2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems: engine stalls/shuts down while driving

Engine Stalls/Shuts Down While Driving

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Page 1 of 3)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The fourth generation Grand Cherokee took the relatively trouble-free run of the 3rd-generation and flipped the script.

From 2010 to 2011, complaints about the vehicle not starting increased 10-fold. In fact, the 2011 model year is riddled with engine problems and a defective TIPM might be to blame. The TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) distributes power to all the eletrical components in the vehicle, so when it starts acting funny so do numerous other components in the car. Orders for new TIPMs were so abundant that parts became scarce, prompting a class-action lawsuit claiming Chrysler ignored this obvious defect.

By 2012 complaints dropped back down by about 80%. Needless to say, if you see a used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a lot just keep walking.

9.0

$1,960

2. replace TIPM module (7 reports)
  3. safety recall asap (4 reports)
  4. replaced fuel pump (3 reports)
  5. replace alternator, throttle body and position sensor (1 reports)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Mar 162018

Grand Cherokee Limited Hemi 5.7L

Similar situation to other posts I have read....just got off highway, making a right turn and the engine shuts off. What I noticed this time is none of the idiot lights (check engine, airbag,...etc.) came on. It looked as if the car was still running. The obvious tell tale sign was loss of power steering but took me a second to notice there were no RPM's. This is twice in about a 3 year period it has occurred. Thank goodness it was light traffic.

- yg15, Chicago, IL, US

Jun 072016

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L

2011 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L

I live in Ontario Canada and I feel all of your plight, let me tell you. Bought my vehicle from Chrysler/Jeep dealer as a lease return with 90,000 kms (60,000 miles). A few short months later it started just stalling out during deceleration especially when turning from expressway, on roundabouts and approaching lights without warning. Dates, times and weather conditions of occurrences were reported to dealer but no codes could be found. I had to drive this potential death trap around with a co-pilot that was supposed to record data codes when the stalling happened for months.

Dealer and then FCA had difficulty reading it. I don’t know if they guessed or not but someone finally figured it to be Transmission Senor Solenoid. Guess what. That’s not it. Stills stalls. It has been in many times for the exact same issue. FCA has been ABSOLUTELY useless and seem to not care in the least. If I hear that it is out of warranty and we cannot extend “goodwill” one more time… Love the Grand Cherokee vehicle. Hate the support.

FCA acts like they have never heard of this problem, then bang, their flagship Pacifica started taking on water this year with the very same problem as my 2011 Grand Cherokee. Wow now it is a problem! Their suggestion to me was to take the financial hit and trade it in. basically make it some other schmucks’ problem. Shameful really. I can’t keep bringing it in a paying for a failed diagnostic analysis with some guesswork part swapped out. My money tree done died. I cross my fingers every time I drive this thing and definitely stay out of the middle lanes. I am going look at recall numbers P54 & P71 which do specifically relate to my vehicle issue which were from some time ago before I owned it.

Very disappointing so far and I am a lifelong Chrysler product purchaser. Fingers crossed but not holding my breath.

- fjn114, Belle River, ON, Canada

Mar 232018

Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L V8 Hemi

Jeep will randomly stall when decelerating or turning. TIPM Module was replaced in 2016, but problem still persists. Every month or so it will stall or wont want to start. Yesterday on a 15 mile trip it stalled twice while my wife was driving it. Luckily she was able to get it started again both times, but God forbid this happens when she is exiting the highway or in busy traffic as the power steering and power brakes obviously stop working as well when this happens.

I see a lot of people posting with the same issue. Has anyone actually found a permanent fix for this problem?

- Patrick V., Jenison, US

Feb 092018

Grand Cherokee

Engine shuts down for no reason. TIPM has already been replaced, twice! Just brought it back to the dealer and they tightened battery cables saying they were a little loose. We are going to pick it up now. We are hoping the issue us resolved. Still very concerned.

