ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

7.8

$1,890

2. replace engine (14 reports)
  3. replace the piston rings and head gasket (9 reports)
  4. new piston rings (3 reports)
  5. not fixed, just a lot of $ out of my pocket (2 reports)
  6. plan to just add a quart of oil every few weeks (2 reports)
2006 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota RAV4:

2006 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jan 102015

RAV4 V4

Noticed that I needed a quart of oil every 1000 miles . Participated in a recall for this issue and after a monitoring period the dealer said it was in the normal range - no fix required.

I looked in the owners manual and discovered the dealer is right ..and I quote from the manual:

"Oil consumption: Max. 1.0 L per 1000

km (1.1 qt./600 miles, 0.9 Imp. qt./600

miles)"

The car was designed for excessive oil use. Since then things are worse and I'm lucky to get 500 miles on a quart.

- Joseph M., Medford, NJ, US

Dec 202016

RAV4 Limited

Toyota oil consumption. When changing the oil, the oil pan only drains roughly 2 quarts of oil. I checked online to see if there were any recalls on oil consumption for the make, model, and year of the car and there was. Unfortunately, when typing in the VIN it did not have a recall for that specific vehicle. But it did matched exactly what the symptoms of that recall was. I called the 1-800 customer help line and they were unhelpful. I was told the recall expired and the previous owner did not take action with the recall. This can be a huge road safety hazard for both the driver and other drivers around the vehicle. The car is consuming oil due to the pistons recall. Please help.

- Saulie V., Brooklyn Park, US

Jun 102018

RAV4

When I changed the oil there was only .5 quarts drained. I am now putting on average about 1 qt per week of oil into this engine.

- Robert B., Saint George, SC, US

Feb 262015

RAV4 LX

Known defect with many Toyota engines. Somehow they dodged having to do a recall. The fix requires new pistons and piston rings, so it's a major engine overhaul job. Would have cost Toyota many millions to correct, so they were able to put some nice limits on their liability and take responsibility for only a small percentage of the defective vehicles.

I bought Toyota because I trusted the brand and knew there would be no major issues. I was wrong. Worse: as a company, they've failed the consumer. Even worse: this will not affect their sales or popularity.

Update from Jun 5, 2018: The local Toyota dealer quoted $4000 to use Toyota's repair "kit" and do the repair.

I asked their sales team what trade-in value I could get on the car, and they said $500 without the repair, $4500 with the repair done.

- Ron K., Richmond, VA, US

Jan 022018

RAV4 2.4L

2006 RAV4 2AZ-FE is a 2.4 L is burning oil 1 quart every 500 miles. Dealer/wants to do a pressure test and replace the O rings saying they don't know why it's happening. I already spent $500 because they first told me to replace the lower oil pan and add gasket.

- Jason J., New Windsor, US

Oct 102017

RAV4 Sport

My car was purchased on December 6, 2006. All my services (each 5000 miles) was done by the same dealer where the car was purchased (Toyota South Atlanta). I had no problem until I reached 75,000 miles where all of a sudden my engine light came on my dash board. It required 3 quarts of oil. At my next service I request a test and test result was positive. I face the manager who let me know that the 10 years warranty had expired, I let him know that there was a recall exactly for that problem around 2013 or 2014 therefore his 10 years warranty can not be applied. He disagreed.

Please advice.

Serge

- dserge, Hampton, US

Aug 052017

RAV4 4 cyl

I received a letter from Toyota and their so call enhancement warranty program last year regarding excessive oil consumption. However at the time the letter said if you aren't experiencing this problem no need to respond along with the fact that they did not have the parts on hand for the repairs anyhow. So using the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy I carried on. This year around March or so I changed the oil like I have every 2500 miles along with the filter only the amount of oil that drained out was about 2 quarts less than expected. I thought maybe I had made a mistake so I started to monitor it and sure enough the problem had showed itself. So I took it in to Toyota today and they informed me that the October 31st 2016 deadline had passed and as a consequence I'm out of luck. So you see if you drive your vehicle less than average every year your actually punishing yourself. I can't blame the dealership and they gave me the number to Toyota and that was a waste of time. Bottom line is they don't care. I am in the business of new home warranty and regardless of time limits when you build in a defect you stand behind the product and take care of it and for those who don't they go through the legal ramifications and end up making the repairs and paying extra on top of it. But in this case I am just the average Joe who can afford a new car about once every 15 years so I guess should be held accountable for repairing "their" defect. There are several other issues with this car with the "dreaded front end clunk" that started around 50,000 miles and other minor issues that can be overlooked but I was planning on keeping this car awhile as it still looks brand new. The reason I purchased it was my wife had and still has a 1995 Toyota Corolla with 352,000 miles on it and it burns less oil than this one. I will pick this up at the dealership at the end of the day and I will take a bar of soap and write on the windows to let everyone knw what a "POS" it is and that Toyota will not stand behind their product. My parents own property along the interstate and it will be parked in plain view for all to see. This is the last Toyota my family and I ill ever purchase. In today's market there are enough vehicles to choose from and those who stand behind their product will hear from me. Today's Toyota and their products "Suck" as far as I am concerned. Save your hard earned money and go somewhere else.

