CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 10 of 12)

Jun 122012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that there were several attempts before the ignition key would turn into the off position. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who replaced the ignition tumbler. The failure persisted after the repair was performed. The malfunction caused the battery to weaken and required a charge. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Savannah, MO, USA

Mar 142011

Cobalt 4-cyl

While driving down the road all power windows quit, at a later date the car started idling rough, air bag light came on this continued for some time then all the dash lights and head lights started going crazy as well as the instrument panel gauges going haywire, this is a continuing problem as dealers have no clue what's wrong.

- Cowden, IA, USA

May 302011

Cobalt

My husband and I purchased the vehicle in question in April 2007, at approx. 50,000 miles my car started to miss, then began to accelerate on its own and lunge as I was coming to a stop. We brought the car back to dealer where purchased, we were then sent on "wild goose chase, " first we were told it was a fuel pedal sensor, nxt they replaced the computer, followed by the wiring harness, this however, did not fix the problem, we took it back for a fourth time and the ended up rebuilding the head on the motor, car has not ran correctly ever since. We tried to file a lemon law claim but needed four receipts to prove warranty work, we had three and after the fourth when picked up car the dealer would not release fourth, that was a year ago. My car now has 88,000 miles on it, it is beginning to idle rough again and when I put fuel in it, the car does not want to start, at first it will not do anything, and then it will try to turn over but will not start I then have to slam the fuel to it in order to get it started, once it starts it will idle rough and I have to keep giving it fuel in order for the idle to smooth. This is the worst vehicle I have ever owned, I will be hard pressed to ever buy another Chevy!!!!!!!

- Cabin Creek, WV, USA

Mar 172012

Cobalt 4-cyl

I placed my car in park last night, but for some reason my key got stuck in the ignition. The ignition would not turn back to the lock position for the key to be released. I checked my car's wheels to make sure they were straight and every other thing that I could think of to try and make the key go to the lock position. After reading the manual, I was able to find that there was a cap on the panel under the steering column, that once removed, contained an emergency release button that when pushing it allowed for the ignition to be turned to the lock position and they key to be released. I have started my car several other times and encountered the same problem. I did a fair amount of research and read a number of reviews on the internet, and I came to realize this is a rather common problem in the Chevy Cobalt. It now seems that I will have to pay several hundred dollars to have this common problem diagnosed and remedied, so that I won't have to push a special button for my car to turn completely off and have my key released from the ignition every time I drive.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Mar 062012

Cobalt

On March 4, 2011 I had my 2007 Cobalt's electrical power steering fixed due to the recall I received in the mail. This was as emich chevorlet in Colorado. Recently I have been having issues making turns at slower speeds and sometime unable to turn at all. I contacted my personal shop and was told the dealer needed to do the work and the recall should have fixed this defunct part. I contacted the dealer today who straight away told me it was not their problem. If you scour the internet numerous people are still posting that even after the recall these parts (steering) are still failing and causing accidents. I should not have top pay for a part that cannot last a year and 3 days.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Sep 302010

Cobalt 4-cyl

The complaint is for the radio in my car. It was working fine then it started having issues with the speakers cutting in and out. The problem I have is with the radio it's tided into the safety features of the car and lets you know if you have an issue with your car. If you forget your seatbelt it dings letting you know it hasn't been buckled and keeps dinging until you put it on. If you turn your blinker is on it makes a noise with the blinker so you know it"S on. If your blinker stays on it lets you know to turn it off. If your car has mechanical issues it will dings letting you know something?S wrong. As it sits now my two front speakers don?T work at all so I don"T know if something is going on with my car beforehand. If my car was to overheat I wouldn't know until it actually broke down on me. At least if I was to hear a chime or the warning before any damage could happen that would be helpful. Also this is supposed to be a safety feature for the car and the person driving it. I've read that this is very common in this model car and I would like to have this fixed. Hers one of the links you can read for yourself. www.topix.com/forum/autos/Chevrolet-Cobalt/tduj7vfpaec901fn4.

- Brandon, MS, USA

Jan 202011

Cobalt 4-cyl

Rear window defrost stopped working. Was told by dealer that the connector for the rear defrost was melted. Upon doing research on defective rear defroster on 2007 Chevy Cobalt, this appears to be a common problem with this make/model/year. I believe there should be a recall for this part.

- Franklin, WI, USA

Nov 102008

Cobalt

I can not remember the date or mileage of first occurrence. I bought this car in July 2006 new. The main annoyance with this car is the bushings. I have gotten them fixed 3 times since 06, and yet making the noise again when I break which indicates they need to be replaced again. Second annoyance is the radio, I have had my speakers replaced as only the back ones would work. Every winter my speakers go out, one day will be the left front, next day will be front right - they choose when they want to work and when they do not want to, and the other day none of the sound would work! third my RPM's will randomly shoot up while I'm driving, going at a constant speed. Not very happy with this car...

