ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2013 Nissan Sentra transmission problems: transmission failure

Transmission Failure

2013 Nissan Sentra (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.

9.3

$3,930

1. replacement of the cvt transmission (19 reports)
  3. buy a new car (2 reports)
2013 Nissan Sentra transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Sentra:

2013 Nissan Sentra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 052018

Sentra LV 1.8L V4

• CVT transmission

I had so many problems with this car from the beginning and every time I took it to the dealer they treated me and my wife like we were crazy. First it was insulation. It took them like 15 visits within the span of two years to finally acknowledge the problem and fix it. There was squeaking all over the center console where the transmission is and the dashboard. It was super loud and obnoxious. I had a good run after it was fixed. After it was out of warranty, it came back but it wasn't that loud and not often at all. Something I was able to put up with. Now, I have to pay for the CVT. I never had to fix a transmission in a car of mine. I only remember my dad fixing his transmission in one of his cars and the car had almost 200k miles. This car didn't even have 100k miles. I hate Nissan now and I do not wish to ever own one in my life. I had several Nissans before they became crap.

- Roberto B., Lake Hiawatha, US

Aug 152018

• CVT transmission

2013 NISSAN Sentra bought used from a used car dealer, it had 29000 miles on it. it currently has 52000 miles. It started jerking and then loses power. Then finally it just stopped moving, engine would not even rev. Had to have it towed to dealership, now waiting to here from them it is still under the powertrain warranty. Nissan new they had a problem with this trans.

- Scott J., Henry, US

May 012018

Sentra

I bought the car used at CARMAX in Ontario CA with 41,000 miles. When it reached 93,000 miles there was no warning light, just quit. I went to the dealer. They indicated that there were metal fragments that had exploded inside the TRANSMISSION. I've only driven the 53,000 miles. I didn't buy extended warranty. They give me a number to NORTH AMERICAN NISSAN CONSUMERS AFFAIRS and game me a case number. I have called this damn number every day since my transmission went out. Please help me.

- dale duffey, Grand Terrance, US

Sep 292018

Sentra LX 1.8L

I bought the Nissan Sentra from a used car dealership. It drive just fine but then I started to notice it would jerk sometimes. Nissan told me it was not under warranty and there is no recall. The Nissan consumer affairs representative says they are looking into goodwill assistance. If I don’t receive goodwill assistance I surely will never purchase another Nissan. This is very unsafe, thankfully I took a background home or would have been in a major accident.

- Mll L., Barstow, US

Sep 142018

Sentra SR 1.8L

• CVT transmission

We bought this car to help someone out who was moving to the NYC area and longer needed a car. It has worked well with gas mileage 37 city and up to 43 on the highway. Now however at 85,000 miles, the car stalls immediately when taken out of park and shifted into any gear. No check engine lights, and no codes when I checked with my OBDII code reader.

I had the car brought to my trusted repair garage, they did their diagnostics and said it was a transmission issue. The had it brought to a Nissan dealership where they removed the transmission pan and said they found dark burnt smelling transmission fluid and metal chips. They recommend a new transmission for $3900 + tax.

I called Nissan USA and the guy I talked to offered no help since the car was over the warranty on mileage, even though it is inside the calendar warranty. Now that I have read more about these transmissions I see how many people had had to replace them, sometimes more than once. Nissan extended the warranty to 10yr/120K for up to model year 2010, so they must have been worried about their reputation at some point. Not extending the warranty to newer cars only means they are not feeling enough pain yet. Unless someone car get a class action lawsuit going, the only thing we can do is complain and complain a lot.

- carelations, Glastonbury, US

Jun 222018

Sentra SV 2.2L

I TOOK MY CAR TO NISSAN DEALERSHIP AND THEY WERE SUPPOSE TO FIX THE RECALL AND A HORN ON MY CAR. NOW THEY COME BACK AND TELL ME THE PROBLEM WAS FIXED, THAT I HAVE TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS. I HAVE PAID THEM $600 OR MORE $ AND NOW THEY WANT ME TO PAY OVER $4000 AND MY CAR ISN'T 5 YRS OLD.

- Felicia M., Rayville, US

Jun 082018

Sentra SR V4

• CVT transmission

Bought car with 55,000 miles, only had for 7 months and transmission went. Not a good thing.

- Marie A., Hicksville, US

Jun 192018

Sentra SV

No throttle response. Engine will not rev when accelerator is pressed all the way down. Customer switched off the vehicle and on. Engine responded to throttle for few seconds. Customer stopped the vehicle and placed in parking and applied accelerator. Engine did not rev. It happened when customer was driving on freeway. It’s scary and dangerous if car stops responding in middle of freeway when cars are at great speed. All maintenance was done timely and no warnings before the event happened. No lights or sensors were triggered. This is a very serious problem where people could be killed. This needs attention and a better solution. The car mileage is around 86,000 miles and a car shouldn’t have transmission failure in such short time with regular maintenance and no accident history. Please consider this complaint.

