ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 3 of 10)

Apr 302015

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. When the vehicle was started, the gear shift failed to switch into gears without warning. In addition, the contact stated that the ignition key failed to disengage from the ignition. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the gear shift needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000(electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 149,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 252015

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

It would take me 10-15 mins to start. When your driving it would jerk then on the 4-25-15 at 9 pm I was driving home with my two month old grandson going up the hill I was pushing on the gas it would not move I hate to think if I was on a highway would I be alive today if it stopped on a hill like I said it could have anywhere.

- Lowell, MA, USA

Nov 052014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the vehicle randomly changed gears from drive to neutral without warning. The contact constantly had to adjust the gears while traveling to prevent a failure and a crash. The failure was reported to an authorized dealer months ago and they indicated that the part needed was not available and that they would call the contact when the appointment was available. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train) and stated that the part was not available. The dealer did not provide a specific date for when the part would become available. The manufacturer was contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 135,000.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Dec 182014

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving at various speeds, the engine stalled. While parked, the vehicle automatically went into reverse. Also, the contact stated the air bag warning indicator was illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 158,757. MA 10/6 the consumer stated the while driving the vehicle would stall. When the vehicle was in park it would roll backwards. Also, the air bag light would turn of and on, the dash lights would flash, and antilock on the dash turns on and off. When coming to a stop the vehicle would make a grinding noise. The vehicle was taking to the dealer who advised the vehicle could not be repaired. Updated 3/28/2016 updated 10/05/2015

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Apr 042015

Commander

I was driving on the express way do 70 mph and we hit a bump and the Jeep lost all power. It shut right off. Thank fully we were in the outside lane and could get pulled over. The check engine light came on. Once we got pulled over we shut the key off and started it back up and it was fine. But the check engine light stayed on.there has been a recall on the ignition switch since June of 2014 and the dealership keeps telling me they don't have the parts. This is my only vehicle and I have a child and do not want to drive it now.

- Flushing, MI, USA

Jan 262015

Commander

My Jeep Commander started having trouble skipping. There was a recall on the control module and the fix determined by Chrysler was to re-program it. I took it in to have the recall performed and the transmission check afterwards. When I arrived to pick it up, the dealership said the technician was out sick so all they could do was the recall. The car drove worse after I started home and failed to get transition between gears. I was forced to stop at the closest transmission shop. Their certified technician diagnosed that the transmission was bad. So, I had them they replaced it. When they went to test drive it, apparently the new transmission also failed due to the control module. They took it to the dealership and had a new control module installed. After repairing the new transmission, I was charged $4000. Whatever the recall "fix" for the control module was, it clearly was the cause for the transmission's destruction. The other recall for the ignition could not be done because Chrysler has no manufactured part to fix it. I sold the Commander the next day. I needed reliable transportation. The consumer stated she started having problems with the starter. Updated 04/06/15

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Mar 062015

Commander 8-cyl

My Jeep acts as if I turned the ignition off while going down the road. Today it did it again going down the highway at 65-70 mph. I have no additional keys on the key chain. My seat is slid back and there was no contact with my knee and the ignition switch. I have a 2006 Jeep Commander and have complained about this since 2007. There is a current recall (P41 / NHTSA 14V-438), that I was finally notified about by my dealer a year ago but there are still no parts available to fix the problem. How long should a known safety issue be allowed to go on without a fix. Should we wait for someone to get into an accident and die?

- Wilson, NC, USA

May 012014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. However, the failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power train control module had failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Sumter, SC, USA

Sep 172014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train); however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Dec 012013

Commander 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving at 25 mph, the vehicle veered to the right and the check engine warning light illuminated. In addition, the contact stated that the gear shifter was difficult to shift into park. The contact stated that one month later, the check tire pressure light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) however, the parts needed to do the repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 40,000. Updated 02/24/15 updated 9/13/2017

- Culver City , CA, USA

Aug 152014

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

Bought this Commander 08/02/14, about two weeks after driving it. It started dropping out of gear and getting stuck in 3rd gear. And when driving on the highway it would completely shut down, I sent it back to where I bought it. For them to fix the problem being I haven't even made my first car payment. And the gave me a run around for two weeks saying they was waiting on parts. Then said they had it and had my Jeep for almost 4 weeks. Before getting my Jeep. Now its 01/02/15 and its doing it again. I cant make it back and forth to work. Or get my kids. With my Jeep stuck in third gear and dieing for no reason.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Sep 152013

