- May 5: Hyundai Nu Engine Recall Ordered Over Piston Oil Rings recalls | 3 days ago
- April 30: Model Year 2022 Kia Carnivals Recalled For Fuel Leaks recalls | 8 days ago
- April 26: Kia Forte Oil Pump Failures Cause Recall recalls | 12 days ago
- April 25: Kia Recalls Soul and Seltos Vehicles After Engine Fires recalls | 13 days ago
- March 29: Hyundai and Kia Engine Lawsuit Involves GDI and MPI Engines news | 40 days ago
Kia Preliminary Evaluation PE13025: Front Axle Shaft Failure
2014 Kia Sorento
Front Axle Shaft Failure
Power Train:Axle Assembly:Axle Shaft
- In a letter dated August 9, 2013, Hyundai-Kia America Technical Center, Inc. (Hyundai-Kia) submitted two Defect Information Reports (DIR) to NHTSA identifying a safety defect related to fracture of the right front axle shaft in MY 2013 front wheel drive Hyundai Santa Fe Sport vehicles built from July 13, 2012 through March 12, 2013 and MY 2014 front wheel drive Kia Sorento vehicles built from January 7 through March 12, 2013 (Recall Nos. 13V-355 and 13V-356).According to Hyundai-Kia, the right front axle driveshaft may develop a crack in the area of the stub at the wheel end of the shaft due to problems with the stub supplier's forging process for axles installed in vehicles built prior to March 12, 2013.When moving from a stop, the crack can lead to a separation of the shaft, causing a loud noise and loss of motive power.In addition, should the driver fail to engage the parking brake on an inclined surface, the vehicle may roll.In either case, a crash could result.ODI's review of consumer complaints and data submitted by Hyundai-Kia, identified 21 complaints alleging right-front axle shaft failure and 60 warranty claims related to right front axle replacements.All of the vehicles identified in the complaints and warranty claims were manufactured during the vehicle builds periods identified in the DIR.The Preliminary Evaluation is closed.The ODI report cited above can be reviewed at www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchNHTSAID under the following identification (ODI) numbers: 10524563, 10524274, 10508727, and 10505768.
- Documents (5)
Click a tab for more information.