7.3

2017 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Jeep Cherokee:

2017 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments

Nov 152018

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L

• CVT transmission

I got a Jeep Cherokee brand new off the lot. Within 10,000 miles I started having issues. They were just annoying. Then I was on my way home from work, the shifter lit up like a Christmas tree and said Shift to P and put in gear. Mind you I was driving when this occurred. Everything locked up. Luckily there was no snow on the roads or other cars, otherwise I would have been dead. I have a video of my problem. Stopped the car and when I turned it back on the message went away.

Two days later is comes on again, this time when I am on the highway. I manage to coast off the 75mph road and turn my car off and back on. At this point, I am beyond annoyed. I then get a check engine light on the next morning. It turns out a sensor died. I go to get it checked out under warranty and they refuse to pay for it.

I ended up paying $400 out of pocket for a temperature sensor and a new wiring harness (they said the shifter issue was totally electrical and completely my fault). They also said no one has those issues with these vehicles. Oh they were mistaken.

Today April 3rd it stalled out a third time and almost killed me at an intersection. I have another video of what it is doing. It did not want to restart. It ran rough and then came around. Never will I buy a Jeep again.

- Julie S., Franklinville, NY, US

May 212018

Cherokee Trailwawk 3.2L

Hello fellow Cherokee Lovers,

My 2017 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk is now in the shop for a reoccurring issue, which causes the transmission to get stuck in 4th gear, as per manual mode indicator. The error code is P0733 which translates into: Gear 3 Incorrect Ratio". I thought the problem was corrected when the shop change a section of the transmission housing, but that did not appear to fix the issue. The issue has now reoccurred numerous times; the shop notes the error code and clears it, but has not taken it into the shop for additional mechanical work until yesterday, because the issue is corrected when I turn of the ignition off and open the door, so by the time I get it to the shop the transmission is working normally. It is a really good shop which I do trust! I live in the Sierra mountains and use the manual mode in 3rd gear for engine breaking; this appears to cause the problem.

Any ideas other than don't use the manual mode for engine breaking??? Ha Ha! Thanks! Mark

Update from Aug 10, 2018: Well, FCC will not authorized the warranty repairs related to the three separate P0733 transmission error code because the shop cannot duplicate the problem, so I picked up our 2017 Jeep Cherokee today. The mechanic did try to duplicate by test driving the Cherokee on flat surfaces, but I repeatedly told them the transmission failure always occurs in the mountains on steep grades just after I used the manual transmission mode in 3rd gear. The service rep just said to keep driving the car until the next P0733 transmission failure and then bring it back in.

Update from Jul 13, 2019: Hi All, My 2017 Jeep Trailhawk got stuck in 3rd gear in Yosemite again. The check engine light came on. I guess I should be thankful that didn't get stuck in 8th! I pulled over and turned the ignition off for 10 minutes; when I restarted the engine, the transmission shifting was normal??? Go figure!

Any comments would be appreciated.

Update from Jul 15, 2019: The Fiat Chrysler case manager assigned to my case just told me the problem with the Cherokee's transmission getting stuck in 3rd gear could be used error; what does that mean. Has anyone else been fed that line?

- mvidensek, Mariposa, US

Dec 122017

Cherokee Limited 4 cyl

My family is a big Jeep family, that is how I met my wife, we both had Wranglers. Our new 2017 Jeep Cherokee had been a major disappointment. I have to say the dealership that we bought our car from has been great.

We have had the shifter malfunction code show up many times and have taken it in to get serviced 3 times(see later entries). First time was a "loose wire" and re flash the software by the dealership near our house.

- Steve T., San Diego, US