ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: The Camry Hybrid's first year is a mixed bag of brake actuators failing and power issues. The hybrid version even shares the same excessive oil consumption as its non-hybrid counterpart. And it hardly gets enough fuel efficiency gains to warrant the extra costs up-front or during repairs.

Toyota seemed to get their act together with later model years, so if you're looking for a used Camry Hybrid I suggest looking there.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 1 of 18)

Jul 252018

Camry Hybrid

Vsc ABS mil lights came on in dash and brakes sank to floor, but restored control after restart. Checked diagnostic codes and it showed codes for hybrid battery P0A80 and P3025. Replaced auxilary battery with oem from Toyota. Now car shuts down while in motion driving highway speeds without any warning and lose gas pedal response. First time it happened with my family in the car including a 5 yr old and 9 month old baby. Complained to Toyota as vehicle only has approx 93000 miles and Toyota declines to assist with resolving issue even though warranty was extended to 10yr/150K miles. Dealer misdiagnosed vehicle codes. Brakes failed second time, this time causing car to slowly bump into object and scraping bumper at low speed. Checked all fuses. Vehicle now continuously shuts down randomly on slow or high speeds, while making a turn, merging into traffic, crossing a heavy intersection.

- Chester, VA, USA

Jun 012018

Camry Hybrid

When I drive this car I press the brakes and they do not engage or they engage on a delay.. while driving I attempted brake to slow entry into uphill driveway. All lights on driver panel lit up. Brakes did not respond to slow down or stop. With full force I depressed brake pedal. This is happening from last couple of months.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Jul 112018

Camry Hybrid

On my 2007 Camry hybrid, as I was reversing, the brakes all of a sudden engaged, braking so hard it felt like I hit something. Soon after, the brake light, traction control and ABS lights turned on, and check vsc system displayed. Vsc warning lights and display message intermittently turn off and turn back on arbitrarily.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Jul 042018

Camry Hybrid

Brakes depress more and take more pressure to brake. 06/4/2018. Car vibrates when braking over 50 miles per hour. Brake fluid reservoir was replaced 10/22/2016

- Grand Junction, CO, USA

Jul 072018

Camry Hybrid

Driving on a highway at 70mph when the dashboard lit up with several lights, including emergency, brake and ABS, and a check vsc system indication. Luckily, I was able to cruise and carefully apply the brake at several intervals to stop. This is an ongoing and known ABS actuator problem in 07 Toyota Camry hybrids. The Toyota dealer will not cover the $3K cost to replace the actuator because it is past the 10 year limit. Please either issue a recall or extend the warranty. This is not safe for consumers.

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Jun 302018

Camry Hybrid

I just found out that my brake actuator is failing. Toyota apparently issued an ¿enhanced warranty¿ rather than a recall to fix this known defect despite the safety risks for all drivers if another driver's brakes fail. I am under the mileage but about a year beyond the extended warranty date. Toyota corporate will not cover the fix and said this is their company position. I feel this should be a recall for the safety of all drivers. (when I brake the brakes make a ¿barking sound.¿ this is what prompted going to the dealer.)

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jun 192018

Camry Hybrid

My 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid started experiencing an error message displayed on dash, "check vsc system", additionally all the indicator lights on the dash lit up. This started happening at the end of March 2018. I have an obd2 reader and the fault code was "C1391". I was able to erase the code and dashboard returned to normal but message and lights return 2-3 days later. In mid-June 2018 I took the Camry to Toyota to repair it. They did a diagnostic test ($109) to tell me what I already told them regarding the code. I knew that was the brake actuator assembly problem. They gave me a a quote of $1895 for part and tax and an additional $340 plus tax for labor. I picked up my car, did not have the $2400 to get the work done (parts also would take 2 days to get). They did warn me against driving the vehicle until it was fixed. The technician also pointed out the odd motorized noise the actuator was making when the vehicle was off. He said it shouldn't make any noise when it was off. After further research on forums, I found there was a Toyota warranty enhancement program ZE1 specifically for my vehicle for the replacement of the brake actuator assembly (see attached). It was issued in July 2014 to offer full replacement and reprogramming at no cost to the customer. However, it had dated conditions and was only applicable if the lights and messages came up on dash. Although the sound has occurred since I purchased the used car in Jan 2010, I did not receive lights or message until March 2018 but the grace period ran out on July 2017. Toyota should honor the extension of the replacement program when the problem occurs if they won't proactively resolve it prior to the indicated signs. Toyota is warning me to fix this at my cost or risk brake failure at any time.

- Holloman Afb, NM, USA

May 052018

Camry Hybrid

Faulty ABS actuator and pump leading to difficult braking. Priming noise apparent during driving and while parked. Never received notice of service recall campaign from Toyota a few years back. Sadly, it is now a few months past the 10-year warranty and Toyota will no longer service the repair.

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Jun 122018

Camry Hybrid

I own a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid I have had his car for 4 years and have been very satisfied with it till yesterday as I was driving down the road and my all the sudden this loud buzzing noise started I tapped the brakes and had no brakes I was going 55mph and had the brake to the floor with very lol brake I had to shift down to slow the car down thank god no one was in front of me or I would have wrecked. This is a faulty part from what I have read about and it's serious ! this should be a recall matter it's the braking system and brakes are needed ! my car has over 150000 so it did not qualify for the safety campaign. Also my understanding is there had to be a problem before it could be covered ! if I would have wrecked with my grandchild in this vehicle I would have a lawsuit against Toyota on this matter !! this needs to be looked into and should be recalled !

- Rustburg, VA, USA

May 112018

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. When the vehicle was started, the ESC warning indicator illuminated and a beeping sound was heard. The vehicle was towed to the dealer (fox Toyota, 228 fox family lane, clinton, Tennessee 37716) where it was diagnosed that the brake actuator failed and needed replacement. The vehicle was awaiting repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200,000. The VIN was not available.

- Columbia City, IN, USA

May 172018

Camry Hybrid

Complete brake failure!!I was driving down the road approaching a stop light when my brakes went all the way to the floor and a lot of lights came on the dashboard, I coasted to a stop luckily without hitting another car. This is the first time this has ever happened, I have no warning lights indicating there is or was an issue and I had my car towed to the local mechanic that is telling me that it has a faulty brake part #4405030660. I did a little research and it looks like Toyota sells an updated part replacement for this faulty original part, part cost is $1200 plus $700 labor. Reading many forums I'm finding out that there are many people that have had complete brake failure over the years with this same issue and id love to know why this isn't a recall but a punishment from Toyota and a death sentence just waiting to happen.

- Springfield, OR, USA

May 102018

Camry Hybrid

Anti lock brake actuator failed at approximately 104,000 miles. A warning light just came on the dash and we took it in for service the following day. Toyota customer service advises there is no recall even though it's a safety issue. They have issued an extended warranty for 10 years or 150,000, whichever comes first. Our vehicle was purchased 10 years and 10 months ago so it's not covered, even though our mileage is 2/3 of the extended warranty. We feel it should be covered under a recall since it is a known safety issue for these vehicles.

- San Gabriel, CA, USA

May 082018

Camry Hybrid

I was driving on the road at a speed of 35 miles per hour and all of a sudden the "check vsc system" light turned on my dashboard and the brake of the car became loose. When I try to slow the car down by applying the brake, it wouldn't let me do so. I was approaching the traffic light and I had to press the brake too hard so that the car can stop. Finally, I was able to stop it by applying the emergency brake.

- Springfield, VA, USA

May 072018

Camry Hybrid

Vsc system suddenly failed without warning while driving and breaks would not work

- Upper Darby, PA, USA

Apr 242018

Camry Hybrid

I just purchased the vehicle used at a dealership only to find out that the burping noise coming from the brake actuator and the constant running noise every 7 seconds was the part needing to be replaced again. Toyota stated I had just missed the 10 year extension on the part replacement, even though the car has 70K miles on it, and would have to pay approximately 1700-2600$ for this replacement. Recall this part Toyota! how long NHTSA ?

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Mar 262018

Camry Hybrid

I was driving my Camry and as I approached traffic stopped at an intersection. I began to apply the brakes to slow down and stop when the brakes effectively quit. The instrument panel warning lights and warning horns began going off and I swerved off the road to avoid hitting the stopped cars in front of me. I down shifted the transmission and set the parking brake to bring the car to a stop. Needless to say it caught me by surprise and I am just glad I was driving and not one of my 16 year old twin boys! I was able to get into the parking lot of a close by gas station where I noticed the ¿check vsc¿, ¿brake¿ and ¿ABS¿ lights were all illuminated. At this point the brakes felt as if the power braking was inoperative. I slowly drove the vehicle to the nearest Toyota dealership and after doing a diagnostic test, the service team representative informed me the mechanic found the¿ ¿brake actuator is continually running. Losing pressure.¿ although there I was able to avoid an accident, had the area to the right of the road not been clear, I would have probably hit several cars stopped at the intersection.

- Newnan, GA, USA

Mar 242018

Camry Hybrid

Faulty ABS controller affecting everything from the battery charging, ac, ABS and vsc control system worse case causing brakes to fail.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Mar 092018

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

2007 Toyota Camry hybrid. Consumer writes in regards to ABS break actuator failure. The consumer stated the manufacturer was notified and did not offer any assistance due to the vehicle being outside of the 10 year warranty. The consumer requested to reimbursed for the repairs.

- Durham, NC, USA

Mar 012018

Brake actuator failure

- Yuba, WI, USA

Feb 232018

Camry Hybrid

While driving down a busy city street the 'check vsc system' message suddenly appeared along with many other warning lights on the dash and a warning sound. Braking and steering became very difficult. Luckily, I was able to pull over into a parking lot and get out of traffic. My car has had every manufacturer scheduled maintenance service performed for the life of the car.

- Citrus Heights, CA, USA