- Kartik V., Canton, US

Jun 062018

Sentra SR

• CVT transmission

WELL I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY ABOUT THIS TRANSMISSION PROBLEM. IT IS REALLY A COMPLETE JOKE FOR A TRANSMISSION TO GO OUT SO SOON. I AM COMPLETELY UNSATISFIED ABOUT THIS PROBLEM ALTOGETHER. NISSAN SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO KEEP A CAR ON THE ROAD KNOWING THAT THE TRANSMISSION IS FAULTY. MINE JUST STARTED AT 115,000 MILES. THE CAR WAS RUNNING FINE UNTIL I STARTED TO FEEL A LITTLE JERK IN IT WHENEVER I DRIVE OFF. HAD I KNOWN THAT THE TRANSMISSION WAS THE FIRST OF ITS KIND I WOULD HAVE NEVER PURCHASED THIS ONE KNOWING THAT IT WAS GOING TO FAIL AFTER EVERYTHING FELL OFF FOR SERVICE.

- ejholliness, Columbus, US

May 212018

• CVT transmission

Really upset with Nissan for not standing behind their product. They have lost me as a customer and NEVER will recommend again.

- Michael H., Rochester, MA, US

Apr 022018

• CVT transmission

My 2013 Nissan Sentra began revving and jerking as I drove to work in rush hour traffic. I had to get off the interstate because the car lost its ability to accelerate. I made it to work but took off early to avoid the evening rush hour. About 5 miles from my home, the car began to rev and lose power so I pulled off the road for 5 minutes then slowly pulled off with my hazard lights on. When I reached my home, I tried to back up into my driveway but couldn't get the car in gear. I called a local transmission shop and had it towed there for diagnostics. They believed it to be the transmission but needed to call Nissan to verify codes. The Nissan dealer asked them to bring it to them because the codes could have been associated with other issues i.e. brakes. After keeping my car for 2 days, the dealer concluded the transmission needed replacing however their cost was almost 3 times the amount quoted by my local shop so I asked the shop to retrieve the car and perform the work. The dealer charge me $142 to verify the codes.

- Mike B., Odenton, US

Apr 012018

• CVT transmission

Called Nissan and asked them why was power train warranty extended for 2010 models to 120k and not for years after it (this warranty extension for previous years covered the CVT)? They said that it all depends on VIN#. What a bogus answer. Nissan has had issues with CVT ever since they came out with it. I hope there is a class action lawsuit for Nissans made after 2010 to cover the cost of replacing CVT.

- sdesai, San Jose, US

Nov 222017

Sentra SV 1.8L

• CVT transmission

The vehicle has been in the shop for a combined total of TWENTY-FOUR DAYS, and counting, to REPLACE & REPROGRAM a CVT. The original CVT had issues at 65,000 miles when I took it to Nissan for the Recall (CVT Software Upgrade) they made the condition worse. I nursed the car along until 140,000 miles (160 miles round trip for work daily. Flat, open highway with 6 stops). Nissan didn't want to take any responsibility for a vehicle that I've repeatedly told them was a problem. Count 'em... THREE CVT's

EVENTS IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER: 11/24/2017 2013 Nissan Sentra towed to AAMCO for inspection/troubleshooting of CVT. 12/06/2017 Nissan Sentra picked-up from AAMCO with 1st Remanufactured CVT. Cost: $4,200.00. 12/07/2017 Sentra owner paid AVIS $573.00 for car rental while Sentra was being repaired. 02/06/2018 Nissan Sentra returned to AAMCO after ~6,000 miles for not shifting correctly and RPM’s spiking. 02/17/2018 Nissan Sentra picked-up from AAMCO with 2nd Remanufactured CVT. (Warrantied). 02/18/2018 Sentra owner paid Enterprise $454.00 for car rental while Sentra was being repaired. 02/20/2018 Vehicle owner returned Sentra to AAMCO again after 500 miles for CVT not shifting properly and RPM’s spiking. No Codes. 02/21/2018 The vehicle owner, per AAMCO’s recommendation, took the Sentra to AutoNation Nissan Tempe for diagnostics. The vehicle owner was told the TCM reprogramming never occurred after installation of both the 1st and 2nd CVT’s.

SYNOPSIS: AAMCO Transmissions and Total Car Care was paid $4,200.00 for replacing a CVT with a remanufactured unit which was provided by Nissan. The vehicle was returned to AAMCO twice within 7,000 miles after not operating correctly resulting in one complete replacement of the remanufactured CVT the first return, and troubleshooting/diagnostics the second reman unit. AAMCO reported to the vehicle owner that AutoNation Nissan Tempe questioned if the vehicle owner had abused and/or neglected the vehicle in any way after the first remanufactured CVT had been installed, which would then void the Warranty. Neither AAMCO (which installed both remanufactured CVT’s), or Larry H Miller Nissan (Which provided both CVT’s) communicated, and/or followed proper procedures after installation of a Continuously Variable Transmission. AutoNation Nissan Tempe is now charging the vehicle owner a Diagnostic fee and Reprogramming fee totaling ~$300.00 (AAMCO has offered to pay $135.00 of this amount) despite the issuance of NISSAN Technical Bulletin SB-10058388-9756 CVT REPROGRAMMING dated August 13, 2015. AutoNation Nissan Tempe has also recommended a system flush due to a high temperature error which occurred while driving the vehicle for less than 500 miles after the installation of the second CVT. Autonation Nissan suspects this second replaced unit is now damaged also. This cost is also expected to be paid for by the vehicle owner. (UPDATE 2/27/2018: 2nd Reman CVT has failed. Nissan & AAMCO have no clue how to work on CVT’s)