- fredjoseph, Trevose, US

Feb 082017

Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L

This is the often mentioned issue of the engine dying while decelerating. It is stated to be a TIPM problem, which I had fixed under a recall service. However, it continues to occur - not often - but still happening. Last issue was several months ago....engine died going around a corner. Previous occurrence was taking a curve on a country road. I will not let my wife or daughter drive the Jeep because if it were to happen while they were driving, they could not handle the power steering going off. This is what makes this a VERY dangerous situation...I have no confidence in the vehicle...when I complain to dealership, they just tell me they did the TIPM fix and they can’t get it to do it. (Geez folks, something that happens every 6 months or so you expect to have happen on a 5 minute drive?). It always starts right back up.

I see someone commented that it would not be good to happen on a mountain road...makes one wonder if this could have been the cause of a mysterious accident somewhere that “just doesn’t make sense”.

It’s been a decent vehicle otherwise....and my 2nd GC. Not sure I’d get another or recommend one to anyone.

- David B., Danville, US

Aug 032017

Grand Cherokee

Driving on the HIGHWAY WITH OUR SMALL CHILDREN in the rain and in the dark and the JEEP COMPLETELY STOPS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HIGHWAY. A SEMI TRAILER SWERVES TO AVOID CRASHING INTO MY CHILDREN. This is the FOUTH TIME this has happened and we are STILL WAITING FOR JEEP TO ATTEND TO THIS. It was supposedly 'fixed" several years ago and it has started again. This car has had NON STOP PROBLEMS since the FIRST YEAR. What on earth is GOING ON???????

- dangerous jeep , sydney, nsw, Australia

Jul 172017

Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L V8

JEEP GC2011 STALLS WHILING DRIVING. ONGOING SINCE 2012; MECHANICS HAVE DONE A LOT OF SERVICE AND REPAIR VERY COSTLY OUT OF MY POCKET EXPENSES BUT HAS NOT FIXED THE STALLING. SAYS IT MAYBE THE ALTERNATOR, THROTTLE OR IGNITION PROBLEM. THE 2011 MODEL SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN THE CHRYSLER RECALL #T36 (NHTSA #17V435). EVERYONE EXPERIENCING THIS CALL CHRYSLER 800-992-1997 TO DOCUMENT AND FILE COMPLAINT WITH NHTSA.GOV!!

- Tr H., Grover Beach, US

Jun 192017

Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8

Repaired on recall in Jan of 2015. Here we go again! Off to the dealer, will they cover it? I doubt it.

- Mary L., Mokena, US

Apr 252017

Grand Cherokee Overland Summit V8

This is the 9th time my car a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit has turned off while driving. Every time it has occurred, was when I was exiting the highway and making a slight turn on the exit ramp. This morning I was lucky enough that there was no car sitting there waiting to get onto the highway otherwise I would have hit them. My car turns off and I lose my power steering and my brakes. This is beyond scary and to the point I am not chancing it anymore and I am trading my car in, which really upsets me because I love my car. It's a 2011 with 48,500 miles on it, and I was hoping to pay it off and pass it to my husband. But I'm to the point where I'm really to trade it in. The fear I have when taking turns, makes my heart race because I never know when it's just going to shut off.

That fact that these complaints have been report since 2014 on this site and nothing has been done is very alarming to me. I get the feeling that Chrysler, isn't to concern about the situation until someone is killed (which who knows maybe someone has already been injured or killed). Every review that I have read, all the mechanics can seem to figure it out. I have my fuel pump replace with the recall, and it's still occurring. Until Chrysler/Jeep gets this figured out and taken care of, I will not buy another Jeep (which are my absolute favorite car).

- Danielle S., Reading, PA, US

Jan 062017

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8

While going into a turn and on the brakes, the vehicle shuts off. No warning given and no codes thrown. This has happened to me on 4 separate occasions and has been looked at by my local dealer twice, have been told they can't find anything wrong with the vehicle. When this happens it is very scary, the last time I was exiting a highway and traveling approximately 40mph. Was able to put the car in neutral and restart but almost ran off the paved surface because of the loss of steering and braking.

- Patrick S., Kingston, MA, USA

Mar 062017

Grand Cherokee 5.7L

This has actually happened to me now 5 different times. I took it into the shop on the 3rd time it happened. I was getting onto the freeway when the engine turned off. I couldn't turn my car, couldn't slam on my breaks, so I just prayed that my car didn't go up the steep hill and roll over. I was scared shitless... When I took it into the shop, nothing was found. This happened in January.

