7.8

$1,000

1. replace touch screen, radio, navigation, phone (8 reports)
  3. replace radio/navigation (2 reports)
2014 Toyota RAV4 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Toyota RAV4:

2014 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Nov 032020

RAV4

click to see larger images

infotainment system stopped working

Earlier this week our car audio system stopped working and is continually trying to reboot.

I took it to our dealer who advised it was a recurring problem with the SUV and would cost between $5,000 to 7,000 to replace. It's unacceptable on a 2014 vehicle. We have contacted Toyota Canada to see how they can help but there has been no response to date.

- Peter W., Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada

Dec 132020

RAV4 LXE

Looked on line for repair ideas and landed on this page. Will contact dealer tomorrow and get estimate from car radio dealer. Not under warranty.

- Nancy S., Winterville, NC, US

Jan 312020

RAV4 Limited

I am so mad. I bought a brand new Toyota RAV 4 Limited in 2014. Of course the warranty just ran out and the entertainment system breaks. I took it to a service centre and they said it's done and will cost approx. 2500 to 3000 to replace. Did I not spend enough on this brand new car? I contacted Toyota and they said we are sorry for the inconvenience but there are no recalls and you are out of warranty .. can't help you. I will never buy a Toyota again. How does something break after 5 years? What a piece of crap. I'm trying to get rid of this thing and buy a Honda as soon as possible. BYE TOYOTA.

- Angie S., Langley, BC, Canada

Mar 012020

RAV4 XLE 2.5L

Research says this is a common failure on the 2014 RAV. I will shop aftermarket and avoid the stealerships. This is our first Toyota, and will likely be our last. Toyota has fallen from it's once lofty place as a high quality product. Most others are just as good or better these days.

- Dave V., Hillsboro, OR, US

Jul 222019

RAV4 XLE 2.5L

Nav system flickers in/out like it's trying to reload, cannot use Bluetooth, phone, radio, or nav, only back-up camera image appears on the screen correctly. Took it to Toyota and the problem was written up as;

This is written as-is from Toyota Tech; 41745 RADIO HAS STEADY 12V POWER SUPPLY, INTERNAL FAILURE IN RADIO CAUSING RADIO INOPERATIVE. CAN NOT CHECK FOR UPDATE RADIO WONT GO PAST LOADING SCREEN, RECOMMEND REPLACEMENT. 100319

An estimated cost to repair was listed/written up for $1543.81 of which was estimate was printed on July 26th, 2019 as a repair estimate/cost.

The problem started on a Monday, 22 July 2019 after an oil change and a reset service light. The next morning I noticed it would not connect to Bluetooth, (for radio listening) then it began to cycle on and off, screen went black, then shut off completely, then the next several days, system began to try and load, but never successful. I had all fuses checked, all were operating as intended. So here we are. I have not seen any recalls as of yet.

- mowhite1, Columbia, US

Mar 112019

RAV4

I came out of my doctors appointment and got in the car. When started, the entire navigation/radio/Bluetooth system wouldn't work. It just gave me a screen with what looked like the system was rebooting.

I brought the car to the local Toyota dealership. They said the navigation/radio/Bluetooth system needed to be updated for $190. Not happy, but I really need the phone and navigation system to work. At my age that is very important. After an hour they came back and said they couldn't update it. It needed to be replaced at a cost of $1300.

I'm a retired widower living on a small pension and social security. I can't afford $1300. Dealership said there were no recalls or mention about this problem. I went home and checked online. There are numerous complaints about the very problem I'm having. Initially I thought "Oh well, what can I do. I'll have to do without the system."

This is the first site that I am registering my complaint.

Someone please help this lonely old man get my system working again.

- Wayne P., Sparta, US

Oct 272018

RAV4 XLE 1.8L

CANT BELIEVE 30,000 DOLLARS FOR RAV4, NOW 54,000 MILES RADIO/NAVIGATION SYSTEM ALL LOCKED UP AND DEAD,THEY WILL NOT HONOR REPLACE. LOOK UP ON YOU TUBE OTHERS HAVING SAME PROBLEMS. ENTUNE RADIO SYSTEM SUCKS. COST OF REPLACEMENT 1,800 DOLLARS. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!

- Thomas T., Piscataway, NJ, US

Dec 012018

RAV4 XLE 2.5L I4

TOYOTA has been really good to me. Almost all problems are fixed even outside of the short warranty that they offer. My gripe here is that the there is a know issue with the cheap infotainment system cutting out and the software keeps rebooting. The radio is unusable and the dealer wants to charge $1300 to replace the radio with a re-furb. A better aftermarket system can be installed for $300. Toyota and the dealers need to find a solution to faulty systems, especially the infotainment systems that have become so important to drivers. I'm now going to sell the car and in is going to cost the same as transmission to replace a crappy radio.

- John P., Houston, US

Jan 162019

RAV4 XLE

click to see larger images

infotainment system stopped working

I researched this issue and this appears to be a very common issue with the 2014 RAV4's. Luckily mine was covered under my extended warranty, but I have included the total cost that was covered under warranty so the total cost is known. I will be calling Toyota to lodge a complaint about this issue, and I encourage everyone here to do so as well. If these are $1,000 a pop, then from what I've seen on YouTube and here on carcomplaints, this might be in the hundreds of thousands of damages if everyone pays to replace the radio.

This is unacceptable for a radio in a 4 year old Toyota to be failing at such a high rate, I hope they will do the right thing and issue a recall, and find a fix to stop it from happening. I am worried that in another 4 years this radio will fail again, and this time it will not be under warranty.

- Jake S., North Reading, MA, US

Nov 262018

RAV4 LE 2.5L V4

Purchased by RAV in March of 2014. Late Nov. 2018 began having trouble playing CD's, within days the whole head system shut down. Just brought the car in for usual maintenance and had them look at the system. I was told it had completed fried and needed to be replaced. the cost would be $999.00. To say the least I was very irritated and disappointed that this has occurred. I have been a Toyota owner for the past 18 years and have never had this happen before. I had even purchased an extended warranty, that I thought covered everything, but was told this was not part of the warranty. I am retired, and just do not have that kind of money to throw out the door. This will certainly give me second thought in purchasing a Toyota in the future.

- Jeff B., Santa Ana, CA, US

Apr 022018

RAV4 LX 4 cyl

Audio system stopped working. I get a blue screen that appears to be trying to load, but never does. Radio, CD, and Bluetooth not working. Others have reported this problem. Those that had it "fixed", had to replace the entire audio system at a cost of about $1,200. This appears to be a Toyota defective system. Therefore, I have no guarantee that it won't just happen again after another 50K miles or 3.5 years. IF I have to pay to have this fixed I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER TOYOTA !!!

Fuses are all good. Disconnecting the battery does not correct the problem.

- Joseph Y., Durham, NC, US

Dec 212017

RAV4 ES

12/22/2017 My 2014 Toyota RAV4 radio, navigation, phone all just went blank @ 57,000+ miles. I went to Fox Toyota in Auburn, NY & paid to have the diagnosis done. They said the whole radio is no longer any good, it is out of the 3 year /36,000 mile warranty & has to be replaced at a cost of $1300.

I then called Toyota customer service & was also told that I am out of warranty however; they offered me a $300.00 rebate (only if I purchased a new radio/navigation/phone) & went through a Toyota dealership. I told them that I am the only one who ever drives this car & was very curious why the radio would just fail out of the clear blue sky. They said that is just how it is & the offer is the best that they could do. I am not at all happy or satisfied; as I thought that Toyota was a much more stand up company than this.

- satchel60, Moravia, US