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving 25-30 mph, the vehicle stalled and the instrument panel flickered. The vehicle was able to restart after numerous attempts. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where the starter and battery were replaced, but the failure recurred. In addition, the horn activated independently. The vehicle was shut off and failed to restart. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the spark plugs were replaced and a tune up was performed, but the failure recurred. While making a turn at 15 mph, the vehicle stalled and the instrument panel flickered. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where the solenoid starter was replaced, but the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the control module and tire harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. On another occasion, the contact stated that the transmission temperature warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where an unknown hose and the water pump were replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failures and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V203000 (power train), but was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The parts were not available to repair the vehicle. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was not available.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Oct 242014

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

As I driving down the highway I can be going between 40-60 mph and if I let off the gas and just coast and then give it gas again its like it is in neutral and it continues to do this until the car is going 20 mph or under and it is very dangerous it has caused me to almost have several wrecks and I have 5 kids which were with me in the car each time this has happened to me something needs to be done!

- Cadet, MO, USA

Oct 272014

Commander

Safety recall N23. I took this vehicle in for the recall in April 2014. I was told the recall had already been performed & no work was needed. They could not give me a date of the previous update for this recall. So the recall was performed on my vehicle at some time. Now I have a constant error flashing "service 4WD system." This vehicle also has no working 4WD low. I feel this is a direct result of the software update that was used for this recall. I do not feel that a software update will correct a cracked or damaged circuit board.

- Radford, VA, USA

Oct 012014

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

While driving at 45 mph the vehicle just turned off. There is a faulty ignition switch recall but Chrysler will not do anything to help get this repaired. I received a recall notice and contacted them but they will not get back to me about repair. This 2006 vehicle is being driven by my daughter who is 19 years old and away at college. Unfortunately my vehicle is a 2007 Jeep Commander and has the same recall therefore I can't even give her my vehicle to drive since it is unsafe as well. At the very least Chrysler should repair these vehicle pronto! in the interim they should provide a safe vehicle for my daughter to drive.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Jul 072014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the esp/ bas warning light illuminated intermittently. In addition, the four wheel drive option failed and the vehicle failed to shift gears. The contact stated that the failures occurred after the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000. The VIN was not available.

- Boulder Junction, WI, USA

Feb 042013

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated while driving at various speeds, the gear shifted into four wheel drive independently and without warning. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken dealer. The technician diagnosed that the final drive controller module needed to be repaired. The failure was repaired but the problem persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Jul 262014

Commander

While traveling on an expressway in central Michigan, I was using the cruise control to maintain a speed of 75 mph. With no warning at all, the mechanical components of the vehicle shut down, leaving my Jeep "dead in the highway". I was able to steer and brake, but the vehicle would not respond to acceleration by pressing the gas pedal. I pulled off to the shoulder, luckily without incident. Turned the key to the "off" position and waited about 10 seconds. I turned the key to the "on" position and it started back up. I cautiously drove at a considerably slower speed until I was able to get to a rest stop. When I got to my destination I found a local auto parts store and had them do a diagnostic check. It showed a maf sensor gone bad. Mass air flow sensor was replaced. Hoping that was the issue, after several days, my family and I headed back home on the other side of the state. While driving about 60 mph with cruise control, there were no issues. I figured the problem was fixed. Unfortunately, I was wrong. As I reached the highway where the speed limit is 70 mph, I accelerated to 70 mph with the cruise control. As soon as I broke the 70 mph point, the car mechanically stalled again as I was trying to merge onto the busy highway. Again, luckily, I made it safely to the shoulder and restarted. I was able to exceed 70 mph on the way home without using the cruise control. Concerned for my pregnant wife, toddler son, and my own safety, as this happened on a busy highway at a high rate of speed; with no warning lights or sounds.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

May 012014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving various speeds, the vehicle decelerated independently. The dealer was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train). The failure mileage was 117,000.

- White Bear Lake, MN, USA

Oct 012014

Commander 8-cyl

My vehicle is a 2006 Jeep Commander that I have had numerous issues with even though it only has about 78,000 miles. I was driving down a residential street when it stalled and after I cut off the engine to restart it the vehicle would not turn over. I had it towed to a repair shop and was told it was the control relay module that was not communicating effectively. I have had the transmission replaced, all the recalls done, and many other things. This is so unsafe and ridiculous. Its nearly $1,000 to have this part replaced, but because it is such a common issue it is on back order. Chrysler should take responsibility for the defective items they produce and sell to customers who bear the brunt of having a barely drivable, money pit.

- Twinsburg, OH, USA