Now since then it has happened two more times. The last being on 3/6/2017. On my way to work, I was cut off by another person trying to catch the next turn. I slammed on my breaks, and boom, engine turns off, steering wheel is locked. Luckily the person behind was driving slower and seen I stopped so she then slammed on her breaks.

This is a huge safety issues that is putting my family's life on the line.

- Alyssa C., Bakersfield, CA, US

Aug 152015

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L

spent $50,000 on an overland had two other jeeps not problems.... Went the to dealer for this tipm module recal P54/nhtsa 14 v-530 recall 3 times... still stalling................they cant seem to fix it.... last week the dealer and the mechanic stated I was low on transmission fluid and that's what was causing the problem.... I have had the vehicle stall over ten times and 11th this morning... .went to the dealer week,,now get service 4wd error message... imagine????????? a dealer messing with your car,,,, any way this is a serious deadly problem that apparently jeep cant seem to fix.... love my jeep but this is B S..... also the heated drivers seat shorted out at 70,000 miles and a water pump bolt came out at 50,000 miles..... I would not recommend buying a jeep at all, there electronics suck... and the company doesnt seem to have fix for this deadly problem.... I am contacting my attorney to see what my options are. The Fight is on... Jeep is selling defective products and deadly ones at that....

And here I thought buying a US vehicle providing us jobs was a good thing...

- Andrew T., McHenry, IL, USA

Dec 302016

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8

Decided to drive the Jeep to work after not feeling safe to do so after the first incident, but I had to as my wife needed the other car for the day. I was driving home after work around 10pm that night, I was taking an off ramp but my attention was taken away for a split second from the rev counter as I watch this religiously now when driving for fear of the last incident, as there are no warning alarms or red lights on the dash to let you know there is a problem. As i went into the corner at about 50kmph The steering lost all power and I was unable to turn into the corner, As I was more aware of the problem I immediately hit the brakes and managed to stop before hitting the fast approaching Guard rail. Another frightening encounter in my Jeep.

As it was holidays and public holidays Jeep was not open. Today I took the vehicle in after having a fight with Chrysler Century City and Head Office about the fact that no-one seemed to be taking this very serious safety issue seriously. They wanted me to wait 9 days before taking it through a diagnostic check??????? Really After having a go at the branch Manager my car was shifted to the front, but I am told the repairs might take longer depending on outcome. Not hopeful at this point but will await the response.

- Garth M., Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Jan 032017

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8

The first incident happened in the begging of Dec. I was driving with my wife, I approached a traffic circle and as I tapped the brakes to slow down and enter the circle I could not steer the vehicle, at this point there was a bit of panic as I had no idea what was happening. I hit the brakes hard as I was about to jump the curb and bounce into the circle. Of course I was nearly rear-ended by a vehicle behind me as they were not expecting the sudden stop. After a few minuets of getting my bearings and calming my wife down, I realized that the vehicle had just shut down, everything was dead. The motor had also cut out, hence no power to the power steering, which was the result of me not being able to steer.

I dare say that if my wife had being driving there might have been a different outcome.I drive the vehicle for a few days as I was very nervous about the same thing happening. I did not feel safe driving the vehicle.

- Garth M., Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Jun 022014

Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L

While stationed in Moron, Spain, my car completely shut down while driving. It was around 0650 at 50 mph and slowing as I approached a stop sign. With no power steering available, I had to strong arm my car into the turn and away from oncoming traffic. I quickly put the car in neutral, restarted the car, and continued to base. I have been deployed twice to Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia and that fear didn't match what I experienced that day. I dread the day this happens while my wife and daughter are with me.

