8.0

$2,300

2. replace engine (13 reports)
  3. partial engine rebuild, pistons, gaskets, rings (11 reports)
  4. dealership said it's normal (6 reports)
  5. rebuild engine (5 reports)
  6. partial rebuild of pistons, gaskets, and rings (4 reports)
2010 Toyota Prius engine problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Apr 042016

Prius Limited

Have to add a quart of oil every 2 fill ups or about 1000 miles.

- Denis K., Freeville, NY, US

Sep 142021

Prius IV 1.8L

I purchased a used 2010 1.8L Toyota Prius with 109,000 miles in 2013. It was well maintained and didn't use oil.

At about 150,000 miles it was using about 3 quarts between oil changes. It gradually got worse and when it approached 200,000 miles it was using a quart every 1,000 miles. It now has 230,000 miles and uses 1 quart every 400 miles.

There are no detectable leaks and there is no smoke coming from the exhaust system. The garage floor is clean and the car appears to otherwise function normally. It doesn't make sense. It seems there is nothing a person can do outside of getting a new engine. This is an obvious design/manufacturing issue that should be recalled. Toyota knows this and knows it is a systemic problem affecting many other of their models.

Sorry, Toyota. You should stand up and do what is right. Toyota always seemed to be the preferable brand. A leader in the industry. Apparently that was just an image many of us were led to believe.

BTW. Where is the media on this? I will forever avoid Toyota in the future.

- Ken B., Grand Rapids, MI, US

Oct 252019

Prius

I bought the Prius used 4 years ago. It has always burned oil. It began hopping down the road. I took it to Toyota, who reported the oil extremely low and told me I needed a new engine for $4998.00. I had refilled the oil a month before and always checked it between oil changes, because it burned oil. It had never burned that much before. I drive about 500 miles per week and have never had a Toyota fail at 200K miles before.

- Mamie R., Holt, MI, US

Jun 012016

Prius

I have to add two quarts about every 2 -3 weeks. There is often excessive smoke in the exhaust.

- Michael M., Boulder Creek, US

Mar 122019

Prius III

My 2010 Prius was able to go 10,000 between oil changes without issue and then it suddenly started consuming oil excessively when it reached around 100,000 miles. I now get the oil changed every 5,000 miles, but I still have to add 4 quarts of oil in between oil changes. There are no puddles of oil anywhere to indicate a leak, and there's no black smoke coming from the exhaust to indicate it is burning. I'm not sure where the oil is going, but is definitely not in the engine. I understand that older vehicles need to have the oil checked and topped off regularly, but going from 10,000 miles between oil changes to having to refill 4 quarts of oil after around 3,000 miles, it's ridiculous. There was supposedly a lawsuit about this, and I heard that Corolla and Camry had a similar issue and the engines were replaced under a recall. Please recall the Prius and fix this issue!

- Jaime F., Belleville, MI, US

Jul 012017

Prius IV 1.8L 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

I have a 2010 Prius with 200,000 miles. It burns 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. For my car, the oil light came on because it ran out of oil between dealership scheduled oil changes around 120k. So I start adding oil between oil changes. Then the engine started to shutter and run bad around 150k miles. Dealer said I need a new air intake manifold $800 repair. What I discovered is, when they begin to burn a lot of oil, probably from bad rings, the oil combines with soot and clogs up small ports in the air intake manifold. You can clean this manifold and the car runs great again, for about 10k miles until the ports clog again and your engine runs bad again. I changed the PCV valve, but oil consumption continues. I installed an oil-catch-can and it appears I only have to clean the air intake every 20k miles, a great improvement. I cleaned the ERG cooler also, which was completely clogged at 180k miles. That's how I deal with it. Add some oil every gas tank fill-up, clean the air intake manifold every 20k (with catch can installed), empty the oil-catch-can every 500 miles. Car runs great and it must. I still owe $7000 on this car that I got from Toyota Dealer. This car needs to last 3 more years and make it to 330k before it's paid off. I'm stuck with this lemon. As an Uber driver, I drive 45k a year with over 24,000 people through my car now, I'm ashamed to say what a crummy deal I got with this car. They ask me about my car all the time. I certainly cannot afford another car. Toyota really let me down. The dealership did not make it clear they burn oil at anytime, even after I complained about oil consumption. They did a test, told me it was fine. Next thing I know my oil light is on in between their oil changes. They did not say to add oil between oil changes EVER. Just "It's fine." Ya, it says in the manual it's acceptable if it burns oil, but I did not think I needed to check the oil between my dealerships oil changes. Wrong.

