Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 1 of 17)

Mar 092018

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. Consumer writes in regards to ABS break actuator failure. The consumer stated the manufacturer was notified and did not offer any assistance due to the vehicle being outside of the 10 year warranty. The consumer requested to reimbursed for the repairs.

- Durham, NC, USA

Mar 012018

Brake actuator failure

- Yuba, WI, USA

Feb 232018

Camry Hybrid

While driving down a busy city street the 'check vsc system' message suddenly appeared along with many other warning lights on the dash and a warning sound. Braking and steering became very difficult. Luckily, I was able to pull over into a parking lot and get out of traffic. My car has had every manufacturer scheduled maintenance service performed for the life of the car.

- Citrus Heights, CA, USA

Nov 162017

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. When the contact applied the brakes, the ABS and vsc warning indicators illuminated. The contact had to apply force to the brake pedal to stop the vehicle. A mechanic was unable to replicate and diagnose the failure due to the dtc not being illuminated when it was inspected. The vehicle was taken to a dealer (nashville Toyota North, 2400 gallatin pike N, madison, tn 37115, (615) 868-7990) where it was diagnosed that the brake actuator needed to be replaced with a warranty repair. The dealer and the manufacturer indicated that the warranty enhancement was no longer available and the vehicle should have been repaired before the campaign ended on August 31, 2017. The contact received no documentation from the manufacturer pertaining to the warranty enhancement program. The manufacturer stated that they were aware that the failure was a known issue and there was a technical service bulletin on the brake system. The contact refused to repair the vehicle and indicated that the contact needed to replace the part. The approximate failure mileage was 76,000.

- Hermitage, TN, USA

Dec 132017

Camry Hybrid

Brake actuator failed, triggering warning lights and making it hard to push on the pedal to stop the car while in motion. ABS function won┐T activate. The issue started in May 2017 and was taken to a Toyota dealer in lufkin, Texas for diagnosis. The technicians "couldn't" determine the problem and released the vehicle. This same step happened multiple times over the ensuing months, only to be finally diagnosed on Dec 13, 2017. I researched the issue online and found that the actuator problem is covered by a ┐warranty extension, ┐ which stretches out the warranty period beyond the standard three years or 36 months to, ultimately, 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. I thought that was good news, but after speaking with Toyota corporate rep, the warranty was denied due to the vehicle being out of the coverage period since June. I explained that there were attempts to have the issue diagnosed prior to the expiration, but the rep stated that since the actual determination happened outside of the period, coverage could not be extended. Since this is a known issue, their techs should have recognized the problem immediately and repaired the vehicle, which would have been covered by the extended warranty. Furthermore, it's a safety issue and an actual recall should be the remedy instead of working around it with a "service campaign." I am asking for assistance to have Toyota cover this repair due their failure to educate their service techs or a potential deliberate attempt to move the diagnose outside of the warranty coverage period.

- Georgetown, TX, USA

Dec 082017

Camry Hybrid

The vsc warning system came on including several warning lights. The ABS actuator failed. I am told this is a known issue but is out of warranty and the repair is $1500-$2000. This should have been recalled.

- Brandon, FL, USA

Dec 112017

Camry Hybrid

Today, December 11, 2017, while driving my 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid vehicle on a city street in traffic, the 'check vsc system' warning came on. All dash lights including 'brakes' came on and vehicle became difficult to stop. There was no power assisted braking. Brake pedal was hard to engage and when vehicle came to a stop, there was a single "knock or bang" sound. This warning had come on previously without braking issue until last week when my wife told me she had a similar problem driving home from work. I cleaned and subsequently replaced the gas cap as per a you tube described repair of the check vsc warning. I then drove the car intermittently since that time without incident until today. My wife experienced the problem 12/7/2017.

- Beechhurst, NY, USA

Oct 292017

Camry Hybrid

The hybrid batterie is not responding with the cars velocity. It turns off in the miďdle of my trip. I worry for my saftey and my families bcus I fear to have an accident due to that reason

- Bell Gardens, CA, USA

Nov 172017

Camry Hybrid

Driving normal and brake light indicator lights up with vcs message and power brakes fail. This is an intermittent problem on highway or local roads.

- Elkridge, MD, USA

Oct 302017

Camry Hybrid

I needed to slow for traffic congestion. I applied the brakes, but they didn't seem to work. Several lights on the dash came on including the check hybrid engine, the check vsc system, and the ABS lights. The power brakes were off and it became difficult to stop. Then the vehicle's engine stopped completely requiring me to maneuver out of heavy traffic to the shoulder of the road. I turned the car off and waited 10 minutes. I was able to drive the car to a Toyota dealer who said sometimes this happens if gas cap is loose. I was told I could leave and they would troubleshoot for a couple of hours and a couple hundred dollars. I left and conducted my own troubleshooting on google and sounds like a brake actuator problem due to similar issues with other owners. Toyota has a know issue with this vehicle and needs to make amends. Please advise.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Oct 212017

Camry Hybrid

"ABS actuator" Toyota knows there is an issue with the 2007 Camry hybrid ABS actuator, my dealership informed me 10/23/2017 that my ABS actuator is going out. If this happens it will be hard to stop and or steer my car which is a very dangerous situation. I want to be sure this issue has been lodged with the NHTSA.

- Brusly, LA, USA

Oct 212017

Camry Hybrid

"ABS actuator extended warranties", in 2014 my car had two issues with the ABS actuator and my dealership was unable to get the diagnostic code from them. Now my car is displaying "check vsc system" and many lights on my dash. When I brought it in to my Toyota dealership they said it is the ABS actuator and it needs to be replaced. Toyota had 2 extended warranties for trouble with the ABS actuator. Both of these warranties have now expired so my ABS actuator cannot be fixed under the extended warranties. Because of this faulty part at anytime I am driving I can lose braking and steering power. I had filed a complaint before with your Agency for this exact issue but there was no way for me to have the part changed when the extended warranties were in-force because the problem did not occur and as I said earlier my dealership could not get the diagnostic code from the first time these issues occurred.

- Brusly, LA, USA

Oct 102017

Camry Hybrid

Brakes go to the floor. 3 years ago, there was a extended warranty enhancement for a internal leak in the brake actuator assembly (C1391). The repair was covered under the extended warranty. Now, the exact same problem has occurred again. However this time, its past the warranty period and is a going to a 2K repair. This is a major safety issue that should be a recall, not an extended warranty.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Oct 122017

Camry Hybrid

For several weeks prior to 10/12/2017, I had been noticing a squeaking noise when depressing the brake to start the car and sometimes when the car was stopped at a light. I brought the car to the venice Toyota dealer on 10/05/2017, and was told that the ABS actuator was failing. On 10/12/2017, all of the brake warning lights came on on my dashboard: ABS, traction control, etc., as well as the words "check vsc system." On 10/13/2017, I had the actuator assembly replaced by venice Toyota, at a cost of $1990. Three years prior, in January 2014, I had already had the actuator assembly replaced due to the very same failure.there were many reports to the NHTSA at that time for the same make vehicles and year range. Several months later Toyota issued a vehicle warranty enhancement for the actuator system, and I was eventually reimbursed by Toyota for that repair. But now it has happened again three years later. Clearly there is still a weakness in the actuator system, and I even wonder if my system was replaced by the exact same unimproved parts. Toyota is unwilling to accept any responsibility for this failure or for its repair. My car has low mileage for its age, currently at 95,000. Also, I only put on 26,700 additional miles since the actuator system first failed 3 years ago.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Sep 042017

Camry Hybrid

When I start the car brake light is on and after few minutes message comes as check vsc system and its not going away.

- Canton, MI, USA

Aug 262017

Camry Hybrid

Toyota Camry hybrid 2007 engine oil burning too fast, I drive only 1500 miles after changed my engine oil. In the last time it was decreased 1100 miles. Also my engine covered by engine oils and liking everywhere. Second, I drove yesterday and my brake stuck and cant stop. It was happened me second time.

- Arlington, VA, USA

May 162016

Camry Hybrid

Brakes went soft, loud squealing noise all lights on dashboard and check vsc system

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Aug 112017

Camry Hybrid

At all times, when the car is on, the ABS actuator assembly is running almost constantly and there is an audible leak from the unit. The dealership diagnosed the leak in the anti-lock braking unit today and said it was not covered under Toyota's service extension program. I don't understand how this is not safety related, yet what brought me into the dealership was a safety recall on the power window master switch assembly. Imminent loss of braking seems much more dangerous than power windows, but I guess Toyota doesn't think so.

- Warrensburg, MO, USA

Jun 012017

Camry Hybrid

Vehicle was stationary with the engine on. In 2014 Toyota issued a warranty enhancement notification - ZE1 for the brake actuator assembly issue. I took my car to the dealership and the problem was corrected. A month ago (2 years later) the same exact symptoms occurred (same 5 warning lights). I called Toyota and they said since my vehicle was already corrected, the warranty enhancement ZE1 no longer applied. Seems to be a recurrent problem that Toyota should warranty.

- Boise, ID, USA

Jun 012017

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that the vsc, ABS, hazards, and swerving vehicle warning indicators illuminated. Also, an amber colored symbol with an explanation point in the center illuminated, but the contact was not sure what the warning indicator implied. The failure occurred a total of four times. The contact had not taken the vehicle to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and opened case number: 1707270334. The contact researched the carfax information and found that the vehicle's year, make, and model was under investigation for similar brake issues. The approximate failure mileage was 53,000.

- Norco, CA, USA