I have an appointment Monday. We'll see.

Update from Sep 14, 2018: It appears to be solved.

- Christopher W., Ormond Beach, US

Aug 252018

Tucson SEL Pluse

Bought this brand new Tucson one week ago today. We have noticed that intermittently it will hesitate acceleration when at a stop. This is scary, as we don't know when it will happen. Have to wait for road to be VERY clear to take a turn. A brand new car should not be doing this. And upon researching we have found this has been an ongoing problem for years. Something needs to be done to fix this.

- Dody D., Las Vegas, NV, US

Jun 152018

Tucson SE 2L

The vehicle would not accelerate immediately from a stop when leaving a parking lot. Almost got "T-boned" by oncoming traffic as car was hesitating for several seconds before beginning to move. Then the engine revved to near red-line in first few gears, but still seemed to have no power. This sequence happened several times more over the next two weeks.

This is our third Hyundai; we have a 2017 Sonata that seems fine, and had a 2017 Santa Fe which we turned in for the 2018 Tucson in March '18. It had just over 2000mi when this started.

After the first incident I stopped in to ask Hyundai service reps if there were any known issues and if there was anything to be done. They said no, just if it keeps up bring it in for a look. After is happened a few more times my wife decided she did not feel safe driving it as it could result in an accident if we could not get out of the way quickly. I agree.

The car was brought in to Hyundai in Danbury CT, where we have gotten all three (all leases) and have even referred our son who bought a used Sonata form them. The car has been there for two weeks (since July 2nd) with no resolution yet. Their "Master Mechanic" does not have any idea why it is happening. They were to be "calling in a Hyundai engineer" to work the problem; no result from that yet. We were thinking of upgrading to a better model next time, now not so sure we are even staying with the brand.

To be continued

Update from Jul 21, 2018: Hyundai called in an "engineer" who finally (after a week) called for a torque converter replacement. We have the car back (I thought the "dual-clutch) trannys did not have a torque converter, I will be inquiring).

So far it is behaving acceptably, and we will be watching it carefully

- Joseph H., Brookfield, CT, US