CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2019 Cherokee is racking up engine complaints for suddenly shutting down while driving. But the problem could possibly be related to the increasingly defective 9-speed transmission which suffers from hard shifts, lurching problems, and a wiring harness defect that can cause sudden shutdowns or an unexpected shift into neutral.

8.0

2019 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2019 Jeep Cherokee:

2019 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments

Aug 272019

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L

Going up the Lake Charles Bridge on I 10 at 11:00 PM. My son was in the back and I was driving. There was heavy traffic. All of the sudden, my car lost power. It stopped going. I was pushing on the gas over and over. Depressing the pedal all of the way to the floor. My son was shaken, I was crying, and were honking.

- hisjeep, Enterprise, US

Jun 222019

Cherokee Latitude Plus 2.4L I4 Multi Air

I was driving my New 2019 Cherokee Latitude Plus with only 5,757 miles about a mile from my home. I was driving up a hill and had to cross railroad tracks. As I was approaching the RR tracks it stalls on me. All the light on the panel come on and I have no steering so I was able to coast to a stop. I then put it in park and it started right back up. I went home and called the dealership and they said they want to get the car in immediately to bring it in. I told them no way. They need to come get it. No word so I stopped at the dealership on that following Monday (using my sister Honda Pilot which I now question why I went back to Jeep) but anyway, I talked to the general sales mgr and the head mechanic (which in all surprised was a guy I knew all my life growing up). He wanted to come to my house and see if my oil was low. He said there is a feature for the engines that shut it down when the oil is low. First of all, my car has only 5,757 miles and if it is low why is my engine burning it. So he stops on 6/24 and checked the dip stick and he said it's down 1 quart. And he had one in his truck and would add it now. He asked I drive it and see what happens. I was very reluctant but did. So the next day I was going down the same road and someone stops in front of me to pull into a business and I stall again. I was only going maybe 15 MPH and I got it over on the side and it restarted and I took it back home. Called dealership. They said they would have a rental brought to me on 6/26 and take mine for observation and overall check. So no one call until I called in on Tuesday 7/2. They said they needed me to pick it up and I told them no way. They couldn't find anything. So I suggested why don't they call the Chrysler rep and see what they suggest. So I received a call Saturday 7/6 that they spoke to rep and he told them to replace the solenoid valve b/c it may not be holding the vacuum. So that was replaced. I asked did you see it was leaking/or bad or you just replaced the valve b/c the rep told you. Well it was b/c the rep told them to. So I got it back on 7/8 and I'm very nervous and afraid to drive it anywhere. I saw some many other owners file complaints on this same issue and I feel like a sitting duck for it to happen for the 3rd time. I'm ready to file a lemon law case soon! Has anyone else ever file a case for this issue?

- Tracy M., Karns City, PA, US

Nov 142018

Cherokee Latitude

Brand new vehicle. Engine light comes on, battery goes off. Engine stalls in the middle of traffic. First time they said it was a bad battery, 2nd time said there was an computer update. Got car back yesterday and did the same thing today. Dealer is on way to pick up car. We are in AR so well on our way to the LEMON LAW. UGH. You think you buy a great vehicle and spend a small fortune on it for it to not run!!!

- Betty W., Van Buren, AR, US

Mar 112019

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L V4

Very bad, scary and dangerous experience with this car. The car is stalling while driving, once in the middle of the highway causing the steering wheel and brakes to lock. I almost caused a chain accident with cars behind me. I did take twice to the dealer and came up with some nonsense explanations. I'm very frustrated and upset since this started happening to my brand new Jeep Cherokee. I guess it is a lethal weapon on the road. I'm scared to cause an accident and hurt someone or myself.

- Claudio M., oceanside, US