ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2014 Mazda CX-5 electrical problems: will not completely shut down

Will Not Completely Shut Down

2014 Mazda CX-5

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Mazda dealer.

6.9

$360

2. aggressively put it in park (3 reports)
  3. yes, they replaced it or repaired it (2 reports)
  4. relay problem according to service mngr (1 reports)
  5. replace shift sensor (1 reports)
2014 Mazda CX-5 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Mazda CX-5:

2014 Mazda CX-5 Owner Comments

May 102018

CX-5

After reading the problem here and having it happen to myself about 6 times in a 6 week period leaving me with a dead battery twice. I called service. They are ordering the part and quoted approx. $235 for the sensor installed plus tax. The fix in the meantime is make sure that shifter is pushed in semi hard when placing in park. Leave the radio on as an indicator that it is not shut off when you turn off the car.

- Myla N Jimmy O., Boone, IA, US

Sep 092018

CX-5 Grand Touring 2.5L

This is so prominent, Mazda really needs to do a recall and fix this. As a customer who has owned 7 Mazda’s dating back to 1978, not dealing with this is contrary to what I would expect from them.

- Mark H., Oklahoma City, OK, US

Jul 182018

CX-5

My Mazda originally did this like twice a couple months ago I thought it was some weird fluke thing I must have done because it couldn't be replicated, but now it is more and more frequent. My car will not shut off completely and sometimes can take up to 15 minutes to turn off... I have turned it on and off repeatedly which is 1. embarrassing 2. annoying 3. unreliable then when I get back to my car I have trouble turning it on due to the battery being drained and sometimes have to jump the car!! I haven't been using my car to go far and only use it if someone else is home just in case...I am fortunate enough to have another car I can use in all my other instances but this is ridiculous, it's a newer car and would like to use my Mazda to run my business and now I'm wondering if I should just trade it in!!

- Savannah S., Bremerton, WA, US

Apr 032018

CX-5

My complaint is like the others. The car will not shut off. The engine shuts off, put the dashboard lights stay on. Like the other complaints, I do not want to be in a place where the battery dies because the car does not shut off. It's ridiculous to try and put it in park "aggressively". This is an issue, and a significant one at that. I really think this is a recall issue. this is the same complaint over and over again. It is NOT something I am doing wrong. The dealer acts like they've never heard of this issue. Well, they will from now on, as many people are JUST getting to 50,000 miles on a 2014 car!!! Appointment tomorrow. We will see.

- Frank H., Redlands, CA, US

May 012018

CX-5 Sport

Car won't shut off completely after using it. The electrical dash board stays on. It has to be put on park and then drive and then park and then drive again until it finally shuts down. It is annoying and so unsafe!

- Lourdes V., Long Beach, CA, US

Apr 182018

CX-5

I have had this problem off and on for a couple of years. Bought the car new and have not had any other problem with it. This will happen every few months. I may have to start and stop my car 15 to 20 times until the lights go off. Last night I could not get it off after about 15 minutes, so I got out of my car and of course the battery ran down.

I had to buy a new battery and now I carry a tool to disconnect my battery so I can get out and leave my car. The nearest dealer to me is over an hour away. I called them this morning on the way into work and the lady in service said they had never seen or heard of this problem. She told me I probably had rodents that had gotten into my car and chewed up my electrical wires. Wow !!

She said they could get my car in next Wednesday and it would cost me $150.00 dollars for them to bring it in the shop as they could not look at it for free, this is how they make their money she told me. Duh ! And she informed me it would costs thousands of dollars to fix my problem, although she had no idea what my problem was except, I probably had rodents!! We have over 50 chickens and 5 cats we DO NOT have a rodent problem around our homes. Maybe deeper in the pasture but not at the houses.

This problem just comes and goes. I might drive for 6 or more months and not have a problem. Now in the last week and I am having problems everyday. But, it does not do this every time I park the car. WHAT is the problem??????????

- Terri C., Mulberry, AR, US

Feb 222018

CX-5

Just like everyone else said, I'm sure it's a relay issue, not receiving the signal that the car is in park. I spent 2 hours looking through the manual, and searching online for similar issues and finally found the thread on here. Reading through some of the issues the solution of, "aggressively put it in park" seemed intriguing so I tried that. Lo and behold it actually worked and the 4 times I have restarted the car, moved it a little and turned it off again, this issue hasn't popped up again. But, for when it does next time I know the quick fix. Now if only they will ISSUE A RECALL ON THIS!

- Robert H., Milwaukee, WI, US

Apr 102017

CX-5 Touring 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Car ends up with dead battery. part shouldn't have been 300 dollars, and a 100 for labor. should have been on recall since it's a known problem.

- Scott V., Wallingford, CT, US

Mar 312017

CX-5 Sport 2.0L

My 2014 Mazda CX-5 started occasionally NOT completely shutting down when I pushed the ignition button to turn it off about 2 months ago. When this happens I have to start it again, back it up a little bit, pull back into parking space and shut off again. It has at times taken me 2-3 times of doing this before it will shut down. I can go days without it happening then the other day it did it every time I tried to turn it off. It is very annoying and must be a serious electrical problem and I want it fixed before my vehicle goes out of warranty.