- Bob S., Castle Rock, US

Aug 012016

RAV4 2.4L

Put a quart of oil in every 600-700 miles. Toyota replaced the pistons/rings under the TSB oil consumption, drove the vehicle 1,500 miles and the engine failed. So, now I'm out of a vehicle and Toyota is doing NOTHING about it. The Toyota left my daughter sit on the side of a major highway and oh, by the way, the vehicle only had 51,000 miles on it (year 2006) but the piston/ring replacement was done 1 year 3 weeks ago so beyond the "1 year warranty". How convenient.

An engine shouldn't go bad at 51,000 miles. Come on Toyota, you can do better than that. A loyal customer of Toyota for 40 years, sorry, but I'll go to Honda or Subaru from here on.

- Theresa R., Williamsport, US

Aug 152017

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

I've had the pain in the a*** problem way too long, not to mention the expense of the oil I have had to put in. I only have 119,00 miles on my RAV 4 and have really enjoyed it until this problem arose. I bought it new with only a few miles on it. I've been timely on all my oil changes, every 5000 miles, and have taken very good care of it. It's going thru the 2nd "oil consumption test" - the first one "only used 1 quart" in that a1200 miles so I'm hoping they'll fix the problem even though it's a little "out of the warranty". It's been a real pain!

Update from Jan 27, 2018: The second oil consumption test failed! I asked how much to fix it and they said "roughly $5000.00"! "ROUGHLY"? If there should be any "Class Action Suit, going on or starting, please advise me as I certainly want to be included! If I knew how to start I'd certainly be on it now and including all that I've listened to and read about. This is really the worst situation I've ever been in with my vehicles.

- Carole M., Pilot Hill, CA, US

May 022015

RAV4 V4

Around 2015 I took my SUV to the dealer that I bought it from and they suggested that I come back at 1200 miles and have the oil checked it was low but not has much as now. Every 1-25 months I have to put in about 3-4 qts of oil. Now they told me I have to have the rings gaskets and it may cost about $2,000.00 I am going to have someone else take a look at it and keep it for as long as I can and then buy a good used car next year.

- Florence H., Casselberry, US

Apr 062015

RAV4 2.4L

BROUGHT THE RAV4 TO HAVE CHECKED FOR EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION. THEY SAID IT DID NOT QUALIFY FOR THE FACTORY FIX, THAT WAS ON 4/ 6/2015, IT HAD 82820 MILES ON IT. THE 2ND TIME I BROUGHT IT BACK WAS ON 10/21/2016. IT HAD 102840 MILES ON IT. THEY SAID IT DID QUALIFY BUT TOYOTA REFUSED TO FIX BECAUSE IT WAS PAST THE COMPLETION DATE WHICH WAS 10/31/2016. I ALWAYS FELT THAT THIS VEHICLE USED WAY TOO MUCH OIL. COULD NOT BELIEVE IT DID NOT QUALIFY THE 1ST TIME. TOYOTA SCREWED UP AND THEY ARE TRYING TO GET TO BY AS CHEAP AS POSSIBLE AND THEY KNOW IT.

- Richard B., Bethlehem, US

Oct 032016

RAV4 LX V4

Have always had Toyota cars, very disappointed in the quality of my 2006 Rav4, can not go on long trips have no comfort level when driving. Concerned with my safety.

- Jill I., Long Beach, US

Jun 012015

RAV4

Excessive Oil Consumption. I had mechanics looked at my car and they even told me it's the engine. It's not normal for the engine to consume that much oil. I took the car to Toyota Dealership and they tested it for oil consumption, they told me to call them right away once the oil light comes on.

This is about Oct 14, 2016 they filled my oil tank and sent me on my way. Nov 1st, 2016 I called them and told them that my oil light started to come on. The representative that was originally helping me on Oct 14th told me that I just missed the deadline for the recall to fix the oil consumption. I missed it by one day, which he never told me the deadline to begin with. He told me to just call him when the oil light comes on. He said he is going to ask the dealership for approval to see if they consider.

The mechanic from the dealership also told me that the engine was excessively consuming oil. When the rep asked for approval, I was denied. The dealership will not fix it all, which is not fair because I was not the one that put a default engine in their car. I was the only owner of this car, oil changes and car maintenance are all up to date.

TOYOTA YOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS OR YOUR GOOD NAME WILL BE DRAGGED INTO THE MUD!! YOUR CARS WERE SUPPOSED TO BE RELIABLE AND HAVE LONG LONGEVITY!! YOU ARE BREAKING YOUR PROMISE TO YOUR CONSUMERS! I HAVE DRIVEN TOYOTA CARS MOST OF MY ADULT LIFE,. THIS IS MY 3RD TOYOTA CAR AND I'M SO DISAPPOINTED!