AAMCO Transmissions and Total Car Care, Larry H Miller Nissan, and AutoNation Nissan Tempe failure to communicate and/or perform proper maintenance procedures, as well as follow documented procedures, along with trying to find fault in the vehicle owner for the subsequent CVT failures, delayed the necessary repairs and return of the vehicle to the owner within an acceptable period of time. The incurred cost to the vehicle’s owner due to this failure on their behalf, thus far: $4,200.00 CVT REPLACEMENT $1,027.00 VEHICLE RENTAL $ 300.00 DIAGNOSTICS & REPROGRAMMING $ ???.?? SYSTEM FLUSH

- srg18, Kearny, US

Feb 082017

Sentra SR

• CVT transmission

First Nissan I ever bought. Anything and everything went wrong with car Yes everything was covered and the dealer always gave me a loaner but in the first 3 years the car was in shop 6 times, all for different issues was a royal pain in the ass. Will never buy a Nissan again.

- Brian G., Chesterton, IN, US

Aug 232017

Sentra SR 1.8L

• CVT transmission

This car was purchased new and my wife drove it 99% of time. Generally, I'm taking care of my cars, making sure all the maintenance is done on schedule. My wife complained "car rattles and lost power". I've drove it and my first impression was it is something rattling in driveline or heat-shields, but it would not explain the definite loss of power, which was not profound, but definitely noticeable. Symptoms developed very fast, so the day after I took car to the dealer, who initially diagnosed it to heat-shield and was in total denial to check on transmission before fixing heat-shield. Ok, I assumed they require a $400 bribe for access to warranty service, fine, do it. After that, mechanics ears suddenly found rattle and loss of power and told "ha, that's your CVT transmission". I had transmission replaced under warranty with a REMANUFACTURED unit. At that point, I had no confidence in Nissan taking care of it properly, so car was sold as soon as I could offload it for fair price. I have 3 more Nissans on hand now, 3 more in the past... not sure how confident I am to get any more of them reading all complaints to their last generation of CVTs.

- Andriy F., Sterling, VA, US

Dec 232017

• CVT transmission

I bought my Nissan Sentra brand spanking new in 2013. I figured I would buy this car and be able to give it to my daughter as she would be driving in a few years and I could get my dream car. Here we are 4 years later, my daughter is 16 years old and a licensed driver. The car will be paid for in about 11 months and low and behold a complete transmission failure. The car will not shift into gear and a Nissan dealership has confirmed that despite regular recommended maintenance the transmission will need to be replaced.

- Kay B., Summerville, US

Dec 152017

Sentra SV

I purchase this Nissa Sentra 2013 at Harrleson Nissa and have kept the car in top natch shape meaning having the oil changed as indication and all the other aspects of the car. I had notice that the car was not pickin up speed slowly moving while turning into lanes and just recently the transmission light came on and while putting the car into care to move backward it was hard to put into drive and when putting the car in the drive gear it would not move forward only backward. Now the car is undriveable and out of warranty. I need help with this transmission problem.

- Belinda W., Charlotte, US

Oct 182016

Sentra SV 1,8

• CVT transmission

Took a week to repair, was told rebuilt transmission had a 5 year ,60,000 mile warranty, not true, had the remainder of the original 5 year,60,000 mile warranty ,I.E. 3 years 14,000 miles.

- Arthur K., Hicksville, US

Jun 242017

Sentra SL V6

Me and husband got the car 2/14/2015. We only had it a two and a half years. It had 59,000 on it when we got it. When me my husband first got the car we told the merchant that the car was pulling funny and having problem going up a hill. Me and the merchant went for a ride around the block from the store and he stated there was nothing wrong with it and he also told me that's the way V6's run. They don't have that much power.

- debra.burdette0827, Morrow, US

Jul 172017

Sentra V4

I love my 2013 Sentra, never thought the transmission would go at 4 years old? I was hoping to have this car for at least 10 years -- sort of grow "old" with my car. This is so upsetting to me -- Never expected this to happen.

The cost to repair the transmission is $4200 -- I do not have the funds to pay for this fix -- I'm assuming I will have to have my car towed back to my house :(

I came from a Nissan Family and everyone LOVES their Nissan. It's hard for my family to believe this has happened to me. I have been helping a sick friend, taking him to the doctors, helping him get his medicine etc. now what?

- Theresa S., Warrenton, US