- September 9: Gulf States Toyota Recalls Highlanders and Highlander Hybrids recalls | 13 days ago
- August 1: Toyota Dealer Roger Hogan Sues Toyota Over Recall Program news | 52 days ago
- July 25: Toyota Sienna Sliding Door Lawsuit Says Systems Are Defective news | 59 days ago
- July 22: Toyota Recalls Avalon Hybrid and Camry Hybrid recalls | 62 days ago
- July 20: Southeast Toyota Distributors Recalls Tacoma and 4Runner recalls | 64 days ago
Delays In Shifting, Lurches Foward, Engine Races
2003 Toyota RAV4 (Page 3 of 3)
CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.
In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 103,793 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 54 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace transmission and computer (17 reports)
- not sure (13 reports)
- replace ecm only! (11 reports)
- replace the computer system (8 reports)
- problem repaired at no cost to me (3 reports)
- recall (2 reports)