- Robert B., Columbia, US

Mar 162017

Prius Prius IV Model 1.8L 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

2010 Toyota Prius is burning over 1qt engine oil per 1200 miles. That means, using Toyota's recommended oil change interval, you have to add 10 quarts of oil between oil changes!!! And that's in an engine that only gets filled with 4.4 quarts of oil during oil and oil filter changes.

Toyota headquarters and Toyota dealerships claim this is perfectly normal. They likely knew there would be a problem, because the manual claims that burning up to 1 qt every 600 miles is normal. That's nonsense and unacceptable, and a huge environmental waste.

The only way to get action out of Toyota is to file a lawsuit; otherwise, they just stick their heads in the sand and deny there is an obvious problem. The days of being able to recommend Toyota are obviously over.

- priusoilburner, California, US

Nov 062018

Prius 1.8L 4 cyl

My husband is a mechanic and checks my fluids, especially when taking long trips. He noticed my consumption of oil is in need to report. So I did with the dealership. They recommend for $1967.42 they would disassembled the engine and check pistons and rings. This price is only for dissemble only not additional labor to re-install engine. I said, no thank you. So my husband said, just check the oil stick every week and if low just add oil.

Well, my vehicle just had its manifold EGR ports cleaned out for under 400.00 dollars because of it burning the oil... I have 145,000 miles now and is very concerned for the future of my Prius... Not sure what to do yet, but researching my options for the coming year. I don't want this to become a constant dry well of pouring my money into just to get better gas mileage. I would rather have a reliable car with less gas mileage and know my car is healthy and not consuming so much oil and clogging up the manifold EGR ports again. I've done my part on keeping it updated and checked by the dealership and taking care of it.

Thank you for telling me your complaints knowing I am not alone on this issue. I can see by every bodies complaint that the dealership will not address this major problem or will Toyota. Well maybe it's time to look at the Hondas....

- Shelli M., Holtwood, PA, US

Jan 202019

Prius

Out of warranty. Class action settlement did nothing for me. I would have never bought the car if I'd known the engine would only last 135K miles. I own 4 Toyota's and will never buy another one. This is a design problem affecting multiple models and years.Toyota knows about this and refuses to assume any responsibility. It's a poor way to do business and since I influence and decide corporate purchases for a billion dollar company, my company will not purchase Toyota products.

- Cecil C., oceanside, US

Jan 012017

• CVT transmission

There is an obvious problem with the 2010 Prius and its oil consumption. What's the point to saving fuel if you are just burning through oil at a rate of a quart every 600 miles.

- Chip D., Tuckahoe, NJ, US

Dec 012016

Prius

It is painful and scary because you never know when the engine oil is burned out and will cause engine failure while driving.

- Shengli W., Windsor, ON, Canada

Dec 302015

Prius

Call Toyota Corporate and they said there was nothing they could do since it was past it's normal warranty, nothing about my extended warranty that would have covered it.

- Garry G., Decatur, IL, US

Jun 132017

Prius III

• CVT transmission

So as an avid Prius Lover I found it had to publicize this issue. My car has used at least 1 quart of oil per Thousand miles driven for at least the past 18 months. Now we are to the 1 quart of oil consumption per every 300 to 500 miles. Toyota says if it happens before 36,000 miles of use they would deal with it. Now it is sorry Charley! In addition there is a cylinder 3 misfire code that re occurs. Now @ 286,000 miles. As a point of reference My 2001 Prius accompanied me on 345,000 miles and even at that age only used only 1 quart per 5,000 miles.

- John M., Spencer, NY, US

Jun 062014

Prius Level 2 1.6L

• CVT transmission

Excessive oil consumption, quart every 500 to 750 miles!

- David C., New London, US

Jan 012018

• CVT transmission

My 2nd largest complaint on the 2010 Prius... First (which might be related) is a extremely loud knocking noise on cold start; I am aware it is normal for cars to start rough when it’s really cold - but never would I expect my Prius to sound like a Mack truck starting up. So now we’re just over the 100k mile warranty and BAM the car starts drinking oil... in the beginning I got the empty light (and dry dip stick) so I filled her up and took it in right away to make sure someone didn’t leave a filter loose. Everything checked out, so I asked them to do everything possible to clean the engine; ran me a few hundred bucks.