Update from Aug 9, 2017: As this problem progressively got worse I spoke with the the service manager at the dealership. He said he has heard of the problem but I was only the second one on a CX-5. I told him he should become familiar with the Mazda complaint site then. He said it's a problem with the relay switch that tells the vehicle that the it is in park. I told him what I do to get it to turn off and he said all I have to do is restart the vehicle pull it out of PARK and aggressively put it back in PARK. He said I didn't have to actually MOVE the vehicle. He said since it was "out of warranty" I would have to pay to have it fixed, but that it's not hurting anything NOT fixing it and that probably in a year or so Mazda would have a recall on it. I said it may not be "hurting" the vehicle but it not only is aggravating it's embarrassing to have a fairly new vehicle that you can't get to turn off. But I have done what he said and have only had the problem happen 2 times in 3 weeks (and that was on the same day). Guess I wasn't as aggressive that day when parking. :-) Hope this helps someone else.

- Debbie E., Jacksonville, US

Mar 012017

CX-5 Grand Touring Not Sure, The Big 4 cylin

My 2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring with 58,900 on it will not fully shut down. It will only go to accessory. I have no idea what's wrong with it. Unfortunately its out of warranty.

- Emily C., Greenville, SC, US

Feb 242016

CX-5 Grand Touring 2.5L

After coming to a complete stop, I put the car in park and use the ignition button to turn off the car. The car does not completely turn off and a prompt appears asking to put the car in park. The car is already in park so i have to press the ignition button again to turn the car on and re-position the shifter into park so the car could actually acknowledge the car is in park. Sometimes I have to do this a few times just to turn off the car properly. This should be a recall. I will not repair this until Mazda comes to it's senses and realizes they have a faulty shifter or sensor and repairs this without cost.

- Kenneth H., Queens Village, NY, USA

May 092016

CX-5

I have been having an issue with turning my car off completely, and it started about a month ago. It is a push-start engine, and when I put my car in park and turn the car off with the button, most of the time, the system doesn't completely shut down. I have to have typically to turn it back on, drive around and then park it.

As someone else experienced, I have same symptoms as him.

The problem always occurs during morning hours when the temperature is around 80-90 Fahrenheit or more. Not sure whether it is because of hot temperatures. I have scheduled an appointment with the dealer next week, hope I can show the problem to them.

- royalred, San Jose, CA, US

Jul 032016

CX-5

Over the past 6-8 months, I have been having an issue with turning my car off completely. It is a push-start engine and when I put my car in Park and turn the car off with the button, about 75% of the time the system doesn't completely turn off. When I open the door, you hear a beeping sound which doesn't allow you to lock my lock or arm the car. The engine is shut off but part of the system is still on. I typically have to turn it on, reverse it, drive it, park it, compress the brake. You have to really almost slam it into park for the vehicle to shut off. Even though I did this Sunday, when I returned to my car, my battery was dead and I had to call for assistance. I'm just 37,000 miles and determining a pattern to the resolve the issue is impossible.

We park it the same way every day and it is fully in 'Park.' Sometimes it takes one time to shut down, other times it's up to ten attempts. Very, very frustrating and I can't promise that I'll purchase another Mazda when my lease is up (soon). It looks like everyone out here who has had a same problem says the dealership cannot find what the true problem is and acts if they've never heard about it. My husband is at the Mazda dealership in Wayne NJ now and (since it's out of warranty, they seem to have found the problem) they say it's the Shifter (whatever). And that Shifter is costing me $400.

- Sandra Walker, NJ, USA

Update from Oct 19, 2016: The dealer would not accept responsibility so I upgraded my complaint to Mazda USA. They were very helpful and also told me that I should've called the dealer so that they could've received approval from Mazda. However, they repaid me most of the cost. I am thankful.

- sandeenj, East Orange, NJ, USA

Apr 222016

CX-5 Grand Sport 2.5L

when I go to turn off the vehicle it doesn't allows shut down all the electrical components, radio, dash lights ext. all stay on until I keep pushing the button without putting my foot on the brake and it will finally turn off.

- rschlosser, Bear, DE, USA

Apr 182016

CX-5

Over the past 3 months, I have been having an issue with turning my car off completely. It is a push-start engine and when I put my car in Park and turn the car off with the button, about 50% of the time the system doesn't completely turn off. When I open the door, there is a beeping noise and I cannot lock my car. The engine is shut off but part of the system is still on. I typically have to turn it on, reverse it, drive it, park it, compress the break, use or don't use the e-brake, etc. (I try a combo until it finally shuts off). I can't determine a pattern to the issue. I park it the same way every day and it is fully in 'Park.' Sometimes it takes 1 attempt to correct, sometimes up to 7. One time I couldn't get it to shut off so I left for awhile and when I came back the battery was dead. It is really frustrating and I can't find any hope in getting it fixed. It looks like everyone out there who has had a similar problem says the dealership can't detect any issues. Any help?

- Keri S., Durham, NC, USA