ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2010 Toyota Corolla steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Corolla:

2010 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 1 of 18)

Oct 162018

Corolla

Sudden failure of my car's power steering: I was driving at abt 50-55 miles per hour at I-880 going North, I was making a lane change because my exit was approaching, when all of a sudden, I lost my power steering, my steering wheel became super hard to move or turn, and I almost hit the rear-right side of the car in front of me, which was at the same lane. I was able to change lane but it was a very close call for collision-accident. I was told that my car has electric power steering (eps). Such eps should have a back up system, or such failure should not happen all of a sudden--in a blink of an eye. Without a back up system, such sudden failure could result in fatal accident. It was too scary, panicky, N stressful for me. Then, when making a left N a right turn, because of my super hard to turn-steering wheel, I suffered a sprain N pain in the left side N the right side of my body. The mileage of my car was about 106470 miles when it happened.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Jan 202016

Corolla

Power steering has noisy either left and right turn all the times.

- Damscus, MD, USA

Mar 022018

Corolla

When turning the steering wheel it seems to just lock up and doesn¿T want to turn, and I have to force the steering wheel to turn. It happens about 2 to 3 times a week. I was almost hit by a car the other day because I could not get turn the corner fast enough because I was trying to turn the wheel. It also feels like it's locking up when I am driving down the highway also. I read hundreds of other complaints regarding this exact same issue on other 2010 Toyota Corollas.

- Newburgh, IN, USA

Jan 032018

Corolla

When I am driving my 2010 Toyota Corolla S on the highway at speeds of over 50 mph it does not stay straight. It requires alot of strength to keep it straight. It feels like the car is being moved to the right or left by winds. Feels very unsafe to drive. The steering wheel is so stiff to turn sometimes. I have done the wheel alignment several times and put on new tires recently but the problem still remains. Very unsafe to drive and I get very tired after driving at highway speeds just maintaining in my own lane. The dealer's are not much helpful at all with this. I've read online alot of people having problems with this make and model with the steering. There needs to be an investigation on this soon because it's very dangerous to drive.

- Iselin, NJ, USA

Oct 302017

Steering hard turn hard moving to speed 55 miles hour

- Stamford, CT, USA

Oct 192017

Corolla

At approx 1730lt today 10/19/2017 car driven from work parked in the drive way no problem at approx 1745 lt started car to leave driveway and no power steering.... unable to drive car. Will contact dealer Toyota of West kendall as this seems to be another ongoing problem with the Corolla

- Miami, FL, USA

Sep 022017

Corolla

My son got in a crash this past Saturday. His steering wheel completely locked up as he was turning coming out of an intersection and he crashed into a guard rail. We filed a police report and they confirmed he was in this single car crash with no other reason for the crash.

- Gilford, NH, USA

Jan 192017

Corolla

Starting about 6 months ago vehicle began showing signs or problems described in T-sb-0140-10 titled steering on-center feel. Vehicle is near impossible to stay in a straight path over speeds of 30-40 mph. Vehicle is long since past, warranty, 2010 Toyota Corolla w/>106K. Original tsb dated June 3, 2010 instructed that Toyota would repair without charge by replacing computer assembly, power steering if still under warranty, have come across numerous complaints and feel there should be further investigation to institute a full safety recall for this make and model.

- Athens, AL, USA

Jul 092017

Takata recall

- Augusta, GA, USA

Jun 082017

Corolla

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. While driving 65 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who was unable to diagnose the issue. The vehicle was not repaired and the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that there were no recalls on the issue; however, there were other open recalls on the vehicle and assisted the contact with making a repair appointment. The approximate failure mileage was 59,444.

- Wanaque, NJ, USA

Mar 102010

Corolla

Takata recall.........Toyota has almost a year to fix this problem. Please make it where my friends can ride in the front seat. This is ridiculous. I purchased this car because of Toyota's safety rating March 2010, the next day there was a recall and it has gone down hill since. I paid cash money for my car and cannot afford to purchase another. If the airbags or any other safety recall is not fixed asap and something happens I or my heirs will own Toyota! and takata! get busy!!!!!! nothing happened yet but does it have to?

- Statesboro, GA, USA

May 012016

Corolla

Takata recall steering column power window

- Plano, TX, USA

Jan 172017

Corolla

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that various warning indicators illuminated while driving on the highway and the battery died. When the battery was jumpstarted, the power steering was lost. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,843.

- Clifton, NJ, USA

Sep 012016

Corolla

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. While driving 55 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. In addition, the contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to make turns. The power steering warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V168000 (steering). The failure mileage was 278,950.

- Washington, NY, USA

Jul 142016

Corolla

Electronic power steering cuts out without warning. Power steering has intermittent failure of power steering, no indication of failure, no dash lights, it just fails. City traffic, going to pull around a truck and no power steering. The car only has 43,000 miles and has been dealer serviced its entire life.

- Bensenville, IL, USA

Jul 152016

Corolla

At approx 11:30 pm on July 15th 2016, my fiancÉ, myself and 2 of our friends were heading home from downtown miami on I-95. It was raining extremely hard, so everyone was going well below the speed limit. I would approx we were going 35-40 mph. The car in front of us slammed on his breaks due to the rain coming down extremely hard, and I proceeded to do the same. However instead of my car breaking, it began accelerating 10-15mph. Luckily there were no cars to my right and I was able to veer out of the way of the car in front of us, or else we would of been in a horrible car accident and possibly dead. As expected, my fiancÉ is extremely shooken up by what happened. I know this is a known issue with the 2010 Corolla and I have taken my car in for all the recalls and inspections but obviously there is something still wrong with the 2010 Corollas because I almost died tonight die to unexpected acceleration

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Jun 162016

Corolla

When vehicle is on reverse while parking and turning the wheel all to the right, the wheel tends to lock and resistant occurs.it can happend while in motion or stationary.

- Howard Beach, NY, USA

Feb 162016

Corolla

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. While driving 70 mph, the steering wheel seized. As a result, the contact was unable to steer the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was unable to be diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Smithfield, PA, USA

Jan 102016

Corolla

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle swayed left and right without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it could not be diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 107,200.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

Dec 082015

Corolla

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. While driving down an incline at approximately 30 mph, the vehicle began to pull to the left independently. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Washington, DC, USA