Get home and less than 4K miles later the light came on again - dip stick dry Again! Back to the dealership we go. “Oh we’ve been noticing this a lot sir, but to be honest it’s acceptable to burn 1.5 quarts of oil per 1k miles”... I now keep oil in the back of the car and check the dip stick frequently like one of my old beater cars.

Used to love Toyota, came from a family of Toyota owners and I love technology - so the Prius has always been a vehicle I wanted to own; prior to these two major issues I was still going to purchase another Prius in the future because every car company is going to have bugs in a new generation first year model. My opinion of Toyota has now drastically changed and I no longer plan on purchasing this brand. I know other owners experiencing the same issue with newer models, and to have a company tell me 1.5 quarts of oil is acceptable to burn every 1k miles is just ridiculous. BUYERS BEWARE!!!!

- Warren B., Saint Robert, MO, US

Mar 012016

• CVT transmission

I took this into the dealer when I noticed the oil level was down after 1500 miles. They ran their "test" and said it was normal to lose a quart in that number of miles...have NEVER had this happen on any other car with much higher mileage (have a VW Touareg with 270k miles and it doesn't consume even 1/4 quart in 8kmiles!!). Concerned about both the pollution from the burned oil...and the impact this is having on the catalytic converter.

- Kevin K., Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States

Dec 012016

Prius 2 4

• CVT transmission

The Prius burning through one quart every 1000-1200 miles is a pain-in-the-ass. My elderly mother uses this car as primary for driver Dad and herself to doctor's appointments etc. As savvy as Mom is about stuff, her hands are so fragile that the act of lifting the hood ( heavy for my Mom) and then trying to twist the oil cap off, harder still, and what about the plastic cover? If she has to add oil she will have to use a funnel..more fine-motor-skill which is hard on her hands; she is not strong enough to remove the plastic cover so access to the oil fill-hole is difficult which is why she is forced to use a funnel. The local three Toyota service departments are pleading ignorance to the second warranty fix.

- Quentin D., Jemison, US

Oct 092017

Prius

I haven't even paid this car off and now they tell me I need a new engine?! The service techs at the dealer where I bought it were very nice and apologetic but "there's nothing we can do. It happens sometimes." WTF?!

My extended warranty expired at 100k - I am now at 109k. I invested in a Toyota as opposed to a cheaper vehicle so that I could drive it for 200k. Now I have to replace the engine or the car... or check the oil every time I stop for gas.

Will never buy another Toyota. If I want a car to need a new engine at 100K, I'll buy something much cheaper next time.

- Mari D., Arvada, CO, US

Aug 012015

Prius

Bought certified used 2010 Prius with 1warranty and 800.00 bumper to bumper additional warranty with 55 k on it at purchase.

Changed oil at dealership per recommendation. Orange light came on and dealership said I was down 3 1/2 quarts. Never told my my oil was low on visits so I didn't worry about it. Its a Toyota, right? Using a quart to 1000 miles at 105 k when problem discovered. Dealership and Toyota warranty said it was normal and refused to pay. Offered to tear down engine AT MY EXPENSE if the problem wasn't a warranty issue. At 130 k started making major engine noise at start up. Now its blowing oil and using a quart per 400 miles and looks like the engine will need major/ repair or replace at 150k. This is a joke.

- Eric S., Pottstown, US

Mar 032017

Prius

Noticed that the engine oil light was coming on as I took sharp turns. So checked the oil. Down 2 quarts. Brought it in to dealer . They ran test on it and said it was common for Prius to use as much as a qt. of oil every 600 miles. I hit the roof!!!. They pointed out that it is in their manual. They are correct.The solution they gave me was to replace the engine. Ended up having to check the oil and add on a continual basis. Took a long trip with the car. The vehicle died on me at the farthest point (of course). Had to have the vehicle towed back at a cost of over $600. Took the car to my mechanic. Found out the intake manifold was almost completely blocked with carbon deposits from the burned excessive oil residue being recirculated back through the egr valve then into the engine. I have corresponded with Toyota but since I am not a resident of the 8 states that have filed an injunction against them requiring Toyota to extend the mileage warranty for this issue I 'm out of luck. Getting rid of the car this Spring

- Paul H., Evansville, US