- jamieburdette88, Ramstein-Mesinbach, Germany

Nov 292016

Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.7V8 Hemi

I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.7V8. Started having a problem with the car after having it for 2 years. It would choke and want to shut off in the middle of the road. A recall for the fuel pump relay was sent and we took it in. The repair was done and we did not have any problems for another 2 years. In the last 3 months the car has shut off unexpectedly again while driving. It has done this at least 8 times. My husband, who drives the car, has really gotten close to getting into a serious accident due to this problem. We took the car in the first time this happened to the dealership, paid the $125 diagnostic fee and were told they could not detect a problem. We told our local Chrysler dealership later as we did research that we suspect the Fuel Pump Relay has gone bad again but they say that can't be the problem because it has already been "repaired". The car has the problem the most in the morning when my husband is on his way to work. When we looked on other websites with owners who had similar complaints, these same owners with similar cars also stated they had the issue in the morning. Our concern is that one day this will happen and a serious accident will happen that could potentially take my husband's life. After having spend well over $40,000 on the purchase of this car not including interest charged by the bank for the car loan I don't understand why a permanent solution has not been found to this problem. Many people who have Chrysler vehicles have this problem. It is irresponsible to ignore this, especially when it risks the lives of its consumers. Chrysler needs to come up with a permanent solution to this problem now.

- sierrama, Springfield, MA, US

Oct 092014

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L Hemi

I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I bought new. For the most part, the vehicle has been a good, dependable daily driver. It isn't my first Jeep nor my first Chrysler product and I get along fine with the local dealership but the engine has stalled several times in the past and now has started failing more frequently recently. It throws no code in the computer and the dealership has been unable to come up with a cause or solution, yet I read on sites such as this one of 100s of the exact same complaint. I am taking it in again next week with a case file # from Chrysler to try again to solve the problem. It stalled in heavy rush hour traffic this morning and I felt my ticket was about to be punched!

There is NO WAY this vehicle should be on the road doing what it is doing. If the representatives of the manufacturer, the dealership, can't fix it, you would think that Chrysler wouldn't let it out of the dealership like this!

Wish me a capable and caring technician that cares about saving my life!

- Ethel L., Springfield, LA, USA

Nov 012015

Grand Cherokee Limited Hemi

While driving the jeep shuts off. It doesn't give a code. It doesn't matter how cold or hot it is out, it is very sporadic. I have had it in two different dealerships over 6 times for this problem and have even had a co pilot put in where I thought it was suppose to record the problem but did not. The dealerships have driven it and of course it did not stall for them. It is unsafe to drive. I am at the point of trading it in as I will never fully trust it. The dealerships think they have it fixed and it keeps happening.

I have reached out to Chrysler but they can't seem to figure it out either. Not sure what else I can do at this point. I can't drive it because I am worried it may stall and I will end up getting hit by someone else because I will not be able to get it started in time.

the dealership I have it at now is trying hard to figure it out they have been very good to me with it. The first dealership I took it to would not return call after the fourth time I took it in.

- tammyts, Clarkston, MI, USA

Apr 142016

Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi

My 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee will stall/shut off when driving. Has happened 4 times and is a very dangerous situation. I have noted that it happens while decelerating and taking a turn. Near miss each time. Needs immediate attention.

- pappalardoc, Boxford, MA, USA

Feb 222016

Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L Hemi

In the last 30 days my Jeep has shut down while driving a minimum of 5 times. These shut downs have happened since the 1/2015 recall for the TIPM. I have had diagnostics completed on the Jeep 3/10/2016 with no codes generated, no fixes & no issues note by the dealership that completed the recall repairs in 1/2015.

The Jeep key fobs are not recognized when trying to enter or exit the vehicle. The Jeep will also indicate the fob has left the vehicle when it is still in the running vehicle. The Jeep is blowing thru light bulbs monthly with replacement of fog lights, head lights, tail lights & day time running lamps regularly.

Dealer has no fixes & wants to charge me for each diagnostic for the same issue within 30 days. I feel unsafe driving my financed Jeep. What happens if the Jeep shuts down at night with my kids in the car? No lights, no power & limited control?

Update from Apr 8, 2016: Took the Jeep for diagnostics AGAIN (2nd time in less than 30 days) due to stalling 5+ times over the last month since the 3/10/16 diagnostic due to stalling issues & AGAIN was told they could not find anything wrong with my Jeep. They completed tests on various & updated software in Jeep.

They had no solution other than to allow them to keep the vehicle to be driven to replicate issue or to start throwing money at various parts to see if get resolved.

- Amanda G., Sandusky, OH, USA