CarComplaints.com Notes: Subaru thinks burning through a quart of oil every 1,000 miles or so is perfectly normal. That's a crude stance if you ask us.

2015 Subaru Forester engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Subaru Forester:

2015 Subaru Forester Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Dec 312019

Forester

The contact owned a 2015 Subaru Forester. The contact stated that while driving at an undisclosed speed, pulling into a parking space, and while attempting to park the vehicle on the street, the vehicle experienced unintended acceleration. The contact had to depress the brake pedal several times before the brakes were engaged. The failure occurred on two separate occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the dealer could not replicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and was later sold to St. Cloud Subaru (141 Park Ave S, St. Cloud, MN 56301). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately under 60,000.

- Woodbury, MN, USA

Dec 312019

- Woodbury, MN, USA

Aug 072021

Forester

This 2015 Subaru accelerates without warning and without gas pedal input. The issue arose about a month ago (July 2021) and has persisted ever since. The vehicle will rev while in park and once put into drive will jolt aggressively and without warning. Additionally, the vehicle will enter low-power mode at random and decelerate to 15-20mph. This has caused multiple hazards when driving on highways/interstates where pulling over is difficult or impossible.

- Littleton , CO, USA

May 212021

Forester

The 2015 Subaru Forester accelerated unexpectedly while slowly turning into a a Walgreens parking lot. The acceleration could not be stopped by stepping on the brake, and the car crashed into the brick building. The vehicle is at Phil's Auto Body Shop in Rosemount, MN. The estimate on the car is complete, and waiting on State Farm insurance to approve. The police were at the scene of the accident. Walgreens has video of the accident from their security cameras.

- Farmington, MN, USA

May 082021

Forester

Auto accelerated unexpectedly after leaving car wash bay. Auto sped through parking lot into street and crashed into another auto traveling on a road.

- Mansfield, MA, USA

Apr 072021

Forester

Suddenly it started to accurate and the other was all in bord control system default are lighting

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Dec 132020

Forester

The contact owns a 2015 Subaru Forester. The contact stated that while driving, the vehicle experienced an unintended acceleration, causing the speed to increase to approximately 62 mph after leaving from a stop light. On another occasion while driving, the failure recurred and the driver downshifted to slow the vehicle which caused damage to the transmission. The cause of the failure was not yet determined. The local dealer austin Subaru located at 8100 burnet rd, austin, tx 78757 and the manufacturer were notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 134,000.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 252021

Forester

I have experienced unintended acceleration during my ownership of my 2015 Subaru Forester xt while I was stopped on a city street. There is also a "lunging" feeling whenever you press the acceleration of the vehicle after proceeding from a complete stop.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Nov 172020

Forester

On 3 separate occasions, my car has shutdown on the highway at speeds around 75-80 mph. They all happened during road trips while my car was between 1/8 and 1/4 tank. The car has a noticeable drop in power, which feels like the transmission disengages and applying more gas doesn't help. This is incredibly dangerous!!!! luckily I was in the middle of nowhere on all 3 locations so I was able to pull over without incident. The car will not start, until more gas is put in the car. It's not out of fuel though because I tracked how much gas is in the car and how much I filled up after towing. This only happens after driving for multiple hours. I can run the car to empty if I'm just driving around town. A recall needs to be issued for this issue. I can see there have been tons of complaints around this issue.

- Holladay, UT, USA

Feb 012019

Forester

Eyesight system fails regularly or does not work at all. This impacts all proximity warnings, automatic speed control and wheel slip control.

- Alameda, CA, USA

Sep 172020

Forester

Car in motion. Happens on a stop, parking the vehicle in progress, driving slow. When pushing gas pedal slowly from start point; vehacle speed up so much that I have to press brakes pedal to hold the speed down. Happens once every other time.

- San Rafael, CA, USA

Jul 252020

Forester

While driving on the highway at 65mph the car lost all power. The rpms went up like it was in neutral (car was still in drive). Fuel tank was down to a little less than 1/4th of a tank but still had 100 miles until empty. Adaptive cruise was engaged at the time (automated cruise applied accelerator that rose the rpms to 4500). This was in the middle of a 4 hour road trip on a flat straight road. Car exhibited no warning or lights until complete power was lost. I was able to safely pull over to the shoulder. All lights came on in the dash after I was stopped. I turned the car off and I was able to immediately start it again. Shortly after I filled up the tank and the car drove fine for the next hour until I was home. This was a scary incident that could be very dangerous. I noticed that this car has about a dozen other reports that are much like this in the past year.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Oct 122019

Forester 4-cyl

This is an intermittent problem. The vehicle surges sometimes and misfires when it cold starts. I took the car to the retailer, they did not found any issue. Only the differential oil was changed. They told me to return if the problem occurs again. Again it came back and intermittent. I am sure retailer will not be able to find the problem again. It is sudden loss of powers for couple seconds and it a hazard on the road. Hope there are recalls on this issue.

