Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 4 of 9)

Jan 102014

After Jeep recall 4 wheel low fails to engage. It gives a maintenance error instead.. this is affecting a lot of the Jeep with the trac 2 system. Look at the Jeep forums. This was the final drive recall.

- Sanford, FL, USA

Mar 072011

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The vehicle rolled away while parked. In addition, the vehicle failed to start on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train). The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Detroit , MI, USA

Jul 182014

Commander 8-cyl

At any speed, anytime, cold or hot, the vehicle will produce a message on the instrument cluster information center stating " transmission over temp ". the vehicle was brought to the mechanic two times already and can't find anything wrong. This message will display on a cool morning upon start up or after the vehicle has been running for some time. The message will not stay on longer than a few minutes, then will turn off. A ton of research has been done and no one has the answer yet. The only thing I came across was to replace the PCM/ECM, someone stated there was a glitch with the computer. Many people have this recurring problem and it can't be fixed yet.

- Farmingdale, NY, USA

Jun 112012

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

Our Jeep doesn't stay in gear, to back up out of driveway must go from reverse to neutral several times to engage. Also will slip from drive to neutral while driving. There have been many, many, times that our Jeep doesn't know it is in park or neutral and will not start until you mess for along time with shifter. Contact was made with dealers in area and they state our VIN. Isn't part of recall. When driving our Jeep has put itself into neutral but shifter is in drive position... please help us..

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Oct 162013

Commander 8-cyl

For no reason the Jeep would just die, on the intrastate, in town, anywhere, just shut off, then after a hour or so it would start again. After being in the shop many weeks for this, the two computers were found to be the problem. Changed the computers, at the fee of almost $ 2000 and no more problems, which the money is nothing knowing my teenage daughter wont stall on the intrastate and be killed. Chrylser Corp can care less !!!!

- Lake Charles , LA, USA

Jul 062013

Hello, my 2006 Jeep Commander started stalling out over a year ago and has stalled on me on and off various times at different speeds but usually at a higher rate of speed, which has been very scary. I have chosen not to drive the vehicle anymore and now it is sitting in my driveway and I am driving a 1991 Honda because I cannot afford to buy a new car at this time. I just paid this Jeep off and now I cannot drive the vehicle. The dealer fixed the one recall on the vehicle called the front control module and it ran fine for a couple of weeks and now once again the car stalled out while I was headed to a camping trip with my kids a couple months ago going 50 mph and almost caused an accident. I was almost hit by a semi and several cars were honking and trying to avoid my Jeep. I lose all power steering and there are no notifications that the car will stall so it is very scary and dangerous for me and my children. I am so upset that I cannot drive the car and feel safe. I have contacted Jeep and they have a recall for 2006 Jeep Commanders that covers up to January 2006 and my vehicle was made in March so they told me there is nothing they can do. The recall was for the PCM which my car has the same code on the diagnosis but now they are telling me to take it to the dealer and I have to pay for this. I really hope that this situation can be resolved by Jeep stepping up and taking care of this issue for the safety of people.

- New Carlisle , OH, USA

Aug 062014

Commander 8-cyl

Everytime I drive my Jeep it stalls and the wheel locks up (basically turns into manual steering) and my brakes lock up ( no brakes at all) and I had just bought this Jeep a wk go from mcgee Chevrolet in raynham MA. The first night I drove it home it stalled pulling in to the driveway. I called the dealership the next morning to tell them and they wouldn't take the Jeep til the following wk to look at it they came up with every excuse in the world. When I brought the Jeep in today they had me sign a deductible of 100 dollars but yet when I first test drove the Jeep it I told them to fix it but all they did was cleared the codes (flashed the computer) now I have a rejection sticker on the vehicle and no car.

- Mashpee, MA, USA

Jul 092013

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The dealer stated that the transmission needed to be replaced and that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V203000 (power train). The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jun 072014

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the instrument panel lights flickered and there was an intermittent electrical short with the lighting on the dashboard and the headlights. The contact stated that at times it was difficult to change gears from the gear box. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who diagnosed that the dialog idle air control valve needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 07V434000 (service brakes, hydraulic) and 13V175000 (electrical system, power train). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- River Edge, NJ, USA

Feb 262014

I purchased this vehicle 2/15/14 three weeks later while driving on highway the gauges just came on and kept flashing it continued for the duration of my drive. Once I got to work and put it in park and turn it off and restarted it nothing happened. So 8.5 to 9 hrs later back on the highway it does it again this time just flashed 3 times. It was taking to a shop per finance company to which the mechanic kept for almost 2 weeks. The mechanic stated he could not find anything wrong with it. He needed to see it happen. So I took it back home the first week nothing happened. Second week nothing that third week it happened again this time while on highway on the way to work my speed dropped from 60 to 5 in less than a second. I pulled over and sat for 2 to 3 minutes an proceeded on with my cell phone ready to snap a picture if it happened again and low and be hold it does it again and this time it was continues until I turned off the vehicle once again it was taken to the shop with the proof he needed and again he stated he could not find anything wrong so he took it to Jeep Chrysler and had them reset everything and gave it back to me. For the next month nothing happened. But the following month once again the problem starts again. But this time it completely knocked out my radio. The finance company want help and I don't know what to do. Today is the 25th of July but two or three days ago there was a recall on 2006-2007 Jeep Commanders for faulty ignition switches. I really do not feel safe for me or my kids in this vehicle but noone seems to care. Not sure what to do about this problem but I truly hope you do.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jul 212014

Commander 8-cyl

Braking to approach a red light at an intersection the brakes felt mushy followed by complete loss of power. I was stopped in the inside lane of a 4-lane hwy at an intersection without power!. after a moment of panic....thank heavens no oncoming traffic behind me....I put the car into park and restarted the engine. I traveled two blocks to where I could safely exit the hwy and park. After a few minutes while I calmed down I proceeded to drive the vehicle to my home. Since that time I have tried to get the vehicle in for a check but cannot get an appointment until August. It has been a few days and I have no choice but to use the vehicle. I have noted some missing and hesitating from time to time but not complete failure. However, I would not take this vehicle on an open hwy as it is performing right now.

- Mccook, NE, USA

May 302014

Commander 8-cyl

My Jeep had an N23 recall performed at park Jeep in burnsville, mn. After the recall was performed, the four wheel drive system low range became inoperable. A message appears on the dash: 'service four wheel drive'. I notified the dealer about his issue. They performed some reprogramming that they said would fix the issue. This reprogramming did not work, as the issue has returned, and my four wheel drive system is not operating as expected. I notified Jeep customer service, and they have no solution for this problem. The dealer has no solution for this problem. About 500,000 Grand Cherokee and Commanders that have this four wheel drive system are affected. No one can guarantee that it will not affect normal operation of the vehicle. And no one knows what the system can do in traffic on it's own without warning to the driver of the vehicle. The N23 recall performed by my Jeep dealer has created this problem, and it needs to be addressed by the manufacturer now. Chrysler/Jeep needs to provide a proper repair so that the owners of these vehicles can count on their Jeep to perform as they were represented to perform when purchased, and with the knowledge that the vehicle will perform in a safe manner with no unexpected limitations or actions as they are driven on the public roads. Search on the internet will show scores of links to this N23 recall created problem, and Chrysler/Jeep's lack of action on this issue. This needs action now.

- Eagan, MN, USA

Jan 132014

Commander 8-cyl

I took my car to the recall to get the reflash in may of last year. When the winter came I tried using my 4 wheel drive and the "service 4 wheel drive" error. Fix this!

- Mount Clemens, MI, USA

May 062014

I had the N23 update done and now I do not have 4 wheel drive - thanks Chrysler another screw up and you won't fix it.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jul 012014

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

After N23 recall was updated 4L will not work. Service 4WD system message appears.

- Mount Sinai, NY, USA

May 152014

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

At startup vehicle info center shows service 4WD system. Vehicle won't shift into 4WD low range if attempted service 4WD message come on and stays on until vehicle is shut off. Recall N23 was performed and now codes had set stopping transfer case operation. Codes C1405 and C140F cleared by dealer and claim it is fixed. Dealer charged for this service.

- Mount Horeb, WI, USA

May 162012

I was driving down a neighborhood street and re-adjusted my seating position. While driving, my knee slightly bumped the key and turned off my car while it was in drive. I then lost power steering and power brakes. Luckily I was moving slowly and could pull over and stop the car. I then tested it again in a parking lot and I determined that my Jeep shuts off every time I move the key with my knee, even while driving. Potentially very dangerous.

- Austin, TX, USA

May 282014

Commander 8-cyl

Driving North from detroit with my uncle, passing a semi on I 75 at about 70-75. The engine just quit, likesome turned the key off. Got to the side of the road, put vec. In park started back up drove home. Took Jeep to al serra, S the 29 th got it back 6/2/14 found no reason why it shut down. June 15 th when driving on bristol road at 45 mph it quit again, took it back to al serra, S 2days later got it back, still couldn't find cause.

- Burton, MI, USA

Jun 012010

Commander 6-cyl

When I purchased the vehicle the car I had problems with the car it would slow all the way down on the freeway.they would always tell me it was nothing. The last time I took it to them they said it was the gear, only because I purchased a warranty. When I go up a hill or turn my car still slows down. I've been paying for a car that has never operated correctly and I can not afford to just get another one it cheaper to just pay the note.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 202014

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while ascending an incline at various speeds, the vehicle suddenly lost acceleration power and fire emitted from under the hood. The police and fire departments were called. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who stated that the transmission needed to be rebuilt. The vehicle was repaired but the contact was then unable to shift to drive. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure and current mileage was 51,000.

- Saint Thomas Virgin Island, VI, USA