- Streamwood, IL, USA

Sep 082010

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received notification of NHTSA recall number: 10V073000 ( steering:electric power assist system) and took the vehicle to the dealer for repairs in September 2010. Shortly after the recall was performed, the contact started having electrical issues intermittently. When the electrical failure occurred she noticed that the power steering warning light was illuminated on the instrument panel, the radio would shut on and off, a picture of a lock symbol would illuminate on the instrument panel and all the lights on the vehicle would flash on and off, including the exterior lights. Once the vehicle was powered off and then on it would reset itself and perform as normal. The failure recurred intermittently. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer did not offer any assistance. No repairs were performed. The current mileage was 137,000 and the failure mileages were 83,000.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Oct 222011

Cobalt 4-cyl

My husband bought his car Nov.6, 2008 and since that we didn't have a problem anything but that one window on the right of the back seat won't move. Anyway, on Oct.22, 2011, my husband was coming home from work when the power steering went off, thank god he made it safe to our home. On Monday, he made the appointment to the dealer place for the recall we kept on putting off. So the following morning, Tuesday, the dealer replaced the electric power steering. The car was working fine that whole day. The next morning, the car won't do anything at all. The un/lock button won't work as if there's no power and the car won't start.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Sep 212011

Cobalt 4-cyl

Purchased vehicle brand new in 2007 and no problems till now. 22 year old daughter driving vehicle, she is a college student. She drives in major city daily and driving home from school gauge cluster went crazy and power steering went out. Scaring her, she parked the car in a church lot and I sent the car to a dealer the next day. I had found on the internet that there was a recall on the power steering assist motor and informed the dealership of such when the work was to be done. They replaced the motor under the recall but also charged me $780 to replace the steering column which they said was bad. I have found 1000 + complaints on the internet of people saying their steering columns were supposedly bad as well with 1 person having theirs replaced 3 times now. She picked the car up and 2 weeks later the same thing occurs again. The dealership looks at it for 4 days and claim they can't find anything wrong so do nothing but investigate. They claim the codes were erased on the computer because we drove it after the fault but the car was parked and immediately hauled to the dealer on a flatbed truck. As I said before there are well over 1,000 complaints on the internet that I have found myself so I am sure there are a lot more. As soon as I can afford it this car will be put in town square with a big lemon sign on it and she will be driving something other than GM.

- Vevay, IN, USA

Jul 102011

Cobalt 4-cyl

Strong smell of gas when im driving the car in and outside. The car has trouble starting, I had it checked and was told there was a fuel leak. Called GM and was told even though their was a special coverage for my state they would not fix the leak. This is a dangerous leak due to a faulty plastic part. I hope my family doesn't die from inhaling fumes or blow up. Kinda makes you think its another pinto exploding gas tank deal. I guess they wont do anything until someone dies. I have had many problems with this car starting a week after I bought it new. Knocking when the engine starts, using oil now, airbags not working, small electrical things keep going wrong. When I take it in im told they cant reproduce the problems.

- Sevierville, TN, USA

May 022011

Cobalt

I have had to replace the sway bar links, control arm bushing and the shifter in order to get my car inspected this year. Another problem I have is the blinkers not making the clicking sound, they work but I was told I have to replace my front speaker. I feel like that is a lot to go wrong with a vehicle in one year. I also think that these problems shouldn't have happened this early. I only have 57,000 miles on my car. Something should be done with these vehicles seeing how there are many other people having the same problems with their cars.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Feb 122010

Cobalt

I have a 2007 colbalt lt and had to have the brakes and struts replaced at 40,000 miles. The front of the car was shaking when putting on the brakes and had a loud noise. I took the car to a repair shop when they replaced the brakes and struts. The struts shouldn't go up this quick. Now the key gets stuck in the ignition.

- Middle River, MD, USA

Jan 092011

Cobalt

The key can not be removed from the ignition switch. Eventhough the shifter is in the park position. The key does not return to the remove position. You can turn the engine off, but the key remains in the accessory position so the battery runs down. Repeated efforts of cycling the shifter and turning the wheel does not rectify the problem. When I took it to the dealer the shifter was replaced at a cost of $287. Fortunately, this happened when I returned home and was able to park in my own garage. It would have been unfortunate if I had been on a trip or an important errand and would have to left the key in the ignition in a public area. When I "googled" this problem on the internet in an effort to find a simple solution, I found numerous similar complaints in regards to the Cobalt car.

- Moore, OK, USA

Dec 282010

Cobalt

The contact owns 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the key became stuck in the ignition while the vehicle was shut off. The contact was unable to lock the doors to the vehicle when the failure occurred. The dealer advised the contact to bring the vehicle in for diagnosis. The manufacturer was contacted and attempted to walk the contact through manually releases the key but to no avail. The key remained stuck in the ignition. The vehicle was not repaired. The current and failure mileage was 50,058.

- Eaculaire, WI, USA

Nov 202010

Cobalt

Driving down the road the power steering light comes on, power steering goes out, RPM, speedometer and fuel gauges go to zero then rapidly move back and forth, transmission slips, check engine light and auto theft lights come on. I have had the power steering recall fixed. This has happened multiple times now. At first it would go away if the vehicle was restarted, however, now I have to have it towed to the dealership to have it fixed. This will be the second trip to the dealership in 1.5 weeks.

- Nevada, IA, USA

Oct 192010

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds the indicator sound is not functioning. He stated that they are functioning but the noise that occurred when signaling is the failure. The vehicle has not been inspected by a dealer. The failure mileage was 37,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Sterling Heights , MI, USA

Nov 152010

Cobalt

The left front speaker started going out (couldn't hear words or music well). Soon after it completely quit working and when it quit so did the right side. It's only the door speakers. The back ones work fine.

- Zebulon, NC, USA

Oct 292010

Cobalt

Since vehicle was new issues with radio and left speaker, dash lights flashing on and off, complaints to dealer went un-resolved until warranty was over then they wanted to look at it. Now at 52,000 miles instrument panel and tail lights went out, static on radio. Found blown fuse, replaced and it blew out again, leaving me with no instrument panel lights or tail lights. Have found similar complaints on other web sites. As of present time no solution to the issue. Failure occurred at 5am while driving on the interstate.

- Janesville, WI, USA