- Troy, MI, USA

May 012020

Forester 4-cyl

While driving in the highway at 75 mph with cruise control on the car suddenly went to 5000 RPM and at the same time started to brake all the lights in the dashboard came on I pulled over and the car's engine shut down. I tried to started about 5 06 times the car wouldn't star and after that the car was completely dead. I had it tow to a shop. The next morning it started like nothing the mechanic at the shop said it was the battery.after changing the battery I took it to the gas station after putting gas it wouldn't start again after several tries it started.at this point I don't think the battery was the issue but I am glad I got home. This happened in starkville ms 200 miles from where I live.

- Collierville, TN, USA

Jul 202019

Forester

I drove into garage at about 1 M.P.H. and put the car in park. After idling for about 3 seconds the engine accelerated to 2,800 R.P.M. and stayed there, I couldn't get it to slow down. I pressed on the accelerator many times, it wouldn't slow down or speed up. It just stayed at the same speed. Pressing the brake pedal didn't do anything. I got it stopped by turning off the ignition. When this happened the check engine light came on. I got code P2138. I am replacing the accelerator pedal position sensor as I am afraid to drive it.the car is exactly 5 years old, I bought it new. It has 16,552 miles on it now. I was very lucky it was in park when it did this. I hope the new part fixes it.after 4 restarts the check engine light went out. I took it for a short drive, and the engine kept wanting to run fast. Two days later it seems ok, it slows down now.

- Yankton, SD, USA

Jun 302019

Forester

We were driving in the freeway at 65mph, we had been driving about an hour, on the freeway with some traffic but mostly moving normally. Suddenly with no warning nor engine lights, the car reved but didn't respond to the gas pedal. As though it had run out of gas. The low fuel light had gone on already, it turns on around 70 miles to empty, but we still had 50 miles to empty. We pulled over and called roadside assistance to deliver gas since that's all we could figure had happened. After about 30 minutes waiting we decided to try it and just see if it would start and it did! we drove to the next exit and got gas with no further problems, and continued on home after. This was very scary and left my family sitting stranded on the side of the freeway. No engine lights, no codes, nothing obvious to fix. Now I'm nervous to drive with my kids in the car in case it happens again.

- Fair Oaks, CA, USA

May 242019

Forester 4-cyl

Twice while driving on the interstate on a 3-4 hour trip going approximately 70 mph using cruise control with approximately 1/12 - 1/6 tank of gas, my engine began to rev and at the same time lost power and speed. The first time I pulled off the road, shut the engine off, waited approximately 10 minutes and was able to restart the engine and finish my trip. It happened the second time with mostly identical circumstances. I pulled off the road, turned off the engine, waited and was unable to start the engine. I had to tow my vehicle to a dealership. They ran diagnostics with nothing turning up. They were however able to start the car when they tried. This was extremely dangerous being in 70 mph traffic and having no speed control. I have the dealership paperwork from the service. Now the engine does not seem to have the normal power it usually does when accelerating.

- De Soto, KS, USA

Apr 192019

Forester

On 2 separate occasions was driving my 2015 Subaru Forester (touring edition) at highway speed, 70 mph, the car lost power and started decelerating. Luckily both times I was able to get over to the shoulder. The car re-started after awhile. The first time the low fuel light was on but I had over 50 miles left according to fuel sensor. The second time, a month or so later, no low fuel light was on. There were 2 bars left on the fuel gauge. Again car totally decelerated and then a few minutes later was able to be driven. Subaru dealership claims they have not heard of this problem but someone did call them about it the day before I called. I am scheduling an appointment where they say they will do a diagnostic on it. I am seeing multiple complaints on this exact car on carcomplaints.com this is an extremely dangerous problem and Subaru should not be waiting for fatalities to happen before recalling these cars.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Apr 052016

Forester

When stopped in traffic car hesitates, stalls and stumbles to accelerate for a few seconds. Unable to shift from 1st to 2nd smoothly (stuck in 1st gear?). was rear ended when unable to accelerate at light. Dealer did software update that did not fix problem, still ongoing

- Malverne, NY, USA

Apr 112019

Forester

In heavy traffic my speed control failed. The engine rpms went down by themselves while I was driving on freeway. The gas pedal completely unresponsive.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA