9.2

2. warranty replacement of steering gear (1 reports)
2020 Jeep Wrangler steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2020 Jeep Wrangler:

2020 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

Oct 012020

Wrangler Sahara 2.0L

My Jeep started to drift a bit while making turns and over the course a week the steering got so loose that there was a dead spot about 45 degrees each way from the center of the wheel. The wheel would have to be turned excessively to maneuver the vehicle and it felt like it drifted while making right hand turns. At highway speeds it felt like the wheels were jittery or not going straight. It was far too unsafe to drive.

The dealership took it in and told me the part was on 'ordering restrictions' from Chrysler and they could not order my part just yet. It got ordered 3 weeks after I dropped the car off at the dealership and has not shipped yet. They tell me it is on 'backorder' and they have no idea when the part will ship. My car has been sitting on the dealer's lot less than 1 year old for 2 months now waiting for this part to be replaced.

- Michelle D., Lake Worth, US

Aug 012020

Wrangler Sahara 3.6L V6

Just purchased my long dreamed of Wrangler. Have test driven other Wrangler models of the same year (2020) with no discernible issues. Almost immediately felt the steering was very loose but thought it may be the tires or just a Jeep thing.

After driving 500 miles the issue is still there and makes me nervous. Will not let my children (21 and 20 year olds) drive it for concern of their safety.

Have read a considerable amount about this issue and tried airing down the tires to the recommended pressure of 36 but it still wanders in the lane during highway speeds.

I have an appointment with the dealer next week but they said their is nothing from Chrysler they know of as yet to remedy the issue.

Will see what happens.

- Mark G., Ada, MI, US

Jul 192020

Wrangler JL Unlimited Willys Eco Diesel

Just purchased this 2020 Jeep wrangler unlimited Willys on 7/19/2020. driving home from the dealership I was on the highway going 55-65 mph. I was scared, I literally could not keep the truck in the lane. Road conditions were dry, just sun with no wind. I thought maybe they had over inflated the tires or something. Tried to tell myself its just a new vehicle and I have to get use to the feel. We have owned two jeep wranglers both unlimited prior and they never handled like this. The steering is dangerous. Its loose and sloppy making it almost impossible to control. You tend to over correct without the proper feedback in the steering wheel. Its wrong just dead wrong. I do not care how great a driver you are, this truck is a accident waiting to happen. There is no possible way to operate this truck safely on the highway. Even at lower speed on a two lane road it ridiculous. How in the heck does this pass for a safe vehicle. Jeep must address this! I will not carry my children in the truck and I have no way to suck up 53k of American made transportation just to be replaced. STAND BEHIND YOUR PRODUCT JEEP! you failed this run, own it and most of all FIX IT!

- Christina P., Waterford, VA, US

Jul 202020

Wrangler Sahara 2.0L Turbo

I leased a brand new 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara with a 2.0 4cyl Turbo. So I am loving everything about the car except the steering. The steering on this vehicle is TERRIBLE and DANGEROUS!!! The steering is loose, and on it's own, it will drift to either side, right or left, on a smooth dry surface at virtually any speed. It is even worse at higher speeds. It can not steer straight like any normal vehicle.

This is a SERIOUSLY DANGEROUS PROBLEM that JEEP should be instituting a RECALL and REPAIR order for! I've instructed my family members to contact our attorney if anyone is involved in a crash with this vehicle that receives injury, serious bodily injury or death. My family members will inform our attorney that this dangerous problem existed since the day it was purchased and that the manufacturer (JEEP) knew about this from numerous complaints from customers, and yet FAILED to institute a RECALL for repair.

Check online and you will find many owners complaining about their new Wrangler's steering problem. Online aftermarket companies are attempting to sell products that "may" resolve the problem. Why should any new owner have to spend money on an after market product for a brand new car? If JEEP does not initiate a RECALL, I will write complaints and negative reviews everywhere I can and this will be the last time I purchase one. I will recommend to everyone not to purchase a Jeep product because of this gross negligence.

Update from Aug 7, 2020: I sent an email to Jeep customer service via Jeep.com. I also filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). If we all do this, perhaps Jeep will do a recall and fix this dangerous steering issue.

- Andrew C., Allentown, PA, US

Jun 092020

Wrangler Sahara 2.0L Turbo

Bought a new 2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara w/ North Edition. There is about 1-2 inch play in the steering and walks all over the road. Took it back to dealership and after 4 days, they said it was probably the Bridgestone Dueler tires, as they really grip the road....HUH? And, said they checked everything and all was normal. I understand by reading this forum, this is a very common problem and it is just bad business.

- Berhl R., Dublin, OH, US