- Sharon A., Trabuco Canyon, CA, US

Jun 012017

RAV4 6 cyl

I purchased a Toyota because I know they are dependable and usually have little to no problems. They are known at the inspection station as a 'sticker sucker' since they easily pass inspections.

I was shocked when I took my car in for a recall only to find it was low on oil. They filled it for me. Two weeks later I took it to my mechanic to have him check the oil. It was down 2 quarts. I reset my trip odometer. Now, 2000 miles later I have put 4 more quarts in.

It's bad enough that I owe more on the car than it is worth. I have a hard time justifying spending a couple thousand to have the pistons worked on.

If there is no recall, I will trade for a different vehicle but not buy a Toyota again. It's too bad because I like the car.

- Donna M., Durham, ME, US

Jun 282017

RAV4 Sport V4

My RAV4 has been consuming excessive oil and when I took it to the Toyota Service station, I am told it needs engine overhaul to include piston and quoted $5258.

When engine oil sign on dashboard has been going on since June 2016, and every 5000 miles the service center tops the oil it got fixed. And intermittently, I had to top the oil. The matter has gone undiagnosed until 6/28/17.

When I look back it was a global issues with Toyota http://www.toyotaproblems.com/trends/excessive-oil-consumption/

I DID NOT receive any letters from Toyota about this issue.

Toyota saying the warranty extension program expired in October 2016 and they will NOT provide any assistance and NOW I am faced with a big bill.

- Dexona D., Charlotte, NC, US

Sep 052016

RAV4 Limited 2.4L V4

Been through a couple of iterations from local Toyota dealer mandatory oil consumption test. Although the car is burning oil close to a quart a month, dealer/manufacture will not repair/replace the rings. I was told by Corp. and local dealership that the extended warranty repair will be completed only if the excessive oil consumption reaches more than a quart a month. I'm stuck with a car that will not be repaired by Toyota and I can't sell the car with the oil consumption problem.

Will NEVER buy another Toyota product and have told relatives and friends to do the same. Frustrated customer with no options but to add oil monthly and keep driving the unreliable 2006 Toyota Rav4.

- Ed L., Elk Grove, US

Aug 012016

RAV4 Limited V6

When I got my Rav4, I could gp 6,000-7,000 between oil changes. I always took it in for all its maintenance checks at the dealership. When it hit around 100,000 miles, I took it in for an oil change and they said there was hardly any oil in it. I actually took it in at around the 4,000 mile mark because the oil light flickered a little bit. I thought it was strange, but had them do an oil change and just dismissed it. However, it kept getting worse to the point where I have to add oil every 1200 miles or so. I took it to the dealership and told them I thought the engine was burning oil. They said they'd do a consumption test. They did the test and said it passed and there's no problem. I told the service guy that it can't possibly be running right and I wanted something done before my warranty was up -- I was at 110,000 miles at that point, and two months from the end of the 10 year warranty. He told me I don't have to worry, that my warranty "isn't up until 150,000 miles so to just keep watch on it" and if I have a problem again, to bring it back in. Once again, I was hitting the 3,100 mile mark and my oil light flickered when I took a corner. I checked the oil and there wasn't even enough oil in the engine to show on the dipstick. I called the Toyota dealership and after being sent to many people, they all said the same thing, "Sorry, but you're past your 10 year warranty, so this isn't covered." My son-in-law then found this website and found out that this isn't just me, but the same thing is happening to a lot of people with this car.

- Terry T., Huntley, US

Jun 012016

RAV4 LX 2.4L 4 cyl

I did oil changes every 3,000 miles. At 130,000 miles I started going through a qt of oil every 1,200 miles. Very disappointed in Toyota new standard of quality.

- srobhiksr, Lakewood, US

Mar 012017

RAV4 2.4L

This is my 8th Toyota. Love the cars..but not this one...it is baad...never buy another Toyota..for sure. To go to the shore on vacation I have to load 8 qts of oil to make the round trip.

- Frank K., Carlisle, PA, US

Feb 282017

RAV4

In December, ran out of oil 3000 miles after oil change, Did the Excess oil consumption test , burned a half a quart oil in 1200 miles. Toyota said test wasn't done right so repeated the test with the same 1/2 quart low results. So it failed the test, in other words, Toyota denies there is a problem. The test was done by a local garage who is approved to work on Toyota's, and they were in touch with the dealer.

800 miles later, oil so low not registering on dip stick. I happened to be in the city, so Took it to dealer, ( I live 220 miles away from dealer) they confirmed dipstick showing no oil. Added a quart, came up to safe level. Said I would have to wait 5000 miles to recheck and do consumption test again. I only drive about 7000 miles a year. Concerned that there is a problem and feel unsafe driving very far. Don't trust Toyota dealer. They told me to keep checking the oil every 1000 miles, keep a few quarts with me and add it as needed. This seems to me there is a problem.

- Linda W., Homer, AK, US