- October 19: Toyota Recalls Sienna Minivans Over Rollaway Risk recalls | 2 days ago
- October 8: Toyota Camry Air Conditioning Smell Lawsuit Will Continue news | 13 days ago
- September 22: Toyota Recalls Land Cruiser, Lexus LX470 and LX570 recalls | 29 days ago
- September 9: Gulf States Toyota Recalls Highlanders and Highlander Hybrids recalls | 42 days ago
- August 1: Toyota Dealer Roger Hogan Sues Toyota Over Recall Program news | 81 days ago
Problem With Ecm
CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.
In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 117,086 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 17 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace faulty ecm (13 reports)
- replace ecm (3 reports)
- not sure (1 reports)