8.7

$1,520

1. replace brake booster and booster pump assemblies (3 reports)
2010 Toyota Prius brakes problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Dec 012022

Prius 3 1.8L

Waiting to hear from Toyota Customer relations, if any help at all.

Update from Jan 12, 2023: Toyota really nice on the phone, BUT will not assist as past extended recall. Just replaced battery pack, then this brake issue. Had two worst engineering problems go out at the same time. Too bad, liked the car, never do it again. $2800, then $3200 for a 2010 Prius.

- tjoyce1, San Antonio, US

Dec 012022

Prius Hybrid 1.5L

I traded for this vehicle at a car dealership, drove it around the block, it drove well and didn't see any warning of what was fixing to be a major problem. I purchased the vehicle, drove it home and nothing unusual was going on. The next day I went to drive it, the Brake Booster Pump Assembly warning lights in the dash came on and would not go off. I called the dealership that I bought it from and they said that since I did not purchase an extended warranty with the car, that there was not much they could do. I told them that maybe I didn't purchase an extended warranty with the car but, I did not expect to have a major issue with the car two days after I purchased it. I would think that if something goes wrong with the car or I'm not satisfied with it, I would have 72 hours in which to take it back.

I researched the 2010 Toyota Prius and found out that there was a recall for the very issue I was having and that Toyota directed dealerships to repair the issue free of charge but... the recall was from March 2009 thru October 2009. However, I noticed another customer extension of the recall to November 2019. This does not bode well for me in my situation because I am 3 years past that date. I don't know what recourse I have now but, I continue to search for other information. I haven't written to Toyota North America yet but, I may have to. I really enjoy this car but, whatever happened to fair treatment under the law of good conscience and equity? I would expect bad treatment from a fly by night car dealer with 10 or 15 cars on the lot where you buy there and make your payments there but not from a reputable car dealership. Any suggestions would be appreciated as to what recourse I have.

Update from Dec 14, 2022: I just want to add that any suggestions for recourse to address this issue would be greatly appreciated as soon as possible, because the time of purchase and what I thought may be a 72 hour window to address my problem with the dealership is slipping away - and they may say I have had the car too long in order to return it or get it fixed. I might have to search for it but, I honestly thought that a customer has a 72 hour window to reject a purchase for cause. Thanks!

- Jerry C., Warner Robins, US

Nov 032020

Prius

Upon starting the car one evening, brake, ABS and traction control lights all came on. Checked brake fluid and it was at max level. Took to dealer and diagnosed code 1391. It's a known failure of the brake booster and booster pump assemblies. Toyota had a voluntary recall out for this that expired in 11/19 or if under 150,000 miles. I'm less than 1,000 miles OVER that. Active recalls still open for 2011-2015 models.

How is it that they know about this for my 2010, had one and now won't cover this faulty part? It's a $3000 repair cost. This showed up on a vacation trip and we're also looking to have to have it towed to the repair shop because from research it seems unsafe to drive.

- Jennifer J., Austin, AR, US