Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 6 of 10)

Feb 042013

Cobalt 4-cyl

Fuel pump/sender assembly leak - this issue is a recall issue in several states, including Arkansas, but not Missouri or Kansas.

- Lees Summit, MO, USA

Jan 102013

Cobalt 4-cyl

After exiting the vehicle, the smell of raw gasoline was noticed. On February 4, 2013, while having new tires installed, a local service center notified us that gas was leaking from the top of the gas tank.

- Lehighton, PA, USA

Dec 072012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Cobalt began noticeably loosing fuel and appeared to be losing power when gas pedal was pushed. Shortly thereafter the check engine light came on. Within a few days every time the car was driven the loss of power while driving progressively got worse. Drove the car to a "certified GM mechanic at the local Chevy dealership" for a diagnostic check who stated the car needed a new motor; ($ 3000.00). Had to have the vehicle towed from the "certified Chevy repair shop" to a different mechanic because it now would not even start, which new (honest) mechanic said there is a major problem with the fuel pump/fuel propulsion system. Consequently while doing some research online we are now finding many complaints similar to ours on this make and model but for some reason due to our geological location our vehicles are not under the 2009 recall for fuel/propulsion issues? is appears obvious that it is a manufacturing issue that should cover all 2007 Chevy Cobalts not just some in a few select locations.

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Jan 082013

We took our 2007 Chevy Cobalt into our Chevy dealership here in roseville, ca to get our recalled fuel sensor replaced. We were then notified that our fuel tank needed to be replaced due to a crack in it, and that we are now looking at an $800+ repair for a new fuel tank. This car has never been in an accident or anything, so I know it did not crack from that. After doing a little bit of research I have found that a number of people are being affected by a) the sensor failure, outside of "qualified" states, and are not being addressed, and B) a number are getting the same call from dealerships about their whole fuel tank needing to be replaced due to this cracking. To me it seems that Chevy probably used the same materials on the fuel tank as they did this sensor that needs replacing due to "heat". now along with the sensors cracking, the tanks are doing the same only they are not covering them in a recall. I find it hard to believe that these complaints are just coincidence and that I can find a handful of complaints online about the same thing, who knows how many people have been affected by this issue and are now set back over $1000 for the repair.

- Citrus Heights, CA, USA

May 072012

The contact owns 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that when the vehicle was refueled to capacity, the fuel would leak over the course of a few days. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who informed the contact that the fuel pump had failed and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline: Delivery: Fuel pump). The failure mileage was 5,000. The current mileage was 20,000.

- Colonial Heights, VA, USA

Oct 012012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Defective fuel pump. Leaks fuel could result in fire.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Sep 122012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Vehicle reeks of fuel and has a fuel leak. GM offered a recall in several states stopping at the one right below mine because the heat is the problem. Vehicle isn't driven nearly as much as others due to short distance to work, but they will not repair the problem.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Aug 302012

Cobalt 4-cyl

The plastic supply or return port on the fuel pump module in my vehicle has cracked which caused a fuel leak. I started to notice a strong odor of gasoline on the passenger side of my vehicle in late August. I called a local Chevy dealer and took my car in to have it checked out. I was informed that there was a recall for the fuel pump module for some 2007 Chevy Cobalt and while my VIN was within the affected numbers, my vehicle was not covered because of the state where it was purchased/ I reside. I have two young children and am not happy that GM would allow owners of their product be in danger when they know they have produced a faulty product. If recalls were issued in Arizona, California, Florida, Nevada, and Texas why do the rest of us have to deal with it"??" I read in usa today that GM would offer a repair to those experiencing this issue who were within a certain mileage but have not heard anything more from GM on this issue. "but the company also plans to send letters to owners in other states offering a free repair within a limited time period if the parts are cracked. That offer is valid for 10 years or 120,000 miles from the date the vehicle was sold, spokesman alan adler said." (

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Dec 192012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Car smells like gas when not being driven and car lost gas mileage.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Oct 152012

I started to smell a strong odor of gas and called to schedule an appointment with a local dealer. They discovered a fuel leak possibly from a crack in the fuel pump. Unfortunately, my car isn't covered in the recall because I don't live in one of the "affected" states. Smell is so bad we don't drive the car with our kids in it anymore - causes headaches. Waiting for GM to mail letters about this issue to everyone who is affected regardless of where they live. According to an article from October 2012 "..the company also plans to send letters to owners in other states offering a free repair within a limited time period if the parts are cracked." ---> hurry up GM before someone who isn't covered but has this gas leak gets hurt. Read more:

- Bloomington , IL, USA

Nov 152012

Cobalt 4-cyl

The plastic supply and return port on the modular reservoir assembly is cracked. Fuel is leaking from the area. Fuel can be observed dripping onto the ground. I am extremely worried about a fire. I have contacted a dealership about the issue and they have said my VIN is not included in the recall and the repair will be close to $700. This appears to be a common problem with this model year and make of vehicle as I searched online and there were thousands of similar issues that are "outside" of the affected area.

- Lake Geneva, WI, USA

May 012012

Started noticing strong gas smell with or without the car being on. Also hard to start. Took the car to get the power steering recall fixed at our dealers, they checked the fuel system because of the strong gas smell and said the fuel line was probably cracked. Looked to see if it was under recall. Not for our state. Had to sign a paper saying our car was "unsafe to drive". we live 10 miles from 2 states that this is a recall in. Called Chevy and was told they would do nothing for us because the recall is not in our state. I want this fixed. Its time you stood by your products.

- Carl Junction, MO, USA

Dec 042012

Cobalt 4-cyl

I received a recall notice for the fuel pump which indicated that the fuel pump module may crack and cause a fuel leak. As the technician was in the process of removing the gas tank to address the fuel pump recall issue, he identified a fuel leak at the filler neck on or to the gas tank. In the end, I had to replace the gas tank, but the fuel pump recall did not cover the cost. I am reporting this because I believe this could be a safety hazard due to a fuel leak. I did not find a recall for this issue.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Nov 012012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Strong fuel smell. Smells like it might be near the rear of the car. Worried about possible fire.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Feb 012012

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that after having the fuel pump replaced under NHTSA campaign id number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump), the contact could smell an overpowering odor of gasoline in the vehicle. The failure was present prior to the recall repairs. The contact replaced the fuel tank but to no avail. The contact stated that based on his inspection, the fuel fill hose connection was the cause of the leak. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the contact was awaiting diagnosis of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 65,000 and the current mileage was 70,000.

- Tuscon, AZ, USA

Oct 312012

Cobalt 4-cyl

My 2007 Chevy Cobalt started smelling very strongly of gas fumes- so much so that I was afraid to start it in the garage & began parking it outside. I then noticed puddles on the ground and my gas mileage dropped drastically from my average 30-32 highway mpg to about 18-19 mpg. I am currently overseas on military orders in germany. I had to wait for an appointment and got the car checked out and was told it has a major gas leak and is not safe to drive. It has a crack in the fuel pump and needs to be replaced. My complaint is that the recall on this defective fuel pump is limited to "warm weather states." A defective part is a safety concern that knows no geographical boundaries. I have been accumulating a lot of debt from having to have a rental car, which I am driving for safety reasons, until I can get an answer as to whether GM will replace my defective fuel pump. I should not bear the burden of the cost in addition to the inconvenience due to a known & recalled defective part based on my geographical location.

- Apo, AE, USA

Nov 192012

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that there was an overpowering odor of gasoline fuel from the inside and outside of the vehicle. The contact located a recall for the failure under NHTSA campaign id number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump) and called the manufacturer. The manufacturer then advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 133,000.

- Festus, MO, USA

Jun 012012

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that whether she was in or outside her vehicle she would get a strong odor of gasoline. There was also a leak. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician diagnose that the fuel pump was fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was unknown. The current mileage was approximately 96,000.

- New York Salem, PA, USA

Nov 052012

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while entering the vehicle, a strong gasoline fuel smell could be noticed inside the cabin. The vehicle was driven to the dealer where it was confirmed that the fuel pump failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the issue and notified the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump). The failure mileage was unavailable and the current mileage was 73,000.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Sep 012012

Cobalt 4-cyl

My car began smelling of gasoline and got worse over a few days. I took it to my repair shop and they had to replace the fuel pump. I then saw that there was a recall for this very same problem. I called GM and was told there was nothing they could do because I took it to an unauthorized shop for repair. Was I suppose to drive around in a car leaking gas until I could get to a shop they liked? I read on the internet that I was eligible for a reimbursement if I had already made the repair.

- Atlanta, GA, USA