2016 Nissan Leaf electrical problems: battery runs out quickly

Battery Runs Out Quickly

CarComplaints.com Seal Of

2016 Nissan Leaf electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Nissan Leaf:

2016 Nissan Leaf Owner Comments

Feb 012018

Leaf Leaf Electric

click to see larger images

battery runs out quickly

I needed an electric car because I only use it to go back and forth to a dance studio for a total of approximately 26 miles round trip. The car I was driving (Honda Accord 2012 fully loaded) was too expensive on gas since my husband was driving an SUV. We didn't need 2 gas hogs so I did some research and the 2016 Leaf seemed the best suited for my needs. I purchased it due to the 4 doors, the back seats went down and it was very roomy for a small car, along with them saying, which was the most important factor you get 105 miles on a full charge along with getting rebates from our state and our local valley.

Was very happy with the vehicle until I was driving it for about 1 year and a few months. I knew that you couldn't use your a/c or heater along with the radio at the same time because your battery will run down quickly. I only went about 45 miles at the most in any one day. For the past 6-7 months, the battery would say 100% charged and it would only give about 80 miles. Now, if I'm lucky, on a full charge, it registers 70-75 miles. This is totally unacceptable! As soon as I start driving, the charge % and mileage goes down fast. I enclosed a picture after driving it with the number of miles I traveled and it shows the % and mileage left.

I'm afraid to drive more than 50 miles at any one given time. I stay close to home since every time I run an errand the % charge and mileage goes down so quickly. I do about 95% city driving and 5% freeway driving. I'm usually on the freeway for about 2 miles and then off again. Had I known this when I purchased the car, I would never have purchased the car. A 2 year old car with 16,638 miles on it now only charges at 100% with a mileage range of about 70 miles. Losing 35 mileage range sucks! You really can't use it much. The % charge with 70 mileage range after driving 25 miles when I get home, it will read 40-45% charge left and about 40 mileage range.

To me, Nissan is false advertising the Nissan Leaf! It should read buy the Leaf and the first year only on a 100% charge you can get up to 105 mileage range, then after the first year, you'll only get on a 100% charge, approximately 65-75 mileage if your lucky and drive like a snail. I'm so disappointed in this vehicle. It's depressing to think you're buying the right car for the appropriate reasons and it turns out to a mileage lemon!

Never again, nor would I recommend anyone to purchase any year Nissan Leaf. I answered a Survey for Nissan telling them about my issue a few days ago. I'm waiting to see what happens after I told them about my issue. I feel like walking in front of the dealership where I purchased the vehicle telling everyone not to buy any Nissan Leaf. They are a mileage lemon!!!!

- tapjawgeegm, Clovis, CA, US